Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 16:49

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

I am pretty much convinced that most of the time it really means either "I didn't read the book", or "I didn't do what it says in the book".

There are a few it really won't work for, but they are the few.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 17:21
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam
I am pretty much convinced that most of the time it really means either "I didn't read the book", or "I didn't do what it says in the book".

There are a few it really won't work for, but they are the few.

^^^^^That
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 17:30

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

But for those few that it doesn't work for ... does anything?

I only just learned (after much research) that I absolutely had to up my carbs from induction level because a) I wasn't losing and b) it has to do with thyroid disease and the liver's production of T4. I was shocked and amazed that upping my carbs (to about 30-40 net) actually worked, but it did.

But, let's say I never figured that part out. Even without losing weight, I didn't feel like that was an excuse to quit. I have insulin resistance and I just do not believe any other WOE is healthier than LC. Honestly, even without the IR, I still don't think any other WOE is any healthier.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 18:42
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Betwwen a rock and a fat waist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDansyr
But for those few that it doesn't work for ... does anything?
If LC doesn't work I'm afraid the only other options are starvation, medications or surgery.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 19:00

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
If LC doesn't work I'm afraid the only other options are starvation, medications or surgery.

Not necessarily! Before going that route, look into intermittent fasting.
My sister has had really good results by fasting 19 hours per day and confining all of her eating into a daily 5-hour window. Broke a long-term plateau that way.

I am trying alternate day fasting during the week: dinner only one day followed by breakfast and lunch only the next. So every other day I stop eating at 2:00 p.m. and don't eat again until 5:00 the next day. When I do eat, I stick to low-carb paleo and eat to appetite. I am new at this pattern, but so far I like it and feel well.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 21:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I have to agree, although, I would say that 97% belong in the first part, and 3% really do have real physiologic reasons such as thyroid, menopause, etc.

Hey Lisa bo Lisa....I am not in disagreement with you but other than reports on this site, I have never met or met anyone who knows someone who had a genuine, bona fidey reason for Atkins not working.

And you bring up a great point, do Atkins under the counsel of your doctor. Get the blood work done to be sure one does not have any underlying issues that the WOE will mess with.

#37   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 21:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requin
I admit, I haven't read the book. So I can't really speak as to the 'Atkins didn't work for me.'

I can say this- the same diet doesn't work for everyone. Some people really do better on a diet with less animal protein than your 'typical' low carb diet. A lot of the recipes out there are meat and cheese heavy. I couldn't do my low carb diet without generous dairy intake.

If someone can't seem to find 'meals' that are lighter on the dairy/meat aspects, they often give up and say the diet didn't work for them. (I know arguably, if the followed the OWL/rungs they'd have learned that).

I think low carb can work for everyone- Atkins isn't the only low carb out there, and it *may* not work for everyone. But as the saying goes, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

But I still agree that MOST people don't try it properly.

Oh agreed! One size does not fit all! Some low carbers must watch calories and some not so much. Though I do believe if one takes in fewer calories than one burns they will lose weight. But the trick is to do it correctly and not lose muscle mass. However, some (Atkins included) are not even close to being dairy heavy....
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-10, 12:46

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Not necessarily. I got going again with vitamin D, iodine, meal timing, and meal composition. I was massively mineral deficient. Maybe you could think of minerals as medication I guess.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-10, 12:59

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Not necessarily. I got going again with vitamin D, iodine, meal timing, and meal composition. I was massively mineral deficient. Maybe you could think of minerals as medication I guess.

Yes. Medication or therapy.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-11, 06:27

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAnderso
Low carbing might work for some people, while other can be pretty insensitive to it. It all depends upon each single individual.

That's a sensible approach. However, for a low fat diet, when somebody cuts calories to any significant degree, he invariably cuts carbs too which now makes it a low carb diet as well. So then, can we honestly say that low carbing works only for some people?

And welcome to the forum.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-11, 07:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
However, for a low fat diet, when somebody cuts calories to any significant degree, he invariably cuts carbs too which now makes it a low carb diet as well. So then, can we honestly say that low carbing works only for some people?

This was the part of Good Calories, Bad Calories I found to be the most fascinating. When starting Atkins I figured with Type II diabetes on both sides of my family it was right for me; Taubes' work made me realize it was right for everyone.

Because every single indigenous culture, from the Inuit to the Maori, who started in on the refined carbohydrates got the same obesity related diseases.

And everyone who is successful may have more or less fat, or protein, but everyone cuts carbs; especially the refined carbs.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-11, 15:18

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam
Yeah, and they usually call it "Adkins"!
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-11, 18:23

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
When starting Atkins I figured with Type II diabetes on both sides of my family it was right for me; Taubes' work made me realize it was right for everyone.
WereBear I hope you meant reducing bad carbs is for everyone - Atkins is just one program and it is not for me. that kind of thinking drives me nuts, that reducing carbs equals Atkins.

rant off! sorry!
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-11, 21:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
WereBear I hope you meant reducing bad carbs is for everyone - Atkins is just one program and it is not for me. that kind of thinking drives me nuts, that reducing carbs equals Atkins.

rant off! sorry!

I just meant I started with Atkins; certainly there are different approaches.

Though most plans start differently, they often end up, maintenance-wise, in the same place?
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-11, 21:46

Plan: any
Stats: 164/135/127 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 78%

Almost everyone I know who has abandoned low-carb eating did so because a friend, family member, trainer, or medical professional scared them away.