Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-10, 21:28

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%
Default Oh God! What Happened? Please Help Me.

So yeah, I'm back. At least I think I'm back...I don't know. After a year hiatus I'm gave just about all my weight back and I look and feel like shit.

I'm not even sure if I can do this again. I'm going to need some help 'cause I just don't know if I have the strength. I'm sitting here typing this with streams of tears rolling down my eyes and I just don't know. I made it through day 1 (today) but I'm not sure if I can do low carb again. I keep telling myself to calorie count, but after numerous attempts at that and failing, I know I need to go back to what worked for me the first time (low carbing).

So how come it feels so hard to get started this time. Guess cause I'm not sure if I want to give up homemade corn tortillas made from masa, french fries, and such, but then again, that's why I'm sitting here in tears.

I don't have the strength to change my weight from 224 (I think that was my last weight when I was here...either that or 226. Anyway, I was 220 something...now I got to put it back to 270 lbs. I'm freakin' 270 lbs again! Oh god...I don't know if I can take it. My hips hurt...my knees hurt. I can barely walk for 15 minutes without being in pain and out of breath. I can't believe I did this to myself. When I was last here I was doing so well...swimming, exercising daily...talking about doing a marathon and all kinds of stuff. Now look at me...back to being a fat pig. I hate it. I hate it.

God help me please.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-10, 22:03
Registered Member

Plan: Moving toward Paleo-ish
Stats: 300/300/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Take a deep breath!! I've been there. This is my first time low-carb, but I've been where you are. But if it worked once, it can work again. Just take the lessons you've learned and move on. It won't be easy, but like I've seen all over the place here - being fat is hard, losing weight is hard... pick your hard.

I found once the carbs went away that my energy levels came back, that I wasn't as depressed, that I didn't feel that hopelessness. That didn't come from losing weight, it came from eating better, and getting all the crap out of my diet. It will happen.

(I was 309 at my last doc visit in, um, October? according to her scale. I've only been at this for a month - apparently I'd lost a bit before I started - and am at 279.6 right now. So I'm right there with you.)

*hugs*
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-10, 22:18
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Welcome back 2007!

Its great to see your gorgeous face again...even as I know that you are in so much pain

I've been where you are now havin g gotten down to a bout 210 and regaining back to 270 again. You are not above 300 now so that is a good thing.

We start over 1 day at a time. In 3 days, you'll be feeling so much better than you do tonight, I promise!!

One aspect of this whole thing is to not let yourself get to feeling deprived of an old favorite food. If that is a corn tortilla for you, then make a plan to have it once in a while. I did that with 2 old favorites and planned to have them in a small amount once a month while I was losing my weight. NYC bagels were one....and pasta the other. Now 6 yrs later, I rarely eat either as our food does evolve over time.

You've learned a lot since last year and that will help you succeed this time. So its time to get busy going food shopping to get all your low carb favorites and cook up a storm.

I know that you can do this!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 00:25
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

as Judy said so eloquently, despite your pain, it's lovely to see your smiling (virtual) face again! To say what has been said to me--more than once--you were successful before, and that's a very good sign that you will be again.

Sweetie, when I *first* joined this forum, I thought I'd be done w/the weight loss phase in about 8-9 months. Ha and yet again ha! That was five-ish years ago! I just didn't learn what I needed to know as fast as I thought I ought to. When I regained, I put on every stinkin' pound I lost, and probably a few to boot. (Talk about your hard learner . . . ) I don't intend this as a threadjack--just sayin' don't feel like the lone stranger--lots of us retreads around, and it takes what it takes. Some of us have to do this more than once is all.

Hard as this might seem: use your pain. Feel it, honor it, listen to what it has to teach you. As you climb out of bed, climb the stairs, struggle to clip a seat belt, look through your closet for something--anything--to wear, pay careful attention. That's the fuel that will keep you inspired, determined, motivated for the time that it takes to get happy in your own skin again.

Please allow me to share some inspiration with you--an amazing lady who can do anything she sets her mind to do. Just look at her face--she's marked for happiness . . .

#5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 01:39

You ladies are so wonderful. Thank you. I was so ashamed to come back. I told myself "I'll just do this alone. No one has to know of my setback." But I knew I had to be truthful to myself, my spirit needed to admit failure, but I was so ashamed to come back...that everyone would laugh, but I needed to be and feel accountable for my actions. I know I need your support, I know I need the support of this forum to make it through. You ladies and many others make this forum really work. Thank you for that.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 02:52

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007
You ladies are so wonderful. Thank you. I was so ashamed to come back. I told myself "I'll just do this alone.

The door is always open, as any priest in any church would have said.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 03:39

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 282/266.2/174 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Today in church the sermon was,"Failure, the door to success". It is our failures that build our character and turn us to our creator. The pastor quoted Thomas Edison. He was interviewed after he patented the light bulb. The newspaper asked him how many tries did it take to finally succeed in his design. He said, "15 thousand". The newspaper reporter asked him, "Didn't you get depressed or discouraged?". Mr. Edison said, "No! I found 15 thousand ways not to make a light bulb!"
The moral of this story is this, you have found many ways not to lose weight and many ways to actually gain some weight. You know a really good way to eat that makes you feel healthy and fit. You get to learn from your mistakes and start over again. Remember you aren't a failure until you refuse to get up and start again. Failure=Quiting Don't give up, don't quit.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 04:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303/287/190 Female 5'5.5"(65.5")(166.5 cm)
BF:
Progress: 14%

I haven't been posting much, mostly just reading, but I have to get out of my lazy ways and write to tell you that you are absolutely not a fat pig! You are beautiful and you have successfully lost over 80 lbs in the past, from looking at your stats.

Yes, it is hard, but you can do it again. I have been a member here since 2003 or '04 and have been gone for over a year at a time because I fell off the wagon, but I will always, always come back here and try again. Low carbing is the only thing that works for me and one day I will be able to stay on it and be successful. You will too--just don't give up! Never give up!

Forget what they say about the "golden opportunity" or whatever they call it: it has been claimed that the first time you try low carb it will work the very best and when you fall off and then start over you can't lose as fast or as well. I don't think that is true at all!

I started over on February 2 of this year weighing 280 lbs, and have lost 22 lbs in six weeks! Now I weigh 258 and feel alert and alive, much more limber and healthy! At 280 I felt stiff and old: my hips hurt, my knees hurt, my feet hurt. I could barely reach my feet to put my shoes on. Six short weeks later and I feel 10 years younger!! I've been walking all over our land (130 acres) planting pine tree seedlings, and I feel great! Six weeks ago I was afraid to take a walk for the fear that I literally wouldn't make it back to the house!

Sorry to go on and on about myself, but I want to encourage you to be exited about starting over! You can see incredible results in a very short time! I don't mean just weight loss, but the way you feel in your mind, and more mobility and range of motion.

Elizabeth
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 08:18

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Welcome back!
I'm so glad you didn't let your fears keep you from the support here. I think anyone who makes it to the TDC has a long history of trials, missteps, failures, successes. No one is going to laugh or look down on you. We've been there and done that.

I myself am just climbing back on the wagon. The one bit of advice I can give is every time you fall off, if you can keep just one good habit from before. A food you avoid, drinking lots of water, more movement, anything. That's a victory. And every time you don't gain back *everything* you lost in the first place, that is also a victory.

I've kept off 110 lbs for about 5 years. That's a huge victory. If I only managed to keep off 10 of the 20 I lost last year, well, that's just a smaller victory, but its still progress.

Every round lets me refine the tools I use to make choices the next time so my forward progress continues, even if it isn't the way I'd like it to go. Life happens, other priorities take the forefront, we just do what we need to to and go on.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 09:00
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Such words of wisdom above!

On my first few returns, I felt ashamed, felt like a complete failure. Now I just follow the lead of a friend who had been out seeing the world for five years, returned to his mother's house, let himself in and yelled upstairs to her from the pantry, "Hi, Mom, where's the peanut butter?" (Some folks you just can't top for style, right?)

I liken this to quitting smoking, to which evil vice I surrendered myself for several years. You look far too smart and sensible to have done that, but perhaps you know someone who has struggled with this? When I quit, I was thoroughly addicted, and I tried several-several-many times to quit. Sometimes I didn't even make it through a day. Yet, like Batspit said, with each attempt was a learning process, and I took some nugget of knowledge of the enemy away from each battle. And then one day, one quit, was the one that took. No different, really, than any other time, but I just kept on abstaining on that go 'round.

Even that (to make a short story long and boring) didn't happen perfectly--over the course of 3-4 days, I tapered, until by the end of the week, I wasn't smoking. Then my father died a few months later, and my first response was to light up. I smoked a cigarette, started on another, looked at it and said, "What ___ am I doing?" and threw it away and haven't smoked since.

But if I'd quit trying before I got to that go-round, if I labeled myself a failure and stopped there, I'd probably be dead by now.

Same with the weight. I've been trying to win this battle since I was a teenager. Any sensible person would probably have given up long ago, but because I didn't, I'm now a whole lot closer to my goal, and much happier than I was a few years ago. And like my last `quit' with the cigarettes, it was a lumpy start, like a flying dream where you can't get off the ground at first.

I feared another struggle, dreaded trying to muster up the mental, emotional, and physical stamina for the battle. What ended up evolving out of that was what I think of as an additive rather than subtractive approach. I started including food that I knew would nourish my body (I used a sort of Low Carb Meets SuperfoodsRx approach) and drinking more water. I wasn't taking anything away, so I had nothing to fear. And over the course of a few weeks, I found I was making primarily LC choices, and then I felt so much better it was easy to let the other stuff fall away.

It was *not* what anyone could call a clean induction--but I had a few other folks who have been wildly successful here tell me that this was what they had to do also--ease into it. I had just far, far, far too many enthusiastic launches followed by a crash and burn to my name, and simply didn't have the heart to wake up and "Just say no."

I also continued, and do to this day, to incorporate foods that many people would shun: whole-fat yogurt, raw nuts at will (roasted ones are trigger foods for me), dark chocolate, berries, and a bounteous salad each day w/spinach, tomatoes, avocados, red peppers, cheese, blue cheese dressing and cottage cheese--and I feel so nourished in body, mind, and palate--not to mention enjoying the bright colors. I see fast food my co-workers bring into the lunchroom, and there is no regret whatsoever for my choices--it never occurs to me to think `I wish I could have that'. Give yourself the gift of time, and trust the process. You'll be wahooing off on that marathon a year from now, for sure.

No shame. No blame. Just happy to see you back. Gotta step outside and kill the fatted calf now.

Last edited by kathleen24 : Sun, Mar-14-10 at 09:23.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 12:30

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I had just far, far, far too many enthusiastic launches followed by a crash and burn to my name, and simply didn't have the heart to wake up and "Just say no."

Thanks for sharing that Kathleen. I've been feeling down and...sloppy? because I don't feel motivated to 'just say no' this time. I'm not leaping forward with enthusiasm. Its just something else that has to be done right now. Brush my teeth, do the laundry, pay the bills, stick to my diet. Its really good for me to hear that its the same some times for others.

Yes, it is a diet. Between my low carb needs, my calorie needs, and my food allergies, I've lost the joy in food and its all I can do right now to make healthy choices. Very few of them are emotionally fulfilling right now, but that's just the way it has to be for a while.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 15:13

Default The Lord Works In Mysterious Ways...

First of all, I want to say thank you Jesus. Thank you for giving me the strength to come back and placing my pride aside.

Second, oh my goodness ladies, thank you all such wonderful words of wisdom, affirmations, and great advise. I'm in tears again, just from the wonderful feedback. I'm such a crybaby sometimes, but this is a very emotional time for me right now and I'm pretty much trying to convince myself that this is going to work because I can feel me moving forward, but then there's that little nagging voice...you know what I mean...in the back of your head saying all kinds of awful stuff about how your not gonna make it ...etc...etc.

Well before I lose track, I have to say thank you again Jesus because just from the feedback I've received so far I feel a spark of hope, I feel like someone cares so even if that nagging voice wants to tell me otherwise as long as I even act on going through the motions of moving ahead I believe I will be alright. I'm just going to take one step at a time.

So to begin, last night I made myself a salmon/egg salad so it would be chilled and ready for breakfast this morning. I also took some chicken out the freezer to thaw so I can make some fried chicken for Sunday dinner. Basically, just trying to help myself avoid failure by preparing. I remember this being my number one thing when I was good. I was always cooking and buying low carb stuff. So that being said, the number one thing I have to do *TODAY* is get rid of all the carby stuff in my kitchen otherwise I can already see my demise. There's no way I can just throw the food away, to many people suffering, so I'm going to put an ad on craigslist this afternoon and I know someone will come get it in a jiffy. Next, going to the supermarket to stock up on all my favorite LC items.

Man! I just wanted to say it's a good thing I looked at the carb count on my creamer bottle before I went crazy with my coffee this morning. There's 5 carbs per tablespoon and yesterday I had 4 cups of coffee with plenty of creamer. So that will have to go to. It's funny how the little things can get you. So back to my heavy cream in the coffee.

Lastly, I want to say there was one thing I did always stick to even though I was eating carby. I never went back to real sugar. I always continued to use Spenda so that's good.

Anyway, lots of work ahead of me. I'm just going to take it one day at a time. Come here often because I need you guys more than I realize.

So here's to Day 2. Here we go.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 15:51
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Good 2007!

"failing to plan is planning to fail"
I love that one!

Its so good that you saw how bad your creamer is. In the future, look at all ingredient lists of any food you buy...and seriously avoid HFCS=high fructose corn syrup as it is truly just another name for the sugar you have not been eating.
Nothing wrong with heavy cream ....I don't use it as I prefer H&H in my coffee.

Enjoy your cooking...and your yummy fried chicken!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 16:05

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Its good to see that you're feeling happy and determined today, 2007. Getting rid of the carby food is so important. If its in the house, I will eventually eat it, so its better for me to have bare cupboards then be tempted. I feel like a failure most of the time, too, but like Lajuana said: failure = quitting, and I'm not a quitter (most of the time) so even though we sometimes have trouble sticking with a low carb lifestyle, that doesn't mean we're failing at it.

Bat Spit, when you said,

"Between my low carb needs, my calorie needs, and my food allergies, I've lost the joy in food and its all I can do right now to make healthy choices. Very few of them are emotionally fulfilling right now, but that's just the way it has to be for a while."

I totally identified with you. Lately I think more about which foods won't aggrivate my aching insides then which foods will cause me to lose weight. Once I get my IBS under control then I will concentrate on weight loss.

I still think those of us who gain weight so easily have a metabolic disorder that doesn't allow us to eat like other people. I know most doctors say that isn't true, but there is no way I can eat like most people and not get fat. Obesity, for me, is the symptom of my body's inability to process and metabolize carbohydrates. I've been fighting it my entire life, almost all of us here in the TDC have. Thank God for the low carb WOE. It may be a struggle to stick with it sometimes, but it really is the only thing that works.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 16:36

Okay, so I placed this posting on craigslist, 6 or 7 people have responded so far, 1 lady claims she's on her way, but if not I have another lined up to come.

Funny, I felt sad as I bagged the groceries. Can't believe I'm doing this considering I'm on a budget. I'm like "good bye bag of potatoes, good bye masa, good bye pillsbury flakey dough. lol But, I must admit, it sure does feel darn good giving the food away to others that need it. That feels *real* good.

Several BAG OF FREE FOOD (LAS VEGAS)
Date: 2010-03-14, 2:32PM PDT
Reply to: sale-sebqp-1644048439~craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I'm giving away a few bag of free food. It isn't much, it's all fresh some items have been opened and some have not. I'm just giving it away because I'm starting a new low carb diet and now I can't eat these foods and I don't want to throw good food away. First come, no holds.

So if you're interested, I have to give away:

1 Large 15 lbs of Potaoes
a bag and a box of rice
a bag of Masa
a few bannanas
a large can of refried beans
3 chocolate slim fast peanut butter crunch bars
1 can of Seasoned Italian Bread Crumbs
1 box Pillsbury Rolled Pie Crust
1 box/roll Pillsbury Pizza Thin Crust
1 box Cream of Wheat
1 box corn startch
1 small bag of fresh oranges
1 box of crackers
1 box of Raisin Brand
a bottle of honey
a bottle of Mrs Butterworth Syrup
a bottle of Creme Brulee Coffee Creamer
1 bag of wheat dinner rolls

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1644048439