Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-11, 20:26
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Peggy's Black Forest Cake

Today is hubby's birthday and this is the cake he always asks for on his birthday. What truly sets this recipe apart from all the other Black Forest Cake recipes you come across is the addition of a chocolate mousse layer and the fact it has Kirshwasser liqueur (cherry brandy) in both the mousse and cherries.

This has been my signature dessert for many many years. And for all those years I wouldn't give out this one recipe in my entire collection. I finally decided that was just downright silly. So after converting it to low-carb, I published that LC version on my recipe site recently. It required much modification beyond just subbing in for sugar and flour (several trials of that failed), but on fourth trial now, I think this version is fit for Christmas and dinner parties: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...ck-forest-cake/

As it's such a large cake and we don't entertain as much now that we are retired, this time I came up with a smaller version that just makes 4 adult servings. This I think will work out much better for hubby and me: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...ck-forest-cake/

DIRECTIONS:

STEP I - Cherry Filling:The day before needed, mix the following cherry filling ingredients in small saucepan except for the xanthan gum. Cook over medium heat stirring, adding xanthan gum in several light dustings, stirring well after each addition of xanthan gum. This is to avoid lumps in the thickener. I go for medium thick on this filling. Refrigerate overnight. If you got it too thick, not to worry. That’ll never be noticed in this cake. Stir it up to loosen the sauce before applying to cake.

CHERRY FILLING INGREDIENTS:

1/2 can red sour cherries in natural juice, drained, saving liquid
1/4 c. of the reserved cherry liquid
1½ tsp. Fiberfit liquid sweetener (sucralose) or equivalent sweetener=1/4 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum or guar gum
1 T. Kirschwasser liqueur (cherry brandy)
few drops red food coloring
1/4 tsp. almond extract

STEP II – Chocolate Mousse: The day before cake is being served, prepare the chocolate mousse.

CHOCOLATE MOUSSE INGREDIENTS:

1 T. cocoa

½ pkg. (1 tsp.) unflavored gelatin

1 egg, beaten

1 c. total heavy cream

4 tsp. total granular Splenda

½ tsp. vanilla extract

1 T. Kirschwasser

Combine the cocoa with gelatin, the beaten egg and ½ c. of the heavy cream in a saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium heat and then remove from heat. Add 2 tsp. granular Splenda and stir well. In a separate bowl, whip the other ½ c. heavy cream until very thick and add remaining 2 tsp. of Splenda, the vanilla and Kirsch. Spoon a little of the whipped cream into the cooling chocolate mixture and stir to temper the chocolate a bit. Now pour the chocolate mixture into the rest of the whipped cream and fold the two mixtures into each other until smooth. Taste for sweetness and add liquid Splenda to your taste. Chill the mousse overnight or for a couple hours for flavors to mellow. Remove from fridge a bit ahead of applying to cake in case it is too stiff.

STEP III – The Cakes: The day you plan to serve, early in day, bake your cakes. I say early, because this cake needs to be assembled for at least 2-4 hours for the kirsch to soak into the bottom layer of cake. Preheat oven to 325º. I use this small silicone pan to bake my cakes which requires no greasing (pictured below). But 5″ quiche pans would work for this. Be sure to grease your pans well, and wax-paper the bottoms, too if not using silicone pans. This batter recipe will make 3 cakes this size, however only two of the cakes are needed to make this dessert. Save the third cake for some other use.

CAKE INGREDIENTS:

20 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed (I just use one 15 oz. can)

5 large eggs

1 T. water

1 T. vanilla (yes, that much!)

¼ tsp. salt

6 T. unsalted butter, softened

3/4 c. erythritol, powdered

2 pkts. stevia

6 T. unsweetened cocoa powder

½ tsp. baking powder

½ tsp. baking soda

Process the erythritol to a powder (if you buy granular like me). Add the drained, rinsed beans, soft butter, vanilla, eggs and water and process until smooth. Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl and add to the mixture in the processor. Pulse a few times to blend batter well. Of course, this can be done with an electric mixer. Spoon batter equally (This is really important) into the three pans. They will be approximately 3/4 full, but don’t worry, mine did not overflow. Place pans on a cookie sheet if using silicone pans. If using metal pans, be sure your oven shelf is level and level pans with a skewer or metal coat hangar if need be, as cake batter needs to be level in the pans. Bake at 325º for about 40 minutes. Ovens vary so check at 30 and 35 minutes to be safe. The cakes are done when dry to the touch and set in the center. Toothpick will test dry in the center as well. Remove from oven and completely cool before attempting to remove from the pans.

STEP IV – FINAL ASSEMBLY AND FROSTING:

Whip 1 c. heavy cream and add ½ tsp. vanilla and a few drops of liquid Splenda, or to taste. Set aside while you cut the cakes.

Gently tip cakes out of pans. Set one cake onto serving plate. With a long-bladed serrated knife, with a gentle motion, carefully cut laterally each cake into two thin layers as even as you can get them. Gently lift top layer off this first cake with BOTH hands slipping fingers toward center of cake to support it and prevent it breaking in half. (I have a piece of square of sheet metal I slide under the cake to support it while moving to prevent breakage). Gently set this layer on the counter until needed.

On bottom layer of cake, spread the cherry filling. Carefully lift and place next thin layer of cake on top. Now spread the chocolate mousse on top of that layer evenly. Slice second cake in similar manner as you did the first. Gently lift and add the third layer of cake on top of the stack. Spread with a ½ ” of whipped cream. Place the final layer of cake on top and now ice the entire cake with the remaining whipped cream, spreading evenly on sides and top so no chocolate cake or fillings are visible. Dust top of cake with shaved chocolate and sling a little also on the sides. If it falls all over the serving platter, that just makes the presentation prettier in my opinion. If you have one, place a whole maraschino cherry with stem and a sprig of mint in the center of the cake for visual impact.

Chill well (at least 2 hours) covered with a dome or inverted soup pot. Cut cake into four quadrants/servings. Enjoy!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 adult servings, each contains:

450 calories

28.95 g fat

24.32 g carbs, 5.85 g fiber, 18.47 NET CARBS (You can maybe cut into 5-6 servings for a lower carb count)

17.0 g protein

376 mg potassium

549 mg sodium

39% RDA Vitamin A, 37% B12, 16% calcium, 27% copper, 44% iron, 15% magnesium, 33% phosphorous, 37% riboflavin, 31% selenium and 18% zinc

If interested in cutting into smaller servings to pull down the numbers, the entire cake has 1764 calories, 115.4g fat, 97.2g carbs, 23.4g fiber, 73.8g net carbs, 66.92 g protein and 2196 mg sodium. So cutting into 5 pieces lowers each serving to 14.76g net carbs; cutting it into 6 pieces lowers each serving to 12.3g net carbs. I repeat, however, it will be difficult to cut the slices this small without them falling apart on you. That’s one reason I always do the bigger cake version for company.

Last edited by Rosebud : Sun, Dec-22-13 at 17:43. Reason: To add the recipe...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 04:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Ooooh, Peggy, I have a birthday coming up! This looks like a lovely project for me to tackle, and share with friends.

You are awesome!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 05:10
Patience Personified

I know you'll like this, WB. It's the one dessert that is so light I can eat it right after a big meal. It just LOOKS sinfully rich but it's always so pleasantly and surprisingly not.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 05:48
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Ooh, this can totally go on my list of low carbon goodies suitable for company! Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 12:47
Patience Personified

Making it is a bit strung out, but it always impresses company. As long as you have the time to put it together.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 12:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChice
Ooh, this can totally go on my list of low carb goodies suitable for company! Thanks!

Not a sweet treat, but I served noodless lasagna for our big holiday party last year. I love seeing their eyes go wide and they say, "So you eat this all the time?"
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 17:39
Patience Personified

It's always fun to show people how good our WOE can be. My husband is the worst skeptic. But he has had to admit a lot of my LC creations and conversions are just as tasty as the originals.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 19:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Yummmmmm Peggy!

Thanks for sharing with all of us. I might have to try this cake. I made a black bean cake not long after starting LC and did not like it very much. I trust you, so I will give this one a shot.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 19:53

Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

Peggy, can the leftovers be frozen? And can xylitol be used as the sweetener? Not sure what erythrozol (I know spelling is wrong) is. The recommended sweetnes is what I'm trying to spell. Thank for such yummy looking recipes.

Donna
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 05:13
Patience Personified

Rox, honestly, I taste no bean at all in this cake.

No, I would not try to freeze this cake, Donna. The cherries and bottom layer will likely get real watery/soggy when defrosted.

You can try to sub xylitol, but I've never used xylitol so I would have no idea how much. Honestly, I won't have it in the house as it's so toxic to animals. I have two mischievous 14# rat terriers who can snatch up a dropped bit of cake faster than you can blink an eye. And I'd worry hubby or I wouldn't forget and give the dogs a bite of something with it. Had a friend who lost her rat terrier a few years back to xylitol-sweetened chewing gum he got out of her open purse sitting on the floor. It's so toxic to them the vets can't do anything to save them.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 07:38
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

That's good to know. Thanks for the head's up! I tend to use stevia in the raw, and liquid stevia for my sweeteners. If I get a chance to make this recipe, I'll let you know how the substitution works out.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 07:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
Had a friend who lost her rat terrier a few years back to xylitol-sweetened chewing gum he got out of her open purse sitting on the floor. It's so toxic to them the vets can't do anything to save them.

What a shock that must have been! I too appreciate the heads up: though I have cats, and they are much less prone to such goody snatching.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 08:01

Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

By the way, happy belated birthday to your'e hubs!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 12:23
Patience Personified

Thanks, Rox. He sure enjoyed his cake. There's just one slice left for his dessert tonight.