Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 10:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/160/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'd urge you to try giving up the grains and dairy for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. It's amazing how many issues we just live with or account to growing older that are actually due to neolithic foods. Sinus, joints, skin, IBS, flatulence, emotional issues... all of it I've seen improve on a truly paleo diet.

I've been grain free for a week now, but am still eating cheese and using some half and half in my coffee (unsweetened otherwise) and don't feel different. I'm not cravings pasta or sweets really - I do hear the granola bars that I had just made two weeks ago calling my name from the freezer though. It's extremely rare that I have any sort of GI upset, my sole lucky blessing has been good skin. I guess time will tell though if something was bothering me that I don't know about.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 10:25

Plan: EatRealFood!
Stats: 186/175/157 Female 68 inches
BF:30%/27%/15%
Progress: 38%

may i suggest giving up dairy too in addition to the grains just to shake things up a bit?

i got my husband on board with this by trying out a challenge called the whole30. it's a stricter form of paleo, but you only have to commit to 30 days. we're on our 23rd day and we are really happy with our results so far.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-12, 06:18

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle33
the whole30. it's a stricter form of paleo,
Really? I was under the impression that it was less strict.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 06:58

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
I'm doing an Atkins induction right now and have lost 5-6 pounds. I guess I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around being able to eat my nuts and fruit and larabars and still lose weight just by getting rid of my sourdough pancakes.

You aren't allowed to eat nuts or Larabars on Atkins induction, and no fruit is allowed, apart from tomatoes, rhubarb and avocados, as far as I remember.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 07:00

BF:

I am doing Atkins OWL and according to the definition of Primal here, it sounds to me from reading this thread that I am Primal, thanks to Atkins. I eat fish, shellfish, meat, vegetables, fruit, olive oil, occasional nuts & berries, vinegar, soy sauce, etc., spices, herbs, etc. and small amounts of butter, cheese and very occasional cream/yoghurt. I eat a wide variety of food, but it's all within those categories. Is that primal?

I thought being primal involved eating raw foods, including raw meat, which would totally gross me out. Is that wrong?

I was reading this thread as I am always hoping to improve my health through my diet. The Atkins diet has helped me greatly to control my weight and improve my feeling of well-being, insulin balance, etc. but I haven't had any relief of pain or fundamental improvement .. possibly because I ate a mostly whole foods diet before, and didn't eat a lot of sugar, refined carbs or junky food choices. I just feel there must be more I can to do to get the results I ardently desire. At present I'm trying to increase the veggies in my diet to see it that will help, after seeing information about the Wahls diet, which is based on Paleo principles. It's difficult to stick to Atkins carb levels for my blood sugar (which is essential for me) and incorporate all of her vegetable/berry suggestions (3 cups of leaves, 3 cups of sulphor rich veggies and 3 cups of coloured veggies and berries), but I can manage about 1/2 of that and keep to near Atkins induction level.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sat, Apr-28-12 at 15:06.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 08:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I thought being primal involved eating raw foods, including raw meat, which would totally gross me out. Is that wrong?

Yes, that's wrong. Mankind has been cooking food for at least 140,000 years, some say far longer than that. It probably helped us evolve the brain size we have.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 08:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
You aren't allowed to eat nuts or Larabars on Atkins induction, and no fruit is allowed, apart from tomatoes, rhubarb and avocados, as far as I remember.

I think you misunderstood her post. She thought Paleo/Primal involved eating those things, which it can, but probably not if you want to lose weight.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 10:44

Plan: EatRealFood!
Stats: 186/175/157 Female 68 inches
BF:30%/27%/15%
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
Really? I was under the impression that it was less strict.

It is definitely not less strict. With the Whole30, you can't make Paleo desserts or baked goods. In addition to not using any added sweeteners. The key to the Whole30 is trying to free yourself from triggers. Larabars are all natural, but they shouldn't be a go to snack everyday because they are still somewhat processed. Nuts are allowed, but if you don't have self-control with nuts, then you don't eat them. Coconut flour is allowed, but only to thicken up a sauce (not to bake muffins or cookies). Fruit is allowed, but you don't eat fruit because you are craving sugar, but because it's the best choice for a snack at that time.

We do the Whole30 to learn to discipline ourselves from giving in to cravings. I like the simplicity of it---grass fed meat, fish, veggies, some fruit, some nuts (except peanuts), good fat, and lots of water.

My intention was to only do this for 30 days, but I think I'm going to eat like this all the time. I don't know how much weight I've lost, but I'm definitely losing inches. My 30 days will be up next week and I'm going to take a week off (not going crazy, but maybe have a coffee with cream for my b-day---I haven't had coffee in almost 30 days!). Then I'll start up another Whole30 the following week. This is what I intend to do from here on out...I love simplicity!
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 15:04

BF:

Quote:
I think you misunderstood her post. She thought Paleo/Primal involved eating those things, which it can, but probably not if you want to lose weight

Oh Nancy - how daft am I?? lol. Thanks for explaining..

Quote:
Mankind has been cooking food for at least 140,000 years, some say far longer than that. It probably helped us evolve the brain size we have.

yes. I can imagine that - trying to think up all these great recipes :P
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-12, 16:25

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I transitioned from South Beach to Primal several months ago and love the simplicity of it. Two weeks ago my boyfriend began to eat this way too, in the hopes that his PSA count will have stabilised or reduced when he has his next blood test. Well, he just told me the chronic joint pain in his foot has completely disappeared and he feels more energetic. I can also see that his wheat belly is already smaller. It's amazing how quickly some health issues can improve once you get away from the SAD diet.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-12, 21:18

Plan: Paleo/Atkins
Stats: 206/179/130 Female 5'5.5''
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
It's amazing how quickly some health issues can improve once you get away from the SAD diet.

It really is amazing. It took 2-3 days of being gluten free for me to realise that stomach aches after a meal weren't normal, 33 years old and I had *no* idea, I thought they were how your body knew it had eaten, lol. My stomach used to always feel terrible, now I notice it no more than I do, say, my ear lobes. I used to chew antacid tablets constantly, I haven't bought a single one since I went gluten free. It's mind boggling how many over the counter medicines exist solely because society's diet is so bad. So many lives wasted. So much money wasted!
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 02:50

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

My father's been following paleo for a couple of months. He has diverticulitis...
Since giving up the grains, he's lost some weight but lost the puffy look to his face around his eyes. For the last two weeks, he's totally cut dairy out after feeling ill after it...
He's sleeping better than he has in years, he feels less 'bloated' and is generally looking much perkier.
I have told him it will take him quite a few months to heal his gut but all indications are positive.
My mother is following it pretty much though I think she's cheating as she can't ever stick to anything... but hey, that's her journey.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 14:12

Plan: Whole30 (Paleo)
Stats: 600/253/225 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 93%

Love reading everyone's experiences. Makes me confident in my choice to start a Paleo Whole 30 today. :-)
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 10:51

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Kirsteeen, you might try omitting the night shade veggies - white potatoes, tomatoes, peppers & eggplants. Also omitting all dairy might help you reach that next level of health.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 12:20

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
I transitioned from South Beach to Primal several months ago and love the simplicity of it. Two weeks ago my boyfriend began to eat this way too, in the hopes that his PSA count will have stabilised or reduced when he has his next blood test. Well, he just told me the chronic joint pain in his foot has completely disappeared and he feels more energetic. I can also see that his wheat belly is already smaller. It's amazing how quickly some health issues can improve once you get away from the SAD diet.

Update: My boyfriend's PSA count didn't just stabilize but fell to the lowest it's been since he started being tested. His foot pain never returned. His wheat belly completely disappeared and his daughter-in-law was stunned by his weight loss when she saw him again recently (20lbs, all off the belly). He's only been eating this way a few months - I can't wait to see what he'll be like a year from now, lol. I have been low carbing for over a year and primal for about 6 months. I only wanted to lose weight (35lbs, give or take a pound, so far) and never expected all the other health benefits: no more gas, bloating, asthma, allergies and back pain. Makes me so sad and mad to see those long aisles of meds at the drug store.