Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 13:36

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess H
I have Dr. Atkins New Revolution book an it says free foods cheese, meat, eggs. Page 94. Nothing about 4 oz of cheese. It says less then 20 g of carb a day. Is this the old version?

Yes. You have the 1992 version. I have that as well, and you are correct that he lists cheese as unlimited in that one. I also have the 2002 version and in that one he limits the cheese to 3-4 oz per day and the cream to 2-3 tablespoons per day.

That said, the first two times I did Atkins I lost to goal eating all the cheese/dairy I wanted and I know it was a lot. Not sure why I can't have it now. So what I'm saying is that it may not be the dairy - but it <could> be the dairy. It could also be that you are eating too many cals....or it could also be some other food intolerance. It could be the almonds. It could be any number of things. The only thing to do is tweak here and there and see what happens. Believe me, I didn't want to give up my dairy, but when I did the scale started moving again, which made it much easier.

This is why Atkins has the carb ladder....so that you add foods individually (and carbs incrementally), one at a time to determine if one causes you to stop losing weight or causes symptoms. The second rung of the ladder is to add more dairy. Nuts come in rung 3. I see that you have Atkins/Primal Blueprint listed as your plan, so I don't know if you did Atkins induction properly. If you're only 12 days in and eating nuts I would guess not. So that would be my first recommendation. Do the full 14 days of induction and then slowly climb the carb ladder adding in one new food at a time. It works. This is how I found out about my dairy intolerance because I had a bad reaction to yogurt and cottage cheese (admittedly I continued to eat other dairy for years).
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 17:04

Plan: Adkins, & Primal Blue pri
Stats: 166/166/136 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I guess I need to buy the new version. Iv just been going by old book an I thought doing 14 day ind. I have been reading both books an mostly following Atkins. I haven't seen anything about ladder must be in new book. Bummer!!!!! It is very frustrating to have been following an stayin at or under 20 g of carbs an not losing. I haven't been eating a side of beef, or LOTS OF CHEESE. My calories mostly stay around 1600 to 1800. An iv gotten to where I'm not hungry at night at all. Today Iv had 3 link sausage for breakfast, 2 tbs of cream in coffee, tomato soup, salad, tuna w egg, an about 5 walnuts. An I'm FULL!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 17:13

Plan: VLC
Stats: 238/232/205 Male 73"
BF:
Progress:

Not to sound like a broken record, but that's too many calories. I'm 6' 1" 232 pounds and I can only lose weight on 2200 cals or less. Throw in a little cardio now and then, go for walks even. Makes a HUGE difference
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 17:21

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I guess I need to buy the new version. Iv just been going by old book an I thought doing 14 day ind. I have been reading both books an mostly following Atkins. I haven't seen anything about ladder must be in new book. Bummer!!!!! It is very frustrating to have been following an stayin at or under 20 g of carbs an not losing. I haven't been eating a side of beef, or LOTS OF CHEESE. My calories mostly stay around 1600 to 1800. An iv gotten to where I'm not hungry at night at all. Today Iv had 3 link sausage for breakfast, 2 tbs of cream in coffee, tomato soup, salad, tuna w egg, an about 5 walnuts. An I'm FULL!

Nuts are def not part of induction, even in the old version of Atkins.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 04:52

BF:

So do I start induction all over? Just meat? 4 tbs cream? No nuts?
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 05:01

BF:

The scale says I have gained 3 pounds. I can't go get book or read it on my kindle for 3 days, work.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 06:06

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:

I would copy and maybe print out the rules for induction as in the sticky thread at the top of this forum to get the rules from the 2002 version of DANDR to get your induction menus correct.

As you were already on a low-ish carb regime beforehand you might not have had the "water weight" that people eating high carb foods experience when cutting down more drastically than you have done.

I would just spend a few days on induction as amended according to the 2002 rules (up to 20 net carbs most of which from your vegetables, limits on cheese, cream, sweeteners) until you feel you have a handle on it then start OWL.

In DANDR 2002 this means adding 5 net carbs of foods to see if they affect your progress adversely or give you cravings, and discover how many carbs you can eat while losing weight.

People seem to do better if they add the new foods in the order suggested which is
1. More of the induction veggies
2. Dairy - milk, yogurt, fresh chese like cottage cheese, etc
3. Nuts and seeds in one ounce amounts (not 5 net carbs) except for cashew nuts which are added in only 1/2 ounce amounts
4. Berries and melons except for watermelons
5. Alcohol (if you want)
6. Legumes - soya products, beans, peas, pulses like lentils, peanuts etc
7. Fruits not included in level/rung 4
8. Starchy vegetables
9. Whole grains - sweet corn (corn on the cob) wheat, pasta, rice etc

BTW You will not see the word "rung" used in DANDR, this is a word Atkineers on support boards use to describe what Dr Atkins called the levels of his Carbohydrate ladder. As normally we call the steps of a ladder "rungs" that word has caught on as more relevant then his word "levels"
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 06:53

BF:

Thank you thank you. Iv have looked, where do I find induction ladder? I want to print it.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 09:09

Plan: VLC
Stats: 238/232/205 Male 73"
BF:
Progress:
Default Exercise

I do low-carb because I know it works. My girlfriend decided to join me in this way of eating but she wasn't losing any weight until she started working out with me. Then, voila! She started losing the pounds. If you do even 20 minutes of extra walking a day it will DEFINITELY help! Just sayin'
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 09:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 347/320/220 Male 6 foot 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:

I want to re-ask what Freckles said earlier: "Where are your veggies?"

If you are doing a clean Atkins induction, you should be getting some veggies in, 2-3 cups per day. They will give you more food volume for less calories, more fiber, and in induction, that is where the majority of your carbs should come from. Here is the sticky thread from the Atkins board here, should help you out.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 09:40

BF:

1600 to 1800 calories is too many? I exercise 3 to 4 times a week, cardio, weights, walking
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 10:01

BF:

Trabba. Thank you so much exactly what I needed. I'm not giving up. I appreciate ur time!! Everyone Ty an keeping posting.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 12:46

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Thank you thank you. Iv have looked, where do I find induction ladder? I want to print it.
The rules for induction are in this thread, Princess
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482

The ladder is used in the phase following induction which is called "Ongoing Weight Loss" or OWL for short. Here is a thread with lots of info about it
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=409812
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 13:15

BF:

Ok. I'm starting over today. Thanks so much.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 13:23

BF:

Ok. I'm starting over today. Thanks so much.