Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-11, 15:02

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Post » Whole Foods admits its organic foods contain genetically modified ingredients Alex

Genetically modified foods have become so ubiquitous in the US that even the grocery store ‘Whole Foods’ now admits it cannot keep biotech foods off its shelves. A representative for the corporation acknowledged in May of 2011 that the realities of the marketplace have forced a shift in the company’

Link :http://www.infowars.com/whole-foods...ed-ingredients/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-11, 18:20

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

AFAIK organic refers to the growing methods, like no lab-created fertilizers or pesticides. GM is a whole 'nother ball game.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-11, 20:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/212/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

I never did care for the CEO of Wholefoods. I hardly shop there anymore anyway. I get most of my food from local farms.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-11, 22:35
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Get over it. GMO's are no different that what Gregor Mendel could do in his garden -- only quicker. As a biologist, I don't see these foods as harmful to human health to any degree. I worry more about antibiotics and hormones given to livestock to increase their yields.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-11, 07:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Mendel could splice fish genes into a tomato? That was one talented monk!

I'm a bit concerned about the BT like genes they've put into crops, it also kills beneficial insects. I don't really understand how they can guarantee that the pollen from these experimental crops isn't going to spread to other species.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-11, 12:46

Stats: 212/212/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

I DO see them as harmful. Until they can be proven otherwise. Are there any scientific studies that prove these things are safe for public consumption? Splicing animal genes into food isn't the same thing as growing plant hybrids the traditional way.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-11, 13:13

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

It's not that the GMO's are intrinsically bad. However Montaso, the company that controls 90% of the genetically engineered seeds used in the US market makes the Galactic Empire look like a bunch of amateurs.

Just google Montaso.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-11, 14:51
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Mendel could splice fish genes into a tomato? That was one talented monk!
Given enough time ... any mutation is possible. That's why we're here. Cosmic rays from a Supernova.

http://www.pbs.org/deepspace/timeline/
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-11, 22:52

Stats: 210/199/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I agree with Nancy LC - that the issue is that much of the GMO involves toxins being combined into products like corn:

"Upwards of 85 percent of U.S. corn crops contain a special gene added that allows them to produce an insecticide. This way, when bugs attempt to eat the corn they're killed right away (specifically their stomach is split open) because the plant contains an invisible, built-in pesticide shield.

The particular gene added to most corn crops is a type of Bt-toxin -- produced from Bacillus thuringiensis bacteria. Genetic engineers remove the gene that produces the Bt in bacteria and insert it into the DNA of corn (and cotton) plants.

They claim that Bt-toxin is quickly destroyed in human stomachs -- and even if it survived, it won't cause reactions in humans or mammals ...

But studies are now showing that this is not the case, as Bt toxin is readily passing into the human bloodstream and animal studies have already shown that Bt-toxin does cause health effects in animals, including potentially humans."
See: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...uman-blood.aspx

The article goes on to say that these health effects include cancer, arthritis, Lou Gehrig's disease, atherosclerosis, osteoporosis and allergies.

So, if you are eating any corn that is not organic - you are ingesting these toxins. That includes high fructose corn syrup - which is in a high majority of our foods.

And we feed this stuff to our kids? These diseases will cost us a lot more than what we will ever save in "cheap food".
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 06:43

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

Frankenfoods. It will end badly.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 07:36
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geejaye
So, if you are eating any corn that is not organic - you are ingesting these toxins. That includes high fructose corn syrup - which is in a high majority of our foods.

I'm not sure you can avoid it if you're eating organically. Bt was always considered safe for organic farming and it has been used on organic farms for a long time.

Quote:
Bt proteins has been used in many organic farms for over 50 years as a microbial pest control agent (MCPA). Bt proteins are allowed in organic farming as a insecticide because Bt is a natural, non-pathogenic bacterium that is found naturally in the soil. Bt has also been found to be safe to all higher animals tested.

Bt strains account for nearly 90% of the world MPCA market. Most of the Bt products contain insecticidal crystal proteins (ICP) and viable spores (spores that can produce live bacteria). The ICPs are responsible for insect toxicity. ICPs are usually biologically inactive within hours or days. A few products contain inactivated spores.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 08:51

BF:

Quote:
I'm not sure you can avoid it if you're eating organically. Bt was always considered safe for organic farming and it has been used on organic farms for a long time.

Good point. But the BT toxin is MUCH more toxic in GMO food:

Quote:
The biotechnology companies that engineered these crop seeds claim that the pesticide has a history of safe use since Bt bacteria spray has been used by organic farmers for natural insect control.

The difference, however, between the Bt toxin produced by GM plants and natural Bt spray is that the Bt toxin in the GM plants is thousands of times more concentrated than natural Bt spray, is designed to be more toxic, has properties of an allergen, and unlike the spray, cannot be washed off. Though the toxins are supposed to be destroyed in the gut, studies have found this not to be always the case. So, essentially, we end up consuming these "harmless" toxins, the full effects of which are not yet known.

http://www.natural-health-guide.com...fied-food.htmll

It is hard to avoid GMO foods since even Whole Foods can't avoid them. We can lower our chances of eating these foods by eating organically - especially corn, soy and canola crops. And, we can stand up and demand that, minimally, our foods be labeled.

If GMO foods are so good for us - why is Monsanto afraid to label their foods as GMO?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 08:56
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
If GMO foods are so good for us - why is Monsanto afraid to label their foods as GMO?

Because they know there's a bias against them. One they would probably claim is more hysteria than real (if they were being totally honest anyway).
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 10:14

BF:

Quote:
Because they know there's a bias against them. One they would probably claim is more hysteria than real (if they were being totally honest anyway).

Studies have shown GMO's give us the risk of:

Quote:
Rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis, various types of cancer (multiple myeloma and prostate cancer)...Allergy, allergic rhinitis, ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)...Autoimmune disease and colitis...Inflammatory bowel disease, multiple sclerosis...and potentially damaging the integrity of our digestive tracts.

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/blog/1412

I would not call that real - not hysteria. Advertising against this type of evidence just takes too much of Monsanto's money. It is cheaper for them to invest in politicians, instead. See: http://www.naturalnews.com/030325_M...o_election.html
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 11:17
Experimenter

BF:

I know you wouldn't, but that's what Monsanto would say.