Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-11, 23:21
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins/General
Stats: 220/202.7/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Technically the human race was built to eat meat, and veg...the fact our species eats refined grains is fairly new in terms of existence....so why does eating the way we should freak people out??? I just don't get it....stupid food pyramid.....

It's awesome that you and your hubby have gotten where you are, plus you have been very patient and gracious during the onslaught. So, hold your head up high and feel fantastic!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-11, 09:20

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Christmas is coming up and its a great opportunity to buy some great low-carb books that don't have Atkins in their name. Plenty to choose from. Seems like most folks become completely brain dead and then dead set against it when they hear the word Atkins. Sounds like your loved ones haven't read anything on low-carb from the looks of it.

Starting a low-carb diet when you are diabetic can be fatal if you don't know about reducing your diabetic meds (especially if you are also taking high blood pressure meds and others), the induction flu, etc.

Good luck to you and congratulations on your losses.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-11, 07:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/150.4/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Well my goal date is closing in on me and it is a good thing that I resigned myself to living la vida low carb. I am going to be going on my first cruise in November so I am hoping I will not be tempted by all the good eats on board. I do know they serve food I can eat like steak, lobster, omlettes, cheeses... I wonder if they have low carb deserts. Does anyone know?
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-11, 12:44
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Love this thread because I can totally relate. Thank you for sharing.

Jetgemini, there are lots of sugar-free dessert options on cruises.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-11, 20:03
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

ARGH!!! What the hell is wrong with people?

Yet another situation that's mind boggling.

My husband's cousin has started a job that has her providing some "nutrition coaching" and created an event and invited people to join in and let her get some practice in. Okay - no harm there...

Here's the transcript of what happened...

Jackie G - Health and Wellness Coach
Are your coaching plans friendly with low-carb?
Like · · Unfollow Post · Yesterday at 1:15am ·

Cousin - Jackie I can teach you about the importance of protein and cellular nutrition with the incorporation of healthy complex carbs to personalize a plan for you )
Yesterday at 7:45pm · Like

Jackie G - So... no low-carb?
23 hours ago · Like

Cousin - Well we would talk about the healthy amount of carbs, low yes, but the body does need some carbs. We could talk about it all and def find something that would work
10 hours ago · Like

Jackie G - No thank you. Good luck with your new job.
10 hours ago · Like

Rude Female Who Shall Not Be Named - There is a difference between healthy complex carbs and simple carbs. It is a good idea to get some education on how these carbs work with your body and the benefit of complex carbs for a healthy lifestyle, so you are able to personalize a meal that works for you ... teach me how Janelle?
5 minutes ago · Like

Jackie G - I know the difference. Just because I don't think this post is the appropriate place to debate the effects of all carbohydrates on the human body doesn't mean I'm not educated on the matter.
4 minutes ago · Like

~~~~~~~~~~~
Note that I am trying to not derail her from her new job, that allows her to stop waiting tables and use her degree. There's that whole "family" aspect. I like the cousin. That Unknown Female at the end ticked me right off with her comment that I need to educate myself... Are you serious?

/Rant for the moment.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-11, 17:11
Absurdtive

Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Ugh, these sorts of discussions are so frustrating. There are two things that I try to avoid discussing on FB--politics and food. Food is sort of political in a way if you think about it. The only way I post things like this is if I can post them only to a subset of friends. I can imagine how frustrating it would be to have someone accuse you of knowing nothing about nutrition...when you probably know more than the cousin even. That would certainly be true for me. It's kind of sad that the person who thinks that they know the difference between simple and complex carbs doesn't actually realize how destructive simple carbs can be. This sort of thing would probably have me banging my head against a wall, so I sympathize.

I like to think that my history now speaks volumes to people like this. I don't have to say anything--being in a size 10 from a size 26 should say plenty on its own

--Melissa
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-12, 05:01

Plan: My Own
Stats: 293/293/180 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyzofgrey
That's when they say, "Wow you've lost a lot of weight. Have you been sick?"

I made the opposite mistake. It seemed to me that when people lose weight by a low fat WOE, they get dry/ashy skin and hair. They tend to look a tad older, and, well...a bit on the sickly side. So when I saw this relative (I hadn't seen him in a year), I figured he lost weight by a low fat diet and congratulated him on his weight loss. He had been terribly ill! I was so embarrassed. It is difficult to back out of that kind of faux pas graciously. So unless I know the person well, I think I'll keep my "congrats" under wraps.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-13, 18:42
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Figured I'd pop in and have a giggle at the fact that some of the very same people who used to worry so much about me not eating "healthy whole grains" - are now talking about avoiding processed food, sugar, wheat, etc. to improve their health.