Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 09:47

Plan: just low carb high protei
Stats: 462/204/190 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayria
FATS I am new and reading how much weight you have lost has amazed me. Never sure about high fat and just how high one should go. It seems that high fat is suiting you guys. I did read somewhere that having more fat rather than too much protein is easier on the kidneys and also better for insulin levels. I personally don't know so cannot say. I think the proof is in the eating. I am a bit scared about eating too much fat. Guess it is all the low fat diet idea that is rammed down our throats. I am not into low fat myself. I know it doesn't work for me because my carbs naturally increase. Great reading your posts and very enlightening.

Thanks

I know how you feel but what to remember is that it is not the Fat that makes you gain weight. its the Carbs. It deffo works. Give it a go and the main thing to remember is to get your calories from mostly fat then protein and last of all Carbs. Easy as.

Guide line - you will feel guilty you will feel as if you have eat to much even though it is not extra amounts but just more fatty food. This is normal but when you step on the scale you will start to relax . i was worried when i done my weight this morning but when i have seen i dropped 4 Lbs in a week i was happy and more reassured - good luck with it and give it a go
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 02:38

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber130
On fitday I found my ratios to be 65%F, 26%P, 7%C. That's working for me and I'm sticking to it. I'll keep you posted on how things continue.

woohoo! you must feel so happy and motivated! Those percentages look fab. And yes, do what works for YOU.

Gould, have never tested for ketosis, don't want to go there (obsessive or anything). I know I must be in that state when my hunger/appetite is very low. And eating under 10% carbs has got to get you there.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 02:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayria
FATS I am new and reading how much weight you have lost has amazed me. Never sure about high fat and just how high one should go. It seems that high fat is suiting you guys. I did read somewhere that having more fat rather than too much protein is easier on the kidneys and also better for insulin levels.

Hi Sayria.

The thing about being scared to eat lots of fat is that a lot of us spend years struggling with weight or food issues. Although I've had many many moments of being scared to eat this or that, especially when I'm on a roll with fat loss, I have come to a more peaceful place with it all. I know now that having a day ir two of eating high carbs isn't the end of the world. I enjoy myself to the fullest and know that I can get back to fat loss right away with my way of eating.

Likewise, I know that if I'm struggling with loss, or stalled, or hunger... well, as they say, insanity is doing the same thing expecting a different result. So if things aren't going well, what do I have to lose by trying something else, even something scary?

Lower your carbs, eat just enough protein, up the fat, keep an eye on calories, and see how you go. Whether you lose weight, bodyfat%, inches, and how you feel with hunger and energy.

With low carbs, moderate protein and high fat - for me, I lose weight (or maintain depending on calories), I'm not constantly hungry, my taste buds are very happy, and I have more energy. The last two were difficult on high protein.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 03:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/163/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

This is so true! I know that when I restrict my carbs too much my weight loss stalls. When I gave a bite of rice or two (and I'm being literal here) I see increased loss.

Although right now, I'm battling the forever hungry and never satisfied part of the month. Ughh! How do you ladies deal?
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 15:13

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn77
This is so true! I know that when I restrict my carbs too much my weight loss stalls. When I gave a bite of rice or two (and I'm being literal here) I see increased loss.

Although right now, I'm battling the forever hungry and never satisfied part of the month. Ughh! How do you ladies deal?

Glad i dont have that :P
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 02:37

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nica
Israeli - yes, you can't just add more fat. Look back at the earlier posts.

It's about ratios, or percentages. I eat about 70% fat. But keep my calories to what works for me. Adjust your fats slowly and reduce everything else, to find your optimal percentage and amount of food.

the gould, no such thing as high fat and low calorie!

Forget about what you should be eating regarding protein. Just experiment and discover yourself what works for your body. I eat below recommended amounts of protein, and higher fat.

As I said previously - eat just enough protein to keep hunger away. Then eat lots of fat, and minimal carbs. Adjust as needed to keep calories not too high.

Also, worrying about 1lb up or down every day is going to send you crazy. Our bodies are too complex to look at so closely on a daily basis. Weigh less often, or at least don't worry about it so much. And take measurements and body fat counts - they're better especially when you get closer to your goal.

I used to do it weekly but just that little stall made me worry. i am now only doing it on my days off. I am happy with a pound or two a week just now.

The reason being is that i have excess skin i need cut off. The weight of this is from 14 Lbs to 30 Lbs maybe even more. so if you take that off my 14 St 9 Lbs i am my perfect weight just now and this is why it will be a little slower plus anyone near their weight level will slow off too

Thanks
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 03:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn77

Actually, we're discussing very low carbs and high fat here. lol

I'm not hungry because I'm in ketosis (by assumption) from eating low carbs and satisfied from eating high fat, which is of course tasty.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 04:32

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nica
Actually, we're discussing very low carbs and high fat here. lol

I'm not hungry because I'm in ketosis (by assumption) from eating low carbs and satisfied from eating high fat, which is of course tasty.

Same here

I have never felt hungry or in need of "munchies" as my body is going into Ketosis through the lack of Carbs. As nice says higher fats are part of my diet yum yum yum also
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 07:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/163/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I definitely partake in the high fat diet! It's very tasty!
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 08:34

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I think I will give this a try - thank you for all the information. I've been keeping my carbs around 30 a day for 4 weeks. I lost a lot the first week, some the second, some the third, and just 1 lb. the 4th week...but looking back at my notebook, I've been eating far leaner meats recently. So now I know that I'm going to make turkey salad with mayo for lunch. We were going to have lean ham and eggs for supper tonight, but I'm low on ham anyway, so I'll thaw some breakfast sausage instead.

I need to use a tracker and plug in my stuff to figure my percentages - any recommendations? (thanks!)
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 13:52

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gould
Good luck amber

Would deffo suggest buying the coconut oil

Heavy cream is also good. very little carbs and high fat and the same with double cream . just look at the lable as some brands may differ

Any suggestions on working the double cream into the diet? is it acceptable just to whip it ( so it doubles volume and still has the same cals and fat there for taking less to eat due to the air ) and just having it with say eggs on the side or fold them into it?

I am being honest. today i weigh in and i was 1/2 a pound up and this has made me nervous. i automatically blamed the high fat but i am weighin every day ( i know i shouldnt ) and i know this is prob just daily flux in my weight . its only half a pound. what you think?
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 12:09

I use Fatsecret (free http://www.fatsecret.com) to keep track of calories and percentages. But I haven't used it for a few weeks because I'm just used to how I eat now.

You cannot just add fat to lose weight. You will likely just be adding lots more calories.
It's about rearranging your percentages.

What do you mean by, "for taking less to eat due to the air"???

I use cream in coffee, on the side with all sorts of foods (no rules to how you eat), over fruit, on it's own with a little Splenda (or with splenda and cocoa for a dessert), whisked into scrambled eggs....
But everyone is different with cream (some stall), I would suggest olive or coconut oils first, then butter, also avocados and mayo, then nuts and cream. Lastly cheese.

Please never be concerned over 1/2lb or even a couple of lbs. Life is way too short for that sort of worry! Most important is a healthy relationship to food and a way of eating for life.

good luck, keep us updated.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 12:36

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thanks, Nica, I will check out fatsecret. I can't really give real results just yet because I just started yesterday, but yesterday's food choices were higher in fat - it just sort of worked out that way because of the food we were having. I know my net carbs were 25 for the day, but I didn't really measure for the other two macros - I just know I had fairly average protein servings (for me) and chose higher fat foods for meals and snacks (nuts, eggs, cheese, sausage).

This morning my weight was down a pound.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 12:58

BF:
Progress:

Is that the basics all in ?? Choose higher fat foods like fattier meats and use creams and oils and slow down on protein and really slow on carbs ??? Should we avoid proteins in natural food like meat or just avoid taking extra to supplement like whey ??

Just clearing up my doubts. This is my first day back to zero carb for a change to see if will help shift last ten pounds

Today instead of my Advocado i had 3 Kabanos - ( little polish sausages ) 92 Kcals each and 7.6 G Fat each ( good wee source ) then for morning meal i had a few bits of bacon a little bit brie and 1 and half kabanos . lunch time i just had a chicken leg shredded up with a little cheese - skin as well for the fat then afternoon meal was 2 bits of bacon and another one and half kabanos . got home and had a gammon steak . So i am getting the fat in . i would say my fat is the highest source of cals? protein next. from the meat and the chicken and not even a whole gram of carbs in the day . this look about right nica?? so as not just to add extra fat on top of what i was already eating i have changed the ratio? i joined that site you said. how do i work out my ratios? thanks

Last edited by the_gould : Fri, Jun-17-11 at 15:25.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 15:52

BF:
Progress:
Question

Just worked it out on how to do the %

it is

Calorie Breakdown:
Carbohydrate (0%)
Fat (62%)