Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 05:41

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%
Default Thoughts on fructose

I was just reading that body fat is stored in the form of triglycerides. Also, fructose is turned into triglycerides in your liver (right?). If this is the case then maybe fructose is the best type of sugar to have in the diet (from foods, not HFCS) because it will turn into fat and be burned for energy. Glucose messes up our fat burning by being used instead, fructose just turns into fat and we can continue in ketosis. Does this line of reasoning make any sense?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 08:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Fructose is fructose, whether it is from corn (HFCS) or fruit. It damages the liver, leads to type 2 diabetes, gout, insulin resistance, all kinds of bad stuff. Glucose is actually far more benign than fructose.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 08:56
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 220/210/200 Male 6.1 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Fructose is fructose, whether it is from corn (HFCS) or fruit. It damages the liver, leads to type 2 diabetes, gout, insulin resistance, all kinds of bad stuff. Glucose is actually far more benign than fructose.

nonsense. Glucose and fructose are the two most important simple sugars for human consumption.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.ed...anic/sugar.html
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 10:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.6/221.4/180 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

My grandpa get really ill from anything with fructose in it i me stomach cramps and in a fog and once it even made him pass out it has taken years to figure out what it was and now if he avoids he does just fine but if he has even the amount that is in salt it get him
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 10:54

Plan: Lacto-paleo
Stats: 201/146/140 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by motif
nonsense. Glucose and fructose are the two most important simple sugars for human consumption.

Umm, evidence? As far as I can see from the medical literature fructose causes insulin resistance, elevated serum uric acid, poor blood glucose control, and increased triglycerides as well as increasing viceral fat around the liver.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 11:14
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Quote:

So...other than quoting exactly what is written in the article...do you have anything else to say? Anything to back up that they are needed or useful or that they don't cause issues?

Here's some that say that your comment is "nonsense":

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/...e/S26/91/22K07/
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE66057P20100701
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...00621091203.htm
http://www.thenutritionreporter.com...se_dangers.html
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...ar-dangers.aspx
http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/...ose-corn-syrup/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21257751/

I can go on, but there's really no need.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 11:41

Quote:

I knew you would have something to say Nancy, fructose is your arch-nemesis

What I don't understand is why don't countries that eat a lot of fruit have liver damage, type 2 diabetes, gout, insulin resistance, but ones that eat HFCS do? Maybe the fructose molecule is the same but the effect on the body has to be different somehow. Also, why is it bad that your liver turns it into triglycerides? Isn't that a natural thing that your body is meant to do? We don't say it's bad that your liver turns protein into glucose so why is it bad that it turns fructose into fat? And about glucose being more benign, doesn't it just serve a different purpose, like glucose turns into blood sugar and can be used that way whereas fructose turns into fat and can be used that way. If that's the case it would seem that on a mostly ketogenic diet fructose would be a better choice.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 11:44
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
What I don't understand is why don't countries that eat a lot of fruit have liver damage, type 2 diabetes, gout, insulin resistance, but ones that eat HFCS do? Maybe the fructose molecule is the same but the effect on the body has to be different somehow. Also, why is it bad that your liver turns it into triglycerides? Isn't that a natural thing that your body is meant to do? We don't say it's bad that your liver turns protein into glucose so why is it bad that it turns fructose into fat? And about glucose being more benign, doesn't it just serve a different purpose, like glucose turns into blood sugar and can be used that way whereas fructose turns into fat and can be used that way. If that's the case it would seem that on a mostly ketogenic diet fructose would be a better choice.

bingo, was his name

p.s.
same way you could say oxygen is deadly...because it can do damages to organs too. Simple sugars are as necessary for human body to live as oxygen is.

Last edited by motif : Thu, Jul-22-10 at 11:57.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 12:24

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

Using that logic, you could justify the consumption of something like heavy metals.

Sugars aren't necessary as the body can convert protein to glucose. Even processes that require glucose can run on the levels that is produced on a diet effectively free of consumed sugars.

ETA: We cannot manufacture or convert things like essential fats or proteins. These things have to be eaten for us to function and continue with a healthy body.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 14:15
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I knew you would have something to say Nancy, fructose is your arch-nemesis

I'm talking about fructose. There's a lot going on in fruit, not just the fructose. I don't necessarily have anything bad to say about fruit. Whole fruit, not fruit juice. It's probably okay as long as you're healthy and you don't overdo it. It's when you think that fructose is somehow safer in the form of sucrose, agave syrup, honey, or concentrated in fruit juices I think you're courting disaster.

One of the issues with fructose is that it raises triglycerides which seems to go along with small particle LDL and possibly heart disease. You will always have higher triglycerides after eating, but they should get cleared away pretty quickly. But the typical SAD with lots of fructose they tend to not to completely clear the triglycerides between meals. The levels pile up, after each meal, leading to a really sky high level. Even after fasting overnight they don't return to the state they started out at.

Dr. Davis had a few entries about someone that measured their triglycerides eating a couple of different diets.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...handle-fat.html
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...-lipo-what.html
Quote:
Excess carbohydrates are diverted to an interesting metabolic pathway called de novo lipogenesis (DNL). This refers to the liver's ability to make triglycerides from excessive carbohydrates in the diet. Triglycerides are packaged for release into the blood as VLDL. VLDL, in turn, interacts with other lipoproteins, creating small LDL particles, reduced HDL and smaller, less protective HDL. High VLDL will be measured on a standard cholesterol panel as higher triglycerides.

Fructose just goes right to the liver and gets turned into trigs right away. Not a good thing.
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...experiment.html
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...experiment.html

High Levels of Fructose, Trans Fats Lead to Significant Liver Disease, Says Study

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90212161819.htm

Anyway, google up fructose metabolic disease and decide for yourself with eating lots of it is a good thing.

Is fruit eaten in moderation bad? I hope not. I eat it from time to time. I think evolutionarily it's sound. But is it sound when your trying to lose weight or you're struggling with insulin resistance? Not so sure it is. As a rare treat, I think it's fine.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 14:21
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
Using that logic, you could justify the consumption of something like heavy metals.

that would be no logic at all - heavy metals in any amount are deadly for humans so this comparison was silly to say the least.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 14:30

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

Quote:
that would be no logic at all - heavy metals in any amount are deadly for humans so this comparison was silly to say the least.

No, that's not true. Iron, magnesium, and several other heavy metals are vital for health. They can all be deadly or damaging to health in higher amounts. Sugar, on the other hand, is toxic in small amounts for some humans and is likely toxic in larger amounts for all humans. Plus it's not vital. You could go your whole life happily with consuming any sugar let alone simple sugars. You couldn't go more than a couple of minutes without oxygen.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 15:05

Quote:
I'm talking about fructose. There's a lot going on in fruit, not just the fructose. I don't necessarily have anything bad to say about fruit. Whole fruit, not fruit juice. It's probably okay as long as you're healthy and you don't overdo it. It's when you think that fructose is somehow safer in the form of sucrose, agave syrup, honey, or concentrated in fruit juices I think you're courting disaster.

I only am interested in fructose from paleo sources. I don't really care what other sources do to people, that doesn't apply to me.

Quote:
Anyway, google up fructose metabolic disease and decide for yourself with eating lots of it is a good thing.

Is fruit eaten in moderation bad? I hope not. I eat it from time to time. I think evolutionarily it's sound. But is it sound when your trying to lose weight or you're struggling with insulin resistance? Not so sure it is. As a rare treat, I think it's fine.

I'm not saying you should eat lots of it but I am just wondering if in natural amounts if there is anything actually wrong with what it does in your body. How do we know it's a bad thing for your liver to turn it into trig? Your body fat is in that form, is it bad for you to use body fat as fuel? Everyone here is trying to do that. I honestly don't care about most of the fructose studies because they all use crazy amounts of some highly processed crap not real amounts of real food. Unless you are guzzling pop everyday I don't think there is much danger of getting those problems. It seems glucose may be the bad guy, it raises insulin and feed cancer and everything. O this is too confusing
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 15:05

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

Fructose, as it is referred to today, is referring to what is processed and manufactured into bulk, commercial sweetener.

Fructose in fresh fruits, is a minimal 2 or 3 teaspoons... per entire POUND of fruit.

People whose regular diets include HFCS on the other hand; will be eating highly processed, artificial, chemical-filled items that have NO nutritional value whatsoever, AND the amount of HFCS will be vast.

It will never cease to amaze me that people read "fructose is bad", and take that to mean that whole, natural fruits should be avoided.... while splenda-laden cheesecakes and russell stover chocs get the thumbs up.

Fruits are also full of enzymes, and the very small amounts of naturally-occurring sugars found in fruits; are an entirely different animal, to the highly-processed vats and mass quantities of commercial grade fructose that is manufactured and used in all the commercial grade foods and drinks in the US.

HCFS is a highly processed substance, can be a source of neurtoxins, - AND is a genetically modified substance, through and through.

Commercially processed fructose in the form of bulk sweeteners... is nothing even VAGUELY akin to the small amounts of naturally occurring sugars in a piece of fresh fruit.

I also find it incredibly frustrating sometimes that this is like some kind of newsflash, even to so many people I know. It really blows my mind.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 15:20
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I only am interested in fructose from paleo sources. I don't really care what other sources do to people, that doesn't apply to me.

Maybe you should have entitled the thread, "Thoughts on fruit". Has different implications to me than fructose.

My statement stands. I think if you're healthy, not insulin resistant, whole fruit is probably just fine. If you're trying to lose weight, limiting it might be sensible.