Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 23:03

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 267/160.8/170 Female 5feet7inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
I disagree. What we tend to find most appealing is what we are sold in the media...and that is thin rail and NOT realistic. If you look back in history what you will find is that women were curvacious...large hips, chests, bellies...because women are built to have children....and historically these curvacious women were revered. It wasn't until VERY recent modern times that it was <expected> that women should be rail thin. But it is still not realistic. Just because our times dictate that women should be thin doesn't make it so - even if all the tv shows and ads use all these rail thin women.

I second this, and was thinking of a response along the same lines as well.

The concept that a woman should be "toned" is quite recent, and frankly not a natural state for most women.

There are many different body shapes, sizes, etc. and in different cultures (different parts of the world, different time periods) different attributes are considered beautiful. What is most "beautiful" in a culture tends to be that which is most beneficial (signs of fertility, health, wealth, wisdom). Thinking about the stick-thin models and over-painted celebrities that are shoved at us as role models, and the implications for what this means society expects from us...well, it kind of makes me shudder.

Sorry for the mini-rant.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 04:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/130/125 Female 5"7
BF:
Progress: 0%

Actually I have noticed an improvement. When I booked the appointment about six weeks ago my stomach was definitely bigger, so that is great news!!

I had never thought of a meat 'fast' though. I guess that is like uber Atkins induction. Would that be to see if I am sensitive to eating any carbohydrate at all? What would you do about constipation in that case? Meat and flax seeds?

Raw vegan didn't make my tummy any bigger... it just stayed the same while the rest of me got smaller. The biggest, bloatiest stomach I ever had was when I was 12. I could not wear a dress to my mother's wedding because my tummy was so big I couldn't fit in them. Back then I didn't choose my own diet and my mum was a single mother on a cleaner's wage so we ate bread and biscuits as our staple diet. Interestingly my brother had severe candida that linked to his (also severe) autism and he wasn't allowed sugar. Mum splashed out on buying him nut butters and sugar-free crackers and he ended up really healthy with never a single incidence of tooth decay whereas my baby teeth were a wreck.

I do think I am noticing some small changes already though. I am house sitting so I have no measuring tape. I think next time I visit my parents I'll ask if I can borrow one.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 06:34
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Love2Write, I missed your post before. I love your name, I didn't copy you promise! :-)

How do we know what was considered attractive in previous times though really? I guess it does come down to what is healthy, but I think tummy bloat is unhealthy.

I know there are plenty of pictures hanging up in art galleries of women with plenty of love handles, but then I wonder, are these women only the ones who could afford to hire the artist and/or were from a high enough pedigree that the painter wanted to paint her? If so, it is likely she was consuming white refined carbohydrates as that was a mark of nobility!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 07:33

Stats: 190/186/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I'm just guessing as much as you, but if I was a historian I would would look for literature, where ideals of beauty were directly discussed, to get my information. Not the paintings, for as you mentioned, they are probably biased.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 10:42

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 267/160.8/170 Female 5feet7inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm not sure how historians gather their information. But (without the use of a time machine), I have to take their word for it.

But to see the different "versions" of what is attractive, we don't need to look into the past alone. We can see this cross-culturally in our present time as well. Gary Taubes writes a bit about this in Why We Get Fat. If you haven't read it yet, it's very interesting.

But of course I'm only speaking generally. I can't say anything specific about your situation since I don't know you personally.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 11:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Read
I had never thought of a meat 'fast' though. I guess that is like uber Atkins induction. Would that be to see if I am sensitive to eating any carbohydrate at all? What would you do about constipation in that case? Meat and flax seeds?

Don't add anything unless you really need to. Take some magnesium if your bowels get sluggish. For me on meat only they kind of normalize. The meat fast is just a way to see what your belly is like if you get rid of everything that might be causing bloat. Usually meat doesn't... usually.

Quote:
so we ate bread and biscuits as our staple diet. Interestingly my brother had severe candida that linked to his (also severe) autism and he wasn't allowed sugar.
Sounds like you have a gluten intolerance too.

A measuring tape is a great idea.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 07:25
Registered Member

BF:

I might try it for a few days, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for that much meat yet. I'm working my way up to it if you know what I mean... increasingly buying more meat.

Today at the supermarket my husband commented that I was eating so much meat and that he might have to go vegetarian because he'll be sick of all the meat! I got a bit snappy and defensive, and he said he didn't mean it, he said he likes my new cooking style. He's generally very accepting of whatever I do. He didn't complain when I ate only raw food, he just made himself pasta and bread and cheese every day.

Today I had omelet for breakfast, boiled meat for a snack, left over osso bucco (meat and tomato casserole) for lunch with salad and then fried veal stroganoff with salad for dinner. I am cooking with a lot of lard and butter and duck fat.

On the stove at the moment is a nettle soup made with fresh nettles I picked up from a big block of weeds (I am on a student budget, but also nettles are very healthy). I added the nettles to a home-made stock made with fatty lamb straps and left over bones... the stock is very potent so it is basically another meat meal. Once the boiled meat rescued from the stock has cooled I'll eat it as a snack tomorrow.

So I am working my way up... this is a lot of meat for me, it would have been a month's supply even years ago when I was not a vegetarian as I ate mostly vegetable meals as soon as I could cook for myself.

It will be interesting to see if my stomach does change shape at all. I found a measuring tape today and it was 2cm smaller than when I measured myself in January, but I have gained 2.5kg since then (5lb), so that is good news. I'd rather be a bit heavier but in proportion.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 11:32

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

try ditching the veggies for a few weeks. see if that helps. don't only eat lean meat if you do this. Good luck. I would love to weigh 130, but even when I did, I wasn't happy!