Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 09:32
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I know everyone knows how to do this without me posting this recipe as being something unique. But I don't like how MIM's and other flax breads toast. So I have continued to experiment with my beloved oat fiber.

I don't grill many sandwiches, but I do love me a good grilled cheese once in awhile. I got that craving this week and tinkered around with one of my other bread recipes and came up with this one, which grilled toastier than any others I've tried in two years for this sandwich. It is pictured here and you can see it toasted quite nicely. And this was so filling, I could only eat about 3/4 of the sandwich! Best grilled cheese I've had in over two years! http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...heese-sandwich/

I have one of those cute little lidded plastic sandwich holders for kids lunch boxes and I use the bottom to make this microwave bread, but a square plastic container will do nicely. One recipe can be sliced laterally into two thinner slices after cooling and that is what is shown in the pic above. This recipe is suitable for Induction.

INGREDIENTS:

¼c. + 1T. flax meal, preferably golden
1 T. butter + 1T more for grilling final sandwich
2 T. sour cream
1 egg, beaten
½ tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. oat fiber
Pinch salt
1 slice American Deluxe cheese

DIRECTIONS: Melt 1 T. of the butter in microwave in a small mixing bowl. Add beaten egg and sour cream. Add all dry ingredients and stir well. Dip into square microwaveable container and microwave on HI for 70 seconds or until dry to touch in center. Cool a minute and tip out onto cutting board. Laterally slice as evenly as possible with a long knife. Melt a little butter on non-stick griddle and baste one side of each slice of bread. Place one slice on griddle, buttered side down. Add 1 slice of your preferred cheese (I use American or Swiss) and top with second slice of bread, buttered side up. Brown well on both sides. The browner it is the crisper it will be.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 sandwich which contains:

613 calories
55.8 g fat
14.5 g carbs, 11.6 g fiber, 3.9 g NET CARBS
18.9 g protein
756 mg sodium

53% RDA Vitamin A, 43% B12, 38% calcium, 58% copper, 45% iron, 49% magnesium 52% manganese, 74% phosphorous, 40% riboflavin, 53% selenium, 60% thiamin, 36% zinc and 454 mg potassium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 17:52

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Buttoni, I LOVE all your recipes!

You are awesome!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 21:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

Thank looks delish! I made your english muffin the other morning and I loved it. I couldn't believe how much it was like a real muffin. I used a toaster and was a little afraid of a grease fire from the butter dripping. I used less butter the next time-maybe a little too little and it was osomewhat dry, but still good. A toaster oven would be good in this situation. It was really good. I'm getting sold on the oat fiber. Much better flavor than the flax meal alone.

Donna
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 07:27
Patience Personified

Why thank you, ShopJunkie. I just love to cook so much and now that I can't eat sandwiches with the frequency I once did, and cant have the carby junk at breakfast, I'm cooking 3 times a day, 4 if I bake some new dessert. So the recipes ooze out of my head like (as my husband says) lava out of a volcano. So they'll keep coming!

My PC DSL line was cut by a cedar fence building crew out back a few days ago and what did I do for two days to solve the internet "withdrawal symptoms"? I cooked 5 new recipes I couldn't wait to post on my website when the connection was up and running again. I'm a hopeless kitchen junkie, huh?

Donna, I toasted mine dry and buttered after toasting, so no grease fire here. Glad you liked them! Oh, and I'm coming to think of my smidgeon of oat fiber in baked goods as the kiss of the Gods. Improves them all. The trick is determining how much. I start with ½-1 tsp. if small 1-serving recipes; try 1 T. in others and increase from there. Have never EVER used over ¼ in a cake or loaf bread. It just does wonders for flavor and texture IMO.

Last edited by Buttoni : Fri, Aug-12-11 at 13:44.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 08:36

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
So the recipes ooze out of my head like (as my husband says) lava out of a volcano. So they'll keep coming!

Well, this is good news for us!

Thanks, again, for sharing your creativity.

Elizabeth
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 13:45
Patience Personified

Always a pleasure to spread the goodness of tasty food to others, Elizabeth.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 17:09

Quote:
I toasted mine dry and buttered after toasting

Yeah, that's what I did too, but it was greasy right out of the microwave. I was concerned about the butter in the recipe. Maybe I did something wrong since it was buttery before adding more butter.

Donna
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 09:23
Patience Personified

Donna, only 1T. of butter goes in the English Muffin. Maybe you mismeasured? My muffin wasn't greasy/buttery at all really, as you can see in the pic for that recipe. Did you by chance omit the oat fiber? If so, that might explain what happened to yours. Oat fiber and oil/moisture in a recipe is a delicate balance, much the same way coconut flour and moisture are a delicate balance.

Last edited by Buttoni : Sat, Aug-13-11 at 09:29.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 14:04

I think I just mismeasured. I'm bad about guessing for recipes. It was really delicious. By the way, where do you get your oat fiber? It's hard to find.

Donna
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 15:07
Patience Personified

I buy the 4# bag from honeyvillegrains.com. And in two years, using it in all my baked goods, I've used quite a bit of it. I have maybe 1.5# left. But I recently learned netrition.com has smaller bags.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 18:53

Thanks Buttoni!

Donna
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-11, 09:33
Patience Personified

I discovered an error in nutritional info on this recipe today and want to direct people again to the website to make note of those number changes on their printed hard copies.

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...heese-sandwich/

The new stats are as follows:

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 sandwich which contains:

617 calories
56.1 g fat
17.7 g carbs
13.2 g fiber
4.5 g NET CARBS
19 g protein
756 mg sodium

Sorry about that error.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 09:33

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 240/197.1/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 54%

Where can I get this flax seed/meal or whatever it is called?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-11, 09:31
Patience Personified

I can buy the dark flax meal at Walmart in the regular flour area. I have to go to Sam's to get my golden flax meal. Most healthfood stores carry it, too, if you have one where you live.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 04:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR- Induction
Stats: 155/158.0/120 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: -9%

Peggy: Where does oat fiber fit on the OWL ladder? In your recipes, can I sub almond meal for oat fiber?