Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 13:24

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
The keyword here is "runaway". In the sense that the absence of insulin has an effect too great for the other pathways (that stores fat other than insulin) to prevent the outcome.

You are interpreting what he is saying with your premise that there are camps.

I will add to this that I know one pathway which stores fat by boosting insulin's effect on fat cells. Which means that even at baseline insulin levels, an excess of energy could be stored. Of course, without insulin this pathway does not work. Hence why type 1 diabetics is not a good model, because non type 1 does have insulin in their blood.

So if you can get fatter without chronically high insulin levels, that pretty much disprove Taubes' carbohydrate hypothesis.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 13:33

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
The keyword here is "runaway". In the sense that the absence of insulin has an effect too great for the other pathways (that stores fat other than insulin) to prevent the outcome.

You are interpreting what he is saying with your premise that there are camps.

The key word here is cause and effect. The removal of insulin is the cause. The caloric deficit is the effect.

I don't understand what you mean by "there are no camps". You'll have to explain to me in detail because I don't see how it fits with all this. Is there another discussion about fat accumulation that doesn't talk about insulin, carbohydrate or calories? If so, please tell me because I'm seriously confused about that bit.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 13:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
If that is so, then why does he use type 1 diabetics data to support his own claims regarding obesity in non type 1 diabetics?

Simple. From what I can read in the comments section, you two are attributing different meanings to the same words. In other words, you are not talking the same language.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 13:34

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Valtor how do you understand Taubes' carbohydrate hypothesis?

Quote:
if you can get fatter without chronically high insulin levels, that pretty much disprove Taubes' carbohydrate hypothesis
I would have thought the hypothesis says insulin drives fat storage, whether or not insulin is chronically high. The crux is the hormonal milieu - whether fat is being stored or being released from storage - both of which are mediated by insulin.

The level of insulin at which fat is locked into storage is pretty low.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 13:53

BF:

Quote:
Simple. From what I can read in the comments section, you two are attributing different meanings to the same words. In other words, you are not talking the same language.

Now you'll really have to point out exactly which word each of us are using and what meaning we are attributing to that word. As far as I can see, he's using type 1 diabetics data to support his claims about satiety. I'm using the very same type 1 diabetics data to support my claim about fat accumulation. Indeed, even Krieger himself acknowledges everything I say about type 1 diabetics regarding emaciation and caloric deficit. Yet even then he refuses to acknowledge that this particular aspect of type 1 diabetics appear to refute his claims regarding obesity and overeating. Indeed, this is what he says about that:
Quote:
Another problem with your thought process is that you are trying to take one condition (the effects of the complete absence of a hormone versus its presence), and are extrapolating that to a different condition (the effects of variation of a hormone within physiological levels). This is an erroneous extrapolation.

If you haven't noticed yet, he himself is using one condition (type 1 diabetics and hyperphagia) and extrapolating that to a different condition (normal fat metabolism and satiety). How can he propose that it's fine if he does it but not when I do it?

Patrick, you know better than this. If you truly see a logical error or a semantic error or any kind of error, then you will point it out explicitly so we can all see what you mean and bring about the appropriate corrections. You wouldn't just claim it's there but then fail to point it out. Oh well I know it's wrong so there must a reason, but I just can't put my finger on it yet. Well you know what we call that, Patrick. Pulling at straws.

I know exactly how Krieger is wrong and I point it out repeatedly in detail.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 13:55

BF:

Quote:
The key word here is cause and effect. The removal of insulin is the cause. The caloric deficit is the effect.

Removal of insulin does not automatically result in a calorie deficit. The food that an uncontrolled type 1 eats may not be stored in fat cells, but these molecules (calories) are still in the body. An excess can have nefarious effects, since fat cells can't protect you anymore. The body tries to eliminate the excess the best it can. But ultimately, without insulin to help ferry proteins into your cells, you waste away.

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by "there are no camps". You'll have to explain to me in detail because I don't see how it fits with all this. Is there another discussion about fat accumulation that doesn't talk about insulin, carbohydrate or calories? If so, please tell me because I'm seriously confused about that bit.

It's not just about "insulin, carbohydrate or calories", it's about how the human body functions. So discussions about obesity must include the whole picture.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 13:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Valtor how do you understand Taubes' carbohydrate hypothesis?...

You can see how I understood it from my journal entry here.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...309&postcount=1
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 14:10

BF:

Quote:
Removal of insulin does not automatically result in a calorie deficit. The food that an uncontrolled type 1 eats may not be stored in fat cells, but these molecules (calories) are still in the body. An excess can have nefarious effects, since fat cells can't protect you anymore. The body tries to eliminate the excess the best it can. But ultimately, without insulin to help ferry proteins into your cells, you waste away.

It's not just about "insulin, carbohydrate or calories", it's about how the human body functions. So discussions about obesity must include the whole picture.

No here's how it works. The removal of insulin causes emaciation. There is no question about this fact. Emaciation is the result of a caloric deficit. There is no question about this fact either. Krieger himself agrees with this assessment. His own words:
Quote:
The caloric deficit due to the removal of insulin

The carbohydrate hypothesis is precisely about how the body works. Insulin is one of many hormones and the carbohydrate hypothesis explicitly acknowledges that there is more to it than just insulin. Indeed, the hypothesis acknowledges that there are a multitude of hormones all working in concert to regulate fat tissue, insulin merely being the primary hormone.

The opposing hypothesis says insulin is irrelevant (Krieger's own words here: Insulin is not required for fat storage), as well as every other biological mechanism we know of, and that obesity is all about calories. So when Krieger argues against insulin's own functions by using insulin's own functions (and pretty much every other biological mechanism he can think of), he unwittingly argues in favor of the carbohydrate hypothesis in spite of his claims to the contrary. Indeed, that's precisely what I've been pointing out this whole time with that bit about type 1 diabetics.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 14:26

BF:

Another example of Krieger using one condition and extrapolating that to other conditions:
Quote:
A type I diabetic without insulin becomes hyperglycemic because of overproduction of glucose by the liver, not because insulin can’t get into cells

He's using one set of data and extrapolating it to prove a different set of data. It's fine when he does but when somebody else does it, this is what he says about it:
Quote:
Another problem with your thought process is that you are trying to take one condition (the effects of the complete absence of a hormone versus its presence), and are extrapolating that to a different condition (the effects of variation of a hormone within physiological levels). This is an erroneous extrapolation.

How many times do I have to point it out before you grok?
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 15:12

BF:

Quote:
No here's how it works. The removal of insulin causes emaciation. There is no question about this fact. Emaciation is the result of a caloric deficit. There is no question about this fact either. Krieger himself agrees with this assessment. His own words:

"The caloric deficit due to the removal of insulin is due to the massive excretion of glucose and ketones in the urine"

Martin, we are saying the same thing.

Like I said, your body will try to remove the extra molecules by other means since it can't shuttle them in fat cells. And since you can't keep energy in stores, you will end up in a deficit. If an uncontrolled type 1 could manage to eat enough food non stop to prevent a deficit, he would still not get fat but would probably die quickly from the buildup in his bloodstream that would exceed his body's capacity of removing it.

Quote:
The carbohydrate hypothesis is precisely about how the body works. Insulin is one of many hormones and the carbohydrate hypothesis explicitly acknowledges that there is more to it than just insulin. Indeed, the hypothesis acknowledges that there are a multitude of hormones all working in concert to regulate fat tissue, insulin merely being the primary hormone.

The opposing hypothesis says insulin is irrelevant (Krieger's own words here: Insulin is not required for fat storage), as well as every other biological mechanism we know of, and that obesity is all about calories. So when Krieger argues against insulin's own functions by using insulin's own functions (and pretty much every other biological mechanism he can think of), he unwittingly argues in favor of the carbohydrate hypothesis in spite of his claims to the contrary. Indeed, that's precisely what I've been pointing out this whole time with that bit about type 1 diabetics.

It comes down to this.
"...you are trying to take one condition (the effects of the complete absence of a hormone versus its presence), and are extrapolating that to a different condition (the effects of variation of a hormone within physiological levels). This is an erroneous extrapolation."

How do you think the following affects the carbs hypothesis? That an hormone is able, under a state of excess available energy, to boost insulin's effect on fat retention within fat cells.

EDIT: I just read your other post... #39
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 16:15

BF:

Quote:
Another example of Krieger using one condition and extrapolating that to other conditions:

He's using one set of data and extrapolating it to prove a different set of data. It's fine when he does but when somebody else does it, this is what he says about it:

How many times do I have to point it out before you grok?

Look, why don't we start our own discussion. I'll start with a question. Do you believe we can grow fat by eating fat exclusively?
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 18:40

BF:

Quote:
Look, why don't we start our own discussion. I'll start with a question. Do you believe we can grow fat by eating fat exclusively?

No, I don't.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-10, 09:47

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
You can see how I understood it from my journal entry here.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...309&postcount=1
Ah, thanks. I can see we do not agree on the basics (the thermodynamics). I think that model from physics is not a good one to use for human metabolism (the laws of thermodynamics are apply to closed systems and human metabolism isn't one of those). I am more impressed with the model outlined by John Berardi in his article "A New View of Energy Balance."

So, thanks for the clarification anyway.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-10, 12:05

BF:

Krieger told us that the removal of insulin (stop injections, no more insulin in the blood) causes hyperphagia. What he really told us is that the removal of insulin in the cells causes hyperphagia.

High insulin resistance is a feature of obesity. By causing an increase in insulin resistance, we cause a decrease in the amount of insulin that enters the cells. If the insulin production in the pancreas remains the same this will cause insulin in the blood to rise. Chronic hyperinsulinemia is also a feature of obesity.

If insulin resistance becomes so great that no insulin enters the cells, then the effect in the cells is equivalent to removing insulin in the blood. If it can't get in, it might as well not be there. If hyperphagia is a consequence of the absence of insulin in the cells, then extreme insulin resistance should also cause hyperphagia to the same degree.

Krieger says there is no linearity to insulin. Sometimes it's high but we still lose weight, sometimes it's low but we can't lose weight. The answer to this non-linearity is insulin resistance. Since the number of insulin receptors determine exactly how much insulin gets in, and since how much insulin in the cells determine what happens in the cells, then varying insulin resistance can both affect insulin in the blood and what happens in the cells. We can see how insulin in the blood can rise yet insulin in the cells can drop and this could reverse linearity such that our prediction based solely on insulin in the blood would be false.

If we want an accurate prediction model, we can't just look at insulin in the blood, we must also look at insulin resistance. Krieger only looks at insulin in the blood. Pfft, sometimes he doesn't even look at insulin in the blood like this last study he cited. The point is that Krieger is wrong because he does not have all the facts. And since he does not have all the facts, when we point out the errors he makes, he can't understand what he sees.

But don't let that deter you from believing him though.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-10, 13:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Ah, thanks. I can see we do not agree on the basics (the thermodynamics). I think that model from physics is not a good one to use for human metabolism (the laws of thermodynamics are apply to closed systems and human metabolism isn't one of those). I am more impressed with the model outlined by John Berardi in his article "A New View of Energy Balance."

So, thanks for the clarification anyway.

By the way, here is how I apply thermodynamics to humans nowadays.

The Energy Balance Equation
Quote:
The energy balance equation properly stated.

Energy In (corrected for digestion) = (BMR/RMR + TEF + TEA + SPA/NEAT) + Change in Body Stores

Even that’s not complete and there are other things that can go on the energy out side of it, various inefficiencies in biochemical pathways (that basically waste calories through heat) and such things. I’d note that most of these don’t appear to contribute terribly significantly to the energy out side of things but they are worth noting since they modify the overall equation.

I’d also note that people often make comments about the above equation which shows just how utterly clueless they are about it. For example, people will point out that replacing carbs with protein leads to greater weight loss although they have the same calories; ergo the equation is wrong. What they fail to realize is that protein has a higher thermogenic effect and this modifies the TEF value of the equation; the energy OUT side of the equation changes if you replace carbs with protein. But they seem to try to treat the sides of the equation independently in this case; which is wrong.

Now, even with the above, a commonly made argument that the energy balance equation is wrong is that, invariably, changes in either intake or expenditure don’t seem to scale with predicted or expected changes in body mass. That is, armed with the above, if you know intake and output, you should be able to know exactly how much body mass will change, right?

Put differently, it’s commonly stated that if you reduce food intake by 500 calories/day you will lose one pound per week. Yet when people do that very thing, this never happens in the real world. Or if you add 500 calories/day of food, you should gain a pound, and that pretty much never happens either in the real world.

Hence the equation is invalid, right? Wrong.

There are three different reasons why the expectations of most people in terms of changes in the energy balance are incorrect and, again, it’s based on their own simplistic understanding of what’s going on. Those three reasons are

1. Water balance
2. Muscle and fat are not identical
3. The fact that the energy balance equation is not static

... Click the link for more info. It's a good read.

Last edited by Valtor : Wed, Oct-27-10 at 13:48.