Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 18:31

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/201/140
BF:?
Progress: 24%
Question power to the protein

Thanks Kristine, I too am enjoying the lack there of the first 20 lbs I lost. It is really starting to feel good. For me I don't miss: The heartburn, those ugly bodily noises only ment to be made by beer drinking belly flappers LOL, the lightheadedness just before eating.
I will check the link, thanks.
How long have you been on PP?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 09:42
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>"those ugly bodily noises..."

Oh yeah: that, too! I don't miss that.

>>"How long have you been on PP?"

Since March. And I'm never going back.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 16:33

Plan: Protein Power, Atkins
Stats: 176/167/151
BF:19
Progress: 36%
Default Calories ?

Rob
well done on your success. I am wondiring about the total daily calorie intake.
Going by your posting, at 30 g carbs and 60 g protein per day, the total calories from these two would be approx 360. What is your total daily calories intake ? do you exercise as well ?
If you are eating, say, 1200 cals / day, then the balance would be coming from about 90g /day of fat. However going by your general description it does not seem as if you are eating as much as 90 g fat / day.
So your daily calories would seem to be even lower than 1200.
This sounds like a low cal, low carb, low everything diet. Obviously it works. But obviously it is anything but the unlimited eggs, bacon, cheese, cream, etc etc in unlimited quantities which Atkins claims is ok . As you say, much more like Protein Power (and the Zone (Zone is gram for gram low GI carbs and protein, small amount of fats added)), both of whom indicate that in the final analysis, calorie restriction is the only way.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 12:55

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%

Peter,

if I stuck to the 1200 cal ballpark figure I would never have lost anything and guess what ? I would have given this all up a lonnngggg time agoooooo .

It reallly got boring listening to all the well wishers telling me that I must eat 10 to 12 X body weight . That would have been 1500 cal to 1200 cal . I am a small person and that would have been like eating for 2 . I examined all the scientific facts and decided that at the end of the day it is about cal input but that the cal should not come mainly from fat but rather from protein . So yes I try to keep my fat intake to a minimum ( probably moderate fats compared to low fat diets ). I do use fats in cooking but I am careful about how much I eat . I also by the way I eat , limit my cal intake . That is almost a by- product but I am conscious not to let my cal intake go too high . Protein alone is enough to control your appetite .

As you say , I definitely dont eat 90 g fat per day .

Problem is that the less you have to loose , the harder it is to loose and the more you need to restrict yourself . I find it harder to stick to such a rigid regime but there is no other way for me . I allow myself a freeday over the weekend and then back to business immediatley . Means that weight loss is slow but it allows me to stick to my eating plan .

Rob
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 09:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Flax muffins

I would like to get a copy of your recipe for flax muffins please. What do they taste like? I miss stuff like that.
Thanks,
Pokey
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 12:59

Pokey ,

here they are. Hope you like em

Flax Muffins
_______

1/4 cup flax seed -- grind - should make 1/2 cup ground ( 3.5 g ECC , 7.5g protein, fat 13g) each tbl = 0.5g ECC
1/4 cup protein powder ( 2 g carbs) ( 1 scoop per 6 muffins)
2 tablespoons oil or butter
1/4 cup artificial sweetener -- splenda is best
1 egg -- beaten ( 0.5g carbs) or 4 tbl buttermilk ( 40 ml )
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tblpoons vanilla / 1 1/2 tbl almond essence
1/4 teaspoon salt substitute -- gives potassium
1 ounce chopped nuts -- optional ( 5 g carbs) or 40 g dessicated coconut
1/2 cup water

cinnamon 25g ECC/100g

Mix the above, let sit for a few minutes to thicken if necessary. Spoon into 6 muffin cases in muffin tins.
Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.(175 deg C) 11 carbs total , 2g to 2.5g carbs/muffin

they are best the next day

Enjoy
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 13:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hey thanks Rob,
Just a little before clue. What do they taste like? Anything you can describe? I have never heard of flax seed let alone used it. So i have no idea what to expect. but cant wait to try it.
Pokey
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 13:58

Pokey ,

The Canadians are big on Flax .

The seed is tiny , it comes in 2 varities ; brown and golden . Use the golden ones for culinary use . They are extremely beneficial for you , giving mostly fibre and oil , omega-3 fats , one of the essential fatty acids ,also found in oily fish .

I use flax ground in my breakfast shake and I drink 1 tbl pure flax oil as well . You can read all about the benefits of flax anywhere on the WWW . In cooking ,they add bulk and moisture so can be used instead of bread crumbs .

They do have a taste ( obviously) that I can only say is an acquired taste . It is distinctly plant or grassy in taste when raw but when cooked , is actually tasteless . They have to be ground before you use them because the body cannot digest them in the natural state . Also once ground they need to be kept in the fridge cos they can go rancid quickly . I only grind the amount that I need . You can keep them in their natural state indefinitely .

Thats it . when you combine them with moisture they form a thick paste almost like a runny dough .
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 14:00

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default PP again

Hi everyone,
This thread hasn't been too active. but I wanted to put my 2 cents in.
I think Protien Power makes more sense to me. I am able to follow it better than atkins.
I started low carbing about 3 years ago, lost 55 pounds just 5 pounds short of my goal. I because lax about low carbing and over the summer I gained 8-10 pounds. So now I am back on the protien power. Only problem, I lost my book and I would like to re-read it.
I will have to see if the library has a copy of the book.

I would love to hear from others who are doing PP. Stop by my journal and see what I am doing. As I said, I don't have my book and I am just going to wing it until I get my hands on it.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 16:00

Plan: Protein Power, Atkins
Stats: 176/167/151
BF:19
Progress: 36%
Default flaxseed ok ... but the carb count ?

Tried the muffin recipe (actually my wife did) - pretty nice, she used my chocolate flavor protein powder in the mix.

However, tho' yummy I am not sure if they are quite as low in carbs as suggested: see the Flaxseed carb count from the web site as below: 34.25 g Carbs / 100 g. Note this is not the Fibre count, which is shown separately.
Also, 1/4 cup Splenda (about 10 g)= 9.2 g carbs, so this needs to be included in the calculation.

We used:

Flaxseed (Linseed) 130g
Protein pwder 60g
Splenda 10g
Chopped almonds 30g
Olive oil 27g
1 Egg

plus vanilla essence cocnut essence, salt.

These are approx Rob's proportions:
makes 6 muffins: 224 cals each, 6g carb each

A bit dry, might mix some egg whites through the next batch, more water maybe

---------------------------------------------------
http://www.doggieconnection.com/rec...o/flaxseed.html

Flaxseed
Nutrient Units Value per 100 grams of edible portion
Sample Count Std. Error

Proximates
Water g 8.75
Energy kcal 492
Energy kj 2059
Protein g 19.50
Total lipid (fat) g 34.00
Carbohydrate, by difference g 34.25
Fiber, total dietary g 27.9
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 16:56

When you subtract the fibre from the carbs ,

you get the ECC which for flax seeds is 6 g/100g

Means that you only get 6g per serving
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 11:08

Stats: 221/213/160
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Protein Power

I started doing Atkins about two weeks ago but have strayed over the holidays. I am reading Protein Power and plan to switch to it starting next week. It seems like a plan that I will be able to follow in the long run. I also ordered PPLP and look forward to reading that.

Unfortunately, I have never been one to keep a journal. I will probably update mine on a weekly basis. I have a computer program where I will faithfully record my food intake so that I can keep track of both carbs and calories.

Wish me luck.

#73   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 15:53
Contributing Member

Stats: 225/210/125 Female 61
BF:40
Progress: 15%
Post Glad to here such positve feedback

Just joined and I needed to hear the good and bad of the program. Mostly good. I am motivated and heard some great meal plans here.

Happy 2003

Rita
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 11:17

Stats: 212/212/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Free for all

Rob -

Not sure what "free for all" means to you - does that mean that for a day you eat whatever you want, carbs and all? I am new and considering PP, so a plateau is not an issue for me yet, but I was just wondering, for the future...

Susan
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 16:17

Susan I have found that once you are well into your eating plan and have lost a significant amount of weight like 50%,

a once a week eating orgy for 24 hours will not make you gain weight . Thats my experience . I would eat freely on Saturdays and then go back to LC the next day , you wont loose but you wont gain .

Rob