Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-11, 23:51

Plan: Primal
Stats: 478.4/248.0/228 Male 73
BF:28.9%
Progress: 92%

i am so grateful that i am fine with dairy, grain was really hard to give up but milk, cream and cheese
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-11, 10:12

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/202/165 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgerms
I use A2 milk, it's great. Take care with goat milk .. most of the time it's nice, just like cow milk, but then you may get one that tastes a lot like, well, a goat.

As a goat keeper, I know you get 'goaty' milk some of the time if the milk isn't handled properly--- must be kept very clean and chilled promptly.

I've only had store-bought goat's milk a few times, though. One brand which was ultrapasteurized tasted very 'goaty' to me. Recently though my local grocery had some goat's milk which tasted good. But they stopped carrying it almost right away.

I can't really drink fluid milk because of the carb count and because it's too much of a temptation to have around the house. Maybe if I can get my one remaining goat bred and she's in milk again, I'll drink a bit of that.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-11, 18:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was just reading A2 milk has the same issues as milk with other sorts of casein. I can't remember where though.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-11, 17:12

Plan: Primal
Stats: 165/140/135 Female 5'10.5"
BF:
Progress:

I've had a problem with pasteurized milk my entire life. The daily consumption ended up in chronic sinus and throat infections (with no fevers). The mucous build up was just ridiculous!
I found a RAW dairy farmer locally who milks the goats by hand...omg delicious! No mucous whatsoever and NO sinus infections. But, I just found out that high (raw) dairy consumption over years results in a magnesium deficiency which results in chalky bones (brittle bone disease). So atm I'm supplementing with Magnesium everytime I drink a cup of raw milk...but want to wean myself off milk completely this fall/winter and just take a break and see how I do without ANY dairy.
Never done this so I'm sure I'll be crying and hissing a lot...I'm a total dairy addict.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-11, 08:32

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 253/237.1/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue333
I'm wondering why dairy causes so many of us to stall. I went dairy-free only because of this reason, not because dairy isn't paleo...I would have been a cheerful paleo-pervert if only dairy didn't make me stall! But WHY does it make me stall? It's not as if I ate an entire block of cheese at a sitting...really, it's just fat (yum) and protein (more yum) and no carbs at all.

I'm finding myself hungry mid-morning now, and I think it's because I'm not putting HFWC in my coffee. I just can't stomach putting coconut oil into it. I eat bacon and eggs almost every morning for breakfast and that should take me through to lunch, but lately it's not cutting it. I miss my dairy...specifically my HFWC! I'm thinking of trying coconut cream. I could even just eat a couple of teaspoons of it separate from my coffee!

If anyone can shed some light on the dairy=stall, I'd love to read it. Thanks for your time! I hope everyone has a terrific day.

I thought that too! Until last night... after being totally dairy free for about 3 weeks, I had some cheese at my in-laws (along with a few corn tortilla chips). After my paleo "plus" salad, I found myself anxious to get home to become sick in the privacy of my own home. Stomach, congestion and a great rash (probably from the corn). I think I would rather have a hangover this morning. My reaction is probably a little greater than most, but I think this is the root of my health (and weight) issues, food allergies. This is why I have chosen the Paleo. I think you just need to try to find what works best for you and when it stops working tweak it to see if what you are doing is no longer working.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-11, 09:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
Is cheese the only dairy product that does that to you?

Nope, just about all of them do that. Greek yogurt, kefir, dulce de leche