Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-25-11, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power-modified
Stats: 95/103/98 Female 59inches
BF:?/?/18%
Progress: 267%

Wow...this makes me want to do high fat for a while. I have my wedding in 5.5 weeks and I've been stuck trying to lose the last 7 pounds. Don't know what to do about that.

my problem is that my only source of fat is seeds and cheese for the most part because I can't wrap my mind around adding a tbsp of fat to something when that 120cal is equal to an extra piece of fish. I need to reframe my thinking I guess. I could give it a week.

Nica: how, many carbs do you eat? How much exercise do you get?? We seem to be pretty close in size.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 03:28

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

Hi veglover.

Thing is with protein, is that you need enough for muscle repair and other technical whatnots (I would say I eat below recommended amounts). But as for eating-wise - you need to eat enough to feel satisfied, to not feel hunger. We're all different so you just discover that out for yourself through trail and error. if you need that extra piece of fish to stave off hunger, then better have that than fats.

So, once you have enough and no more, you make up the rest of your calories with fat, and carbs last of all. I eat very low carb (when fat losing) so for me carbs just pop in by default, rather than I include them. Such as carbs in milk, cheese, nuts, etc.

I ate 1/2 a can of drained tuna in water for lunch today, with mayo, olive oil, and herbs added. It fills me up and is tasty, I'll eat the rest a little later.

Me personally, I find hard cheese seems to stall me. And polyols wreaked havoc. I do eat fatty cream cheese - filling!

The aim is to play with your macronutrient percentages so that fat is highest. At least 65%. I use Fatsecret free online.

Also, now that I'm so close to my goal, I have found that physical movement helps a LOT. Notice I don't say exercise.
More housework, short or long walks, gardening, that sort of thing. There is only so low you ought to take your calories, and also your body adjusts so much. I do this only every 3rd day.

As you still have 5 weeks to go, no harm giving it a try for a couple of weeks, see what happens.

Let me know!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 04:41

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/130/116 Female 61 inches - 5ft 1"
BF:32.8/19/15
Progress: 68%

Hi Again veg lover!
I eat 70% fat 25% protein 5% carbs
A quick way to up your fats is to take a tablespoon of flaxseed oil morning and night. It is disgusting, worse than cod liver oil, but it is quick and easy. I am used to this taste now.
Another is coconut oil, this you can eat, or use it to cook with or add it to black coffee.
I use both of these daily to change my ratios round so fat is the highest %, it broke my stall and i have to say the flax seed oil makes me go to the toilet I dont have time with work and the gym to sit and think of different ways of upping my fat so this was a quick solution and it woked for me.
2 tablespoons of either will give you 240 calories and 27g of fat according to fit day. Flaxseed oil has some brilliant health benefits if you google it.

Good luck
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 07:10
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power-modified
Stats: 95/103/98 Female 59inches
BF:?/?/18%
Progress: 267%

Thanks for the advice ladies. I guess its just being trapped in the" I want to maximize my food intake for the caloriies I consume" mindset that makes me default to cutting fat intake.

So my macros are often 50% protein, 35% fat, and 15% carbs (sometimes 30/20 for fat/carbs).

I have not been hungry at all while eating 1700 calories max and getting my burn up to 2200-2500 calories. So I definitely have a deficit but the weigt is coming off. hopefully im retaining water in my fat cells to displace the lost fat and it comes off soon.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 11:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/263/200 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 3%

I calculated the optimum ratios for myself ... and it looks like I would have to eat 210 grams of fat .... I'm not sure I can do that. I barely hit 150g a day. But I feel like I'm stalling and I want the scale to move. ugggggg
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-27-11, 02:40

I find it easier to work on ratios/percentages sunny068, rather than grams. I ignore recommendations and eat what is right for my body and hunger. I don't eat anywhere near my recommendations, slow metabolism, thyroid, who knows, but recommendations are only guidelines, for anyone.
Just keep fat percentage around 65-80%, and carbs low. Regardless of grams or calories. But keep an eye on cals just to be sure I'm not overeating (as so easy to add fats).

Flaxseed oil is very healthy. Personally, I prefer to only include tasty foods in my diet. I want this as a way of life.... and I like nice tastes! lol
I find adding olive oil to main meals pretty easy. And nut butters as snacks.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-27-11, 02:48

One more thing I wanted to add.

If you have had issues with protein, which is why I began shifting towards fat in the first place. (difficulty digesting, stalling)

What I have also discovered is that I seem to lose more (and have better BMs) when I eat fish rather than chicken (breast is worst) or pork. Oily fish mostly - tuna, salmon, mackerel.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-27-11, 09:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/263/200 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 3%

Really??? (about the fish and BM). I eat buffalo wings like EVERY single day. I did have tuna for the 1st time in a very long time this week so maybe I'll add that back in more reguarly. I also have ahi tuna steaks that I need to cook, and swordfish steaks, how are those as far as fat?
  #24   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 01:51

Yes, I was eating mostly chicken, and felt my digestion wasn't very good (keep in mind I don't have the best digestion). The food sat in a way that felt dry and a long digestion process. I don't have this with fish. There must be something in the protein make-up - how it's digested and how the protein is used.
I have to eat more when I eat fish to not lose too much. ymmv, but as always, worth a try.

Yesterday I had a higher carb day, with salmon (110g) and veg, in a cheese cream sauce for lunch. I still lost. I know this wouldn't have happened with the same amount (calories) of chicken.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-11, 07:52

Plan: just low carb high protei
Stats: 462/204/190 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress:

I have 11 Lbs to go before i get to my goal and my ideal weight. I then have a operation to get my excess skin removed. I have slowed right up for the first time in the whole process of my diet. now reading up on this i am maybe knowing why. I eat mostly proteins. Tuna Fish Chicken but recently more pork and red meats i use a protein shake fist thing in the morning. Should i now include more fats ? and drop the proteins ? could this help me get these last 11 lbs of faster? i am used to 4 - 8 Lbs loss in a week .. let me know what you thinkg guys?? forgot to add do you have any suggestions of higher fat food with not that many cals or just higher fat foods in general? and where to get coconut oil/

thanks

Last edited by the_gould : Tue, Jun-07-11 at 11:37.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-11, 09:13

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Excellent thread! Very informative. I have been on the Optimal Diet for a while and it works best. I find I still have fat paranoia and don't eat enough. Will work on it.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-11, 10:38

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Yikes! Got the fat up but so did the calories. I need to stay between 1500 and 1200 cals per day to see any loss. It seems to be a menopause thing. I ended up at 2000 cals today. That will be un tenable for me.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-11, 11:42

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israeli
Yikes! Got the fat up but so did the calories. I need to stay between 1500 and 1200 cals per day to see any loss. It seems to be a menopause thing. I ended up at 2000 cals today. That will be un tenable for me.

what sort of higher fat things have you been eating???
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-11, 01:28

BF:
Progress:

this is my first day of more fat - and a loss of one lb . now down to 14 st 10 Lbs. i had the same loss last week but it went back up the pound the next day. so lets see tomorrow if it is still down at the 14:10 Lbs. should i cut out protein? i have been using it all my diet as in chicken and tuna eggs and protein shake. (whey) i looked into protein and i should be eating 165 - 206 g of protein a day for loss - should i also keep below that?

Last edited by the_gould : Wed, Jun-08-11 at 01:46.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-11, 03:07

Israeli - yes, you can't just add more fat. Look back at the earlier posts.

It's about ratios, or percentages. I eat about 70% fat. But keep my calories to what works for me. Adjust your fats slowly and reduce everything else, to find your optimal percentage and amount of food.

the gould, no such thing as high fat and low calorie!

Forget about what you should be eating regarding protein. Just experiment and discover yourself what works for your body. I eat below recommended amounts of protein, and higher fat.

As I said previously - eat just enough protein to keep hunger away. Then eat lots of fat, and minimal carbs. Adjust as needed to keep calories not too high.

Also, worrying about 1lb up or down every day is going to send you crazy. Our bodies are too complex to look at so closely on a daily basis. Weigh less often, or at least don't worry about it so much. And take measurements and body fat counts - they're better especially when you get closer to your goal.