Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 10:52

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad416
So let that sink for you, contrary to GT, rising insulin levels inhibit feeding.

Hi Vlad:

It seems to me that you've missed the point when you argue about whether the VMN or the arcuate nucleus is the mechanism for the change in appetite. (BTW the wikipedia article you quote doesn't cite the source of the information.) Two sentences beyond the portion you've chosen to highlight and quibble over, Taubes says this (copied and pasted from your own post):

"[I]nsulin secretion in VMH-lesioned animals increases dramatically within seconds of the surgery. The insulin response to eating also goes 'off the scale' with the very first meal. The more insulin secreted in the days after the surgery, the greater the ensuing obesity."

The point of this paragraph is that circulating levels of insulin can now be measured because of new technology, that levels of insulin rise dramatically immediately after the surgery, and that the more insulin is secreted the fatter the animal grows.

Here are a couple of abstracts of studies at the NIH site which seem to indicate that insulin increases hunger and eating:

Quote:
The paper reviews studies considering whether hyperinsulinemia, and its resultant effects on adipose tissue mass, can alter perceived hunger, taste, and food consumption. It also describes work addressing the reciprocal question of whether cues associated with food can affect insulin response. Specifically, four general categories of studies are presented. First, studies considering the causes and physiological consequences of chronic hyperinsulinemia are reviewed. Second, work investigating environmental and cognitive influences on insulin secretion are described. These show that high acute levels of insulin can be produced by simply seeing and thinking about food and that individuals showing this response show a greater tendency toward weight gain in a food-abundant environment. Third, studies are covered in which direct manipulations of insulin level, controlling for blood glucose, are performed. These experiments show that elevations in insulin produce increased hunger, heightened perceived pleasantness of sweet taste, and increased food intake. Finally, a study is described that considers how different insulin levels, produced by the type of food ingested, may affect subsequent food intake. Together, these studies show that "overeating" is caused by a complex feedback system of environmental, behavioral, and biological factors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3894001

Quote:
Rats injected subcutaneously with 5 U/kg of regular insulin increased food intake above control levels in a 2 hr test and showed a median latency to eat of 59 min. One week later, rats were injected again with saline or insulin (5 U/kg), deprived of food and killed 60 +/- 10 min later. Insulin treatment produced a marked reduction in plasma glucose, plasma ketone bodies and liver glycogen, as well as a marked acceleration of gastric emptying. The results indicate that a variety of changes in peripheral metabolism and physiology may underlie the increase in food intake observed after insulin injection and that it is premature to ascribe the hunger-inducing effect of insulin treatment solely to a decline in blood glucose.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6757987
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 10:57

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
M Levac
Here is more non sense or just plain disinfo from GT and GCBC

Would you be so kind and tell us where exactly that quote come from? Book, page number, article name, publication name, etc. Thank you.

Edit--- nvm, it's in GCBC page #391, 1st paragraph after the figure showing hormones that regulate fat tissue. I have the book you see.

Let us talk about that paragraph for a moment. Half way, we get this:
"As investigators now reported, insulin secretion in VMH-lesioned aimals increases dramatically within seconds of the surgery."

What this means is that the VMH area of the brain controls insulin secretion, and destroying parts of it will affect insulin secretion.

Continuing with my own half-assed analysis.

"The insulin response to eating also goes "off the scale" with the very first meal."

This means the VMH part of the brain controls insulin secretion, and destroying parts of it will cause insulin secretion to rise disproportionately.

"The more insulin secreted in the days after the surgery, the greater ensuing obesity."

This means obesity grows in proportion to insulin secretion.

"Obesity in these lesioned animals could be prevented by short-curcuiting the exaggerated insulin response -- by severing the vagus nerve, for example, that links the hypothalamus with the pancreas."

This means the VMH part of the brain controls insulin secretion through the vagus nerve. It further means that lowering insulin secretion will reduce obesity.

"Similarly, the hypersecretion of insulin was reported to be the earliest detectable abnormality in genetic strains of obesity-prone mice and rats."

This means more insulin means more obesity. It further means that obesity is not due to overeating, but that overeating is due to obesity.

I have to agree with Costello on all points.

Vlad, I understand that you want to disagree with Taubes on certain points but it's obvious that what he says can be interpreted differently than you do. Please consider finishing GCBC. I am willing to give you a few pointers if you want.

Last edited by M Levac : Sat, May-07-11 at 11:41.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 19:08

Plan: no grain,no dairy
Stats: 224/190/180 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress:

costello22
here is proof enough for you

this and this
Quote:
today scientists believe that two other areas of the hypothalamus - the arcuate nucleus and the paraventricular nucleus- play a larger role in the modulation of hunger.
In recent years arcuate nucleus has been singled out as especially important . This area in the hypothalamus appears to contain a group of neurons that are sensitive to incoming neuron signals and another set of neurons that respond to satiety signals

Rapid changes in the sensitivity of arcuate nucleus neurons to central ghrelin in relation to feeding status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcuate_nucleus
Quote:
Centrally-projecting neurons that contain neuropeptide Y (NPY), agouti-related protein (AGRP), and the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA. These neurons, in the most ventromedial part of the nucleus, project strongly to the lateral hypothalamus and to the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus, and are important in the regulation of appetite. When activated, these neurons can produce ravenous eating. These neurons are inhibited by leptin, insulin and peptide YY and activated by ghrelin.
Centrally-projecting neurons that contain peptide products of pro-opiomelanocortin (POMC), and cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript (CART). These neurons have widespread projections to many brain areas, including to all nuclei in the hypothalamus. These cells are important in the regulation of appetite, and, when activated, they inhibit feeding. These neurons are activated by circulating concentrations of leptin and insulin, and they are directly innervated and inhibited by the NPY neurons.[2] POMC neurons that project to the medial preoptic nucleus are also involved in the regulation of sexual behavior in both males and females. The expression of POMC is regulated by gonadal steroids. The release of a POMC product, beta-endorphin is regulated by NPY.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 19:33

BF:
Progress:

M Levac
you are doing the best job presenting GT non sense into something worth responding to.

VMH is not involved in insulin or hunger and obesity at all but another part of hypothalamus called arcuate nucleus . That was just misplaced early thinking that GT used to make some desperate point on insulin.
Quote:
VMH is also important in 'playing' behaviour seen in mammals. Lesions to VMH along with the hippocampus, amygdala, the cerebellum and the lateral hypothalamus will all reduce play behaviour.

The VMHdm has a role in the male vocalizations and scent marking behaviors.[1][2][3]

The VMHvl plays a role in sexual behaviors in females (lordosis), thus stimulating their sexual arousal.[4][5][6][7]

GT point that insulin goes through the roof is pure nonsense when you consider that insulin and few other hormones get activated by the mere sight or even thought of food when you are hungry in order to prepare yourself for the meal. This is further proof that "controlling insulin" is impossible for a good reason. Also insulin is secreted in pulsatile form which means every 5 minutes or so and it doesn't go off all at the same time for a reason to make it effective of clearing the blood
  #50   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 19:53

BF:

Vlad, the quote from the Google book is from a psychology book. Are you saying that obesity is a problem of behavior, i.e. we eat too much? Are you saying the solution is to eat less? Are you saying fat tissue is inert, i.e. a big fat garbage dump that has no say on what happens to its content?

It's very ironic that you would use hormones in an attempt to contradict anything Gary Taubes said. The biggest point Gary Taubes makes is that obesity is controlled by hormones, i.e. a physiological problem. It makes very little sense to attempt to show that obesity is a psychological problem (i.e. we eat too much) by quoting stuff that talk about hormones that control hunger. It's like you're trying to tell us that this car's mechanical problems is due to driver error by pointing out all the mechanical systems failures the car suffered.

Fat tissue is controlled by hormones. So is hunger. They are both physiological problems. In fact, our behavior is a physiological problem because the brain is made of flesh, just like the rest of our body. The brain is controlled by hormones. Muscles, organs, fat tissue, all tissues are controlled by hormones.

It's entirely possible that as we grow fatter, fat cells send a signal to the brain "eat more". That's probably how we learned about ghrelin and leptin. We probably noticed a correlation between mysterious hormones not yet identified and fat tissue mass. And wouldn't you know, there is a correlation between ghrelin, leptin and fat tissue mass. Very obese people need to be injected with massive doses of leptin compared to leaner counterparts: They are leptin resistant. Obese people probably have loads of ghrelin floating around as well since ghrelin induces hunger. But you probably know all this since you're the one quoting stuff about those hormones anyway.

I don't see how anything you wrote so far in this forum contradicts or refutes anything Gary Taubes said or wrote. If anything, your arguments about hormones support and confirm Taubes' argument that obesity is a physiological problem of excess fat accumulation.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:00

BF:

Vlad, you quoted Wikipedia about arcuate nucleus. In that quote, we can read:
Quote:
These neurons are inhibited by leptin, insulin and peptide YY and activated by ghrelin.

But now you tell us that:
Quote:
VMH is not involved in insulin or hunger and obesity at all but another part of hypothalamus called arcuate nucleus

I'm sorry Vlad, I can't follow your arguments when they contradict themselves like that. If there's anybody that's not making any sense right now, it's certainly not Taubes.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:00

BF:
Progress:

the reason why insulin got such an undeserved bad rap was probably because of the so called insulin shock therapy
Quote:
The hypoglycemia (pathologically low glucose levels) that resulted from ICT made patients extremely restless, sweaty, and liable to further convulsions and "after-shocks". In addition, patients invariably emerged from the long course of treatment "grossly obese".[7] The most severe risks of insulin coma therapy were death and brain damage, resulting from irreversible or prolonged coma respectively.[1][8] A study at the time actually claimed that many of the cases of brain damage were actually therapeutic improvement because they showed "loss of tension and hostility".[14] Mortality (death) risk estimates varied from about one percent[2] to 4.9 percent.[15]

First of all it was criminal to take insulin in one huge dose when naturally insulin is released in pulsatile form as I've shown in the other post. What happens obviously is that this lowers blood sugar too much to induce coma no less which obviously releases adrenalin and cortisol which pump the blood sugar back up by breaking all soft tissue and producing obesity as a stress response . This really says not to mess with the natural ways of the body , nothing more or less.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:04

BF:

Quote:
GT point that insulin goes through the roof is pure nonsense when you consider that insulin and few other hormones get activated by the mere sight or even thought of food when you are hungry in order to prepare yourself for the meal. This is further proof that "controlling insulin" is impossible for a good reason. Also insulin is secreted in pulsatile form which means every 5 minutes or so and it doesn't go off all at the same time for a reason to make it effective of clearing the blood

You are arguing that controlling insulin is impossible due to our ability to respond to external stimuli that can affect insulin. That makes no sense at all. If we can affect insulin with external stimuli, then this is proof that we can control insulin by controlling these external stimuli.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:06

BF:

Quote:
the reason why insulin got such an undeserved bad rap was probably because of the so called insulin shock therapy

First of all it was criminal to take insulin in one huge dose when naturally insulin is released in pulsatile form as I've shown in the other post. What happens obviously is that this lowers blood sugar too much to induce coma no less which obviously releases adrenalin and cortisol which pump the blood sugar back up by breaking all soft tissue and producing obesity as a stress response . This really says not to mess with the natural ways of the body , nothing more or less.

The reason insulin gets a bad rap is because you keep calling it "evil" and now "criminal". I never call it evil or anything like that. Nor did Taubes. I, like Taubes, merely understand its role in obesity and there's nothing moral about that.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:12

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Vlad, you quoted Wikipedia about arcuate nucleus. In that quote, we can read:

But now you tell us that:

I'm sorry Vlad, I can't follow your arguments when they contradict themselves like that. If there's anybody that's not making any sense right now, it's certainly not Taubes.

Perfect sense, one area is involved in food intake , the other area in play and sex behaviour.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:16

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
The reason insulin gets a bad rap is because you keep calling it "evil" and now "criminal". I never call it evil or anything like that. Nor did Taubes. I, like Taubes, merely understand its role in obesity and there's nothing moral about that.

Yeah right, giving people supraphysiological amounts of a hormone that would never happen naturally and that would kill them is indeed criminal . Insulin shock therapy killed many people which is the reason why it stopped I presume. If you follow Taubes though , I guess you can justify that non sense like all the rest of it
  #57   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:23

BF:

Quote:
Perfect sense, one area is involved in food intake , the other area in play and sex behaviour.

Play and sex behavior is also controlled by hormones, i.e. dopamine and endorphins and testosterone/estrogen. So what's your point?
  #58   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:24

BF:

Quote:
Yeah right, giving people supraphysiological amounts of a hormone that would never happen naturally and that would kill them is indeed criminal . Insulin shock therapy killed many people which is the reason why it stopped I presume. If you follow Taubes though , I guess you can justify that non sense like all the rest of it

Making a moral judgment by calling insulin "criminal" and "evil" has no bearing on the nature of insulin. Insulin does what it does because that's how physiology works. Insulin is amoral, i.e. it has no moral code of behavior.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:37

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
You are arguing that controlling insulin is impossible due to our ability to respond to external stimuli that can affect insulin. That makes no sense at all. If we can affect insulin with external stimuli, then this is proof that we can control insulin by controlling these external stimuli.

Insulin is secreted everytime you eat a meal and in a pulse form every 5 minutes or so . Insulin is synthesized and released from pancreatic beta cells
in response to elevations in plasma glucose concentrations,
specific amino acids (e.g. arginine), potassium and parasympathetic nervous system tone. Insulin is too important to be "controlled" and is largely automatic and can be triggered by the mere thoughts .
  #60   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 20:40

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Making a moral judgment by calling insulin "criminal" and "evil" has no bearing on the nature of insulin. Insulin does what it does because that's how physiology works. Insulin is amoral, i.e. it has no moral code of behavior.

I have called insulin shock therapy as "criminal" , don't try to put your words into my mouth or go on some random moralizing