Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-10, 14:09

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%
Default Aging causes decrease in ketogenesis

I don’t recall ever reading about this before:

Quote:
Whitehead Institute researchers have linked hyperactivity in the mechanistic target of rapamycin complex 1 (mTORC1) cellular pathway, to reduced ketone production, which is a well-defined physiological trait of aging in mice.

Their results are reported in the December 23 edition of the journal Nature.
……………………………………………………
One well-defined trait of aging is a decrease in ketogenesis, or the ability to produce ketones. During sleep or other times of low carbohydrate intake, the liver converts fatty acids to ketones, which are vital sources of energy during fasting, especially for the heart and brain. As animals age, their ability to produce ketones as a response to fasting declines. The cause of this phenomenon remains unknown.

I wonder what effect this has on older adults trying to lose weight on a low carb diet.

Complete article
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-10, 14:40

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

wow! that is a good question!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-10, 15:10
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I know I have a heck of a time getting into ketosis. Even limiting myself to meat and eggs barely does it. On the rare occasions when I have gotten into ketosis, it rarely lasted more than a couple of weeks.

I have read that inability to achieve ketosis is one of the problems encountered in the studies that use the Atkins diet to treat epilepsy in adults. The diet works best in those who manage to stay in ketosis, and doesn't work so well in those individuals who cannot maintain ketosis.

My understanding, though, is that ketosis is not really necessary in order to lose weight. People seem to do well on South Beach and other plans that don't stress ketosis. JMO.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-10, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Here is another version of the press release.
Mammalian aging process linked to overactive cellular pathway
Quote:
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (December 22, 2010) – Whitehead Institute researchers have linked hyperactivity in the mechanistic target of rapamycin complex 1 (mTORC1) cellular pathway, to reduced ketone production, which is a well-defined physiological trait of aging in mice.

Their results are reported in the December 23 edition of the journal Nature.

"This is the first paper that genetically shows that the mTORC1 pathway in mammals affects an aging phenotype," says Whitehead Institute Member David Sabatini. "It provides us with a molecular framework to study an aging-related process in deeper detail."

When we think of aging, sagging skin, dimmed vision, and fragile bones come to mind. But Sabatini's lab is more interested in the cellular changes that occur as organisms age. One cellular pathway, the mTORC1 pathway, is known to coordinate cell growth with nutrient availability and other growth factors. Previous research has shown that when this pathway is inhibited, a variety of animals, including worms, flies, and mice tend to live longer.

Although an increased lifespan suggests that mTORC1 is involved in aging, it fails to clarify mTORC1's precise role in the process. In fact, lifespan is a poor proxy for studying aging, as it is not always a cause of death.

One well-defined trait of aging is a decrease in ketogenesis, or the ability to produce ketones. During sleep or other times of low carbohydrate intake, the liver converts fatty acids to ketones, which are vital sources of energy during fasting, especially for the heart and brain. As animals age, their ability to produce ketones as a response to fasting declines. The cause of this phenomenon remains unknown.

To determine whether mTORC1 mediates ketogenesis in mice, Shomit Sengupta, a former graduate student in Sabatini's lab and first author on the Nature paper, studied the effects of induced hyperactivity in the mTORC1 pathway in the livers of fasting mice. He found that while most blood and liver metabolite levels did not change significantly, ketone levels fell.

After establishing that activating the mTORC1 pathway decreases ketogenesis, Sengupta tried to find exactly where mTORC1 was acting. Knowing that peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPAR-alpha) is an activator of liver ketogenesis, Sengupta attempted to jumpstart the process by stimulating PPAR-alpha. Interestingly, ketone levels failed to increase—a clear indication that that mTORC1 was thwarting PPAR-alpha.

"That now places mTORC1 as the master regulator of ketogenesis," says Sengupta, who is now a Research Fellow at Harvard Medical School. "It could be one of many inputs for PPAR alpha – that's unclear right now. But mTORC1 is sufficient and necessary to suppress PPAR-alpha and ketogenesis."

Connecting mTORC1 to the aging-related decline in ketogenesis was the next step. If mTORC1 activation is responsible for lower ketone levels caused by aging, turning on mTORC1 in older mice should not affect their already low ketone levels – it would be like trying to turn off a light switch that is already off. So Sengupta compared the ketone production of old and young mice during fasting. While turning on the mTORC1 pathway during fasting reduced ketone production in the young mice, the old mice maintained the same, low ketone levels. And when the mTORC1 pathway was turned off in very young mice that were subsequently aged, these older mice did not experience the decline in ketogenesis found in normal mice. Their ketogenesis levels were similar to younger mice, confirming that continual inhibition of the mTORC1 pathway prevented the aging-induced decline in ketone production.

It might follow that suppressing mTORC1 could slow aging, and indeed, some have suggested that the drug rapamycin, an mTOR inhibitor used to treat cancer and to prevent organ transplant rejection, might have anti-aging properties.

"Rapamycin definitely has lots of anti-aging hype," says Sabatini, who is also a professor of biology at MIT and a Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) investigator. "Having worked with that molecule a lot, I'm not sure I would take it for long periods of time, just for slowing down aging."

Instead Sabatini is focused on a host of more practical questions, including why ketogenesis is suppressed by aging and how aging serves to activate mTORC1.

"We know enough of what's upstream of mTORC1 that I think now we can test different components and ask which one is sort of acting funny in its aged state," says Sabatini.

###
This research was supported by the American Diabetes Association and Ludwig Cancer Fund, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

Written by Nicole Giese

David Sabatini's primary affiliation is with Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, where his laboratory is located and all his research is conducted. He is also a Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator and a professor of biology at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Full Citations:

"mTOR Complex 1 controls fasting-induced ketogenesis and its modulation by aging"
Nature, December 23, 2010.
Shomit Sengupta (1,2,3), Timothy R. Peterson (1,2,3), Mathieu Laplante (1,2,3), Stephanie Oh (1,2,3), and David M. Sabatini (1,2,3)

1. Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Nine Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
2. Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
3. The David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at MIT, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-10, 15:52
Registered Member

BF:

Ketonuria after Fasting may be Related to the Metabolic Superiority
Quote:
Obese individuals are less able to oxidize fat than non-obese individuals.
Caloric reduction or fasting can detect ketonuria.
We investigated the differences of metabolic parameters in the presence of ketonuria after a minimum 8 hr fast in a cross-sectional analysis of 16,523 Koreans (6,512 women and 10,011 men).
The relationship between the presence of ketonuria of all subjects and prevalence of obesity, central obesity, metabolic syndrome, and obesity-related metabolic parameters were assessed.
The ketonuria group had lower prevalence of obesity, central obesity, and metabolic syndrome than the non-ketonuria group.
In addition, all metabolic parameters (including body weight, waist circumference, blood glucose, high-density lipoprotein, triglyceride, blood pressure, and insulin) were favorable in the ketonuria group than in the non-ketonuria group, even after adjustment for age, tobacco use, and alcohol consumption.
The odds ratios of having obesity (odds ratio [OR]=1.427 in women, OR=1.582 in men, P<0.05), central obesity (OR=1.675 in women, OR=1.889 in men, P<0.05), and metabolic syndrome (OR=3.505 in women, OR=1.356 in men, P<0.05) were increased in the non-ketonuria group compared to the ketonuria group.
The presence of ketonuria after at least an 8 hr fast may be indicative of metabolic superiority.

They didn't mention that MCT oil or the MCT in coconut oil will make ketone burning easier.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Fri, Dec-24-10 at 16:13.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-10, 16:12
Registered Member

BF:

Brain fuel metabolism, aging, and Alzheimer’s disease
Quote:
Abstract
Lower brain glucose metabolism is present before the onset of clinically measurable cognitive decline in two groups of people at risk of Alzheimer’s disease---carriers of apolipoprotein E4, and in those with a maternal family history of AD.
Supported by emerging evidence from in vitro and animal studies, these reports suggest that brain hypometabolism may precede and therefore contribute to the neuropathologic cascade leading to cognitive decline in AD.
The reason brain hypometabolism develops is unclear but may include defects in brain glucose transport, disrupted glycolysis, and/or impaired mitochondrial function.
Methodologic issues presently preclude knowing with certainty whether or not aging in the absence of cognitive impairment is necessarily associated with lower brain glucose metabolism.
Nevertheless, aging appears to increase the risk of deteriorating systemic control of glucose utilization, which, in turn, may increase the risk of declining brain glucose uptake, at least in some brain regions.
A contributing role of deteriorating glucose availability to or metabolism by the brain in AD does not exclude the opposite effect, i.e., that neurodegenerative processes in AD further decrease brain glucose metabolism because of reduced synaptic functionality and hence reduced energy needs, thereby completing a vicious cycle.
Strategies to reduce the risk of AD by breaking this cycle should aim to (1) improve insulin sensitivity by improving systemic glucose utilization, or (2) bypass deteriorating brain glucose metabolism using approaches that safely induce mild, sustainable ketonemia.

this suggests that as glucose metabolism also reduces with ageing it's worth improving ketosis.
this article APOE-4: The Clue to Why Low Fat Diet and Statins may Cause Alzheimer's has a Section 11 Ketogenic Diet as Treatment for Alzheimer's that's worth a read.
I find it helps if I don't eat between meals and try to leave 5 hrs between meals, eating only twice daily makes ketosis easier. But my main weapons are coconut oil and MCT oil. Given a choice for fat soluble vitamins/supplements I prefer them to be use MCT as the carrier oil.
Dr McCleary is a good source of brain metabolism information

Last edited by Hutchinson : Fri, Dec-24-10 at 16:48.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-10, 18:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh wow! Same here, I can't turn the sticks no matter what I do. Dangit!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-10, 22:49

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I read elsewhere that insulin resistance increases with age. If that's true, then ketosis would also be affected by age. The logic is that as insulin resistance increases with age, insulin level also increases with age, and as insulin level increases, ketosis activity decreases.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-10, 22:55

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
"That now places mTORC1 as the master regulator of ketogenesis," says Sengupta, who is now a Research Fellow at Harvard Medical School. "It could be one of many inputs for PPAR alpha - that's unclear right now. But mTORC1 is sufficient and necessary to suppress PPAR-alpha and ketogenesis."

No, the master regulator of ketogenesis is insulin. When there is none, we have so much ketogenesis that we end up with ketoacidosis.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-25-10, 15:01

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I would be curious if they could tell the difference between aging versus disuse or overuse. Other health research confounds this all the time. For example, if the aging mice were fed mice cr**-in-a-bag, the loss of ability to maintain ketosis might be more about liver disuse than simple aging.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-25-10, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

#12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-25-10, 19:14

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

A ketogenic breakfast? That seems a bit short term. LOL
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-25-10, 20:45
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

Yeah, I agree it is just the short term, not the long term effect. The point of the study was to test the elderly subjects alongside the young participants and see what the differences were.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-25-10, 22:54

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/8/3441.full

Kind of a thick read.

Quote:
The livers of insulin-resistant, diabetic mice manifest selective insulin resistance, suggesting a bifurcation in the insulin signaling pathway: Insulin loses its ability to block glucose production (i.e., it fails to suppress PEPCK and other genes of gluconeogenesis), yet it retains its ability to stimulate fatty acid synthesis (i.e., continued enhancement of genes of lipogenesis). Enhanced lipogenesis is accompanied by an insulin-stimulated increase in the mRNA encoding SREBP-1c, a transcription factor that activates the entire lipogenic program. Here, we report a branch point in the insulin signaling pathway that may account for selective insulin resistance. Exposure of rat hepatocytes to insulin produced a 25-fold increase in SREBP-1c mRNA and a 95% decrease in PEPCK mRNA. Insulin-mediated changes in both mRNAs were blocked by inhibitors of PI3K and Akt, indicating that these kinases are required for both pathways. In contrast, subnanomolar concentrations of rapamycin, an inhibitor of the mTORC1 kinase, blocked insulin induction of SREBP-1c, but had no effect on insulin suppression of PEPCK. We observed a similar selective effect of rapamycin in livers of rats and mice that experienced an insulin surge in response to a fasting-refeeding protocol. A specific inhibitor of S6 kinase, a downstream target of mTORC1, did not block insulin induction of SREBP-1c, suggesting a downstream pathway distinct from S6 kinase. These results establish mTORC1 as an essential component in the insulin-regulated pathway for hepatic lipogenesis but not gluconeogenesis, and may help to resolve the paradox of selective insulin resistance in livers of diabetic rodents.

This study suggests mTORC1 as a regulator of lipogenesis, which would pretty much make it a regulator of ketosis. So, pretty much the same idea, coming at it from a different angle. If insulin's suppression of ketosis and fatty acid oxidation works through the action of mTORC1, you can see how increased mTORC1 levels with aging might decrease the ability to go into ketosis when fasting. Alternately, an increase in fasting insulin with aging might work to decrease the ability to go into ketosis by increasing mTORC1.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-11, 18:16

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I still have a question about this one. I can never turn those ketone test strips purple. If my body just can't produce ketones any more, or very few of them, would I be better off avoiding a 'very low carb' diet? Should I take my carbs no lower than the Eades' recommendation of 30 per day, or even higher? Would going VLC put too much stress on my body?