Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-10, 15:53

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

A heads up on the Krieger thing. I'm posting this here because Krieger didn't allow it on his blog after shoving me off. It's clear he won't ever engage in a discussion with me. I would not be surprised to learn that I'm not the only one who's been shoved off like this.

I wrote:
Quote:
You said what you said, James. What you said means what it means. Look who's accusing who of arguing like a politician.

I have to agree with you on that last bit. You too are too entrenched in your position to ever consider getting out of it by any means, even reason. And, like you pointed out, it's not the first time I exposed the irrational behavior of internet gurus. One even banned my IP from his blog, as if doing so will validate his arguments. He was all like "you're banned" and I was all like "but how can I read that last bit if I'm banned". That was hilarious, I have to admit.

You on the other hand, didn't yet go that far. You went as far as calling straw man, irrelevant and out of context, as far as not wanting to discuss with me anymore. But I trust that at some point you'll just go all out and call the cops on me or something. You are that entrenched but you will never know it until you call the cops on me. At which point, you will realize how irrational your behavior has become. Not my fault though, I merely pointed out what you said, I didn't say it myself.

Don't blame me for your actions. Finally, like you said to me, I now say to you:

"Your decision to leave is yours and yours alone"

Carry on.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-10, 16:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
I'll start with a proper definition of the energy balance equation observed and tested in humans.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2764961/

Agreed. Yet it tells us nothing about cause and effect. We'll get to that though. Go on.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-10, 19:35

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Actually, I believe that the very act of eating food will make this activity monotonous. I believe the monotony is an effect, not a cause. Just like I believe overeating is an effect, not a cause. Yet at the same time, I believe that the act of eating when hungry will make this activity a most pleasurable experience. Until we are sated at least.

I believe that only food can satiate. Thus, if we eat something that does not satiate, it's not food. I also believe that there are substances that are obviously not food, like drugs for example, that cause us to overeat. Bodybuilders for example use a drug called equipoise to make them overeat like there's no tomorrow during a bulking phase. Here it's obvious that overeating is an effect yet paradoxically the same group of people believe that overeating causes obesity. In fact, that's the very reason they use this drug: The drug makes them overeat, this overeating makes them grow bigger. Not for one second did they ever consider that the drug could make them overeat by creating a caloric deficit internally.

I believe that our behavior is dictated by our cells, rather by the collectivity of all our cells. I believe that cells will open and close receptors according to food status in a negative feedback loop fashion. Like this, when there's enough food, receptors are open or the signal is present, eating stops. When there's not enough food, the receptors are closed or the signal is absent, eating continues. The point is that our behavior is an effect, not a cause.

If we can modify the behavior of this receptor or signal, then we can affect eating behavior without actually changing the amount of food. Indeed, a similar concept is the basis for drugs like sibutramine. Sibutramine is said to reduce pleasure from eating. If satiety is the reduction of pleasure from eating, then reducing pleasure from eating directly through sibutramine would simulate satiety and we should stop eating. Never mind that before we cease to obtain pleasure from our food, we obtain a boatload of pleasure in response to the hunger which drives this pleasure in the first place. It's obvious from my point of view that something in what we eat causes the receptors to fail or ultimately the signal to fail thus causes eating to continue without regard for internal food status. Some talk about leptin, others talk about ghrelin. I'm just talking about the generic concept of food, hunger and satiety.

Thank you for the clarification.

Now then, what should we make of people living their entire lives on rice and a bit of fish meat without obesity? Are they hungry all the time because they live on a high-carb diet? And they just tough it out because they have no choice?

OR

If they are not hungry all the time and fine with their diet it means that they are eating food, but then would you say it is food for them but maybe not for you?
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-10, 19:47

BF:

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification.

Now then, what should we make of people living their entire lives on rice and a bit of fish meat without obesity? Are they hungry all the time because they live on a high-carb diet? And they just tough it out because they have no choice?

OR

If they are not hungry all the time and fine with their diet it means that they are eating food, but then would you say it is food for them but maybe not for you?

I don't know. Maybe they're not fat because they've been starved their whole life since conception. Yet when we take this same population and switch their diet to ours, they grow just as fat just as quickly. Is it because they now eat more or is it because their previous diet was more nutritious than their new diet, as ours is now that we cut out the boatload of carbs we used to eat?

I don't know whether they are hungry all the time or not. Maybe they are, who knows. However, once they switch to our conventional diet, the same one that made us fat, they grow just as fat. Maybe they eat more, if they do, then maybe it's because they grow more hungry. Come to think of it, maybe that's why we eat more. Then when we cut out carbs, we end up eating less. Maybe we eat less because we're less hungry. Maybe we're less hungry because our diet is now more nutritious.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-10, 06:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I don't know. Maybe they're not fat because they've been starved their whole life since conception. Yet when we take this same population and switch their diet to ours, they grow just as fat just as quickly. Is it because they now eat more or is it because their previous diet was more nutritious than their new diet, as ours is now that we cut out the boatload of carbs we used to eat?

I don't know whether they are hungry all the time or not. Maybe they are, who knows. However, once they switch to our conventional diet, the same one that made us fat, they grow just as fat. Maybe they eat more, if they do, then maybe it's because they grow more hungry. Come to think of it, maybe that's why we eat more. Then when we cut out carbs, we end up eating less. Maybe we eat less because we're less hungry. Maybe we're less hungry because our diet is now more nutritious.

I try to understand how our body works and then apply what I learned to nutrition and how it affects us. There are some truths to what you are saying, but I believe in the scientific method and this means I have to take into account the weight of the literature.

On this quest of mine, I discovered where Taubes went wrong on his analysis of the research. There are pathways that our body uses to store fatty acids even if your insulin does not spike. It is a sort of defense mechanism, the fatty acids can be deleterious if there are too much in the blood and so our fat cells can take up the excess. Just like it does with glucose.

Now, the question of what is food IMHO should be more what is the most efficient food. The scientific community agrees that carbs are not essential for humans, but there is also good evidence that it is required for some types of high performance exercise.

Also, it is known that a ketogenic diet helps in repairing your mitochondria. But what has also been shown is that staying on a ketogenic diet for too long also has deleterious effects on metabolism.

I don't know about you, but I see a dilemma here. That is why I now take the road of moderation in all things.
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-10, 10:13

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

Quote:

No, because many do have a choice, but still eat this way and do not become obese. There are many first-generation Asian-Americans who live here, where they can easily obtain huge amounts of rice, fish, and everything else, who still eat mostly rice and vegetables and a little fish or pork, and who do not become obese.

Even in the US, there have been plenty of carbohydrates available to everybody for much longer than the current epidemic of obesity. I just don't think a case can be made that the rise in obesity of the past 40 years is due to increased availability of carbs.

My guess is that the underlying phenomenon is hepatic insulin resistance initially caused by consumption of fructose and PUFA. Once this occurs, the ability to tolerate all carbs is severely compromised. Leptin resistance is probably also a factor, also caused by fructose overload, if Dr. Lustig is to be believed.

If fructose and PUFA cause a condition which can only be controlled by sharply restricting all carbs, it's easy to see why all carbs would be thought to be the cause in the first place.

Ubizmo
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-10, 10:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
No, because many do have a choice, but still eat this way and do not become obese. There are many first-generation Asian-Americans who live here, where they can easily obtain huge amounts of rice, fish, and everything else, who still eat mostly rice and vegetables and a little fish or pork, and who do not become obese.

Even in the US, there have been plenty of carbohydrates available to everybody for much longer than the current epidemic of obesity. I just don't think a case can be made that the rise in obesity of the past 40 years is due to increased availability of carbs.

My guess is that the underlying phenomenon is hepatic insulin resistance initially caused by consumption of fructose and PUFA. Once this occurs, the ability to tolerate all carbs is severely compromised. Leptin resistance is probably also a factor, also caused by fructose overload, if Dr. Lustig is to be believed.

If fructose and PUFA cause a condition which can only be controlled by sharply restricting all carbs, it's easy to see why all carbs would be thought to be the cause in the first place.

Ubizmo

Actually, I prefer the hypothesis shown in this paper here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20223680

In the full text it shows good evidence that an excess of any food results in insulin resistance. And then once insulin resistance sets in, you are in trouble even if you start reducing your intake of food. It then takes more than just less calories to fix the problem (if it's fixable).
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-10, 11:30

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Actually, I prefer the hypothesis shown in this paper here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20223680

In the full text it shows good evidence that an excess of any food results in insulin resistance. And then once insulin resistance sets in, you are in trouble even if you start reducing your intake of food. It then takes more than just less calories to fix the problem (if it's fixable).

That's reasonable, but doesn't explain the chronic excess food intake in the first place, does it? Why the surge in overconsumption in general?

The fructose hypothesis contributes a reasonable explanation: leptin resistance. click That there has been an increase in fructose consumption at the same time as the increase in obesity rates seems pretty well documented.

The fructose hypothesis thus acts as a unifying hypothesis, since high fructose ingestion causes leptin resistance, uncoupling satiety from actual energy requirements, and also causing hepatic insulin resistance on its own. The consumption of more and more of all kinds of food, initially caused by leptin resistance, accelerates the process.

As to whether it's fixable...I'd say that the literature indicates that while lowcarb and other diets are shown to have similar weight loss results over the long term, the lowcarb diets have better fat loss results.

I don't see any reason why anybody should insist that insulin is the only player in obesity. I do think, however, that we have enough evidence to indicate that it's one of the main players. That said, we can't ignore the fact that not everyone with type 2 diabetes, and consequent elevated insulin, becomes obese. And not everyone who consumes lots of carbohydrates develops type 2 diabetes. My grandmother, a vegetarian for the last 50 or so years of her life, ate rice and beans every day, along with some other vegetables, until she died at age 93, no heavier than she was at 23, by all accounts, and not diabetic either.

She never had many sweets in the house, however. She was "old school"; she only bought or made that sort of thing on special holidays.

Ubizmo
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-10, 11:41

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

The fructose hypothesis is getting stronger every day, and as Ubizmo says, it actually supports the conclusions in the Gluttony and sloth paper. Insulin resistance in the liver also turns the liver into a super glucose factory, which explains high blood sugar and insulin spikes better than the carbohydrate hypothesis IMO. I've just found this other article via Paleohacks:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...25/?tool=pubmed
I'm having a good time reading it.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-10, 12:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I hope it can be fixed, but I'm giving up hope. Even on very low carb my insulin levels are too high, blood sugar too high (although not considered diabetic, unless I eat carbs).
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-10, 13:58

BF:

The fructose hypothesis is merely an extension of the carbohydrate hypothesis. Taubes says HFCS isn't so different from sucrose. But where the real difference lies is in the amount of HFCS we consume now compared to the amount of sucrose we used to consume then. Why do we consume more HFCS, and more carbohydrate in total? Because HFCS is used a thickening agent where fat was taken out. Sucrose doesn't have this ability. So, all the things we used to eat that contained lots of fat, now contain less fat but more sugar in the form of HFCS. Yet considering that HFCS acts like sucrose metabolically, it's just like we were eating more sucrose. We already know how toxic sucrose is. What we see is just an extreme of its toxicity.

In Canada, they say to eat at least 300g of carbohydrate per day. They also say you can eat all of this in the form of sugars. Yeah, this ain't about fructose.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-10, 14:33
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball
The fructose hypothesis is getting stronger every day, and as Ubizmo says, it actually supports the conclusions in the Gluttony and sloth paper. Insulin resistance in the liver also turns the liver into a super glucose factory, which explains high blood sugar and insulin spikes better than the carbohydrate hypothesis IMO. I've just found this other article via Paleohacks:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...25/?tool=pubmed
I'm having a good time reading it.

Wow, that paper was really good. I'm going to start taking some Vit. C and see if it helps my IR.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-10, 14:51

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Wow, that paper was really good. I'm going to start taking some Vit. C and see if it helps my IR.

We had the same idea, though I'm still not sure I'm going to do it.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-10, 15:07
Experimenter

BF:

I looked up some studies on Vit. C and IR or diabetes, they sounded promising but they were using injections of Vit. C.
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Oct-30-10, 08:02

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Also, it is known that a ketogenic diet helps in repairing your mitochondria. But what has also been shown is that staying on a ketogenic diet for too long also has deleterious effects on metabolism.

I don't know about you, but I see a dilemma here. That is why I now take the road of moderation in all things.

Valtor - do you have any links to studies showing the effects of long term ketogenic diets and metabolic decline? I would love to take a look!

Thanks!

wyatt