Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 23:28

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 199.6/184/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

I am pretty new to this. I started living a low-carb lifestyle in July. At that time, I didn't really consider it for my daughter, but she generally eats what I eat because I rarely cook two dinners. So, while at home, her diet has definitely changed. She still eats whatever they are serving at preschool, and I am fine with her having a cookie or something when we visit my parents on the weekend. But I have noticed that, when given the choice of what to have for breakfast (and that is her meal to choose 100%), she will always choose eggs or the occasional flax muffin. We have boxes of cereal (I am a bit of a couponer) that we will be donating to the food bank because she doesn't have any interest in them with the better options. She also seems more willing to try new things, and her behavior is much better - whether this is just another new phase or a result of dietary changes, I don't know.

I think that when she starts kindergarten next year, it will be very interesting. I will be packing her lunch (something I would have done even before changing my WOE because of the disgusting school lunch choices), and I am guessing they will be pretty low carb because that will be what we have in the house. Right now, she has the occasional sandwich because we still have bread in the freezer, but I will be coming up with other choices long before kindy because I don't really see myself buying more bread. I hope to get some good ideas on here!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 15:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

Hi, I love my DD's new pre-K, the only problem I have with them is about food. Every day they get cake or french toast, bread with chocolate spread and such. I told them I wouldn't be sending her on Fridays (good thing I don't work Fridays) since Fridays are "sweet days" - pancakes, blintzes cakes and whatnot all day. I call it poison day. Other than that the kids get a meat veg and carb meal for lunch and an almost decent breakfast. For some reason every discussion is an argument, with statements like "cake has less sugar than dates (which I send her with)", "when she is a teen she will rebel anyway", "bread is healthy", "the kids like it".

How do I deal with this?
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 17:08
Registered Member

Stats: 295/196.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

That is ridiculous. She isn't a teen right now for one thing. And because they like it isn't a very good reason either. Bread is not all that healthy. And the sugar in dates isn't processed like the sugar in cakes. I suggest putting nut butter in the dates so they have a nice punch of protein to them. Plus it is yummy as far as I can remember as I haven't had them in years. Can't you do packed lunches from home?

Have you tried speaking with whomever is in charge of the schoool? Have a real sit down discussion so that he/she can focus on what you have to say. Maybe even bring in some fact sheets to support what you are saying.

I've never heard such a thing as giving cakes and chocolate spread to school children and call it a meal. I am irritated. Can you tell? I worked in Preschools before Motherhood and there were lots of carby foods but it was bread and pasta. Cakes were for special occassions like a Birthday. Best of luck with getting the message across! Hope something can be done!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 17:30

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

My 15 yr. old son has been very LC for over a year now. (He started when he was 14 yrs. old.) He lost 37 lbs. He was a 14 yr. old boy with a belly flap hanging over his pants. He never tucked in his shirts because it really showed the flap. He never went swimming without a shirt on. He had 'boy boobs.'

He went LC the day that I went LC, June 21, 2010. He is very happy with the food that I feed him. (We homeschool, so I don't have to deal with school lunches. If I did, I'd send his lunch.) When he goes for sleepovers at a friend's house I pack food for him. All of my friends seem okay with this because they've seen the amazing transformation that's he's gone through.

My younger son, 11 yrs. old, isn't as strict about his LC. He has bread. But I don't cook rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. I cook LC food ONLY. My sons use LC tortillas and do wraps with a lot of the stuff I prepare. It's just the way we 'are' now. I don't even think about it anymore.

My sons enjoy frozen, unsweetened blueberries almost every day. I keep them in the freezer and they can scoop a cup out and eat some whenever they like. I make MIM's and they like those. (LC Muffin in a Minute.) I make whipped cream, vanilla or chocolate, and strawberry ice cream with HWC and frozen unsweetened strawberries and Splenda. They LOVE the food I make now! When their friends come over they say, "OH! You just have to try some of Mom's . . . (ice cream, chocolate mousse, ice cream, cake, quesadillas, chicken, etc.) because it's awesome!" All of their friends love my cooking because I use real BUTTER. (LOL!) It's a little embarrassing when their moms pick them up and the kids say, "Mom! You've got to get Ms. Donna's recipe for . . ."

For my oldest son's birthday I made LC strawberry ice cream with homemade LC whipped cream. For the other son, it was a LC key lime pie. They LOVED it! I put a candle in a MIM so they could blow something out.

I've had both of my sons watch YouTube videos about LC and 'Fat Head' the movie. They understand that what we are doing is healthy and right. They are old enough to be proud of the way that we eat.

When we go to parties I bring something like chicken salad (as a dip) with celery sticks so we know there will be something we can eat.

We always drink water. We never got into soft drinks when they were younger and the boys find they burn their tongues, so they don't like them. (Yay!)

Now when we go swimming, my son takes his shirt off. You have no idea how big this is for us! He wore a shirt while swimming for years and years.

If anyone were to ever question me about what I feed my children and 'depriving' them of sugar, I'd hit them with the 14 yr. old who was miserable and embarrassed of his body who lost 37 lbs. story and they shut up.

Last edited by Beez in BR : Sat, Sep-10-11 at 17:36.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 10:01

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 145/132/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

The thought that bread and sugar is poisoning people is horrifying to most people, even though most people know it is true deep down inside. You have to deal with people where they live. It sounds like the teacher who is arguing with you is struggling with the issue, which is good.

I have been amazed at how well my kids (5 and 8) are starting to internalized all this. The older one told me today how happy he was to be able to play organized games at recess now that his body has less fat. The younger one parrots back pretty much anything I say. I try to imprint on them that other people are dealing with different things in their lives, but we are working on eating healthy food. I think it is good practice for when they are teenagers and they have decide if they want to drink, do drugs and have sex because that is what everybody else is doing.

Sending in alternatives to the bread and sweets is a great idea. Your daughter will get used to it. Surely there are kids in the class that don't do peanuts, gluten or milk. My kids really like gum with xylitol. My kindergartener has decided on his own that he only wants it after school, even though he knows he can have it whenever the other kids get sweets.
The other thing I do with the kids is talk about how the other children behave after they have had carbs. Kids notice these things and they get it.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 10:03

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 145/132/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez in BR
My 15 yr. old son has been very LC for over a year now. (He started when he was 14 yrs. old.) He lost 37 lbs. He was a 14 yr. old boy with a belly flap hanging over his pants. He never tucked in his shirts because it really showed the flap. He never went swimming without a shirt on. He had 'boy boobs.'

He went LC the day that I went LC, June 21, 2010. He is very happy with the food that I feed him. (We homeschool, so I don't have to deal with school lunches. If I did, I'd send his lunch.) When he goes for sleepovers at a friend's house I pack food for him. All of my friends seem okay with this because they've seen the amazing transformation that's he's gone through.

My younger son, 11 yrs. old, isn't as strict about his LC. He has bread. But I don't cook rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. I cook LC food ONLY. My sons use LC tortillas and do wraps with a lot of the stuff I prepare. It's just the way we 'are' now. I don't even think about it anymore.

My sons enjoy frozen, unsweetened blueberries almost every day. I keep them in the freezer and they can scoop a cup out and eat some whenever they like. I make MIM's and they like those. (LC Muffin in a Minute.) I make whipped cream, vanilla or chocolate, and strawberry ice cream with HWC and frozen unsweetened strawberries and Splenda. They LOVE the food I make now! When their friends come over they say, "OH! You just have to try some of Mom's . . . (ice cream, chocolate mousse, ice cream, cake, quesadillas, chicken, etc.) because it's awesome!" All of their friends love my cooking because I use real BUTTER. (LOL!) It's a little embarrassing when their moms pick them up and the kids say, "Mom! You've got to get Ms. Donna's recipe for . . ."

For my oldest son's birthday I made LC strawberry ice cream with homemade LC whipped cream. For the other son, it was a LC key lime pie. They LOVED it! I put a candle in a MIM so they could blow something out.

I've had both of my sons watch YouTube videos about LC and 'Fat Head' the movie. They understand that what we are doing is healthy and right. They are old enough to be proud of the way that we eat.

When we go to parties I bring something like chicken salad (as a dip) with celery sticks so we know there will be something we can eat.

We always drink water. We never got into soft drinks when they were younger and the boys find they burn their tongues, so they don't like them. (Yay!)

Now when we go swimming, my son takes his shirt off. You have no idea how big this is for us! He wore a shirt while swimming for years and years.

If anyone were to ever question me about what I feed my children and 'depriving' them of sugar, I'd hit them with the 14 yr. old who was miserable and embarrassed of his body who lost 37 lbs. story and they shut up.

Thank you so much for posting, Beez in BR! It helps so much to hear a success story!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 11:09

Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

I have a lot of discussing to do, but at least they comply to my demands. I am also horrified to see the cake every day when I come to pick up DD at 3:30pm but at least she is eating the dates I send her with. I will send her with peanut butter. I just can't understand the other parents and the staff! What is wrong with this world that makes me the outsider?