Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 18:30

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
Do dairy products mess with your stomach? I know a couple people that when they eat dairy, it's like... gotta go!

Yes, but not usually that badly.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 18:49

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Do dairy products mess with your stomach? I know a couple people that when they eat dairy, it's like... gotta go!

People who have lactose intolerance have digestive problems.

For many of us, though, the problem is casein -- a protein in dairy products. In my case I've discovered through experimentation that dairy causes me these problems:

- headaches
- depression
- acne
- itchy skin
- keloid formation
- keratosis pilaris
- mucous in my throat
- inflammation around my throat and ears leading to tinnitus
- urinary incontinence (my doctor says this happens because the sphincter muscles get inflamed)
- alcohol cravings (I'm not alone in this; read here and here)

The problems with dairy run deeper than lactose intolerance.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 18:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I get a lot of those too, Allison, but add to that list: achy joints, spasming muscles and sinus infections.

I'm not 100% off dairy, but pretty close.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 19:05

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Quote:
I'm interested in the nutrition aspect. If the author has nitty gritty information why they prescribe the WOE that they do, I never skip that section. My brain is like a sponge! I guess I like both the nutrition and the biology aspect since they tie in together.

I will read your links later today :-)

edit:

I looked at both links and Briffa's seemed good. Does he follow the primal method or another variation of low-carb?

Merry Christmas, Thomas!

Brigitta,Dr.Briffa kinda steers clear of the Paleo/Primal labels and just pushes no sugar,proper fats,whole foods,proper Omega balance,etc..I really enjoy listening to his interviews on Jimmy Moore,and Sean Croxton as he seems very knowledgeable and sincerely trying to help patients..I really enjoy listening to his podcasts,he is very articulate and shares the information you're looking for!!
Here's the link..Dr.Briffa's Podcast

Merry Christmas to you too!!!

#20   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 19:23

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Oh wow, today my replies are riddled with typos LOL.

So with primal, dairy is okay? And then with paleo, dairy isn't? I'll look at Sisson's book in the section in what's allowed and not allowed.

I dunno about everyone else, but it's hard for me to put myself in one group. Right now, it feels like LCHF is what describes me the most. I think Atkins' book is an immense help for someone who is starting out, but I don't think he takes things far enough. For example, I don't ever want to eat potatoes or rice. As a sidenote to his book, it would have been nice if he explained ketosis more and why a lot of people can't turn the ketostix purple but can still be running on ketones.

My basic philosophy as of now is: eat real food, keep the carbs to a minimum, and go face-deep in saturated fat.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 19:27

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
People who have lactose intolerance have digestive problems.

For many of us, though, the problem is casein -- a protein in dairy products. In my case I've discovered through experimentation that dairy causes me these problems:

- headaches
- depression
- acne
- itchy skin
- keloid formation
- keratosis pilaris
- mucous in my throat
- inflammation around my throat and ears leading to tinnitus
- urinary incontinence (my doctor says this happens because the sphincter muscles get inflamed)
- alcohol cravings (I'm not alone in this; read here and here)

The problems with dairy run deeper than lactose intolerance.

Too bad I can't make cheese from coconuts!

It's the cheese, I tell ya. It just keeps me coming back for more. I would love to get rid of my acne. My skin is so oily.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 19:49

Default Is dairy Paleo?

Brigitta,here's what I find from all the interviews and blogs I go thru...Most people want to eat dairy in some form..It just makes dishes and this WOE easier...Loren Cordain is the only one who is definitely a NO on Dairy..Everyone else suggests to do this...Go strict Paleo (Whole 9 for example)for 30 days...No Dairy,no artificial sweeteners(not even stevia),no legumes etc...Then after the 30 days see how you look,feel and perform! Then add back in slowly some of the foods eliminated,for example add back in HWC,then see how you look,feel and perform..If you have NO issues then there is no reason you can't allow a moderate amount of that food in your diet...This works for all foods you may have sensitivity to...It truly is a YMMV,and you will only know for sure if you eliminate it for 30 days..
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 23:16

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Too bad I can't make cheese from coconuts!

It's the cheese, I tell ya. It just keeps me coming back for more. I would love to get rid of my acne. My skin is so oily.

Keep reading about inflammation. Acne is a symptom of inflammation. If it's affecting your skin it's affecting you in other ways too that are less visible.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-11, 09:06
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 340/313/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

I've begun to experiment with intermittent fasting, which I believe was likely a part of the eating patterns of early man. Do any of these guys talk much about IF?
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-11, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turmeric
I've begun to experiment with intermittent fasting, which I believe was likely a part of the eating patterns of early man. Do any of these guys talk much about IF?

Yes here is just one article by Mark Sisson on his site and he has blogged several others concerning IF...MDA-IF

Robb Wolf discusses Paleo and IF on Jimmy Moore's Podcast which I've linked here!

Finally here is a blog written by a staunch supporter of IF,who incorporates it in his physical training!!
LeanGains
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-11, 19:42
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 340/313/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

Thanks thomas. Those links are very helpful. I have started IF over the last few days, and it may be just a coincidence, but I was able to reduce my insulin dosage. Here is a old study that shows IF can improve insulin sensitivity. Maybe there is something to this

"Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men"
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-11, 22:51

Glad I could help.. Anytime you can lower insulin dosage is a great thing!!! Good luck and let us know your results!!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 11:15

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 253/237.1/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 14%

For what it's worth... I have Celiac Disease so this was easy for me to do! After eating this way since October, I have found I have reactions to corn and dairy too. I am wondering about soy as well, but I just cut it out anyway. I feel that my health is finally taking a positive turn for the first time in 15 years.

For years, I was treated for inflammation with steroids and more pills. I now fully believe that my whole problem has been food allergies. Then, I found out most of the medications I was prescribed contained both gluten and corn as fillers... When you take generics this is sometimes how they bind the formulations. I have since had them changed to a compounded med without those fillers and have seen huge results- I actually don't need most of them because my body is finally healing.

It has been a life saver for me. I have done Atkins and seen results, but this is a whole different animal. When you say you can't live without eating something, you seem to change your mind when it seems to affect your life and health.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 15:35

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Oh wow, today my replies are riddled with typos LOL.

So with primal, dairy is okay? And then with paleo, dairy isn't? I'll look at Sisson's book in the section in what's allowed and not allowed.

I dunno about everyone else, but it's hard for me to put myself in one group. Right now, it feels like LCHF is what describes me the most. I think Atkins' book is an immense help for someone who is starting out, but I don't think he takes things far enough. For example, I don't ever want to eat potatoes or rice. As a sidenote to his book, it would have been nice if he explained ketosis more and why a lot of people can't turn the ketostix purple but can still be running on ketones.

My basic philosophy as of now is: eat real food, keep the carbs to a minimum, and go face-deep in saturated fat.

I'm pretty much with you. My main influence is Atkins, but I'm reading and taking ideas from a lot of people. I don't like to be entirely dedicated to any one thing, that's too rigid for me. I also know what I can eat and what I can't eat. I eat very little dairy and necessarily keep it limited, but I don't want to rule it out entirely. I long ago chose to not eat starches as they simply kill my gut, as does gluten. So I stay away from all the grains. There are good things in the Sisson books and website, not all of which I would adopt in my own diet. Things have to be individualized to a certain extent, and I'm happy with that. As you said, "eat real food, keep the carbs to a minimum, and go face-deep in sat fat." Yep, that works best for me!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 16:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

I know I've come late to this discussion, but I am experimenting as well. I am about two pounds from my goal and want to find a way of eating that is a for life track. I have lost all my "want" for fruit, just a few veges call me but dairy, meat and fat..., I hear my name echoing in their voices. Birgitta and CMCM seem to be where I am now. I love cheese and would have a very hard time staying here if I did not allow myself cheese and cream in my coffee. So I am also growing to (I love this phrase!) eat real food, keep the carbs to a minimum and go face-deep in sat fat. Dr Mary Vernon says it best for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ

Last edited by Aradasky : Fri, Feb-17-12 at 15:22.