Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:41

Plan: no grain,no dairy
Stats: 224/190/180 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Play and sex behavior is also controlled by hormones, i.e. dopamine and endorphins and testosterone/estrogen. So what's your point?

it's not related to food intake or rather ventromedial nucleus is not involved in appetite, fat storage and energy homeostasis .
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:57

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad416
Insulin is secreted everytime you eat a meal and in a pulse form every 5 minutes or so . Insulin is synthesized and released from pancreatic beta cells
in response to elevations in plasma glucose concentrations,
specific amino acids (e.g. arginine), potassium and parasympathetic nervous system tone. Insulin is too important to be "controlled" and is largely automatic and can be triggered by the mere thoughts .

Again, that makes no sense at all. "Too important to be controlled"? What does that mean? Are you saying that since insulin is the primary regulator of fat tissue, something you agree with, that insulin is too important to even consider affecting its secretion by changing the amount of carbohydrates we eat? That's yet another moral judgment on your part that has no bearing on the nature of insulin, or our capacity to control it through various means.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:58

BF:

Quote:
I have called insulin shock therapy as "criminal" , don't try to put your words into my mouth or go on some random moralizing

That's right, you made an argument that has exactly zero bearing on the subject at hand: It's irrelevant.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 21:03

BF:

Quote:
it's not related to food intake or rather ventromedial nucleus is not involved in appetite, fat storage and energy homeostasis .

Now you're going on a tangent that has no bearing on the discussion any more. However, I have yet to hear from you a proper explanation why you contradicted yourself on the arcuate nucleus and insulin.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 21:07

BF:

Quote:

Actually, I could make the point that play and sex behavior is intimately linked to nutritional status. When we're hungry, we do not get easily turned on or enticed to have fun. In fact, there's probably an inhibitory mechanism from nutritional status on reproduction and pleasure.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 21:18

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Vlad, the quote from the Google book is from a psychology book. Are you saying that obesity is a problem of behavior, i.e. we eat too much? Are you saying the solution is to eat less? Are you saying fat tissue is inert, i.e. a big fat garbage dump that has no say on what happens to its content?

It's very ironic that you would use hormones in an attempt to contradict anything Gary Taubes said. The biggest point Gary Taubes makes is that obesity is controlled by hormones, i.e. a physiological problem. It makes very little sense to attempt to show that obesity is a psychological problem (i.e. we eat too much) by quoting stuff that talk about hormones that control hunger. It's like you're trying to tell us that this car's mechanical problems is due to driver error by pointing out all the mechanical systems failures the car suffered.

Fat tissue is controlled by hormones. So is hunger. They are both physiological problems. In fact, our behavior is a physiological problem because the brain is made of flesh, just like the rest of our body. The brain is controlled by hormones. Muscles, organs, fat tissue, all tissues are controlled by hormones.

It's entirely possible that as we grow fatter, fat cells send a signal to the brain "eat more". That's probably how we learned about ghrelin and leptin. We probably noticed a correlation between mysterious hormones not yet identified and fat tissue mass. And wouldn't you know, there is a correlation between ghrelin, leptin and fat tissue mass. Very obese people need to be injected with massive doses of leptin compared to leaner counterparts: They are leptin resistant. Obese people probably have loads of ghrelin floating around as well since ghrelin induces hunger. But you probably know all this since you're the one quoting stuff about those hormones anyway.

I don't see how anything you wrote so far in this forum contradicts or refutes anything Gary Taubes said or wrote. If anything, your arguments about hormones support and confirm Taubes' argument that obesity is a physiological problem of excess fat accumulation.

not so fast, hormones are just an end product of our brain and nervous system or rather the hypothalamic-pituatiour-adrenal axis Hormones don't get secreted randomly and there must be some sort of control, cooridination and interaction between them which is basically HPA axis . In that sense it's the most important to understand the overall picture of what they do singularly and as a group and how they start and stop and so on . Any single mistake basically leads to complete failure.

The problem with GT is that he is misrepresenting and simplifying the picture while positioning himself as a false authority, producing many contradictions and a big confusion. He is easy to follow but not easy to understand so to speak . I understand that his motivation is purely financial and showbiz related and he got so far simply because he was one of those people promoted by the media, as in he has connections.

Last edited by Vlad416 : Thu, May-26-11 at 21:23.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 21:30

BF:

Quote:
not so fast, hormones are just an end product of our brain and nerve system or rather the hypothalamic-pituatiour-adrenal axis Hormones don't get secreted randomly and there must be some sort of control, cooridination and interaction between them which is basically HPA axis . In that sense it's the most important to understand the overall picture of what they do singularly and as a group and how they start and stop and so on . Any single mistake basically leads to complete failure.

How does any of that refute anything Taubes said? Your arguments are starting to go off tangents that don't immediately relate to the subject, i.e. non sequiturs. Maybe it's just me but I can't follow that kind of discussion. I'll be back when you're back to discussing the subject.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 21:33

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Again, that makes no sense at all. "Too important to be controlled"? What does that mean? Are you saying that since insulin is the primary regulator of fat tissue, something you agree with, that insulin is too important to even consider affecting its secretion by changing the amount of carbohydrates we eat? That's yet another moral judgment on your part that has no bearing on the nature of insulin, or our capacity to control it through various means.

Things that are important for survival can't be controlled , you know like breathing, shivering when cold or removing hand when touching fire or raising temperature when sick and everything else that is acute threat to survival is automatically taken care of before you can think about it and thus can not be controlled. You can't force yourself conciously to breathe or touch a fire or raise temperature or for that matter "control insulin" .

Last edited by Vlad416 : Thu, May-26-11 at 21:41.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 21:40

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
How does any of that refute anything Taubes said? Your arguments are starting to go off tangents that don't immediately relate to the subject, i.e. non sequiturs. Maybe it's just me but I can't follow that kind of discussion. I'll be back when you're back to discussing the subject.

Depends what you are looking for , GT says insulin is the "main regulator of fat" and he mentions pretty much nothing else throughout his entire book or two books and any interviews or what not. I would say even whatever little he says in the book is mostly wrong or outright distortion especially his hormone list. He always returns that Insulin is all that matters and supposedly to never eat carbs which activate insulin. These are his selling points and he is sticking to them .
  #70   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 21:43

BF:

Quote:
The problem with GT is that he is misrepresenting and simplifying the picture while positioning himself as a false authority, producing many contradictions and a big confusion. He is easy to follow but not easy to understand so to speak . I understand that his motivation is purely financial and showbiz related and he got so far simply because he was one of those people promoted by the media, as in he has connections.

So says you. I disagree and between your opinion and mine, I take mine any day. You made a few contradicting statements of your own that you still haven't explained properly. Your own motivation is far from being clear. However your goal is very clear: You said you "will eventually have to expose him". You also present yourself as an authority on the matter yet fail to even convince me, some guy on the internet, of anything you say.

I thought of defending Taubes against your attacks on his character, but Taubes' own works are sufficiently strong to stand on their own merit. Anyway, the only thing that your attacks serve to do is to strengthen Taubes' argument.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 21:45

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Actually, I could make the point that play and sex behavior is intimately linked to nutritional status. When we're hungry, we do not get easily turned on or enticed to have fun. In fact, there's probably an inhibitory mechanism from nutritional status on reproduction and pleasure.

they are vaguely but not directly related , one can certainly have fun and even sex when hungry and forget about it . both probably suppress hunger
  #72   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 21:46

BF:

Quote:
Things that are important for survival can't be controlled , you know like breathing, shivering when cold or removing hand when touching fire or raising temperature when sick and everything else that is acute threat to survival is automatically taken care of before you can think about it and thus can not be controlled. You can't force yourself conciously to breathe or touch a fire or raise temperature or for that matter "control insulin" .

Anybody with a brain can see that's not true. We can control our behavior. We can even control other animals' behavior like dogs and cats. We can train them to respond differently to otherwise threatening situations like loud noises or a child hitting them. Your argument that we can't control insulin for any reason just does not pass the simple bull fecal matter test.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 21:48

BF:

Quote:
they are vaguely but not directly related , one can certainly have fun and even sex when hungry and forget about it . both probably suppress hunger

You contradict yourself again. You just said that we can't control our instinctual behavior like hand in fire, etc. But now you say we can control other instinctual behavior like sex and hunger by "forgetting about it".
  #74   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 22:03

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
So says you. I disagree and between your opinion and mine, I take mine any day. You made a few contradicting statements of your own that you still haven't explained properly. Your own motivation is far from being clear. However your goal is very clear: You said you "will eventually have to expose him". You also present yourself as an authority on the matter yet fail to even convince me, some guy on the internet, of anything you say.

I thought of defending Taubes against your attacks on his character, but Taubes' own works are sufficiently strong to stand on their own merit. Anyway, the only thing that your attacks serve to do is to strengthen Taubes' argument.

and why should I convince you then if you follow the non sense of Taubes and defend him personally ? You haven't really proved me wrong then. I mean I barely read half the book when I couldn't take it any longer due to repetition and non sense.

And how can I have anything against him when I have no conflict of interest if you can believe me that much . I am not promoting anything and I didn't even buy his book to be slighted and I would feel slighted if I did pay for it.
My problem with him is that he is just a media creation selling some contradictory theory that only promotes confusion . Even more so he is treated with kid gloves even by people who have been around long enough like Jimmy Moore for example but this is just making him more protected and emboldened. This is especially incredible in today's age when we can learn and prove anything online and we don't need big libraries or some experts to tell us how things are . Anyone can prove anything and expose everyone in this setting. So it's really bad when someone can get away with so much disinformation and not be held accountable for it.
  #75   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 08:09

BF:

Quote:
I mean I barely read half the book when I couldn't take it any longer due to repetition and non sense.

Your credibility stands on that statement. What if you read a movie review which convinced you to go see it but then after you saw it you learned that the reviewer didn't stay to watch the whole movie? How credible would he be in your eyes after that? A PC/console game review, a book review, a live show review, etc. What if you learned that the author of the review that pushed you to go see, or told you to avoid the show did not stay the whole show, barely stayed through half of it? His credibility would probably suffer. Well, consider that next time you try to criticize Taubes.