Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 07:45

Plan: Grain-free Paleo/lowfiber
Stats: 110/155/170 Male 5.8''
BF:Not a concern
Progress: 75%

Well you're situation sounds... tricky. But I've been exactly where you are just precisely one year ago - and now I'm here on the forum all and well.

There really does come a point where anything you put inside in your body works against you. But it's not impossible to fix!

That being said, FM (can I call you that?), I suggest you don't jump to the conclusion that starchy carbs = NO constipation. Starchy carbs make an addiction - it isn't until you really get yourself off it that you can feel a BIG difference. First I say you get off cheese and dairy, regardless of whether it feels ok or not. The reason for this is because I'm afraid it might be causing you damage that other foods can irritate (say, gluten) and that they could be a horrible combo.

And I wouldn't touch vegetables either. Believe me - a lot of them they aren't necessary! I would give you reasons, but I'm not spam up this post too much, haha.

Toss out the bread/gluten - it does nothing for you. Toss out most of the dairy - it can only help.

What does this mean?

This is entirely up to you, and can only help.

Bringing only the simplest foods to your body - means a whole lot less pain. I do this with: -butter (ghee though) -beef/poultry -eggs -perhaps a banana and -potato/starchy harmless food. That's a DAY of nothing but that, and I can say that 95% of the issues are gone for ALL of my sensitivities!

I care more for treating my sensitivities than I do for gaining weight. The reason lies in that you can be fat or skinny, it doesn't matter unless your feeling good and healthy.

Than you see what foods actually "tick you off" - you add back more.

Sites that you can totally get along with:

Paleonu.com (I love this one particularly for its easy integration)
and
Hyperlipid/High Fat Nutrition Blog
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 15:35

Plan: Nothing
Stats: 107/107/125 Male 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersatileD
Well you're situation sounds... tricky. But I've been exactly where you are just precisely one year ago - and now I'm here on the forum all and well.

There really does come a point where anything you put inside in your body works against you. But it's not impossible to fix!

That being said, FM (can I call you that?), I suggest you don't jump to the conclusion that starchy carbs = NO constipation. Starchy carbs make an addiction - it isn't until you really get yourself off it that you can feel a BIG difference. First I say you get off cheese and dairy, regardless of whether it feels ok or not. The reason for this is because I'm afraid it might be causing you damage that other foods can irritate (say, gluten) and that they could be a horrible combo.

And I wouldn't touch vegetables either. Believe me - a lot of them they aren't necessary! I would give you reasons, but I'm not spam up this post too much, haha.

Toss out the bread/gluten - it does nothing for you. Toss out most of the dairy - it can only help.

What does this mean?

This is entirely up to you, and can only help.

Bringing only the simplest foods to your body - means a whole lot less pain. I do this with: -butter (ghee though) -beef/poultry -eggs -perhaps a banana and -potato/starchy harmless food. That's a DAY of nothing but that, and I can say that 95% of the issues are gone for ALL of my sensitivities!

I care more for treating my sensitivities than I do for gaining weight. The reason lies in that you can be fat or skinny, it doesn't matter unless your feeling good and healthy.

Than you see what foods actually "tick you off" - you add back more.

Sites that you can totally get along with:

Paleonu.com (I love this one particularly for its easy integration)
and
Hyperlipid/High Fat Nutrition Blog

Haha yeah, you can call me FM. I'm glad to have found someone in a similar situation. Have you always been thin? How tall are you? As much as I wanna have a big bowl of oatmeal right now to relieve my stomach pain (from the constipation I'm having) I will heed your advice and continue with day # 2 of low carb. I'll also cut out the whole milk for now. Can I drink cream though? It's funny you mention banana as a "safe" starch because unless I have it in a milkshake it'll usually bother me and give me gas. Anyway, I'd love to hear more about how you were in the past and how lc has helped you. Also, what does a typical days menu look like for you? Keep the advice comin bud! Thanks.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 07:32

My typical days menu isn't pretty - I'll let you know right now. If you're dedicated and REALLY want to strip every shred of possible reactions, then do follow me. But you'll have to lose your taste for food every so often.

Ok. Cream < Butter. Butter takes preference over most dairy because only the worst will react to it - and only to the small tsp amount of casein in it.

I'm not that awfully surprised at the banana problem. Different people tolerate different starches. You wanna know something? I can't tolerate rice. It's probably one of the most innocent starches, yet I can't tolerate it. BUT potato goes down fine. If you can't deal with a banana, switch it for some rice - we can see how well your body might take it.

Before ya reach for the bowl of oatmeal, always ask yourself: "is there a food that has a less chance of reacting with me? Can I try out oatmeal and see how I react later when my body is more calm?"

It's listening to your body and eating according to what it wants.

I suggest you open up a journal. It let's you write down and keep track of what you do in a day's worth of food, and let's people like me or whoever comment and help you out. It's what I did!

Keep it up - you've got nothing but to feel better!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 08:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Just beware of oatmeal if you're trying to go gluten free, it is often heavily contaminated with gluten because it is shipped, stored and processed with wheat. Also, there's a protein in oats that many gluten sensitive people react to. So, if I were on an elimination diet, I'd avoid it.

If you're searching for breakfast ideas, let me give you one. Forget the concept of breakfast entirely. Just treat it the same as lunch or dinner. Have something fatty and protein-y for breakfast, not something carby and cereal-y.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 17:06

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
I'm guessing from your height, weight, and writing style that you are young.

Is my writing THAT juvenile????

Besides, "young" is a relative term. No?
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 17:51

BF:
Progress:

Last night the stomach pain from my constipation got the better of me and I ate a bowl of whole wheat cereal. I felt a lot better afterward. Today I ate 1 cup of oatmeal and no pain as of yet. I just had a BM and so the foods from my 2 lc days were eliminated (most of the foods anyway) and it was mostly lumpy and not ideal.

Starting a journal sounds like a good idea. But I think I wanna try a mostly blended high carb diet for now to see how it goes. I wanna be regular again and have comfortable BMs. This diet will probably ostracize me but I wanna give it a try...

Breakfast
1 cup of Blended Oatmeal with milk

Snack
Banana Milkshake

Lunch
Flat bread (whole wheat)
Blended Soup (sweet potato, onion, carrots, mung beans)

Snack
Banana Milkshake

Dinner
Same as lunch

If I get hungry I will add protein like eggs or other meat into the mix but these foods will be the foundation.

Am I stupid for doing this? The pain from lc is just so hard to go through.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 07:00

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Is my writing THAT juvenile????

Besides, "young" is a relative term. No?

No, your writing isn't 'juvenile', its just...forceful. Young is relative, but compared to many of us here, I'm pretty sure young is appropriate.

Its also an important data point. Younger bodies respond better and more quickly to healthy changes.

I think your proposed diet is a horrible idea, since you ask. If your first purpose is to regulate the bowel you should try taking some nice magnesium oxide, which will loosen things up. Drink lots of water. Eat plenty of fat. Magnesium and coconut oil will solve a lot of unpleasantness.

And stop eating foods you know irritate your gut. Because that's only a short term fix. It isn't going to help you get any better in the long term.

You don't necessarily have to go low carb to get away from the prime suspects. Get away from oatmeal. Try hot cornmeal cereal instead. Get away from wheat flat bread. Try potatos or rice. You just said that bananas upset your stomach. Try making your shakes from coconut milk and some other fruit and add in some eggs.

I do think that low carb is the best approach, but if you've had bad experiences, you can work up to it.

I strongly believe if you can avoid gluten and dairy for 2 weeks, you'd see a lot of improvement.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 15:28

I can't see the reason in going high carb either. You know it just gives temporary relief. Nothing more.

I'm sorry if I came across as "all or nothing". Low carb isn't always about that. The beginning days are always the hardest. But isn't that the same with everything? Do give gluten free/casein free a try, it's not as hard as you think when you've got pain motivating you (whether it's from gluten or another).
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-10, 20:52
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Just wanted to mention that I'm very sensitive to gluten - and if I've got gluten lurking in my diet somewhere, then all kinds of other things become problematic as well. Seems stupid, but that's what happens!

I'm normally just fine with vegetables and so on, but on the heels of getting some gluten into my system, then I'm very sensitive to a whole lot of other foods. This can be very confusing - feeling like you can't eat anything without feeling bad.

Meanwhile, a lot of the foods that seemed bothersome are not a problem at all now that I've ditched the gluten. You can bet though, if there's even the teensiest bit of gluten that's slipped into my diet inadvertently - then suddenly onions are a problem, broccoli's a problem, nuts are a problem...yadda yadda yadda. Getting some gluten into my system means my body's not happy with much of anything until the gluten clears out.

Unfortunately - this sort of thing can lead to thinking that all sorts of things are suspect, when they're really not - just that the gluten or dairy is the real cuplrit, and if you've got a problem with either of those food groups, everything else is *also* irritating, until you eliminate the source of the problem.

Just throwing out some food for thought. If all kinds of foods are bothering you, it might not actually be that you can't tolerate all those different foods - but that there's one or two culprits that are causing the whole problem.

Hope you feel better soon.