Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 14:38

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Default Diet Affects Markers of Alzheimer's Disease

Quote:
Low-Fat, Low-Glycemic-Index Diets Improve Markers for Alzheimer’s Disease, Study Suggests

Diets that are low in saturated fat and rich in carbohydrates that steady blood sugar and insulin can beneficially change levels of substances associated with the development of Alzheimer’s disease, a new study shows. Such diets may also improve some measures of memory.

... The study compared the effects of two different eating patterns on biomarkers in the spinal fluid of healthy older adults and those who had memory loss consistent with early Alzheimer’s.

Half of study participants ate foods high in saturated fat, like red meat and butter, with high-glycemic-index carbohydrates like french fries and sugar-sweetened sodas.

The other half ate a low-fat diet that also had plenty of low-glycemic-index carbohydrates from whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and beans.

... Both groups ate the same amount of protein, and the diets were individually balanced so they did not cause weight loss or weight gain.

Healthy people who ate high-fat, high-glycemic-index diets for one month saw increases in spinal fluid levels of beta-amyloid, a fibrous protein that clogs the brains of people who have Alzheimer’s disease.

Eating a low-fat, low-glycemic-index diet, on the other hand, lowered levels of beta-amyloid in healthy adults and improved other markers of inflammation and damage in both groups.

What’s more, people who were already showing signs of Alzheimer’s appeared to be even more sensitive to the diets. They saw blood levels of total cholesterol rise nearly twice as much as those of healthy adults on a high-fat, high-glycemic-index diet.

For both groups, the low-fat, low-glycemic-index diet also improved delayed visual memory, which is the ability to remember and recognize complex patterns.

The study is published in the Archives of Neurology.

More at http://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/new...heimers-disease ... the full article is 3 pages long.

I wish they'd tried one factor at a time (fat/sugar) - instead of both and none
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 14:49

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisbabe

I wish they'd tried one factor at a time (fat/sugar) - instead of both and none

Exactly.
Quote:
Healthy people who ate high-fat, high-glycemic-index diets for one month saw increases in spinal fluid levels of beta-amyloid, a fibrous protein that clogs the brains of people who have Alzheimer’s disease. Eating a low-fat, low-glycemic-index diet, on the other hand, lowered levels of beta-amyloid in healthy adults and improved other markers of inflammation and damage in both groups.

How about trying a high fat, low carbohydrate diet instead? They are blaming the fat instead of the sugar.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 16:05

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Too many confounding variables for me to even worry about this report.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 16:42

Plan: WAPF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 0'0"
BF:0%/0%/0%
Progress: 163%

1. I'm not a fan of basing diets on the glycemic index/load
2. I've been reading a lot about the bad things PUFAs do to the body, so if they were using a PUFA-based diet it would fail by default...
3. They are guilty of bad science.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 16:58

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

I think the most frustrating thing from this is that the reason they did not use a high fat/low carbohydrate option,is because they consider the elimination of a food group(Grains,legumes)to be unhealthy..
They do not even consider a Paleo/Atkins approach to this research as they are so confidant those WOE are unmanageable and not worthy of study..To me the research community is still in the 1950's when it comes to the study and application of diet..It is as if you could take the Queen Mary back in time to the 1300's and say to them.."Here is a ship that will sail you safely around the world!" and they will reply.."You idiot! The world is flat!! Don't you know that?? Your ship is worthless to us,we are busy trying to measure the amount of water that falls off the edge of the world each year!!!!

Last edited by Thomas1492 : Tue, Jun-14-11 at 17:05.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 17:48

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I was writing a lengthy post about stuff but then I decided to agree with the other posters who pointed out that they should have just compared a low carb diet as well. The cynic in me thinks that they probably did but they didn't see anything positive that could ever come out of such findings.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 19:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
that steady blood sugar and insulin

and we all know which WOE does that best, don't we, class?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 19:46

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
In adults who had already begun to have some memory and brain impairment, however, the results were more complex.

Those on the high-fat diet saw little change in the Alzheimer’s biomarkers.

“That’s possibly because they’ve already got a very pathological process going on,” Craft says, and she thinks her short study wasn’t going to make things much worse.

Those who were on the low-fat diet saw increases in the levels of beta-amyloid in their spinal fluid

Am I reading this right? Are they saying that levels of beta-amyloid in spinal fluid actually went up on low fat, but stayed the same on high fat, in the people who should be most concerned about this stuff in the first place?

I think it was in Dr McCleary's Brain Trust Program that I read that insulin-degrading protein is also responsible for degrading amyloid plaque, the two compete for the ide. Healthy people might eat a higher carb diet, more insulin degrading protein is produced, and amyloid protein is disassembled--more insulin, more insulin/amyloid-degrading protein. Make sense? So, lower spinal fluid levels of amyloid protein on the higher carb, lower fat diet. Insulin levels weren't higher on the lower fat diet in healthy people, at least systemically. But I wonder what brain insulin levels were like?

Quote:
The low-fat diet, however, decreased those levels of beta-amyloid, insulin, and F2-isoprostanes and increased levels of apolipoprotein E, suggesting a protective effect.

The "healthy" people had increased levels of apolipoprotein E, supposed to be protective against amyloid plaque formation, in response to the high carb, low fat diet.

Healthy people ate high carb--and their bodies put out more of a substance that might protect them from alzheimer's. Is this a defensive response to a higher carb diet? Perhaps when things are working right, there's a little hormesis going on here; when do you put up a defense? When you're under assault. It's possible the sicker people didn't put up as good a defense; so no hormesis for them. For them, low fat just increases levels of amyloid, and perhaps, risk of alzheimer's.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 06:47

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

What a stupid study, I thought scientists were meant to try and cut out the variables but they've mixed too many things together to test.