Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 13:18

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Magnesium and the Brain: The Original Chill Pill

Magnesium is a vital nutrient that is often deficient in modern diets. Our ancient ancestors would have had a ready supply from organ meats, seafood, mineral water, and even swimming in the ocean, but modern soils can be depleted of minerals and magnesium is removed from water during routine municipal treatment. The current RDA for adults is between 320 and 420mg daily, and the average US intake is around 250mg daily

Keep reading. I found the case studies especially interesting

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...inal-chill-pill

Quote:
A 23 year-old woman with a previous traumatic brain injury became depressed after extreme stress with work, a diet of fast food, "constant noise," and poor academic performance. After one week of magnesium treatment, she became free of depression, and her short term memory and IQ returned.

A 35 year-old woman with a history of post-partum depression was pregnant with her fourth child. She took 200mg magnesium glycinate with each meal. She did not develop any complications of pregnancy and did not have depression with her fourth child, who was "healthy, full weight, and quiet."

A 40 year-old "irritable, anxious, extremely talkative, moderately depressed" smoking, alchohol-drinking, cocaine using male took 125mg magnesium taurinate at each meal and bedtime, and found his symptoms were gone within a week, and his cravings for tobacco, cocaine, and alcohol disappeared. His "ravenous appetite was supressed, and ... beneficial weight loss ensued."

Last edited by Angeline : Fri, Jun-17-11 at 12:14.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 12:00

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Very interesting. Thank you for posting that.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 13:56

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

It's interesting how these case studies were all using different magnesium formulations. Why the magnesium taurinate for the male drinker/drug user but magnesium glycinate for the pregnant woman?

Quote:
Magnesium is an old home remedy for all that ails you, including "anxiety, apathy, depression, headaches, insecurity, irritability, restlessness, talkativeness, and sulkiness." In 1968, Wacker and Parisi reported that magnesium deficiency could cause depression, behavioral disturbances, headaches, muscle cramps, seizures, ataxia, psychosis, and irritability - all reversible with magnesium repletion.

Wow- talkativeness?

I've been thinking about crushing up some Mag and adding it to my garden soil along with crushed egg shells. But it's not just magnesium, soils are depleted of a lot of minerals.

When I use a bag of gravel for my pond plants, it takes me a long time to get it clean. Those repeated rinsings are washing off the accumulated silt in the bag- in other words, minerals. Maybe I should use bags of gravel in the veggie garden, too...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 17:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can buy powdered magnesium too. I'd tend to imagine a good compost should have lots of good nutrients in it. I think the issue is the way most foods are grown. They don't really put anything back into the soil but NPK sorts of fertilizer. They aren't using compost and good stuff like that.

Quote:
Wow- talkativeness?
I was thinking I should slip some to my sister.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-11, 06:51

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

Would they have taken milk of magnesia then in the olden days? You can't buy that anywhere here anymore.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-11, 18:12

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Epsom salts. I use them in the garden and in the bath. It does help a lot. Cheap and easy to find.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-11, 21:48

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

I was thinking I should slip some to my sister.

ELL O Freeking ELL! Our sisters must be one and the same. Really really.

Wifezilla, Epsom salts? Haven't heard of that for many years and don't really know what's in it.

I do try and use lots of pond debris in the garden... fish poop, muck, etc. But there was one year that I treated my fish for flukes with "Fluke Tabs", which is an organo-phosphate anti-parisitic and I've been afraid ever since to use anything from my pond for edibles. Turned out that the stuff was quite toxic.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 02:40

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

Anybody know what foods contain the most amount of magnesium?

I have also heard that zinc deficiencies often exhibit the same symptoms.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 08:17

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 185/144/145 Male 5'9"
BF:32/17/17
Progress: 102%
Default magnesium : foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlovely
Anybody know what foods contain the most amount of magnesium?

I have also heard that zinc deficiencies often exhibit the same symptoms.

my first post, Hello:

Nuts, bran and germ have the highest levels. See this chart
http://barttersite.org/high-magnesium-foods/

Meat and fish are fairly good too.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 11:33

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

I know taking 400 to 600 mg of magnesium each night has made me sleep much, much deeper, and it helps keep me regular.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 18:23
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I started taking 400mg. magnesium to deal with chronic stress induced high cortisol levels. Labs showed 14.5 on a normal scale of 1-9. By the next labs, my cortisol levels were normal. Doctor was VERY pleased, since my primary stressor, my Mom who was diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment (precursor to Alzheimers) and who no longer cooperates with family on ANYTHING, was still very much in my life. Plus, like Daryl said, it helps with regularity and sleep quality. I sleep 7 hours without hardly turning over or waking up every night now.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 19:14

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrodebert
my first post, Hello:

Nuts, bran and germ have the highest levels. See this chart
http://barttersite.org/high-magnesium-foods/

Meat and fish are fairly good too.

Welcome to the forum.

Consider that it's not how much we eat that matters, but how much is left after digestion. Bran contains phytic acid which is pretty bad for humans. We can't even digest bran anyway thus we can't extract any nutrient from it. While grains may have lots of magnesium, they are also bad for humans for various reasons. As for meat and fish, humans can digest those completely thus extract all the nutrients they contain.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 06:39

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

This is really, really, ridiculously interesting. Especially the suggestion that magnesium can work incredibly quickly.

When my husband and I first separated a few months ago, I noticed I was perfectly level during the week (when I had my kids), but became very emotionally unstable, irritable and restless during the weekends. I know not having my children with me played a huge part in that, but also wonder if my terrible, two-day-a-week self-medicating diet of potato chips and deli chicken salad compounded the problem.

Re: calcium and magnesium - will excess calcium compound depression and anxiety?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 09:14

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Altari,

Emily Dean, the author of this article, will be interviewed on a upcoming podcast. You might be interested in tuning in.

Details here : http://thehealthyskeptic.org/dr-emi...-on-the-podcast