Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 08:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351.8/323.2/235 Male 76
BF:obese!
Progress: 24%
Default Hello, I'm starting again.

Hello,

My name is Donnie. I am starting Atkins again. I did it in 2002, lost 118lbs, from 340lbs to 232lbs and felt great. I'm 6'-4" tall with a large frame, so 230ish fits me great!

In 2005, I got a physical, and my blood chemistry was horrible. I was in the best shape of my life, running 10 miles 3-4 times a week, and feeling great. My Dr. told me to stop whatever I was doing, it was going to kill me. My Uric Acid was 9.0, well above the 3.0 it was supposed to be. So that de-motivated me. But.....

It was totally my fault. I found it very easy to just eat meat and ignore vegetables. When I was hungry, a sausage, a clump of cheese, whatever was easiest. So of course my Uric Acid would be high, but I didn't know that at the time.

So, needless to say, I gave up my 3+ year way of eating and went back to binge eating and Dairy Queen Chocolate Extreme's. I call them, "Death by Chocolate". And bam, here I am again at 349lbs.

Well, I started a low calorie diet on Jan 3rd... lol, I know, its only been 2 days, but after one day, I was dizzy and starving. I asked myself, "Self, why am I starving when I KNOW low carb works"? And then I immediately got online, refreshed my Atkins/Low Carb knowledge and started Low Carbing this morning again (Jan 5th).

I am 349lbs, my first goal (before I treat myself to a Death by Chocolate) is 300lbs, then back at it until I get under 250lbs. I would be happy under 250, but my ultimate goal will be 235lbs. My plan is to be aggressive, i.e. diet AND exercise, and lose 100lbs by Sept 1, 2011. I can do this.

So, Thanks for "listening". I will take pictures and keep everyone posted. One thing I know is that support sites like this, and pictures of other's success DOES keep one motivated. I posted here years ago when I was low carbing... unfortunately, I have lost those pictures though. Anyway, thanks! And wish me luck!

Sincerely,

Donnie
Started Jan 5, 2010
349/349/235

Last edited by GypsyPoolm : Wed, Jan-05-11 at 11:40. Reason: spelling and puncuation.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 13:05

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

HI Donnie

That sounds like a good plan! We'll be here along the way to cheer you on!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 19:21

Stats: 287/256/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Donnie, good for you for getting back on the horse, and this time armed with the knowledge that will prevent you from getting that crappy news from your Dr. again.

I have to agree with you that the member support is priceless... and I say that as someone who never considered needing to share my feelings on the subject with anyone else. I've only been here since the beginning of the week and I'm feeling a lot less burdened by the whole weight loss process.

So here is to you achieving your goals, and my personal wish is for you to find a recipe for some kind of "mock death by chocolate" so you don't have to wait for 300... life is meant to be enjoyable, even when dieting! At least that's what I'm trying to convince myself lol

All the best!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 21:20

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/260/180 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Donnie

I had something similar happen...I had blood work done and my cholesterol was high...and oatmeal, etc was suggested. I foolishly decided to have a bowl each night, and then it was oatmeal cereal, and then....I was carbing.

I've read Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories" so I shoulda known that cholesterol isn't the most reliable marker for heart disease. In the back of my mind, I always recall that Dr. Atkin's died of a heart attack, and that has never fully left my mind.

Anyway, I'd love a support buddy so stop by the journal anytime.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 23:52

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Welcome, Donnie. You have discovered in quite a convincing way that Atkins is not all about the meat...he REALLY did intend for you to eat your veggies!!! Don't neglect them!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist37
In the back of my mind, I always recall that Dr. Atkin's died of a heart attack, and that has never fully left my mind.

Are you fully aware of all the circumstances surrounding Dr. Atkins' death? I would suggest you do some research on it. The truth is quite different than what the media tried to lead us to believe.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 14:08

Ok, I couldn't wait for one month. My clothes were getting looser and I'm on my last belt notch. So I just HAD to weigh. So I weighed today, and I'm down to 332.8. A bit over 16lbs lost in 2 weeks. Encouraging.

It would have been more I believe if I hadn't had two nights out drinking. Although I drank only whiskey, it still caused me cravings and bloating. So, I'm happy with my progress, but I must exercise more discipline.

I have really enjoyed reading a few peoples Journals. They are very inspiring.

Donnie

Last edited by GypsyPoolm : Wed, Jan-19-11 at 16:54.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 14:38

BF:

Why to go, Donnie!!! Looks like you're off to a wonderful start!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-11, 18:57

Stats: 287/256/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Congrats!

Reading other folks journals are a great reminder that you're not an island... we're all battling the same crap
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-11, 09:12

Hello Everyone.....

Ok, 1 Month down. Sticking to <20g of carbs (mostly). There's days I have a few beers that probably take me closer to 30-40, but for the most part, its <20g.

I also have been trying to stay under 2240 calories. Its seems I can still lose weight doing that.... but we know calories aren't really the concern here.

So, 1 month, down 25lbs exactly. Weighed in at 324.8 this morning. Earlier in the week, I was around 322, but water fluxuations, etc.... so I'll stick to the 3rd of every month, no matter what. Gives me something to work for.

Anyway, that's my update... will update again on 2/17/2011.

Happy LC'ing!

Donnie
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-11, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: Beat of my own drum
Stats: 231/225.6/200 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Awesome Donnie. I look forward to seeing your success!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-11, 10:27

Ok, Feb 17th, weight is 319.4 a good start.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-11, 12:16
Think, then Eat.

Plan: LC / L-FODMAP / L-IgG
Stats: 276.4/231.7/199 Male 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hi Donnie. Looks like you are off to a great start and know what you can do as well as what causes cravings. Keep up the great work.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-11, 13:34

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

Wowweeeeeee Donnie, you are doing GREAT!!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-11, 08:57

Wow, I just read that on Feb 17th, I was 319.4. Here it is March 11, and I didn't get a chance to log in and update my weight on March 3rd, but my weight then was 317.0. Not a big drop in the 2 weeks :-( , but the clothes are getting baggy. I've come down from a 50" jeans to 46" jeans and the 46's are baggy, but I'm not quite into a 44 yet... unless I want to cut off my circulation and show everyone what I'm made of... LOL

Anyway, lent started Wednesday, and I gave up beer and committed to exercise... so, hopefully this will help me lose the weight quicker. Also, daylight savings is Sunday, so I will get home from now on in the daylight, so I can start walking/jogging. Hard to do where I live, no street lights, out in the country... just dangerous.

Anyway, I'll post again around the 15th-17th of March. This morning was 316.8, but it won't be official until March 15th. I've been bouncing between 321 and 317 for two weeks, so hopefully this will be the woosh I'm looking for.

When someone says I look like I'm losing weight, I say, "Yeah, I'm summersizing, trying to get my bikini body back".... Always get a laugh. (Imagine a "fluffy", pasty, 300+lb man in a small bathing suit... not a pretty sight LOL). Unless you're European I suppose.

Happy LC'ing.

Donnie
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-11, 16:28

BF:

Wow! Congratulations!