Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 18:51

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
I have never seen a study that says a person can do the same work when calories from diet are either 3000 or 500.

Part of this discussion depends on how we define "calories"---iow, are these the calories we eat, or do they also include LBM/fat-mass that's burned up as well?

If I eat only 1000 calories and am one of those lucky people who can drop 4 lbs a week (I wish!), that likely means my body is efficient at using its own resources along with the food I give it, to perform all its functions. So the calories I use to do stuff are 1000-food-calories plus 2000-body-calories, so I'm STILL using 3000 calories to do 3000 calories of work, while only eatingn 1000 calories.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 19:08

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch031
I also question all the people who eat very little on Atkins but stall. Is there any evidence that the person is truly not burning fat even though their calorie intake is likely much lower than they need?

If they're stalled and not burning body fat, by that definition their calorie intake is EXACTLY what they need. This question is a dead end. Taubes says it more eloquently, using an analogy he got from somewhere: the restaurant (adipocyte) is full to capacity because more people (fat molecules) have entered than left. That doesn't tell us a darn thing, though. And what you're questioning here is whether fewer people really have left. The interesting question is WHY aren't more people leaving?

As to the dead-end question, what kind of evidence would satisfy you? The people have said their doing Atkins and not losing weight. Do we believe it? The people have said their body temperature has lowered on low cals--do we believe them? The people have said they're not losing inches and don't have energy to do normal life things--are they lying?

If that evidence is insufficient, welcome to the glutton-and-sloth "fatty fatsos are just lazy lying liars" model of obesity.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 19:39

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
I don't dispute that. Its really how much of a change it would have on the metabolism that I dispute.

I also question all the people who eat very little on Atkins but stall. Is there any evidence that the person is truly not burning fat even though their calorie intake is likely much lower than they need?

Honestly, I think you are just trying to start something here.

None of the mainstream low carb plans recommend such a thing as 500 calories a day. That is a myth. There is variation between these diet plans. But they all tend to promote the idea that cutting back on starchy foods in favor of proteins, veggies and fats is healthier than a diet based on things like bread, pasta and potatoes. Based on the premise that the evolution of our metabolic systems has not kept up with the relatively recent availability and predominance of of these starches in the Standard American Diet, leading to things like obesity and type 2 diabetes.

Your question seems to be meanderingly directed at a hypothetical "stall" in a situation that even the Atkins diet would not ever advocate. That's why I think you are blowing smoke.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: custom
Stats: 196/191/175 Male 73"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannone10
Honestly, I think you are just trying to start something here.

None of the mainstream low carb plans recommend such a thing as 500 calories a day. That is a myth. There is variation between these diet plans. But they all tend to promote the idea that cutting back on starchy foods in favor of proteins, veggies and fats is healthier than a diet based on things like bread, pasta and potatoes. Based on the premise that the evolution of our metabolic systems has not kept up with the relatively recent availability and predominance of of these starches in the Standard American Diet, leading to things like obesity and type 2 diabetes.

Your question seems to be meanderingly directed at a hypothetical "stall" in a situation that even the Atkins diet would not ever advocate. That's why I think you are blowing smoke.

I think you are missing my point.

I'm not really putting a 500 calorie diet and a low-carb diet like Atkins together at all. What I'm talking about is two different diets that lead to the same myth. And that myth being that your metabolism slows down drastically when taking in too few calories.

On this forum you see responses to someone who stalls on Atkins to simply eat more food. I don't see how you can lose more weight when you are already taking in 20g of carbs or less, by increasing fat or protein calories. I wonder if what they're experiencing is more often than not due to water weight.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 20:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZigeuner
I mean---what if (1) calories in affects calories out, and (2) calories out affects calories in: eating more calories causes expenditure of more calories; and expending more calories causes eating of more calories.

What besides a complex system can possibly account for it? One answer is that the "system" is not exactly the same for the 3000 cal scenario and the 500 cal scenario.

It depends on what XYZ are. If to the body, X > Y > Z in importance, then the body that requires 3000 cals to do X+Y+Z but now only gets 500 cals, may only do X. But if the body continues to do XYZ on 500 cals, it may make several other changes, such as eliminating ABCDEFGH and cutting XYZ down to a minimum. These changes create a totally different system than the original, in other words, a different physiological environment on the latter (500 cals) than the former (3000 cals).

If Y or Z is exercise (voluntary large muscle movement), consider how efficient our large muscles are in terms of energy expenditure.

Cites please. And be skeptical of the skeptics (it's fun).

You didn't read the whole study. They differentiated between lost body water, lost body weight, and lost LBM, iirc. (All together these allow deductions about lost body fat.)

I hope you enjoy it. And be skeptical of what you read (because it's fun).

If you consider how many more calories you burn by running verses just sitting in a chair, I don't think the large muscles are that efficient. But yes, compared to fueling for instance a car they are very efficient.

But if you factor in exercise, I know that I can fast and still run several miles. If I run for 1 hour I tend to burn about 1000 calories. So when someone says if I fast I will go into starvation, I have a hard time believing that 1 hour run will suddenly require only half as many calories within a few days of fasting. I think instead that won't happen until I've already used up most of my fat, in which case I'll be too tired to run at all because my body can't provide the energy needed to run.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 21:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I guess I don't understand what it is you don't understand about starvation mode. It seems that you don't believe it happens. Because it really does. It happens to me consistently if I keep my calories too low, as it has happened to many, many other people. And every time I/we add more calories, kaboom, weight loss recommences.

I can't tell you exactly why, but don't doubt the truth of it, because it is a very real entity.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 21:57
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
I guess I don't understand what it is you don't understand about starvation mode. It seems that you don't believe it happens. Because it really does. It happens to me consistently if I keep my calories too low, as it has happened to many, many other people. And every time I/we add more calories, kaboom, weight loss recommences.

I can't tell you exactly why, but don't doubt the truth of it, because it is a very real entity.

The reason I don't believe it is because it appears to defy the laws of physics, and seems odd that in a normal healthy state with adequate calorie intake, the body is extraordinarily inefficient and just wastes thousands of calories every day that it doesn't even need. But as soon as you slow down the intake, suddenly it becomes efficient and can work miracles without actually burning any calories because it thinks its starving.

If adding more calories quickly leads to weight loss, then could it be water is released upon ingesting more calories? I know water retention does happen but is often unpredictable from person to person, but I don't think there are studies that definitively rule out water weight when it comes to low calorie intake and lack of weight loss.

Last edited by grinch031 : Tue, Dec-13-11 at 22:05.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 22:09

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud

On this note, I feel like I need to cut the OP some slack.

An expert has just chimed in with the scientific explanation that "...it happens, it really does......". And this person has posted here almost 20 thousand times????

Wow.......
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 22:53
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch
And that myth being that your metabolism slows down drastically when taking in too few calories.

Its not a myth at all. Its in our DNA for survival during famine. If a person eats 500 calories a day for an extended period of time, their metabolism will slow as a method of survival because the body will react as if its being starved to death. The body adjusts to survive.
Not much more to explain or understand about it...its just the way we've evolved as a race.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 23:00
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Its not a myth at all. Its in our DNA for survival during famine. If a person eats 500 calories a day for an extended period of time, their metabolism will slow as a method of survival because the body will react as if its being starved to death. The body adjusts to survive.
Not much more to explain or understand about it...its just the way we've evolved as a race.

'for an extended period of time' is where the myth turns into truth. If its for an extended period of time then you are going to burn tons of fat before you hit the point where your body's metabolism has to shut down. But once it shuts down you can't really do anything physically, which explains how you can function on so few calories.

That is not the same scenario as the advice given by dieticians that dropping below 1200 calories will halt your metabolism almost immediately.

But regardless I'm satisfied with some of the info and links I got on the subject here.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 23:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannone10
On this note, I feel like I need to cut the OP some slack.

An expert has just chimed in with the scientific explanation that "...it happens, it really does......". And this person has posted here almost 20 thousand times????

Wow.......

First of all, I don't profess to be an expert. And if you wanted your sarcasm to offend me, congratulations, you achieved your goal.

It just seemed to me that the OP rather blatantly expressed his disbelief that starvation mode exists at all, and I was merely endeavouring to show him that yes, it does happen. I believe that our knowledge of human physiology has a long way to go before we really understand how it all works. We are far more complex machines than the simple "calories in, calories out" model so beloved by so many low carb critics. And thank you to LaZigeuner for those links.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 04:46
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
'for an extended period of time' is where the myth turns into truth. If its for an extended period of time then you are going to burn tons of fat before you hit the point where your body's metabolism has to shut down. But once it shuts down you can't really do anything physically, which explains how you can function on so few calories.

That is not the same scenario as the advice given by dieticians that dropping below 1200 calories will halt your metabolism almost immediately.

But regardless I'm satisfied with some of the info and links I got on the subject here.

If your metabolism halted completely you'd be dead!

As Judy says, your body doesn't understand that you're dieting and trying to lose weight. It just sees 'famine' and slows the metabolism to try and compensate. Its a survival mechanism, as your body doesn.t know when food availability is going to increase, and wants to keep itself alive as long as possible.

Most people will lose on a 500 cal a day diet because the metabolism has difficulty slowing that much - it has to keep processes going, but there would be a lot of muscle loss. What generally happens is a person eats a very low calorie diet, can't keep it up indefinately, returns to eating what is still low calorie - say 1200 cal a day and find their metabolism has slowed to the point that they put on weight at this level of caloric intake.

There was someone who started a thread last week about having their BMR measured and it had dropped to 800 calories a day - this was someone who had been eating excessively low calories for an extended period - and they excercise a lot.

Lee
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 05:57
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
If your metabolism halted completely you'd be dead!

As Judy says, your body doesn't understand that you're dieting and trying to lose weight. It just sees 'famine' and slows the metabolism to try and compensate. Its a survival mechanism, as your body doesn.t know when food availability is going to increase, and wants to keep itself alive as long as possible.

Most people will lose on a 500 cal a day diet because the metabolism has difficulty slowing that much - it has to keep processes going, but there would be a lot of muscle loss. What generally happens is a person eats a very low calorie diet, can't keep it up indefinately, returns to eating what is still low calorie - say 1200 cal a day and find their metabolism has slowed to the point that they put on weight at this level of caloric intake.

There was someone who started a thread last week about having their BMR measured and it had dropped to 800 calories a day - this was someone who had been eating excessively low calories for an extended period - and they excercise a lot.

Lee

I'm perfectly fine with the idea that your calorie intake puts your body into a state to conserve energy. But my main point is that if the BMR drops that much, then the physical ability to exercise must also drop to account for the loss of energy.

So if I think it would seem more believable if a dietician were to say instead of following the 1200 calorie rule, they should not restrict calories such that it reduces their ability to be physically active and exercise. Because that fatigue would be an indicator that their metabolism has slowed down significantly.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 06:31
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
I'm perfectly fine with the idea that your calorie intake puts your body into a state to conserve energy. But my main point is that if the BMR drops that much, then the physical ability to exercise must also drop to account for the loss of energy.

So if I think it would seem more believable if a dietician were to say instead of following the 1200 calorie rule, they should not restrict calories such that it reduces their ability to be physically active and exercise. Because that fatigue would be an indicator that their metabolism has slowed down significantly.

Why do you think the ability to do physical activity is the the thing most affected - in times of famine activity is essential to find food, so limiting the ability to be active for the time it takes to search for food would be counterproductive. But if you tested your brainpower before and during 'starvation mode' you'd see a marked difference - the brain uses lots of energy.

With a low carb diet, eating to hunger is the best way to gauge calorie requirement - not artificially lowering calories. Your body will tell you how much food it needs if you feed it right, and learn to listen to it. The only caveat to that is those trying to lose those last vanity pounds.

Lee
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 06:36
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Why do you think the ability to do physical activity is the the thing most affected - in times of famine activity is essential to find food, so limiting the ability to be active for the time it takes to search for food would be counterproductive. But if you tested your brainpower before and during 'starvation mode' you'd see a marked difference - the brain uses lots of energy.

With a low carb diet, eating to hunger is the best way to gauge calorie requirement - not artificially lowering calories. Your body will tell you how much food it needs if you feed it right, and learn to listen to it. The only caveat to that is those trying to lose those last vanity pounds.

Lee

Well I'm thinking in terms of high intensity exercise, because its what allows your body to burn the most calories in any given period of time. My logic says that as long as I have the energy to exercise at a high intensity, it seems illogical that my metabolism could be that much slower.