Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 21:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/316/150
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default Summer Challenge???

ok just a couple more weeks of school...and we're DONE

right?!?!?!

anyone want to do a summer challenge?

how great would it feel to start school in the fall & look totally differnt? be at your goal weight...or at leasst on the way?!?!?!?

looking for other people for encouragement & support,, either through this site, or email, instant messenger, whatever

sound like plan???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 128/128/114
BF:
Progress: 0%

hey I'm up for the challenge!
I've always had some weight to lose because of my emotional attachment to food. Recently I've been trying to look at food as my body's friend/nourishment/ etc. It's sorta helping!
I'd love to do this with you! You can email me at monika~planet-save.com or IM me , Trilibites (my aim name).
You can definitely do it. I know this way of eating takes a while to get used to. I've tried induction like for the 6th time now, and I think I will actually stick to it. I'm on day 3 now- but I'm eating macadamia nuts and whole milk yogurt - nuts for the fiber and for the convenience, easy to eat at work and quick. whole milk yogurt cuz i need the variety!
keep in touch. i'll check back here later today and tomorrow if you want to stay in touch through the message board.!
~monika
stay strong!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 21:46

Plan: CAD
Stats: 249.5/217/184
BF:45.2/36.8/25
Progress: 50%

I'd love to be a part of a summer challenge...I'm part way to my goal weight(about 25% there) but I'd love to go back in the fall looking fabulous and being close to my goal weight!

So how does this challenge thing work??
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 19:37
Registered Member

BF:

I don't know how exactly we're going to work this, but just talking and helping each other out sounds good to me!
Congrats on being 25% of the way there!
How's it been for you?
I have horrible sugar cravings- mostly because I've grown up always having sweets!!! I keep telling myself that they are not healthy and useless, but it's not helping me!
I've been going somewhat strong for the past 4 days, without having eaten anything *illegal*, but I did have an LC bar today. I would like to not eat those or use splenda, and I'm trying to slowly get to that goal. =)
I wish I had a little bit of a busier life, but I'm home from school this semester and home is totally boring, and I don't have any money, so I can't really do anything- I started working so that will keep me a little busier, but other than that I am really sick of reading books all day and watching tv or being at the comp.
HOpe all is going well!,
monika
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 21:05

Thanks, it feels good to be losing the weight, and even better now that people are starting to notice and comment about it!

It hasn't been too bad, I sometimes get frustrated and just want to give up, mostly because I'm lazy and the fast things to cook are the highest in carbs but I'm dealing with it. I find the whole water thing hard to do, 2 Litres seems to be an ocean some days. But overall it hasn't been too bad. I'm home from school now so its more of a challenge, at school if I didn't want to be tempted by things, I just didn't buy them, but here, I've got to deal with the temptation of all the stuff my parents have in the kitchen too!

I can't wait to start working, so I can just pack my lunch and not be tempted by whats in the house! Step one for that is to find a job! Hopefully that'll happen soon.

Anyway good luck to all!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 16:25
Registered Member

BF:

I hear you! I have the same problem- being tempted by what's around the house. I started working last week so hopefully now it will be a little easier. But I work at a convenience store, and most of the time people are buying so many damn sweets and coffee! Both of which I am trying so very hard not have!
I decided that tomorrow i'm going to go hardcore induction style, to see if it's really possible to get rid of the sugar cravings. This is day 5 for me and I'm letting myself break into this slowly because I really want to stick with it!
Stay strong!!!! You can do it !!! Tuna is really quick and doesnt require cooking and eggs are pretty easy too!
What do you eat most of the time?
~monika
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 21:38

I eat eggs for breakfast/lunch most of the time, sometimes I eat meat instead of eggs for my protein, there are some days when neither seems appetizing though...I eat celery or cucumbers with most of my meals, or salad, but I've never been a big salad person so its cut up veggies most of the time.

I think I miss the motion of snacking more than the snacks! The motion of eating chips or something...thats probably one of my bigger battles actually.

Tonight I had a bit of a cheat actually, I had a few chips at my friend's house...and again, it wasn't the taste of the chips, it was missing being able to snack like that...hopefully that cheat won't through me off track too much.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 14:59
Registered Member

BF:

dont worry, i dont htink it will. i know- i miss snacking on skittles. those are my vice. or coffee and laffy taffy. ive just been hooked on sweets my whole life!

well i wasnt exactly able to stick to induction today, i hate prob too much cheese, some nuts, and whole milk yogurt. all are lc but still!

stay strong. i feel that once we're feeling healthy and looking great, snacking wont be such an important thing to have in our life. and even later on, when we have lost the weight, we'll know we can have some snacks if we truly want to- but maybe we'll be so happy with how we are feeling/looking that we wont even be tempted to snack on unhealthier things.=) thats what i keep tellign myself at least=)

2 days without any fake sugar type of stuff for me!
and have over eaten too badly! ate an excess of cheese but not as bad as i usually do!
I know... i have the same problem, nothing seems to be appetizing anymore. that is really bothering me. im thinking its just mental?
tomorrow im going to go for some variety. illl get a doublecheeseburger somewhere and ill try to come up with some other things. im so sick of meat. i never really liked it in the first place. im hope that it will become an acquired taste=) anything is possible!
~monika
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:09

I used to LOVE meat but I am so tired of eggs and meat...and now I'm not craving carbs much either, so food has kind of lost its appeal to me overall(which is kind of sad, but kind of good too)

Tomorrow I'm going back to school for a couple of days to do my last exams, so I'll be able to use the scale at the school so I'm kind of excited about that because its the one I've been using so I consider its numbers to be the "real" numbers.

I'm tired today(not related to dieting I don't think) I just thought I'd share

Anyway I gotta run, so much to do, so little time!

Good Luck & God Bless
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 21:14

Default Way to start a summer challenge!

I cheated BIG TIME the last couple of days. I went back to school on Sunday and made it through Sunday okay(I think I had a couple chocolate eggs though) and then Monday I was okay, I didn't drink all the water I should have, and then Monday night I had junk food and I had alcohol and today I had carbs at all my meals, and ice cream at the movie I went to tonight...My tummy feels bloated and yucky now...I can't beleive I did that! I'd been doing sooo well! I'm REALLY mad at myself
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 18:29
Registered Member

BF:

I cheated REALLY bad on monday. so bad! SOO bad. but i sorta learned something from it. i dont really miss those foods too much anymore. it took me about 2 months of attempting atkins and giving up to realize it.
sometimes i feel like, oh i want to cheat. then i think about what i want- and i cant think of anything. like yeah i could have some sweets but then afterwards ill just be pissed that i gave up, so why bother?
thats what ive been telling myself!
so now its day 3 of induction for me, and it's not so bad! the only problem i have is that i feel like i dont enjoy food anymore- but i dont think that's the diet's fault. i try to get myself psyched up for meals, and that works sometimes and i feel good about this wol. im like, Look! hey! i get to eat these awesome meals and lose weight! yay! but the problem is most of the times my meals dont come out tasting too awesome! i absolutely hate cooking!
ive been having eggs for breakfast, and im pretty sick of them. ill make an omelet tomorrow, maybe ill enjoy that a little more.
i love cheeseburgers. that meal i can always enjoy. maybe ill just eat those all the time? hehehe.
good luck! stay strong! remember to treat your body well and you will be healthy and lose weight!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 21:23

Hey...I'm super stressed and REALLY want to cheat(I just sorta did, I had about 3 mouthfuls of macaroni salad but I don't count that only because I don't want to ) Anyway I'm stressed about trying to find a job in a small town and about life in general...I'm trying soo hard not to give into the chocolate cravings because right now the only thing I am happy about is the weight loss, so I'm trying really hard to not cheat.

I also am really tired of eggs. My mom found some frozen turkey in the freezer, so I've been eating that lately, with just a little mayo and some salt and pepper, and its pretty good...

I just wanna be thinner! I'm glad that this whole CAD thing is working for me.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 17:14
Registered Member

BF:

YAY ! im so glad its working for you!

i was sick of eggs.. and now .. all of a sudden.... i really like them! and meat too ! this is so weird for me!
i admit, i wouldnt mind having some chocolate- BUT IT CAN WAIT. NO RUSH. !
it does get easier! i hope it's getting easier for you too.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 22:16

I sort of cheated tonight, I had more carbs in my Reward meal than I should have, but I drank so much extra water I'm hoping that will counteract the extra bit of carbs. My mom made a turkey tonight for dinner and I LOVE turkey and stuffing, so that was my bit of a cheat, but I don't feel bad tonight
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 10:59
Registered Member

BF:

coolcool ! dont feel too bad! try to stay committed tho! I dont know how CAD works exactly, didnt know you couldhave a reward meal. interesting!

im doing well. im on induction of atkins but i eat strawberries once in a while and nuts too. i was going without them but the constipation is so bad!!=( ive been taking psyllium husks but that doesnt seem tohelp=/ gonna go read up on the site about this problem~

i feel pretty good. i dont have any sugar cravings, but i miss enjoying sugar. unfortunately that makes me think this wont last too long! but at least to the end ofthis month or more!!=)

~monika