Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 10:19

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Personally, I think it's a blessing that these "Drs" are so busy being famous (infamous more like!) that they don't have the time to actually practice!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 10:30

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Don't really feel one way or the other about the guy..I'm never home during the day so never really even catch his show but I was off Monday and his show came on..I was surprised to hear him say that what diet works best for you can vary..He had 3 groups of people take some bloodtest that tells you which diet would work best for you..It was either low fat, low carb, or something in the middle.

It was actually nice to hear someone saying that there's something other than a one size fits all approach and actually acknowledge that for some folks LC is the best way.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 10:33

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

People like Dr. Oz are seeing their theories smashed before their very eyes. Rather than admit it (and lose and income stream) they are saying "different things work for different people" now. :lol
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 18:59

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipleis
I don't watch a lot of commercial TV but suddenly this Dr. Oz guy popped up on my TiVo guide and was on constantly so I checked in. I thought "Where did this guy come from and why is he on all the time?" Part of the Oprah franchise apparently. Where does she find these people, and why do they deserve wealth and fame? The one who really chaps my britches is Dr. Phil. What a pompous blowhard.

AMEN to THAT!! BARF! And he has the dorkiest catch phrases. When I USED to watch his show, occasionally, he would say his little catch phrase and then pause, waiting for the laughter and/or applause. So contrived....yuck!
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-10, 19:03

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

#66   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-10, 19:53

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

"The 10-year cohort study by Jee et al collected the health data of 1,298,385 Koreans (829,770 men and 468,615 women), aged between 30 and 95 years, found the risks for various cancers were positively related to the individual’s fast serum glucose level and a diagnosis of diabetes mellitus, but did not find a notable link to body mass index. In other words, being slim alone does not reduce the risks for cancers. Although the study covered variable cancers, the colorectal and liver cancers in men were statistically significant in related to the fasting serum glucose (0.03 each) only next to the esophageal (0.007) pancreatic (0.009) cancers. At the same time, the colorectal cancer in women also had a significant trend with the fasting serum glucose level. While the fasting blood serum glucose level is positively linked to the risk of cancers including colorectal cancer, those study participants in the control group, whose fasting serum glucose was below 90 mg%, still yielded a substantial number of incidences. This indicates positive association of the serum glucose level with the risks of cancers might be beyond that of the fasting.

Despite several studies denied the connection between the incidence of colorectal cancer and glycemic index, glycemic load, and carbohydrates consumption, [7, 8] the data from nearly 1.3 million individuals used in Jee’s study can hardly be ignored.

In addition, more recent studies supported the link between the risk of colorectal cancer and the consumption of carbohydrates. [9, 10] Gnagnarella P et al summarized, “This comprehensive meta-analysis of GI and GL and cancer risk suggested an overall direct association with colorectal and endometrial cancer.” [11] Barclay AW et al concluded, “The findings support the hypothesis that higher postprandial glycemia is a universal mechanism for disease progression.” [12]

Several studies have found postprandial hyperglycemia triggers inflammation. [13] A review article by Coussens LM and Werb Z cites, “It is now evident that inflammatory cells have powerful effects on tumour development. Early in the neoplastic process, these cells are powerful tumour promoters, producing an attractive environment for tumour growth, facilitating genomic instability and promoting angiogenesis”, and, “It is clear that anti-inflammatory therapy is efficacious towards early neoplastic progression and malignant conversion. In a fully developed malignancy, there are ‘excess’ inflammatory cells in the tumour microenvironment.” [14] The latter substantiates the observation that the use of Aspirin reduces the deaths from colon cancer.” [15]"

http://www.carbohydratescankill.com...es-colon-cancer

So the Dr. Oz diet will make you thin AND give you butt cancer
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-10, 21:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%

I would LOVE to have the Chicken Chipotle Cheddar meatballs recipe! Did the recipe ever get posted??
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 16:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/210/165 Female 62
BF:
Progress:

I don't like him either!
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 20:57

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am his friend on FB just so I can make comments. I just can't stand visiting his wall.
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 13:40

Plan: PaleoNu
Stats: 157/145/145 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I sometimes watch Dr. Oz just to see what kinds of misinformation his viewers are getting. It is an uphill battle, indeed.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-10, 13:35
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 140/135/110 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkelsie
I get home from work at 5pm. While I cook, I turn on my TV for background noise. Dr. Oz's show is ALWAYS on!! I don't have cable, so I have like 3 channels. His show is on one of them constantly...this man gives THE WORST diet advice ever. It scares me that Americans see him as a "credible" expert. I think if people follow his advice, we need to be prepared for the obesity epidemic to get worse before it gets better. For example:

He had a "diet intervention" show on the other day where they had firemen come in who all had 50-150 lbs to lose. The firemen were used to eating a meat-heavy but also carb laden diet (meat lasagna, burgers and fries, pizza, etc). Dr Oz's nutritionist guest put the men on a meat-free, dairy-free, fat-free, gluten-free diet. The only thing they were allowed to eat was vegetables, fruit, and soy-based meat substitutes. Then they made a vegan-soy lasagna and gave it to the firemen for a taste test...you could totally tell the guys HATED the way it tasted and only pretended it was good because they were on TV. For breakfast, they were advocating fruit/soy smoothies. Yeah, that'll fill up a bunch of burly men. For lunch, they were supposed to eat veggie stir-fry (fat free, cooked in PAM) and rice.

Let's forget the fact that high carb, low-fat, fruit-based diets do almost nothing for weight loss, but how is that supposed to be sustainable? I would think they would be sooo hungry, that they would want to drive to the nearest McDonald's, and pig out. Plus, the more I read about soy, the more I realize how bad it is in large quantities. Of course, everyone thinks Dr. Oz is sooo wise. I once saw a picture of him with his kids and wife, and truth be told, they were all a bit chubby. Also, I think if I ate 10 servings of fruit/veg each day, I would have the runs like crazy...

Rant Over. I am going to eat some Chicken Chipotle Cheddar meatballs dipped in ranch. Yummy yummy fat!

i thought i was the only one without cable, stuck with dr oz (and "the doctors") on with my limited channels.

it's sad to watch the horrible advice given on his show. i try to look at the positive... in that *I* know better. and you all seem to as well
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 20:13

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Waiting to check out at the grocery store yesterday and spotted Dr. Oz's smiling Photoshopped face on the cover of Woman's World magazine. The headline said "Lose 11 lbs a Week on Dr. Oz's Easy Detox Diet". Gosh, I don't know how I resisted buying that magazine. I'd love to easily lose 11 lbs a week.

Do people still fall for these idiotic headlines? Do they really think that Dr. Oz has the secret to losing 11 lbs per week?
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 20:15

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
Waiting to check out at the grocery store yesterday and spotted Dr. Oz's smiling Photoshopped face on the cover of Woman's World magazine. The headline said "Lose 11 lbs a Week on Dr. Oz's Easy Detox Diet". Gosh, I don't know how I resisted buying that magazine. I'd love to easily lose 11 lbs a week.Do people still fall for these idiotic headlines? Do they really think that Dr. Oz has the secret to losing 11 lbs per week?
Not to mention that these sorts of magazines also usually have a screamer on the cover for something like "25 of the richest, fudgiest brownie recipes".
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 14:23

Plan: Almost ZC
Stats: 220/220/140 Female 5'4
BF:Yes
Progress: 0%

Followers of the "church of oprah" will believe anything that comes out of that woman's mouth. Dr. Oz is a moron and so is Dr. Phil.
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 17:09

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I did a google picture search on him. He looks swarmy, like a snake-oil salesman. What up with the scrubs? It's so obviously a prop. It's as if he considered wearing a stethoscope in order to look more credible, like the fake doctors do on commercials, but figured that was too obvious and settled for scrubs. What a fake.