Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 12:27
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Peggy's Breakfast Sausage

I used to make my own sausage years ago and sorta stopped for some unknown reason. But I am starting to make it again and thought I'd sharer my recipe with you folks: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...akfast-sausage/

Went to the store today and bought 3# of ground pork to make up a batch of my homemade breakfast sausage. The commercial not only is getting pricey these days, but it invariably has sugar, sodium and seasoning than I like. I used to make my own years ago and kind of got away from doing so. But am going to get back to making it myself to control what’s in it. This recipe is Induction friendly. Any ground pork will do, but what I buy pre-ground is labeled “reduced fat” and is so lean, it appears to be center cut loin. This is great with breakfast eggs or pancakes, crumbled to make your favorite sausage gravy over a low-carb muffin/biscuit…….but it’s also good with a nice green salad for lunch!

INGREDIENTS:

3 lb. fresh ground pork
3 T. bacon grease
1 T. +1 tsp. Dad’s Poultry Seasoning: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/1...ltry-seasoning/
1 tsp. ground thyme
1 tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp. salt (I actually use less as I’m very sodium sensitive)

DIRECTIONS: Using either your hands or a fork, blend all ingredients in a large mixing bowl until the spices appear to be uniformly mixed throughout. I like to weigh my patties so I know exactly what I’m eating when go to log my food intake. I measured out exactly 22 2½-oz. balls of meat onto plastic and then formed them into patties onto plastic wrap. I like to do 4 patties to a package. These are large patties and each one is equivalent to two typical patties made from commercial sausage. However you decide to package yours, when wrapping, make sure there is a film of plastic between each patty. That way, after they’re frozen in a gallon ziploc bag, you can pop off just the number you need with the tip of a knife while they are still frozen! Then they defrost pretty quickly in the warm skillet. I store all my homemade sausage recipes in the freezer this way now. Really is convenient. And you will never ever again have any spoil in the refrigerator because it got pushed to the back and you forgot it was even in there. Been there; done that.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 22 patties 2.5oz (raw), which cook up to around 2oz. Each contains:

180.23 calories
14.9 g fat
.38 g carbs, .13 g fiber, .25 g NET CARBS
10.51 g protein
90.45 mg sodium

16% RDA Vitamin B6, 18% B12, 11% iron, 19% niacin, 15% phosphorous, 13.4% riboflavin, 27.7% selenium, 41.3% thamin, 17.14% zinc and 183 mg potassium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 12:39

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Sounds good. Will see if I can get ground pork.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-11, 05:33
Patience Personified

I'm sure, in Dallas, your Kroger will have it. Mine in Texas City did. We don't have Kroger in Temple, sadly. I miss my Kroger stores.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-11, 15:07

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I made this today. Used some in an egg casserole for Thanksgiving breakfast and used some to make lc sausage stuffing. Very delish! And it is cheaper if you can't find sausage on sale....and like you said, no suspect ingredients. Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 14:31
Patience Personified

Glad your first batch came out good, Freckles. You can use this recipe and then just modify spices for the exact flavor your family likes. I tend to up the crushed red from time to time.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 09:27
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 285/265/230 Male 6feet 1inch
BF:
Progress: 36%

Cant wait to try this I found ground pork yesterday so going to make these today
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 07:36
Patience Personified

Let me know how you like it, Bmasterson. I'm about out and have to make myself a new batch for the freezer soon.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-12, 09:56

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 352/320/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:Yikes!

I made a HUGE batch of this over the weekend. My non-cooking husband has actually fried this sausage up every morning all week for his breakfast.

Thanks so much for the delish recipe! I think it's a billion times better than the pre-packaged stuff. I don't think I could go back to Jimmy Dean.

((I made 1/2 the recipe extra spicey - and it was awesome))
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-12, 15:35
Patience Personified

I'm so glad you and your husband like this, Michele. I like to play around with the seasoning sometimes, too. But if I start off with it mild and go from there, I don't overdo a batch.

You might also like to try my Italian Sausage recipe some time. My dad and I have been using this recipe for ages and ages: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/0...talian-sausage/