Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 13:30

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkclouds
I am trying to stick to three days a week because the podcast I listen to says it's important to rest in between days and not burn yourself out by trying too much too soon. BUT I am starting to WANT to run everyday! Ofcourse by "run" I really mean run/walk. But it's a great feeling!

Ditto to ALL and I mean ALL of the above!! Took the words right outta my mouth!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 13:42

Quote:
Yikes is right!!!
I am not worthy!
'

LOL. I am right there with ya! I just realized my next run W6D3 is a 25min run...I'm trying not to think about it too much because I have the tendency to sike myself out & for me the mental part is definitely half the battle..if not most of it.

What I've been realizing is that it's a fine balance between telling myself "It's Ok. Go slow & Just do your best..and if you need to walk extra or longer or repeat the day or week it's OK" OR "Push through it. You are not going to die. It's just tough. It's supposed to be tough..if it wasn't everyone would be doing this.....There's no getting around this.. It's either today or tomorrow."

I normally use the first little pep talk to just get me out there..because for someone who is as overweight as I am and who had do week one 3x because I couldn't even handle a 60 sec slow jog..just getting out there & not letting the self doubt creep in is HUGE.

Then when I'm actually out there and starting to struggle I go to the other set of self talk to push through it. I'm hoping I can do so again with this next 25 min run coming up. Even if the worst happens and I can't..darn't I've come a long way! And then there's tomorrow.

Wishing everyone continual success with their running program!!! Can't wait to hear everyones stories & share in your journey!!

Have a great evening!!!
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 15:48

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

My money is on you Gwen!! I can't even imagine jogging 25 minutes yet but, then again, 3 weeks ago I couldn't imagine doing the 5 minutes I did yesterday (twice). Watching you go through it a couple of weeks ahead of me and succeed is motivating. You go girl!
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 08:14

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

OK - need some advice. I did W4D1 on Sunday and went to Curves Mon and Tue. Today was supposed to be W4D2 for me but I have not slept the last 2 nights, I have a really heavy TOM and I feel completely drained. I really needed a day off. How do you run during TOM??? I also now am worried about too much time since my last run. Will I be able to keep up if I can't do W4D2 until Friday? Ugh. I would hate to lose a whole week out of every 4 but TOM really kills me. What do you gals do?
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 08:59

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

I have very heavy TOMs too, atleast day 2 and 3, so try to be kind to myself on those days and avoid heavy cardio. I run on the lighter days before and after.

I have had to restart once already due to a vacation break and now, I'm going through the same thing. The last time I ran was Saturday and I'm leaving for a week to Seattle tonight. I am pretty sure I will be able to sneak one or two days in while I'm there, but I do feel like I'm dangerously close to having to repeat week 2 instead of moving on to week 3.

Don't be too hard on yourself if you have to repeat a few days. Better to do that and continue on then stop altogether right?
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 10:53

Quote:
I have very heavy TOMs too, atleast day 2 and 3, so try to be kind to myself on those days and avoid heavy cardio. I run on the lighter days before and after.

Quote:
Don't be too hard on yourself if you have to repeat a few days. Better to do that and continue on then stop altogether right?

I do the same as well! Day 2 & 3 I'm sooo drained esp on top of the anemia that I already deal with. This last month I too did my running on the lighter days before & after and even then I told myself to just give it a try..to do my best..but if I needed to repeat the day it was ok. Fortunately I did better than I expected & was able to complete it but even I hadn't I would have just did would I could and than repeated the day my next workout day. I'm going to go into this month's TOM with the same thought process...

If you really don't feel like you can handle a run today..wait and see how you feel tomorrow. Believe me these few deviations from your normal schedule will not undo all the progress you've made. Hang in there and hope you are able to get some rest!
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 10:56

Happy to say I was able to do W6D3 this morning! YAY! On to Week 7!! I was so grateful for the break in weather and to actually have beautiful temperatures to run in at 6am this morning. Such a relief! Now if only that gorgeous weather would stick around for awhile...ahh well!

Have a great Wednesday everyone!!
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 12:28

Plan: Atkins/SouthBeach
Stats: 218/205/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Ok I did a woopsie yesterday I was to do 90 sec jog and 60 sec walk...I instead did 3 min jog and 60 sec walk..That was really hard! So I am relieved to know that Im suppose to do 1 min n 30 sec of jogging w/ 60 sec of walking for my next 2 days this week.

My question for ya'll:

Are any of you incorporating strength training with this C25K and or additional cardio? If so how and when?
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 12:30

Plan: Atkins/SouthBeach
Stats: 218/205/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweny70
Happy to say I was able to do W6D3 this morning! YAY! On to Week 7!! I was so grateful for the break in weather and to actually have beautiful temperatures to run in at 6am this morning. Such a relief! Now if only that gorgeous weather would stick around for awhile...ahh well!

Have a great Wednesday everyone!!

You are very inspiring especially to do this at 6 in the morn!!!! do u plan on running a 5k race?
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek
Ok I did a woopsie yesterday I was to do 90 sec jog and 60 sec walk...I instead did 3 min jog and 60 sec walk..That was really hard! So I am relieved to know that Im suppose to do 1 min n 30 sec of jogging w/ 60 sec of walking for my next 2 days this week.

My question for ya'll:

Are any of you incorporating strength training with this C25K and or additional cardio? If so how and when?

Awesome job on completing your run! And how great is it that you were even able to do more than what you actually were supposed to do. I remember my first 3 min jog. It was tough! Way to go! So now that 90 sec jog will be no problemo for you! CONGRATS!!

And to answer your question--Yes, I am doing a strength training DVD 3x a week..sometimes 2x a week but my aim is 3x a week...on my rest days from running. I think it's caused the scale to slow down BUT I know it's made a difference in my running AND in how I look, how my clothes fit, and how I feel. So to me it's definitely worth it!
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 13:36

Quote:
You are very inspiring especially to do this at 6 in the morn!!!! do u plan on running a 5k race?

Thanks so much! I have to do it at 6am because if I wait til I get home from a long day at work I know from past experience that I will have no energy or desire to do it..or life (errands, dinner plans, etc.) will get in the way. I actually prefer to be out there running by 5:15-5:30..esp on the hotter mornings.. but this morning I slept in a little.

I haven't signed up for a 5K race YET but I really want to and soon. I've been debating about one that is the first Sat in August..but I'm worried that I won't be ready by then. I mean I will have completed the 9 week C25K by then & hopefully will be successfully jogging 30 min but I don't think that 30 min will equate to 3.1miles since my pace is so slow right now...Self doubt is a no fun! ;0) but I think I'm just gonna dive in and sign up and just do my best!

How about you? Have you signed up for anything yet?!?
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 13:53
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I started this yesterday. I'm going to be on week 1 for a while I am HORRIBLE at running. I was a cheerleader for years before I got heavy, and even with training daily year round with that, I could never run a lap around the track. But...I'm going to stick with it and keep giving it a go. Hubby went with me and breezed through it with no problem. I got through the first run and halfway through the second, and got that really bad sharp pain in my right side...you know the one...it's saying "HEY! WTF do you think you're doing...sit down!"

I can go at a fast clip on the eliptical for an hour, but I can't jog to save my life. I think I am going to get out and power walk this week, and then start week 1 again next week and try to do every other jog. Then the following week do week 1 as it was meant to be done.
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 14:12

Quote:

My question for ya'll:

Are you doing Week 2 right now? That's where I am and my program says to alternate running for 90 seconds and walking for 2 minutes, not 60 seconds. So you might want to double check that.

Congrats on running the three minutes straight though, sounds like you are ready for week 3!
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalr
I got through the first run and halfway through the second, and got that really bad sharp pain in my right side...you know the one...it's saying "HEY! WTF do you think you're doing...sit down!"

This happens to me when I go too fast. Remember to take it slow at first, a nice easy pace. The podcast I listen to says you should be able to talk while you're jogging and if you can't than you are probably going too fast. It also says to watch your form- keep your arms loose and run on your heels not your toes. Worry about speed later.

Congrats on getting started!!!
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 14:42

Krys: Welcome & Congrats on starting!!! OH man sorry to hear about your struggle with running! Hoping this journey w/the C25K program proves to be positive for you as it has for so many others! And I had to repeat Week 1 three times before moving on and it worked out well so sounds like you have a great plan! I felt better moving on to the other weeks after I created a really strong foundation with 3 week of week 1. Of course I'm severly overweight & was inactive so 3 weeks proabably wouldn't be necessary for most. Congrats again on both starting the program and your awesome weight loss!!!!