Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 13:02

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson

Thank you, Hutchinson!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 15:17

Plan: no grain,no dairy
Stats: 224/190/180 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Maybe if you had spent less time counting instances the word insulin, and more time on actually reading the book, you would realize what an utter pile of hogwash you have just written.

It's not my fault that Taubes thinks insulin is the only hormone in the metabolism, even carbohydrate metabolism and we would all be better without it, he probably thinks diabetics have it good then . I can imagine his readers waking up from nightmares screaming about "insulin" Now I haven't really finnished the book because I got tired and bored of it and I could see that it was nonsense so i will need some extra motivation to finnish it but I will definitelly post in time all the non sense in his book . I took him seriously when he appeared on Jimmy Moore and he was soft spoken and pleasant but
clearly above his head as he appeared trained and repetitive but still I took his "insulin makes you fat" dogma . Of course he has built his reputation on vilifying sugar-carbs and insulin and even exercise but a simple evolutionary logic should tell anyone how wrong he is . It takes no time to disprove his every point and even his low carb theory has nothing to do with insulin. . It's quiet stunning that someone can be taken seriously so much when a simple internet search can disprove everything he says and most of all what he doesn't say, and that's a whole lot.

But just because he is wrong and shady doesn't mean he is not successful and followed by many people who take him uncritically. After all , Coca Cola is the biggest and most successful company in the world and they sell nothing useful and mostly harmful stuff, they just need good marketing and praise from the mainstream media. Coca Cola puts billions of dollars to marketing while Taubes puts all of his words in mainstream media and I don't know why nobody is holding that against him ?
I wasn't around during Atkins time whom he clearly copies but I really doubt that Atkins had regular columns in the mainstream newspaper and almost regular appearance on the top tv shows, even before Taubes wrote his books. Yeah, I think all that media fame and best selling books make impact on his thinking and words to say the least.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 15:32
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad416
a simple evolutionary logic should tell anyone how wrong he is .

Share with us?
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 17:15

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Gary Taubes has spent the last 10 years of his life reading and compiling research and textbooks and interviewing subject experts. To think that he could have saved himself all this trouble, just by doing a quick internet search

Last edited by Angeline : Thu, Apr-28-11 at 22:07.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 20:28

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
Share with us?

Where to start really ?
In the beginning he says he is saying something new and controversial when he is just copying Atkins who sold millions of books so how is that controversial when his main point has been around for decades if not centuries? This is especially disingenious when he gets published by NYT and goes on CNN without any scrutiny so he is part of the establishment, not an outsider as he presents himself. He says this in order to build credibility among his readers so that they would remove any self defense behind his writing.

With that said, his book is all about Insulin and somehow he gets everything wrong about it . He doesn't mention any other hormones really although in one graphic he has a list of hormones that he says are "fat burning" and "fat making" and sure enough according to him only insulin is "fat making" and bunch of other hormones are "fat burning". He says that insulin is a "fat regulator" which is ridiculous considering that insulin is known to be essential for protein and glycogen synthesis and doesn't have anything with dietary fats. It's also known that HYPOTHALAMUS is the body's ultimate regulator of hunger, satiety and metabolism among many other things and it gets satiety signal from insulin's effect on blood glucose, the same insulin GT says is a fat regulator . How can a satiety,anabolic hormone be a fat regulator ? Well GT doesn't make you think about it, he just tells you his preconceived notions. How do people get fat during insulin resistance when every cell is resistant to insulin including fat cells?
Since insulin get secreted in pulsatile form during ingestion before the food even hits digestion how can it be storing fat ?
If insulin was "fat regulator" why isn't it secreted at dietary fat?
Since insulin and cortisol are antagonistic in almost every way, isn't it conceivable that insulin rises to counter cortisol and to lower insulin resistance caused by cortisol?
If Insulin was the "fat regulator" as GT puts it and bearing in mind that insulin has systemic actions, how come fat is so often concentrated in the abdomen in males and thighs/butt with women ?
If insulin was the "fat regulator" again, how come Cushing syndrome is characterized by total insulin resistance, carb intolerance and extreme obesity?

But his biggest downfall is things he doesn't talk about which really affect the metabolism and the obesity. These are among others hypothalamus and arcuate nucleus, agouti-related protein, neuropeptide y, glucocorticoids and especially cortisol ,11beta-hsd1, corticotropin releasing hormonge, cathecholamines ,ghrelin and leptin,proopiomelanocortin ,serotonin and polyunsaturated oils. All of these have much clearer effects on weight gain, health and even the despised carbs over the most disdained insulin. He doesn't talk about the stress effect on the diet and hunger at all . He also makes no distinction between sprinting and jogging for weight loss or saturated and polyunsaturated fat

In his book and interviews, GT says insulin stores all carbs as fat and too much carbs causes insulin resistance and insulin resistance is good as it inhibits fat synthesis so you need to eat as much carbs as you can to inhibit insulin. That's not actually what he says and and he is not really sure what he says but he knows that all insulin and all carbs are bad forever and you need to shun them forever. Well I think he is confused and he is confusing already the loaded field of nutrition and health. I think he is basically a media creation and he is in it only for celebrity and money like all the rest of them that appear in the mainstream media and he is keeping it very simple and very dogmatic so that people will follow him . This is just a small taste but I will eventually have to expose him which is easy enough but labourious.

I also made a little thread about it on Jimmy Moore's website . He is in deep collusion with him but I think even Jimmy will have to wake up from it and see that there is much more to it than what GT says.
http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.c...ad.php?tid=5952

Last edited by Vlad416 : Thu, May-05-11 at 05:18.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 20:34

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Gary Taubes has spent the last 10 years of his life reading and compiling research and textbooks and interviewing subject experts. To think that he could have saved himself all this trouble, just by doing a quick internet search

If he was about science , he wouldn't be contradicting himself and keeping it all about 1 subject "insulin and carbs" which he somehow gets all wrong about anyway
  #22   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 20:54

BF:

you are one deluded dude.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 02:35
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

#24   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 05:28

BF:
Progress:

Again GT shows how clueless he is on Robb Wolf podcast this week. They ask him about leptin and other softball questions and all he does say it's all about insulin "the fat regulator" and the "fattening carbs" and any other factor and if something doesn't fit , it's not really important Just trust GT, he is an authority , after all he is mr.NYT/CNN

http://robbwolf.com/2011/05/03/the-...ion-episode-78/
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 06:14
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Where to start really ?
In the beginning he says he is saying something new and controversial when he is just copying Atkins who sold millions of books so how is that controversial when his main point has been around for decades if not centuries? This is especially disingenious when he gets published by NYT and goes on CNN without any scrutiny so he is part of the establishment, not an outsider as he presents himself. He says this in order to build credibility among his readers so that they would remove any self defense behind his writing.

With that said, his book is all about Insulin and somehow he gets everything wrong about it . He doesn't mention any other hormones really although in one graphic he has a list of hormones that he says are "fat burning" and "fat making" and sure enough according to him only insulin is "fat making" and bunch of other hormones are "fat burning". He says that insulin is a "fat regulator" which is ridiculous considering that insulin is known to be essential for protein and glycogen synthesis and doesn't have anything with dietary fats. It's also known that HYPOTHALAMUS is the body's ultimate regulator of hunger, satiety and metabolism among many other things and it gets satiety signal from insulin's effect on blood glucose, the same insulin GT says is a fat regulator . How can a satiety,anabolic hormone be a fat regulator ? Well GT doesn't make you think about it, he just tells you his preconceived notions. How do people get fat during insulin resistance when every cell is resistant to insulin including fat cells?
Since insulin get secreted in pulsatile form during ingestion before the food even hits digestion how can it be storing fat ?
If insulin was "fat regulator" why isn't it secreted at dietary fat?
Since insulin and cortisol are antagonistic in almost every way, isn't it conceivable that insulin rises to counter cortisol and to lower insulin resistance caused by cortisol?
If Insulin was the "fat regulator" as GT puts it and bearing in mind that insulin has systemic actions, how come fat is so often concentrated in the abdomen in males and thighs/butt with women ?
If insulin was the "fat regulator" again, how come Cushing syndrome is characterized by total insulin resistance, carb intolerance and extreme obesity?

But his biggest downfall is things he doesn't talk about which really affect the metabolism and the obesity. These are among others hypothalamus and arcuate nucleus, agouti-related protein, neuropeptide y, glucocorticoids and especially cortisol ,11beta-hsd1, corticotropin releasing hormonge, cathecholamines ,ghrelin and leptin,proopiomelanocortin ,serotonin and polyunsaturated oils. All of these have much clearer effects on weight gain, health and even the despised carbs over the most disdained insulin. He doesn't talk about the stress effect on the diet and hunger at all . He also makes no distinction between sprinting and jogging for weight loss or saturated and polyunsaturated fat

In his book and interviews, GT says insulin stores all carbs as fat and too much carbs causes insulin resistance and insulin resistance is good as it inhibits fat synthesis so you need to eat as much carbs as you can to inhibit insulin. That's not actually what he says and and he is not really sure what he says but he knows that all insulin and all carbs are bad forever and you need to shun them forever. Well I think he is confused and he is confusing already the loaded field of nutrition and health. I think he is basically a media creation and he is in it only for celebrity and money like all the rest of them that appear in the mainstream media and he is keeping it very simple and very dogmatic so that people will follow him . This is just a small taste but I will eventually have to expose him which is easy enough but labourious.

I also made a little thread about it on Jimmy Moore's website . He is in deep collusion with him but I think even Jimmy will have to wake up from it and see that there is much more to it than what GT says.
http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.c...ad.php?tid=5952

Come on, admit it - you're carbsane in disguise!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 09:40

BF:

That would explain a lot Lee
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 16:32

BF:
Progress:

uh, are you saying only 1 person could go against the non sense that goes for "genius" of media celebrity Gary Taubes? I think anyone with any clue should put more scrutiny where it belongs
  #28   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 17:04

BF:

No, what I am saying is that you have no credibility whatsoever, and the constant pot-shots that you are taking at GT are not doing anything to help that. You are just more one anonymous person talking trash on a forum.

GT is only one man and he set himself against the nonsense that passes for science in nutritional field, so no, the concept is far from alien.

GT books are nothing if not controversial. That has generated a ton of criticism, none of which has stuck. There are a lot of smart people in the blogosphere. People with a very well developed bullshit meter. Yet they all respect GT. So do you seriously expect us to be swayed by some anonymous poster who peppers his/her posts with ad hominem attacks.

The truth is that if this was a serious endeavour instead of some weird crusade, you'd actually be in communication with GT and engaging in a serious dialogue. The fact that you are here instead, on some forum he has never looked at tells me that you are just one more crank, like carbsense.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 17:36

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
It's not my fault that Taubes thinks insulin is the only hormone in the metabolism, even carbohydrate metabolism and we would all be better without it, he probably thinks diabetics have it good then . I can imagine his readers waking up from nightmares screaming about "insulin" Now I haven't really finnished the book because I got tired and bored of it and I could see that it was nonsense so i will need some extra motivation to finnish it but I will definitelly post in time all the non sense in his book . I took him seriously when he appeared on Jimmy Moore and he was soft spoken and pleasant but
clearly above his head as he appeared trained and repetitive but still I took his "insulin makes you fat" dogma . Of course he has built his reputation on vilifying sugar-carbs and insulin and even exercise but a simple evolutionary logic should tell anyone how wrong he is . It takes no time to disprove his every point and even his low carb theory has nothing to do with insulin. . It's quiet stunning that someone can be taken seriously so much when a simple internet search can disprove everything he says and most of all what he doesn't say, and that's a whole lot.

But just because he is wrong and shady doesn't mean he is not successful and followed by many people who take him uncritically. After all , Coca Cola is the biggest and most successful company in the world and they sell nothing useful and mostly harmful stuff, they just need good marketing and praise from the mainstream media. Coca Cola puts billions of dollars to marketing while Taubes puts all of his words in mainstream media and I don't know why nobody is holding that against him ?
I wasn't around during Atkins time whom he clearly copies but I really doubt that Atkins had regular columns in the mainstream newspaper and almost regular appearance on the top tv shows, even before Taubes wrote his books. Yeah, I think all that media fame and best selling books make impact on his thinking and words to say the least.

Surely, you exaggerate. Taubes a "scientific charlatan" and "thinks insulin is the only hormone"? By all accounts, even from those who oppose his writings, Taubes is far from a charlatan and certainly does not think insulin is the only hormone. On the contrary, he is taken more seriously than anybody in the field by everybody since the McGovern committee declared saturated fat evil.

Taubes acknowledges that he read the same scientific papers Atkins read. So maybe that's why he appears to "copy" him. In fact, he does not copy Atkins. Taubes' books are not diet books, they are scientific treatises.

You admit you haven't finished the book. Which one was it, the first GCBC or the second WWGF? The first is very hard to read. The second is much easier. Maybe you'll have better luck with that one. I didn't read the second, I only read the first. But I can tell you that you're missing a boatload of pertinent detail if you even missed a single chapter. Who knows maybe you missed the part that could have changed your mind about it.

Surely you didn't miss the 100 or so pages of references at the end of GCBC?
  #30   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 17:47

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:

I read almost everything GT wrote and nowhere have I found anything like you just paraphrased above. Could you provide a link and point out exactly where he said what you say he said? Thank you.

If you would accept advice from some guy on the internet. If you want to expose somebody, it would be smart to use the actual words this person said, and avoid making up stuff along the way. Just saying.

Last edited by M Levac : Thu, May-05-11 at 17:54.