Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 13:14

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I fried some pork tenderlion earlier in coconut oil... very good!

Kay Bee, I'm not sure I would use the sesame oil for cooking, it is high in PUFA's and oxidizes when exposed to heat, consuming oxidized oil is damaging to the body.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 13:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins + Paleo
Stats: 200/147/135 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

Thanks for the tips - I'll cook extra bacon and just store the fats to use I feel so weird, but kind of liberating doing this.

I'm happy we have a place to do this together and get help from one another. Thanks Manaloa!

Be sure you all get virgin/unrefined coconut oil or you risk trans-fats from what I've heard.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 14:50

Plan: general lc
Stats: 212/146/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 106%

mfish, pork in coconut oil sound wonderful!

Kay Bee, I may have to try the cinnamon on scrambled coconut oil eggs.

The fun of this has been trying out new combos of foods that I never would have tried before. Amazing what taking out staples like bacon and cheese can do toward pushing me out of my food comfort zone! Last night I enjoyed a salad of chopped strawberries, blackberries, and spinach leaves drizzled with mac oil along with a hamburger patty. The berries and spinach were quite good together!

And I'll add my thanks to Manaloa, also. It's nice to chat about Whole30 and not have people think I'm being obsessive!
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 20:38
Registered Member

Plan: Whole 30
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:
Progress: 26%

Wow, I go away for a couple of days and look what happens!

Kay Bee - the Whole 30 doesn't specifically mention peanut oil, but like Celtia said, it's falls under legume....

I think one of best things I got out of my first Whole 30 was making homemade salad dressings. Today I did one with olive oil, strawberries, melon & lemon juice - sweet & tangy, sprinkled with pepitas and some tuna on the side.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 05:22
Registered Member

BF:

Bring on Whole30 Day 2

I made it through my first day of the Whole30 program yesterday The most difficult thing for me was giving up the artificial sweeteners. I was having 1-3 packets a day of stevia and I do miss that.

I also realized that I can't have nuts right now. Way too much of a trigger/binge food for me. So no nuts, no fruit, (I'm still doing Atkins)... you'd think I'm feeling restricted by the food choices, but I'm not. It is nice not having to think so much about what to eat. It is easy now: veggies, meat, eggs, fish, fats.

I do miss butter!!!!!!!!

Bring on Day 2
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 10:11

Plan: Paleo/Whole 30
Stats: 240/240/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi,

I have celiac disease and eat a gluten-free diet. However it's pretty heavy on the dairy products. I am looking to lose some weight while still maintaining my gluten-free diet. So I will take up the challenge. I hope people will be sharing recipes!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 10:14

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Couple of questions for all participating....

Is bacon absolutely out? I re-read the guidelines Manaloa posted, and nowhere do I see that bacon is forbidden.

The guidelines also say no "paleo-fying" of foods. I make coconut milk pancakes that have as ingredients: eggs, coconut milk, coconut flour, coconut oil, and baking powder. Are they out too? I'm thinking yes they're out but only because of the baking powder.

Yeah Manaloa, look what happens when you go away for a couple of days! A whole bunch of us jumped the gun!
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 10:20
Registered Member

BF:

On the Whole30 website there is a "Fine Print" for processed meats and they say to read the labels. I'm eating an occasional uncured bacon. I've been needing the bacon to get the grease to use in cooking. I can only do so much

I made this great dish last night, speaking of recipes! I had a buffalo burger fried in bacon grease topped with spinach fried in bacon grease. The spinach on the burger was a nice replacement for my typical mayo + cheese.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 10:35

Plan: Paleo/Whole 30
Stats: 240/240/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_Bee
On the Whole30 website there is a "Fine Print" for processed meats and they say to read the labels. I'm eating an occasional uncured bacon. I've been needing the bacon to get the grease to use in cooking. I can only do so much

I made this great dish last night, speaking of recipes! I had a buffalo burger fried in bacon grease topped with spinach fried in bacon grease. The spinach on the burger was a nice replacement for my typical mayo + cheese.

I ADORE buffalo!
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 11:44

BF:

Yes, Manaloa, you wound up creating a gigantic snowball!

About bacon: As Kay Bee said, it falls under the "fine print" of occasionally using clean, as-unprocessed-as-possible processed meats. For myself, I ate a serving of bacon and a serving of cheese for breakfast every single day for the past 5 months, plus coffee with a goodly amount of HWC. It made me happy, I looked forward to it every day, and I lost weight. But the looking-forward-to-it part began to concern me, so I decided to completely get rid of the bacon along with the dairy for this 30 days.

Day 8 for me, and still going strong!
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 12:55
Registered Member

BF:

Bacon falls under the fine print - you can have it if it has no sugar and is uncured.

Paleo baked/fried foods also falls under the probably not portion. I think their goal is to stress eating foods that you can identify just by looking at it. There are earlier versions of the Whole 30 where they go into more detail on the no-no's. So even the people who have the site have gone back and forth on it. I think the deal with paleo pancakes, cookies, cakes or desserts comes down more on overeating comfort foods and what you're putting on the pancake, etc.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 06:13
Registered Member

BF:

I made a great dinner last night with broccoli, bacon, and onion. I posted the recipe and a photo on my blog if you are interested.

I'm feeling really great today - this is my Day 3. I focused yesterday on having 3 square meals with no snacks. I ended up having a small afternoon snack (green beans) because I got stuck at work late, but this is a HUGE improvement over my past habits. I was always snacking mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and after dinner. So I'm going to continue that focus today.

Good luck to you all, I look forward to reading your posts so please tell all!!!
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 10:57
Registered Member

BF:

Hey all, just to let you know, this blogger ( http://primalkitchen.blogspot.com/ )
is going to be doing a July Whole 30 challenge if anyone is interested in reading her blog.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 11:47

BF:

Hey, SlimmerSue, have you started? It's kind of hard at first without dairy, but it gets easier.

Day 10 for me. I can't believe I'm a third of the way through!
Yesterday for lunch I mixed up a lb of ground beef with coconut oil fried onion, plenty of salt, and italian seasoning. I separated into 4 patties and pan-fried (between low & medium heat), putting more salt and seasoning on as I fried. The flavor in the patty I ate was very satisfying and was a bit reminiscent of pizza or meatballs!

Thanks for the primalkitchen blog tip, Manaloa.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 12:08
Registered Member

BF:

Recipe: Linda Sue's Coleslaw
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/my_favorite_coleslaw.html

1/2 medium cabbage, finely shredded, about 1 pound *
1 ounce piece of carrot, shredded along with the cabbage
1 cup mayonnaise (Paleo mayo - recipe below)
1/4 cup Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda (I leave this out)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix the mayonnaise, Splenda (omit), vinegar and seasonings in a large bowl. Mix in the cabbage and carrot, stirring to coat well. Chill several hours before serving.

TIP: It may not look like the sauce will be enough to coat that much cabbage. It will be plenty, as you'll see after it has chilled a few hours. An easier way to get the sauce evenly mixed into the slaw is to put about 1/3 of the cabbage in a large bowl and blend in all of the sauce. Now add another 1/3 of the cabbage and mix well, then repeat with the remaining cabbage.

Makes about 10 servings
Do not freeze

* Or buy the pre-shredded coleslaw mix and omit the carrot

NEANDERTHIN MAYONNAISE
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/neanderthin_mayo.html
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika, optional
1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Table Blend, optional
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 cups oil

Put the chopping blade in your food processor and add everything except the oil. Process about 5 seconds. With the processor running, very slowly let the oil drizzle in a steady stream through the feed tube. Blend just until the mayonnaise is thick for a creamier mayonnaise. Blend an additional 2-3 minutes for a much thicker mayo.

Makes about 1 3/4 cups
Do not freeze