Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-11, 13:36

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Very good, except those times when it's hard, lol. Mostly, I'm doing really well. I've come back to this just 6 weeks ago and I've lost 20 lb, which is pretty great for a middle aged woman, methinks. I'm generally not hungry and generally don't have cravings. I went off plan last night - it was our 20th wedding anniversary and we went out for some ice cream. I didn't go wild or anything, but I feel like today I have the munchies. I've stayed on plan all day - but part of my 'on plan' today was a couple tablespoons of peanut butter stirred up with baking cocoa and stevia. Hey, whatever works, right?

How about you? I know you're pretty much at your goal. How will eating/food change to keep you from losing weight that you should not lose?
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-11, 13:41

Plan: just low carb high protei
Stats: 462/204/190 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinhat
Very good, except those times when it's hard, lol. Mostly, I'm doing really well. I've come back to this just 6 weeks ago and I've lost 20 lb, which is pretty great for a middle aged woman, methinks. I'm generally not hungry and generally don't have cravings. I went off plan last night - it was our 20th wedding anniversary and we went out for some ice cream. I didn't go wild or anything, but I feel like today I have the munchies. I've stayed on plan all day - but part of my 'on plan' today was a couple tablespoons of peanut butter stirred up with baking cocoa and stevia. Hey, whatever works, right?

How about you? I know you're pretty much at your goal. How will eating/food change to keep you from losing weight that you should not lose?

i bought natural peanut butter too - need to try that thing. i wonder if its the same splenda we get over here. ours is in tubs powderd not packets
To be honest about changing to stop loosing - i have not started changing really - i am still eating very low carb. i just started eating my vegies a few days ago and i notice i eat far less when i eat my veg - but i am going to maybe eat more carbs . cos i really avoid them . just need to think of thing i like and try introduce them again but it will feel weird doing so - i will never eat sugar or white flower again blugh
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-11, 15:43

BF:

I think you are smart to take it slow, re-introduce things slowly, watch the scale and see what does and does not work for you. I wish you all the best!

Also, the splenda can be purchased here in a big pouch - it is fluffed up so that it measure the same as sugar for baking/following recipes. Or, you can get it in the wee packets, or also a liquid that is very concentrated. Right now, I have stevia in packets, splenda in the big pouch and 'Ideal' in wee packets. I use different ones at different times, but to be honest, I'm still figuring all that out.

I'm an avid gardener, and I freeze, can and dehydrate a lot of things. We have a small orchard, so I am used to making a lot of applesauce, jam, etc. There is a pectin I can use that does not require sugar, so I plan to make some fruit spreads with that and stevia. That is....if it ever rains and our fruit trees produce.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-11, 16:18

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

Quote:
I think you are smart to take it slow, re-introduce things slowly, watch the scale and see what does and does not work for you. I wish you all the best!

Also, the splenda can be purchased here in a big pouch - it is fluffed up so that it measure the same as sugar for baking/following recipes. Or, you can get it in the wee packets, or also a liquid that is very concentrated. Right now, I have stevia in packets, splenda in the big pouch and 'Ideal' in wee packets. I use different ones at different times, but to be honest, I'm still figuring all that out.

I'm an avid gardener, and I freeze, can and dehydrate a lot of things. We have a small orchard, so I am used to making a lot of applesauce, jam, etc. There is a pectin I can use that does not require sugar, so I plan to make some fruit spreads with that and stevia. That is....if it ever rains and our fruit trees produce.

Hey Cat,

Do you have deer damage to your orchard? If so, what do you do?

I just got a quote to put up a high tensil deer fence. My lips fell off. It was really unatractive. They want 5,500 dollars to put up 230 feet of 8 foot high mesh fence!

It would be a lot cheaper to buy a rifle and some freezer paper.....

I hate Bambi.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-11, 18:18

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Back to the OP........I have been stuck at a very frustrating stall just TEN pounds from my goal weight. I read about this strategy and I started Monday. Instead of chicken breasts, I've been eating chicken wings. Sausages instead of steak. Scallops drenched in butter sauce. I lost a pound already this week! And I feel fine. Hopefully this will speed things up in the "home stretch" I just want to hit that number and move on the to the process of maintaining!
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-11, 22:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechew
Hey Cat,

Do you have deer damage to your orchard? If so, what do you do?

I just got a quote to put up a high tensil deer fence. My lips fell off. It was really unatractive. They want 5,500 dollars to put up 230 feet of 8 foot high mesh fence!

It would be a lot cheaper to buy a rifle and some freezer paper.....

I hate Bambi.

I despise Bambi - just a rat on long legs, as far as I'm concerned. Colorado is a 'picky' state too - I have to take hunter safety this summer, and tags here are outrageous, but if I can get my act together, I plan to spend rifle season sitting on top of my barn roof, eating an apple and waiting.

We have used that Liquid Fence stuff, but you have to re-apply every time it rains...plus they still do some damage. They've rutted several trees completely out, and they eat a lot of leafy tips, so all our pruning is messed up now. They go around in the fall biting multiple apples too, which just makes me want to post venison recipes on all the trees.

I've read that putting fencing ON the ground around the trees makes them trip/stumble, but again, expense - and I don't want to move it to mow. Not that it's rained here this year, but still. I figure I'd need cattle panels or something similarly heavy (it's windy here) and for that kind of money, I can buy a lot of fruit.

We've also tried this weird thing we heard about - get some 50lb. test fishing line and string it 2-3 levels all around your trees. Supposedly when they walk into it and don't see anything, it makes them nervous/makes them freak out. It did seem to keep them out to a point, but it certainly wasn't 100%. But it costs 2.50 a roll at Walmart - a lot less than high tensile fencing.

I have a few likely stupid redneck ideas I want to try too - like using cable ties to attach pvc (8' lengths) alongside t-posts (the previous owner of this place left a lot of t-posts, so that wouldn't cost anything). I might try the 50lb test strung pretty regularly along the t-posts, and then intermittently up above, with those little marker flags (you can buy this thin plastic, about an inch wide at home depot that can be cut/torn in pieces about a foot long) and tied here and there on the upper bits of fishing line, hopefully to give them the idea that something is there and they should stay away.

Why are you laughing?

#97   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-11, 22:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannone10
Back to the OP........I have been stuck at a very frustrating stall just TEN pounds from my goal weight. I read about this strategy and I started Monday. Instead of chicken breasts, I've been eating chicken wings. Sausages instead of steak. Scallops drenched in butter sauce. I lost a pound already this week! And I feel fine. Hopefully this will speed things up in the "home stretch" I just want to hit that number and move on the to the process of maintaining!

This was my exact experience the first week after I read this thread and then really paid attention to upping my calories (they were way too low) by eating more fats. I ate sausages, jalapeno poppers full of cream cheese, dipped pork rinds in sour cream, ate peanut butter and made some really rich venison chili, and lost 4.5 pounds. Amazing! This past week, I was busier and strayed back to more chicken and such, and still, lost 2.
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 00:18

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
This was my exact experience the first week after I read this thread and then really paid attention to upping my calories (they were way too low) by eating more fats. I ate sausages, jalapeno poppers full of cream cheese, dipped pork rinds in sour cream, ate peanut butter and made some really rich venison chili, and lost 4.5 pounds. Amazing! This past week, I was busier and strayed back to more chicken and such, and still, lost 2.

So even though I am on the last 12 lbs still keep my fats up and also have low carb veggie s ?

I hope I am eating enough but I may have a feelin I am not getting enough calories despite feeling full and not hungry

What u think ?
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 00:58

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/238/145 Female 5' 10" (70")
BF:
Progress: 37%

the_gould - You have lost so much weight - you must be an expert in this by now, I'd think. And yet you are still unsure how to go forward with the last 12 pounds. It's refreshing.

My first reaction was: well, if it worked for the first 258 pounds, why wouldn't it work for the last 12?

Awesome job! I hope to be in the 100's someday too.
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 01:49

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldahling
the_gould - You have lost so much weight - you must be an expert in this by now, I'd think. And yet you are still unsure how to go forward with the last 12 pounds. It's refreshing.

My first reaction was: well, if it worked for the first 258 pounds, why wouldn't it work for the last 12?

Awesome job! I hope to be in the 100's someday too.

That's so true. I have just been reading on how to stop a stall and I think because my weight loss is slowed down I just assumed it was a stall. I read about protein and how to cut it down and how to increase fats. So I started to do that. But now I am thinking that maybe I didn't need to maybe it's just my body at it's weight it should be. Maybe I should no be avoiding protein

The only thing that confuses me is that the lowest I been was 14 St 8 and now 14 St 12 and it's wanna stick there Mayb it's cos I am close to the weight

Argh. Getting me down a bit
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 05:35
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 180/174/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Does anyone have a list of foods that are fatty, but, low carb like you are all talking about? I'm not seeing one. If there is, can you point me to what page? Sorry if I have missed it. This is very intriguing and I would like to try this. TIA
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 07:35

BF:

Texasgirl, the way I understand all this is mainly that for some people, they experience a stall if they're eating skinless chicken, tinned tuna, steamed shrimp, lean beef, etc....and it can be a result of calories beign too low, or too many of the calories being protein, and not enough being fat. So if you find you are not getting results, you can check your calories - I checked and mine were too low. To increase them, I ate more 80-20 ground beef, more avocado, sausage, dark meat chicken with the skin, etc. Fattier cuts of meat will work, putting mayo in the tuna salad, making deviled eggs instead of plain hard cooked eggs, etc.

If I understand it right, there is some newer research indicating that if there is too much protein, some of it can be converted to simple sugars, but I am not sure about that (not sure if I'm understanding it right), but I can say that with my grocery budget, it is certainly more economical to eat a fattier (generally less expensive) cut of meat than to eat twice as much lean protein.

Does that help you some?
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 08:21

BF:
Progress:
Smile

I think you have it spot on. That's my understanding of it. I really need to figure out how to cut protein down. Any thougts
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 08:29

BF:

I have a hard time getting enough protein as it is. Are you getting more than you are supposed to? For me, on the plan I'm on, I'm shooting for 75 g. a day, which is hard for me to get.
  #105   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 08:38

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I have a hard time getting enough protein as it is. Are you getting more than you are supposed to? For me, on the plan I'm on, I'm shooting for 75 g. a day, which is hard for me to get.

I dontthink I am getting what I am supposed to. Not the full amount. Will need to count it tomorrow but I think less is better when loosing ??? Or is it ?