Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 14:44
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Peggy's Chicken and Dumplings

This came out absolutely fantastic and every bit as good as any I've ever made from traditional dumpling recipes. The pic for this dish is here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/1...-and-dumplings/

Man, this tasted even better than it looks! This is truly one of my favorite comfort foods and it was just what I needed on this chilly, crisp day. Don’t know WHY I haven’t thought of using Revo Rolls for dumplings until just today! The spongy, eggy-ness of the rolls comes in quite handy for when using them for dumplings! They did not fall apart after 30 minutes of simmering in the broth!
INGREDIENTS:

1 chicken breast (large, about 8 oz.)
2 c. low-sodium chicken broth (plus water to cover chicken)
3 drops yellow food coloring
3 large stalks celery, chopped coarsely
1 chicken bouillon cube
Dash black pepper
2 Peggy’s Sandwich buns (modified Revo rolls): http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...-sandwich-buns/
¼-½ tsp. xanthan or guar gum to thicken

DIRECTIONS: Cut chicken breast in half for two servings. Place in stew pot. Cover with all remaining ingredients except Revo Rolls and xanthan gum. Bring to a boil, lower to a gentle simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Break or cut up rolls into quarter-sized “dumplings” and drop into broth. Continue to simmer for 15-20 more minutes. Do not disturb with spoon too much and the “dumpling” will not fall apart at all. Right before serving, dust xanthan gum over surface and gently stir, waiting between dustings to allow to thicken. When you get to the desired thickness for you, remove from heat and serve.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 2 servings, each contains:

350 calories
16.2 g fat
5.9 g carbs
3.5 g fiber
2.4 g NET CARBS
41.5 g protein
1500 mg sodium
47% RDA Vitamin B6, 20% B12, 26% C, 47% niacin, 52% selenium, 43% phosphorous
Sponsored Links