Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-10, 19:38

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
What I described was 'eating too much' carbs for that cycle to be like that, so your answer didn't contradict me that I can see.

Ok but are you aware of the following? That our body very rarely excrete molecules that have potential energy. It will store any excess. Be it an excess of fat, protein or carb. There are pathways for this.

Quote:
I see your point however that an innocent carb standing alone never killed anybody. It's the massive over-ingestion of them that kills. And we don't yet know what causes that, though we have some ideas.

I know that if I take so much as one teaspoon of milk into my body I am craving dairy, sugar and carbs all day, and I'm "driven" about it. Eating grain-based foods won't have quite the same effect, it's more subtle but longer term, yet the same end result. With those factors out of my diet I don't care much about food except when I'm legitimately stomach-hungry. I can barely work up to 1500 calories a day since I eat mostly meat. Yet with either let alone both of those factors in my diet, my eating is pretty much limited only by the number of hours in a day, convenience and how much money I have. Of course it's possible these things are not affecting anyone else the way they do me, and that either these items or simply the 'internal body reaction' to something in the same way, is unrelated. It's taken me many years to gradually understand and be aware enough to recognize it. But our culture has managed to make nearly every meal into something containing one or both of those components, often in quantity. Our snacks contain one or both most the time (or serious sugar). I think if people grow up ingesting all this and considering it food, it's not surprising it's a hard habit to break.

I think that the whole definition of toxic, addictive substances as 'food', and having them so permeate the entire culture, has got to have at least something to do with the problems we see.

PJ

Eating is also one of life's pleasure, no? It's normal to have pleasure eating. If foods is more and more pleasurable and more easily available than ever. Wouldn't that be enough to explain what is happening?
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-10, 19:48

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Martin, that's your definition of food. Here is what is more commonly used as a definition of food: "Food is any substance or materials eaten or drunk to provide nutritional support for the body or for pleasure."

It's not my definition, it's the dictionary definition. The definition your cited is the Wikipedia definition. I'll let you decide which has priority in this discussion. But you'll have a hard time invalidating the dictionary definition in any discussion about food. Remember, the definition is the word. So if you refuse the definition, then you aren't using the word as intended, then you aren't using the word period.

Enough with the stupid semantics.

My point stands. If you're saying that food makes us fat, sick, weak and stupid, then you are also saying that "sustains life, provides energy, and promotes growth, and pleasure" turns into "growing fat, sick, weak and stupid" when too much food is eaten. I ask again, how much food is that?

Never mind, let's just use your definition and go on from there just for kicks.

So you're saying food is "for pleasure". Then I ask you, how much pleasure makes us fat, sick, weak and stupid?

Last edited by M Levac : Sun, Oct-31-10 at 19:54.
  #93   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-10, 21:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
...Enough with the stupid semantics...
Agreed.

It's quite simple really. Humans are fully equipped to digest and absorb carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are part of what we call food.

Carbohydrates are a main part of many successful people's diet. People lean, healthy, strong and intelligent.

This is an observation Martin. Any valid hypothesis needs to explain all known observations!
  #94   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-10, 21:31
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

Quote:
Eating is also one of life's pleasure, no? It's normal to have pleasure eating. If foods is more and more pleasurable and more easily available than ever. Wouldn't that be enough to explain what is happening?

No. Clearly you have no food intolerances whatsoever. Or reading on the neuro/physiological response to certain chemicals. No other way could you possibly think it's nothing more than gluttony-hedonism explaining the modern cultural health crisis.

PJ
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-10, 22:56

BF:

Quote:
Agreed.

It's quite simple really. Humans are fully equipped to digest and absorb carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are part of what we call food.

Carbohydrates are a main part of many successful people's diet. People lean, healthy, strong and intelligent.

This is an observation Martin. Any valid hypothesis needs to explain all known observations!

You didn't answer the question. But I'll go with what you just said for kicks again.

You say carbohydrate is food, and humans are fully equipped to digest and absorb carbohydrate. Never mind that we can't digest fiber for a moment. Yet you say eating too much of this stuff makes us fat, sick, weak and stupid.

Let's recap. Food is the thing that "sustains life, provides energy, promotes growth and gives us pleasure" and now it's also something that is "easily digested and absorbed" yet it's also "the thing that makes us fat, sick, weak and stupid" when we eat too much of it. I ask you again, how much food is too much? I also want to know what food has to make it to special that it changes its nature when its quantity changes. Do you have any idea about that?
  #96   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-10, 22:58

BF:

Quote:
No. Clearly you have no food intolerances whatsoever. Or reading on the neuro/physiological response to certain chemicals. No other way could you possibly think it's nothing more than gluttony-hedonism explaining the modern cultural health crisis.

PJ

Well, if pleasure is a bad thing, then too much of it is worse. I guess that's the argument here. I will go with that for a moment but I want to know exactly how much pleasure makes us fat so I can control my own life, y'know?
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 07:24

BF:

Quote:

PJ

I was thinking of subconscious pleasure too, including "neuro/physiological response to certain chemicals" like David Kessler explains. I'm not trying to attribute the obesity epidemic to conscious gluttony alone.
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 07:39

BF:

Quote:
You didn't answer the question...
I must have missed it.

Quote:
...you say eating too much of this stuff makes us fat, sick, weak and stupid.
When and where did I ever say this?

Quote:
...I ask you again, how much food is too much?...
That is indeed a very good question for which I don't have a good answer. But I'm pretty certain that the answer is individual and contextual.

Quote:
...I also want to know what food has to make it to special that it changes its nature when its quantity changes. Do you have any idea about that?
I have no idea what you are talking about.
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 07:44

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

Dictionaries are descriptive. They merely record dominant usages of words. To say that food sustains life is to say nothing more than if you eat it, you won't starve. To say that something is food is to say or imply nothing at all about its quality, just as saying that dirty limericks are poetry says nothing about their quality either. If you eat a box of Kraft mac & cheese every day, you won't starve. Your health will probably take a hit, but starvation won't be your problem. It's food.

To say that something is food is not to say or imply that it can be eaten in any amount, or eaten exclusively, without any ill effects, ever. Moreover, the words "protein", "carbohydrate", and "fat" do not, in normal usage, refer to foods. They are scientific words that refer to components of foods. Foods are things like pot roast, liver and onions, cucumbers, boiled eggs, and so on. Foods have protein, carbohydrate and fat, in varying amounts. To say that food consists of protein and fat, but not carbohydrate, is simply wrong.

Semantic revisionism does nothing for the credibility of the lowcarb diet. Insisting that carrots or onions are not food only confirms the stereotype that lowcarb is a cultish fad diet. Moreover, it's pointless to pretend that everybody who eats carbs, in any amount, becomes obese, diabetic, or sicker than people who don't.

Ubizmo
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 08:00

BF:

Quote:
I was thinking of subconscious pleasure too, including "neuro/physiological response to certain chemicals" like David Kessler explains. I'm not trying to attribute the obesity epidemic to conscious gluttony alone.

Oh now you say there's subconscious pleasure? You mean I could have fun right now and not know about it? Well that's rich. But seriously, pleasure is always physiological, even if you believe otherwise. Say, aren't you using a brain made of flesh to think these thoughts? See? Always physiological.

Wait, you're saying you believe there's unconscious gluttony? But Taubes said that. He said "overeating is the effect of hormones". It means "overeating is unconscious". It further means "overeating is not controlled by free will". You'll have to explain how overeating is a cause one second but the next becomes an effect. Should I expect an answer this time or are you just going to call this one a dead track too?
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 08:06

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

It's such a shame to see that not everyone can carry on a civilized debate. Geez.
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 08:11

BF:

Quote:
I must have missed it.

When and where did I ever say this?

That is indeed a very good question for which I don't have a good answer. But I'm pretty certain that the answer is individual and contextual.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Stop play games Patrick. The only questions you missed were those you intended to miss.

Post 93, your words:
Quote:
Agreed.

You posted this in reply to my post #92 but you quoted only this line:
Quote:
...Enough with the stupid semantics...

You "missed" the text before and after that line. Would you like me to continue with this little expose about the questions you "missed"?

Don't you want to validate your ideas Patrick? If what you're saying has any value, it will stand the questions. If you don't want to answer the questions, then maybe you don't want to test these ideas anyway.
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 08:22

BF:

Quote:
Oh now you say there's subconscious pleasure? You mean I could have fun right now and not know about it? Well that's rich. But seriously, pleasure is always physiological, even if you believe otherwise. Say, aren't you using a brain made of flesh to think these thoughts? See? Always physiological.

Wait, you're saying you believe there's unconscious gluttony? But Taubes said that. He said "overeating is the effect of hormones". It means "overeating is unconscious". It further means "overeating is not controlled by free will". You'll have to explain how overeating is a cause one second but the next becomes an effect. Should I expect an answer this time or are you just going to call this one a dead track too?

Just to be clear.

I believe our brain can only create a model of reality and cannot experience reality itself. I believe that freewill is an illusion. I believe that human consciousness is just an effect, it's an emerging property of our brain. We are only programs. But since we are intelligent programs, we can reprogram ourselves.

Those are only beliefs and like any other human beings, my take on things are influenced by them.

So you can all take this info into account when you read stuff written by me. Things like gluttony should be understood within this context.

Last edited by Valtor : Mon, Nov-01-10 at 08:31. Reason: spelling
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 08:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
Dictionaries are descriptive. They merely record dominant usages of words. To say that food sustains life is to say nothing more than if you eat it, you won't starve. To say that something is food is to say or imply nothing at all about its quality, just as saying that dirty limericks are poetry says nothing about their quality either. If you eat a box of Kraft mac & cheese every day, you won't starve. Your health will probably take a hit, but starvation won't be your problem. It's food.

To say that something is food is not to say or imply that it can be eaten in any amount, or eaten exclusively, without any ill effects, ever. Moreover, the words "protein", "carbohydrate", and "fat" do not, in normal usage, refer to foods. They are scientific words that refer to components of foods. Foods are things like pot roast, liver and onions, cucumbers, boiled eggs, and so on. Foods have protein, carbohydrate and fat, in varying amounts. To say that food consists of protein and fat, but not carbohydrate, is simply wrong.

Semantic revisionism does nothing for the credibility of the lowcarb diet. Insisting that carrots or onions are not food only confirms the stereotype that lowcarb is a cultish fad diet. Moreover, it's pointless to pretend that everybody who eats carbs, in any amount, becomes obese, diabetic, or sicker than people who don't.

Ubizmo

Well, we could ask the dictionary what the word "dictionary" means considering that somebody might disagree with your definition of the word "dictionary" just now.

The quality that defines food is not in its structure but in its action. If it sustains life, provides energy, and promotes growth, then it's food. It it does not, then it's not. It's that simple. Furthermore, it's like this because the structure of food for different species is different yet its action is the same. In all species, regardless of its structure, food sustains life, provides energy, and promotes growth.

Nobody said everybody who eats carbs grows fat. So I agree with you that it's pointless to argue that. But maybe you wanted to imply that somebody in the low carb community did say that?

Semantic revision is not useless since you gave me the opportunity to clarify my view of food. Thanks for that.
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 08:30

BF:

Quote:
Stop play games Patrick. The only questions you missed were those you intended to miss.

Post 93, your words:

You posted this in reply to my post #92 but you quoted only this line:

You "missed" the text before and after that line. Would you like me to continue with this little expose about the questions you "missed"?

Don't you want to validate your ideas Patrick? If what you're saying has any value, it will stand the questions. If you don't want to answer the questions, then maybe you don't want to test these ideas anyway.

You are of course entitled to not believe me. I can quote sentences that captured my attention, while easily forgetting about the rest of the text.

I'll let readers decide if any of what I'm saying has any value for them.

These ad hominems of yours are getting tiresome. This will be the last time I respond to them. I will continue to reply to your arguments though.