Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-15-11, 19:22

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default ‘Bad’ Cholesterol Not As Bad As People Think, Shows Texas A&M Study

Well, I meant to post this several days ago and its hit other like-minded blogs and forums, but better late than never. Love this quote:

Quote:
Steve Riechman, a researcher in the Department of Health and Kinesiology, says the study reveals that LDL is not the evil Darth Vader of health it has been made out to be in recent years and that new attitudes need to be adopted in regards to the substance.

Quote:
Riechman and colleagues examined 52 adults from ages to 60 to 69 who were in generally good health but not physically active, and none of them were participating in a training program. The study showed that after fairly vigorous workouts, participants who had gained the most muscle mass also had the highest levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol, “a very unexpected result and one that surprised us.

Quote:
“It shows that you do need a certain amount of LDL to gain more muscle mass. There’s no doubt you need both – the LDL and the HDL — and the truth is, it (cholesterol) is all good. You simply can’t remove all the ‘bad’ cholesterol from your body without serious problems occurring.

http://tamunews.tamu.edu/2011/05/04...texas-am-study/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-15-11, 19:27

Plan: OWL
Stats: 280/249/175 Female 73.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hilarious! I think it is non-medically trained journalists, and politicians who do the most damage to people's health.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-15-11, 19:47

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Wooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Aggies!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 01:52

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Let's hope this news gets around!!!

amanda
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 06:21

Plan: OWL
Stats: 280/249/175 Female 73.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

The first thing my former nurse friend said when I said that I was going on a low carb, all meat and egg diet was "I'll see you in the cardiac ward."

I feel like I am living in an alternate universe here.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 07:59

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

My brother calls it living in an "ironocracy." The true reality is always the exact opposite of what we are lead to believe. So when you get a letter in the mail that says "important information enclosed - do not discard," you instantly throw it away without opening it. Same goes with health advice as far as I can tell. Take all the advice we are given about health and do the opposite if you want to be healthy. If a box of cereal says that it can help improve your health, it will be detrimental to your health. If you are told the exercise you most need to do is aerobic, they do anaerobic. I could go on and on.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 08:17

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Cholesterol is cholesterol is cholesterol. LDL is NOT cholesterol. It's a lipoprotein. L D L = Low Density Lipoprotein. HDL, VLDL, etc.

Small Tin Buckets, Big Tin buckets. STB, BTB. Water. Small tin buckets may contain water, but they are not water themselves. Let me show you:

Quote:
Steve Riechman, a researcher in the Department of Health and Kinesiology, says the study reveals that Small Tin Buckets is not the evil Darth Vader of health it has been made out to be in recent years and that new attitudes need to be adopted in regards to the substance.

Quote:
Riechman and colleagues examined 52 adults from ages to 60 to 69 who were in generally good health but not physically active, and none of them were participating in a training program. The study showed that after fairly vigorous workouts, participants who had gained the most muscle mass also had the highest levels of Small Tin Buckets (bad) water, “a very unexpected result and one that surprised us.

Quote:
“It shows that you do need a certain amount of Small Tin Buckets to gain more muscle mass. There’s no doubt you need both – the Small Tin Buckets and the Big Tin Buckets — and the truth is, it (water) is all good. You simply can’t remove all the ‘bad’ water from your body without serious problems occurring.

Saying that the cholesterol contained within the LDL from the liver to the cells is bad, and the cholesterol contained within the HDL from the cells back to the liver is good, is exactly like saying water contained in small tin buckets from the well to the houses is bad, and water contained in big tin buckets from the houses back to the well is good.

Nobody would be fooled into thinking that a tin bucket could be the water itself. We know the difference, we ain't stupid. But who knows what cholesterol is when we talk about LDL as if that was the cholesterol?

Imagine one ER doctor who treats a patient who just got his thorax ripped open. He's got to close it back up with all kinds of bandages, gauze, stitches, tubes, stents, patches, and whatnots. When he's done, he releases him to the recovery ward. Now imagine the recovery ward doctor (who was not in the ER when the other doctor treated the patient) examines our patient, discovers all the bandages, gauze, stitches, tubes, stents, patches, and whatnots, and declares that all of this is what caused the thorax injury and decides to ration bandages, gauze, stitches, tubes, stents, patches, and whatnots (remember, bandages and whatnots must be replaced frequently) for this patient to prevent or at least reduce further damage. All the while ignoring the man with the bloody axe standing right there.

That's the idea of statins. And it all starts with using Small Tin Buckets and their content interchangably to explain how it all works.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 09:43

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlovely
My brother calls it living in an "ironocracy." The true reality is always the exact opposite of what we are lead to believe. So when you get a letter in the mail that says "important information enclosed - do not discard," you instantly throw it away without opening it. Same goes with health advice as far as I can tell. Take all the advice we are given about health and do the opposite if you want to be healthy. If a box of cereal says that it can help improve your health, it will be detrimental to your health. If you are told the exercise you most need to do is aerobic, they do anaerobic. I could go on and on.

So right you are. And I love the word ironocracy!

There was an Eades blog about that some time ago, where he said he was happy to be getting all the "sad faces" at the AHA dietary analysis site by eating the opposite of what they recommend. Funny stuff, but his index and archives appear to be gone. It was either the AHA, ADA, or USDA site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Small Tin Buckets, Big Tin buckets. STB, BTB. Water. Small tin buckets may contain water, but they are not water themselves. Let me show you:

That was a very good analogy, especially considering that water is just as essential to human life as cholesterol.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 10:39

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

That word "ironocracy" is brilliant. Does it really exist?
Sorry to go off topic, but I write a lot of quizzes and that one looks like great material.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 10:46

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilili
That word "ironocracy" is brilliant. Does it really exist?
Sorry to go off topic, but I write a lot of quizzes and that one looks like great material.

I think my brother made it up. He's witty like that. He likes puns and wordplay. It gets old sometimes
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 11:03

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

Has anyone else heard that cholesterol is imperative for brain function?
My father, and many others, after being prescribed anti cholesterol medication has suffered much loss in brain and memory function. He was always fit and active, now he barely knows what day it is - luckily the days are on his med box, but he can't remember if he's taken them so never knows what day it is....
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 12:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

#13   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 12:17

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

It's a real tragedy what is happening with statins. It's being prescribed to people for whom it has never been shown to be useful (men aged more than 65) and is turning them into quasi-vegetables.

My mother is taking statins too, and I'm always on her case about it. She listens but doesn't do anything about it. It doesn't seem to have impaired her cognitive function, not that I can tell, but still. It's messing around with her body chemistry and is completely totally utterly useless. It's a lose lose, whichever way you look at it. Well, except for Pharma.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 14:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/212/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlovely

How sad that this is so true.

My mother was taking statins but has stopped because of the joint and memory problems she having now. Just makes me mad, all this bad information and lies floating around, ruining people's health!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 20:09

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za'atar
The first thing my former nurse friend ...

Just curious - is she a former nurse or a former friend?