Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-11, 13:38

Plan: sustainable local locarb
Stats: 155/135/125 Female 5'4"
BF:No idea!
Progress: 67%

Thanks for this thread. Have been stalled 3 months, but at least not gaining. I guess I just like to eat! from this discussion, it looks like too much protein may be the culprit. Have never done percentages. Eat 20-30 carbs per day, but not budging weight-wise. Very near goal, so this has been irritating. Just keep focusing on "lo-carb is healthy," and i do definitely feel better. Anyway, this discussion has been very helpful!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-11, 14:13

Plan: just low carb high protei
Stats: 462/204/190 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastnary
Thanks for this thread. Have been stalled 3 months, but at least not gaining. I guess I just like to eat! from this discussion, it looks like too much protein may be the culprit. Have never done percentages. Eat 20-30 carbs per day, but not budging weight-wise. Very near goal, so this has been irritating. Just keep focusing on "lo-carb is healthy," and i do definitely feel better. Anyway, this discussion has been very helpful!

you should try the percentages it really does just set your mind right that you are eating the higher amount of cals from fat then protein then carbs.

This is my second day back into the no carbs . dont know if i should just do 2 - 3 days no carbs just as a wee kick or go back to them tomorrow.

But honestly try the website for the free % counter and stuff. its really good

let me know what you think
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 03:11

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastnary

Hi Eastnary. In your case I would check calories first. If you've maintained for a while without cutting back on food it's a good chance you're eating well, to maintain. Low carb is a brilliant way of eating for life. It keeps our blood sugar steady and we don't experience horrible hunger/appetite surges. It sounds like you're doing that perfectly. But to lose weight, you need to check that your calories are lower than usual. A stall is only a stall if you're cutting back calories and still not losing.

Then you can try lowering your carbs a little more, and then checking that you're not eating too much protein (which is the stage of this thread's discussion). Lastly, add a little more movement to your days (just more housework, a couple of walks, simple gentle non-exercise type stuff).

The other tip, once you've checked your cals, is to check measurements and bodyfat%. Your body at this stage could be changing, losing fat, but not necessarily losing weight.

Good luck!
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 10:31

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Well, I plugged in a couple of my days from last week, and as I suspected, my calories were too low. This week (I track from Wednesday to Wednesday) I've been eating a LOT more fat. It feels like I'm eating all these rich, decandent things, but my cals are still just around 1400-1500, so it's not like I've gone off the deep end. Weight is dropping, sure enough. I'm down a couple pounds already.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 13:11

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinhat
Well, I plugged in a couple of my days from last week, and as I suspected, my calories were too low. This week (I track from Wednesday to Wednesday) I've been eating a LOT more fat. It feels like I'm eating all these rich, decandent things, but my cals are still just around 1400-1500, so it's not like I've gone off the deep end. Weight is dropping, sure enough. I'm down a couple pounds already.

this just by increasing your fat??
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 13:40

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nica
I use Fatsecret (free http://www.fatsecret.com) to keep track of calories and percentages. But I haven't used it for a few weeks because I'm just used to how I eat now.

You cannot just add fat to lose weight. You will likely just be adding lots more calories.
It's about rearranging your percentages.

Thanks for the web site. I loaded my food and worked on my percentages - this web site makes it so much easier to play with food to find the right combination.

It is quite a balance to lower the proteins and raise the fats to the listed percentages - all while keeping calories the same.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 14:43

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechew
Thanks for the web site. I loaded my food and worked on my percentages - this web site makes it so much easier to play with food to find the right combination.

It is quite a balance to lower the proteins and raise the fats to the listed percentages - all while keeping calories the same.

how did you manage to do this? just to see if its any better than i am doing it
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 17:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gould
this just by increasing your fat??

Yes...but I didn't eat pieces of butter or anything - for examples, I had a turkey breast steak that was left over, and I needed to eat that (waste not, want not) so I topped it with a cream cheese/garlic sauce to increase the fat and it only added a single carb.

I've chosen higher fat snacks - instead of beef jerky I chose guacamole with pork rinds for dipping, peanut butter toast (low carb bread), almonds, hard cooked eggs.

We had breakfast for supper one night and I was going to make ham and eggs. Instead I made breakfast sausage patties and omelets with cheese (and mushrooms and a little onion) in them. So, instead of lean ham, sausage and cheese, which added more fat and calories. (and got my calories much closer to where they should be)

Last night I made homemade ice cream and used 1/4 c. heavy cream, some sugarfree pancake syrup and water. Put all that in one of those cute little canister freezers and it made a healthy cup of ice cream for about 5 carbs, and lots of fat. The sugar alcohols did make me oogy (I don't have them often) but in the morning my weight was down more.

Adding fattier proteins (and the cream) are the only things I have changed. I do exericise, but I'm definitely no gym rat. I'll do 30 min. of Wii or walk aftern dinner (less than 2 mi.), but not much else.

I hope this info is helpful.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 01:17

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Yes...but I didn't eat pieces of butter or anything - for examples, I had a turkey breast steak that was left over, and I needed to eat that (waste not, want not) so I topped it with a cream cheese/garlic sauce to increase the fat and it only added a single carb.

I've chosen higher fat snacks - instead of beef jerky I chose guacamole with pork rinds for dipping, peanut butter toast (low carb bread), almonds, hard cooked eggs.

We had breakfast for supper one night and I was going to make ham and eggs. Instead I made breakfast sausage patties and omelets with cheese (and mushrooms and a little onion) in them. So, instead of lean ham, sausage and cheese, which added more fat and calories. (and got my calories much closer to where they should be)

Last night I made homemade ice cream and used 1/4 c. heavy cream, some sugarfree pancake syrup and water. Put all that in one of those cute little canister freezers and it made a healthy cup of ice cream for about 5 carbs, and lots of fat. The sugar alcohols did make me oogy (I don't have them often) but in the morning my weight was down more.

Adding fattier proteins (and the cream) are the only things I have changed. I do exericise, but I'm definitely no gym rat. I'll do 30 min. of Wii or walk aftern dinner (less than 2 mi.), but not much else.

I hope this info is helpful.

YEah this is more or less what i am doing
I am a bit scared to add extra carbs - i have been taking extra creams and stuff like you have been doing to up my fat. i am keeping a eye on my calorie intake. What sort of level of Cals are you eating just now. i am just eating about 900 - 1300 cals at the moment. i am at gym 3 times a week for a hour every time . burns about 600 cals. think the calorie intake i have just now is ok or needs increased?
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 08:17

BF:

Quote:
YEah this is more or less what i am doing
I am a bit scared to add extra carbs - i have been taking extra creams and stuff like you have been doing to up my fat. i am keeping a eye on my calorie intake. What sort of level of Cals are you eating just now. i am just eating about 900 - 1300 cals at the moment. i am at gym 3 times a week for a hour every time . burns about 600 cals. think the calorie intake i have just now is ok or needs increased?

That sounds pretty low to me, unless you are just teeny - but with that much working out, I would think you'd need far more calories. I was stalling, I think, because mine were too low. I am now somewhere around 1400/1500 ish? I'm not really tracking super duper well, because I don't feel like I have the time to dedicate to weighing every morsel and logging it all in somewhere. (I'm running a small hobby farm, raising and homeschooling a 5 year old, running a household, and my Hubby is home 4 days a week, so 'me time' is a bit premium.) So what I'm doing is counting carbs, making higher fat choices for my food like I explained above, and more or less guesstimating. I mean...I've been dieting in some form since I was..what...12 years old? I pretty much know what calories are in everything but furinture, know what I mean?

If your calories are too low, I think you end up with your metabolism dropping, but I'm no scientist. How do you feel? Are you tired, or do you feel like you have plenty of energy? Are you losing some over the course of, say, a month? Are you sleeping well, without dreaming of food? Do you get hungry or light-headed or anything? Ultimately, I think we can learn a lot from one another, but we have to listen to our bodies and figure out what works best for us. Happily, adding more fat to my intake is working just lovely for me. (I'm down 3 pounds in the past 5 days!)

Hope this is helpful,
-catinhat
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 09:23

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
That sounds pretty low to me, unless you are just teeny - but with that much working out, I would think you'd need far more calories. I was stalling, I think, because mine were too low. I am now somewhere around 1400/1500 ish? I'm not really tracking super duper well, because I don't feel like I have the time to dedicate to weighing every morsel and logging it all in somewhere. (I'm running a small hobby farm, raising and homeschooling a 5 year old, running a household, and my Hubby is home 4 days a week, so 'me time' is a bit premium.) So what I'm doing is counting carbs, making higher fat choices for my food like I explained above, and more or less guesstimating. I mean...I've been dieting in some form since I was..what...12 years old? I pretty much know what calories are in everything but furinture, know what I mean?

If your calories are too low, I think you end up with your metabolism dropping, but I'm no scientist. How do you feel? Are you tired, or do you feel like you have plenty of energy? Are you losing some over the course of, say, a month? Are you sleeping well, without dreaming of food? Do you get hungry or light-headed or anything? Ultimately, I think we can learn a lot from one another, but we have to listen to our bodies and figure out what works best for us. Happily, adding more fat to my intake is working just lovely for me. (I'm down 3 pounds in the past 5 days!)

Hope this is helpful,
-catinhat

no im not teeny lol . 14 st 9 and 6 foot 2 inches lol

you think the amount i am eating is maybe too little? i do have energy . wouldnt say pleanty but i do feel a little tired sometimes. i just put it down to my 12 hour shift. i am sleeping well yeah . never dreaming of food . i only get hungry about every 3 hours when i am due my next little meal but its just small hunger if that . sometimes after gym if i get up to quick in the sauna i feel a little light headed. like a head rush . today when at the gym i will burn off a min of 600 and i know my intake will be about 1000 - 1300 or 1500 not any more.

do you think maybe aim for 1500 a day?

love any feed back as we do learn from each other . thanks
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 09:39

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

Quote:
how did you manage to do this? just to see if its any better than i am doing it

Hi gould,

Go into the web site referenced. Go into My Eating Plan, where you jot down what you ate. The web site tells you immediately how much carbs, protein, and fat percentages you are at. It lists calories also. This site shows you everything you need to cut back on protein and increase the fat.

So I listed what I normally eat and got a base measurement. Then I start adding in fats to get it to the percentages she mentioned earlier. But I have to keep my calories the same, so I start cutting back on protein. This is the balancing act I mentioned.... Great tool IMO.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 09:49

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechew
Hi gould,

Go into the web site referenced. Go into My Eating Plan, where you jot down what you ate. The web site tells you immediately how much carbs, protein, and fat percentages you are at. It lists calories also. This site shows you everything you need to cut back on protein and increase the fat.

So I listed what I normally eat and got a base measurement. Then I start adding in fats to get it to the percentages she mentioned earlier. But I have to keep my calories the same, so I start cutting back on protein. This is the balancing act I mentioned.... Great tool IMO.

I done that . was sitting some days fat 61% protin 49% carbs 0 %
always having the fat the highest and would like to cut back some more on the protein though but i am sure my body uses it with the gym and so on
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 10:40

BF:

Gould, I think that if I were in your shoes, I would continue to increase calories (fat) and monitor weight, how you feel, all that. Nothing too sudden or drastic, just shift a bit, and see what it does for you. I wish you all the best!

Me, I'm 5' 3" if I use my best posture, so a good bit shorter (but also quite fat), and I'm eating about the same calories as you, my exercise consists of playing Wii, going for walks, and trying to keep up with all my responsibilities. For me, at this weight and activity level, the increased fat really seems to be working well, and I guess that's about all I know.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 10:44

BF:
Progress:
Question

Quote:
Gould, I think that if I were in your shoes, I would continue to increase calories (fat) and monitor weight, how you feel, all that. Nothing too sudden or drastic, just shift a bit, and see what it does for you. I wish you all the best!

Me, I'm 5' 3" if I use my best posture, so a good bit shorter (but also quite fat), and I'm eating about the same calories as you, my exercise consists of playing Wii, going for walks, and trying to keep up with all my responsibilities. For me, at this weight and activity level, the increased fat really seems to be working well, and I guess that's about all I know.

I have been doing the increased fat for about a week now - and its working good . lost a pound even though i have notthing really to loose just now - it will take the operation to remove my extra skin for me to loose that last bit - because it is skin weight and not fat weight . In saying that i have increased the cals from fat but at the same time i have dropped cals from protein . making a bigger deficit . maybe a little more wont hurt