Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-11, 04:47

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work

Could somebody please post it on Youtube?

I second this request. It appears it's syndicated so it won't be archived on a network site. His site does appear to have videos, but they aren't for full shows. I doubt if Taubes comes out looking good and Oz bad, Oz will post the video. Maybe.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-11, 06:24
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I believe that you will be able to watch it on-line. I missed the Dr. Oz show about hcg and when I googled it, I got the Dr. Oz show website and was able to watch without commercials.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-11, 07:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

My local TV listings say for Dr.Oz 3/7 no data but (First Aired: September 14, 2009) - can't be this - hmmmmm
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-11, 10:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 196/165/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfid
My local TV listings say for Dr.Oz 3/7 no data but (First Aired: September 14, 2009) - can't be this - hmmmmm

I only see Dr Oz descriptions for one week at a time (a lot of talk shows do this as I looked at a few others) I was wondering if it was moved b/c when I programmed it, the description for today was 'weird eating disorders' I was hoping that wasn't the name of the show...
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-11, 13:09
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I watched Oz yesterday, they were cutting and burning moles with lasers etc. No mention at the end of Taubes being on todays show.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-11, 16:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

It will take until about March 7 for Dr. Oz to get the editing right.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 16:33

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Is this still set for the 7th?

Also, I've seen something about Gary being on Oz's radio show, is that the appearance, rather than on TV?
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 06:26
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

As far as I know, it's still on the 7th. His appearance on the Dr Oz radio show was last week.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-11, 23:18
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

Monday March 7th:
Quote:
The Dr. Oz Show : The Man Who Thinks Everything Dr. Oz Says Is Wrong (NEW) TV-PG

A man [Taubes?] disagrees with everything Dr. Oz says.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 03:10

That makes it sound like Taubes is a random nutter off the street.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 06:29

Plan: my own! based on IBS
Stats: 164/96.5/95 Female 59 inches
BF:

It's today and it does NOT look like Oz is going to be play nice. Check this out:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/monday-dr-oz-show
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 08:23
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

#28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 09:14

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I just watched it! Everything can be seen through the website today. Parts 1, 2 and 3 are what is going to be broadcast on today's show. Then there's another segment about exercise which Dr. Oz tells his viewers can be seen on his website. I watched that too.

Overall, I liked it. While Dr. Oz did a stupid 'day on low carb' and talked about how it made his breath stink, he felt grouchy, and he got constipated (ALL from ONE DAY on low carb) was just junk science, Taubes was able to get some of his points across about how carbs make a certain part of the population fat (and sick.) Taubes was able to talk about how insulin drives fat into our cells and how carbs raise insulin.

The thing that makes me hopeful is that perhaps the people that needed to see Taubes' information got to see it, even with Dr. Oz interrupting a lot and interjecting that carbs 'cure cancer and heart disease.' (Pardon me while I wretch.) At least Taubes got to say that the CARBS where the things that caused the problems in the first place. (Bing! Score one for Taubes!) Maybe some people will go low carb from seeing the interview. Maybe some people will pick up the book and actually read it. That's a good thing.

So, I'm glad it got out there to be seen by people that otherwise wouldn't have heard what Taubes had to say. Go Taubes!!!!!!!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 09:34

I am glad it was on, but I also think that things were done in a way to try to isolate Taubes as a radical outsider with heretical beliefs that only he believed outside of fad dieters.

Not all doctors believe what Dr Oz believes, but the impression was that Gary Taubes, a person with a doctorate in science, was smart but mislead (or something). And then Oz tried to make these weird attempts at proving that he was right: the 24 hour, very excessive diet--how many low carbers actually eat the amount of food as frequently as Oz ate, wanting to test Taubes' cholesterol and almost knowingly nodding when Taubes refused. Taubes should have just explained simply that taking one person's cholesterol would neither prove or disprove a point, let alone trying to get into the validity of blood serum readings or which type were a better indicator of CVD risk.

Yeah, I am glad it was on, but I have a feeling that Oz smells a change in the air. I noticed his meals were lower carb than most "heart healthy" plans would have been a few years ago, and much of what he was trying to push as his own suggestions (minus the "whole grain" pasta and maybe slightly less fruit) would be permissible on many low carb plans, particularly after any intervention period.

Like strawberries, probably the lowest carb fruit outside of the ones we normally call vegetables (tomatoes, olives) would be totally off the menu for low carbers and would totally derail a low carb plan. And I don't think it was an act of ignorance on his part. I predict a "low glycemic" higher fat (but maybe not saturated fat) approach from Oz as time goes on.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 09:50

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I HATE THAT GUY!!!!

Sorry...that just popped out.

Oz is a tool. He may change his tune, but not until he makes it sound like it was all his research and his experiments that prove low carb is healthy.

I HATE HIM!!!!