Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 07:25

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Higher overall levels of sugar in bloodstream appears to be good predictor of death

From Dr Briffa's blog:

Quote:
Higher overall levels of sugar in the bloodstream appears to be a good predictor of death

Posted By John Briffa On 27 April 2011

One key factor in health, I believe, is the general level of sugar in the bloodstream. We don’t want blood sugar levels too low (this starves the cells of energy in certain circumstances and can even be fatal). We don’t want them too high either. Glucose can bind to proteins in the body and damage. This process, known as ‘glycation’, is believed to be a major cause of the complications of diabetes including retinal disease (disease at the back of the eye that can lead to visual problems and blindness), kidney disease and nerve damage.

In addition, ‘spikes’ in blood sugar, can lead to other processes linked with disease including increased inflammation, increased ‘oxidative stress’ (free radical damage), and increased coagulation (making the blood ‘stickier’ and more likely to clot). You can read more about these issues here.

One standard test of assessing blood sugar levels is a ‘serum glucose’, which can be measured in the fasting or non-fasting state. The fundamental problem with this test, as I see it, is that it really provides only a snapshot of blood sugar levels. It doesn’t, therefore, tell us much about the medium and long-term blood sugar levels in an individual.

A better test, in this regard, might be what is known as the HbA1c (sometimes abbreviated to the ‘A1c’). This test measures levels of what is known as ‘glycated haemoglobin’. Haemoglobin is the substance in the red blood cells responsible for carrying oxygen around the body. It’s also a protein. When glucose reacts to it, it forms glycated haemoglobin. Now, red blood cells are constantly being broken down and then replenished from the bone marrow. We get a complete new set of red blood cells every 3 months or so. What this means is that the HbA1c test gives us a pretty good idea of overall blood sugar control over the last 3 months or so. HbA1c levels are measured as a percentage of total haemoglobin. Ideally, HbA1c levels should be less than 5 per cent.

I was interested to read about a study published on-line recently which looked at the relationship between HbA1c levels and overall risk of death in individuals over a seven and a half-year period [1].

Compared to individuals with HbA1c levels of 5.5-5.9 per cent (used as the reference value), those with HbA1c levels of 6.5-7.4 per cent were 39 per cent more likely to die. Those with values 7.5 per cent and above were more than twice as likely to die.

Even when fasting blood sugar levels were taken into account, these results stood. However, interestingly, the fasting blood sugar level was not a good predictor of death once HbA1c levels were taken into account. In other words, HbA1c levels were a much better predictor of risk of death than fasting blood sugar levels.

Now, studies of this nature do not prove that having a relatively high HbA1c level is going to kill us. However, we do know that high sugar levels predispose to disease-causing processes, so there is a good likelihood that there is a direct relationship between HbA1c levels and risk of death.

Should you be interested in reducing your HbA1c levels over time (which has particular relevance for diabetics) then you might consider a low-carbohydrate diet. Although, if you take this approach, I recommend you work with a practitioner who can give you guidance on how to do this and adjust your medication accordingly (diabetics who adopt a low-carb approach very often require less medication and, not uncommonly, none at all).

References:

1. Silbernagel G, et al. Glycated Hemoglobin Predicts All-Cause, Cardiovascular, and Cancer Mortality in People Without a History of Diabetes Undergoing Coronary Angiography. Diabetes Care 22 April 2011 [epub ahead of print] Abstract can be viewed here.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 14:27

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Even when fasting blood sugar levels were taken into account, these results stood. However, interestingly, the fasting blood sugar level was not a good predictor of death once HbA1c levels were taken into account. In other words, HbA1c levels were a much better predictor of risk of death than fasting blood sugar levels.

That makes sense, the A1c would give the 24/7 overall picture.

Interesting article.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72 or close
Stats: 260/242/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 15%

Yeah baby, my last A1c was 5.6!!! With no evidence of diabetes. The doctor said I was boring but she still insisted that I need cholesterol meds. I said no thanks of course, but it annoys me that she was so stubborn as to not get what this article just stated. She is no longer my primary care physician.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 14:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72 or close
Stats: 260/242/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 15%

Sadly, I have a couple of friends whose A1c is around 12!!! It breaks my heart, because they just don't get it about low carbing and keep binging on crap that is killing them. Hello, if you eat enough protein and fat the cravings just disappear!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 14:53

Plan: WAPF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 0'0"
BF:0%/0%/0%
Progress: 163%

Since I've been eating almost no carbs the last week this makes me feel even healthier. =D
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 16:14

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's nice to see more studies being done.

Peter Dobromylskyj wrote a blog post about a similar study, a few years ago.

An excerpt from that post:

If you filled a room with 100 people, all with a HbA1c below 5% in 1997, and then invited the same 100 people back for a chat in 2003, how many empty places would there be at the second meeting? The answer is that about 4 people would be absent through having died. If you had a separate meeting arranged for people who's HbA1c was over 7%, how many empty seats might there be after that same six years? The answer is about 19. Having high sugar in your blood is very bad news. Those are the figures for men, the approximate numbers for women are 2 deaths in the low HbA1c group and 25 deathsin the high group. It's a simple relationship, the higher the HbA1c, the worse the outcome.

What did these people die of, associated with their high sugar levels?

Heart disease appeared to be quite important.

Did the researchers check cholesterol levels? You bet they did! Nil, zero, zilch association with heart disease.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-11, 13:26

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%
Default Can you link me to the cholesterol part?

I read the abstract and there was no mention of testing cholesterol levels.