Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 14:02

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
i was just given an avocado salad dressing recipe, that sounds really good. and i made an avocado pudding that i'm going to have to make again really really soon. seems like it's avocado season they were on sale for 2/89c at my vegetable grocery. also, have you tried avocado oil? i started buying it instead of olive oil. it's amazing.

Mmmmmm....I looked at your recipes and I'm gonna have to try them. They look really awesome. I have not tried avocado oil......will have to get that.

I'm glad I'm not the only one forgetting things. LOL It's annoying, to say the least. I carry a calendar with me everywhere I go cause I can't remember anything. Yuck.....oh well.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 15:32

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

I've had avocado oil in the past, but, man, it is expensive! I was using almond oil as a less expensive alternative, but I discovered today that I'm out of that I need to do some oil shopping! I have a bottle of MCT oil, but it's not good for high-temp cooking, and I was using a crock pot, so I didn't think that was a good pairing.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 16:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

Wow this thread is taking off!

Heart beat today at 6 weeks! So exciting!

I am hungry all of the time, and when I have to eat I have to eat RIGHT NOW OR ELSE!
Other than that no nausea or cravings and the pg fatigue has passed. (nice, I finally got some housework done).

Breakfast - 2 eggs with tahini or humus.
Lunch - at work I chose the l/c salads and meat.
Supper - today I had organ meat mix and baked onions and mushrooms.
Snack - fruit, although I am thinking about cutting back.
Midnight snack (yes I have been waking up in the middle of the night to eat) - cottage cheese.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 16:43

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

wow sondacop I'm not far behind you I should be 5 weeks tomorrow.
I get sick now if I don't eat often enough. guess its time to start snacking.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 17:03

BF:

Okay so to not hijack walnuts thread.
here is the conversation http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=432898&page=3
I've really got mixed feelings about the triple screen since both of my kids came up with positive for it and neither one of them are. I do kinda feel like jillybean about wanting to be prepared. However i think the sonogram should be able to see more than the triple screen just at a later date. The obgyn I am going to be seeing has the 3d/4d model. Have you seen the pics from those. Incredible!! I googled it last night.
I am actually working on my bachelors degree right now to be an exceptional ed teacher. I've worked with kids with downs syndrome in the past. They are the sweetest kids you would ever want to meet. Not that I'd wish that for anyone including myself. It's the age thing with me 38 and all that.
The forgetfulness can be entertaining if you take it with a grain of salt. Lol both of my previous pregnancies I put mayo in the freezer for no reason. I'm forgetful by nature so I'm sure my hubby will be laughing his butt off.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 17:40

BF:

Okay well yeah I'm posting again but you guys are the only ones that know so far. Well I've been freaking out over the May 23rd due date cause school usually gets out here for my kids on the 21st.
I'm going to college not only to be a teacher but to support my family. Well i checked today and MY school gets out last day in April next semester!!! Even if i have to do bed rest for a month like I did last time I should be fine!! wish I had looked sooner!!
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 05:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
Okay so to not hijack walnuts thread.
here is the conversation http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=432898&page=3
I've really got mixed feelings about the triple screen since both of my kids came up with positive for it and neither one of them are. I do kinda feel like jillybean about wanting to be prepared. However i think the sonogram should be able to see more than the triple screen just at a later date.

What do you mean by "both of my kids came up positive for it?" What is "it?" Down syndrome? That's not the only thing they check for during the first and second trimester screenings. Also, if you never had an amnio or a CVS, then neither of your kids came up "positive" for anything because these other screenings are only screenings, NOT diagnostic - they will tell you if you are at an increased RISK for something, but they can not definitively tell you yes or no. Sonograms only see the physical attributes of the baby, whereas the other screenings also include maternal blood tests to check for other potential abnormalities.

I'm only 29, so not very high risk for most stuff, but I wanted the first trimester screen (nuchal translucency scan and blood test) mostly so I would have another ultrasound! Otherwise, my 20-week anatomy ultrasound would be the ONLY other one I would have throughout the entire pregnancy since I'm not considered high risk. With this being my first pregnancy, and having pretty much no physical symptoms at all, I wanted to SEE that everything was okay in there!
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 05:21

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
I've really got mixed feelings about the triple screen since both of my kids came up with positive for it and neither one of them are. I do kinda feel like jillybean about wanting to be prepared. However i think the sonogram should be able to see more than the triple screen just at a later date. The obgyn I am going to be seeing has the 3d/4d model. Have you seen the pics from those. Incredible!! I googled it last night.

Kaylakala, an u/s can pick up just about anything now-a-days. I have already been thru the whole "down's scare". When I was pregnant with my 2nd, I refused all the tests, and when I had my 19-20 weeks anatomy u/s, I was told that he would definitely have Down's. He had 8 of the 10 markers that they look for on an u/s. I started reading every book I could get my hands on to try to "prepare". After about a week of that, I realized that there are sooooo many different levels of Down's that there was absolutely NO way for me to "prepare" until he was born and we knew what level of Down's he had.

I refused to let anyone (except hubby) in the room with me while giving birth because I wanted to bond with my baby and have time to deal with it alone. I gave birth at 36 weeks to a beautiful 8lb 13 oz baby boy, who had absolutely NOTHING wrong with him. He was just a BIG baby. If I had gone to 40 weeks, he would of been about 11 lbs, they told me. LOL Brad will be 13 in January.

They can tell you anything you want to know via u/s. And, 3/4D is so awesome. I had one done with my 4th pregnancy and was just in awe of the detail and the things you could see. Amazing.

Oh, I should add, that while I don't do any testing, I DO get the u/s. Haha I love seeing my baby and at this point in my life, I want to know the sex so I can be prepared. I'm too old to be "surprised" anymore. Haha My 20 week u/s is scheduled for the 27th!!!! Yay
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 17:15

BF:

Thanks guys!! I'm gonna pass on the tests I just don't need the stress.

Speaking of stress I told my parents today. It was very depressing.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 17:30

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Speaking of stress I told my parents today. It was very depressing.
that's too bad hopefully they come around.

i have my first appt with my midwives tomorrow. hope to hear a heartbeat. not sure if my hubby's going to be able to make it, he's been working out of town and he's not sure he can get away in time. it all seems so much more real to hear the heartbeat. maybe i'll take the camera and tape it for him if he cant make it.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 18:08

BF:

thanks they are worried about my age. It was kinda one of those you too old you're gonna die type things. My Mom was trying not to cry the whole time. they're elderly so I'm feeling really guilty right now.

Yay walnut on the apt!! I remember with my other 2 the heartbeat did make it soooo real!! I hope your hubby can go too
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 18:10

BF:

Oh the kids reactions were priceless. Rachie is 11 12 in a few days. She was like eeewww mommy and ed did it!!
Bryan 8 said Alright i get someone to boss around.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 20:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

Kaylakala- I am astounded, what is wrong with your parents?!?!?! You are only 38! I had my DD at 38 and now I am 41. I have a friend planing her 3rd at 43. They should be happy for you at any age. I can't comprehend their reaction.
I am going to pass on a lot of the tests this time too. The last pg was too stressful. They found a velementos insertion of the umbilical cord, and that messed up the tri and everything. I was on bed rest most of the time, and had to have a c-section.
The only test that I did not do last time (and will not do this time for sure) is the glucose load.

Ericksgirl - they make so many mistakes - I wounder how many mistaken abortions were a result!

Walnut - Hope you see a strong HB!
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-11, 00:03

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i think a lot of women wait to have babies anymore. I know lots of moms who had their babies in their 40's. I'll be 40 when the baby comes and want to maybe have one more.

Kaylakala~i love your kids reactions to the news. That's awesome.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-11, 04:43

BF:

Quote:
My Mom was trying not to cry the whole time. they're elderly so I'm feeling really guilty right now.

You're only 38, and they are "elderly," so how old were they when they had YOU? Sounds to me like at least in their 30s, and everything seems to have turned out okay! Hopefully, as things progress, and they see how, umm, you're not dying, they'll come around and be more excited than scared.

New interesting developments in my world: my husband has decided we should move to a bigger house. It was always the plan, but we're upside-down on our current mortgage on out townhouse, so I didn't think we had any options, but apparently our gross income is so much higher now than back when we initially bought that we would qualify to buy ANOTHER house (and then try to rent our townhouse out to make up some of the difference). I've already been in touch with my mortgage guy, and he's confident we're good to go if we want to move forward. WOW. We're going to look at a HUD foreclosure this afternoon (won't bother if it's a total money pit, but for single family home with 5 beds and 3.5 baths on over 1/4 acre, we have to at least check it out!). I contacted a realtor yesterday who specifically has HUD foreclosure experience, and she happens to live IN our town, so hopefully, she's super and will help us if our search continues.

It's just a lot to think about financially - the risk is there that we have trouble finding a renter and end up having to pay 2 full mortgages each month. We could swing it if we had to, but we also need to keep in mind upcoming baby and daycare costs. Eh, we'll figure it out!

I see it's September 20, and we're all in the "June" thread...we should at least start a new thread for October next week :P