Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 03:28

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

I wonder how much of my swimming practice was ruined just by eating sugary bananas. Probably not as much as by eating everything else not nailed down, as well. I was a HUNGRY kid.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 06:39

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Why I originally brought up bananas: I have no doubt that on a diet of limited food but unlimited bananas, I could keep the weight up with bananas.

Quote:
I remember a year or so back when I tried coming back to these boards, most of the long-timers were being super rude to the newbies who asked questions and just over-all so moody. I believe it was around winter time so I wrote it off as some sort of seasonal affective disorder and people were just more moody. I wasn't the only one who noticed and 3 other people messaged me after sticking up for a new person saying they were leaving the boards because it was hard to find someone supportive. Now, it wasn't NEARLY as bad as what you describe on the WW board, but still..

I don't know if we're thinking of the same phase, mine might have been more like two years ago, but I noticed the same thing...and it was during a weird phase where a lot of (very vocal) people had decided to do lowfat or even WW instead. So maybe it was the same cause as the WW boards (which sounds like the worst example of lack of internet moderation): it was hunger making everyone nasty.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 07:06

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne2

I don't know if we're thinking of the same phase, mine might have been more like two years ago, but I noticed the same thing...and it was during a weird phase where a lot of (very vocal) people had decided to do lowfat or even WW instead. So maybe it was the same cause as the WW boards (which sounds like the worst example of lack of internet moderation): it was hunger making everyone nasty.

LOL You are probably most definitely right! And now that I think about it, it was way more than a year ago. Trying to set up a time line based on where I lived when it happened.. it was about 2 yrs ago or a little less.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 09:13
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne2

and/or....they were trying to combine LC/LF AND low calorie to boot. Talk about mean, if I did that, I'd bite the head off a toddler.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 12:42

Plan: >60 carbs, 1500 cals
Stats: 175/159/135 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora
I tried WW about three years ago thinking the support would be the key to my finally losing weight. I went on the boards and the people there were HORRIBLE.

A lot of people, including myself, have had similar experiences with the WW boards. I frequently hear them described as "toxic." I'm often non-plussed with the level of discourse in weight loss forums, but WW is pretty much the worst I've ever seen.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with the level of discourse here.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 19:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
I remember a year or so back when I tried coming back to these boards, most of the long-timers were being super rude to the newbies who asked questions and just over-all so moody. I believe it was around winter time so I wrote it off as some sort of seasonal affective disorder and people were just more moody. I wasn't the only one who noticed and 3 other people messaged me after sticking up for a new person saying they were leaving the boards because it was hard to find someone supportive. Now, it wasn't NEARLY as bad as what you describe on the WW board, but still..

As for bananas.. LOL I just hate bananas Hate them so very, very much. Unless they're a quarter green with absolutely NO BROWN speckles! I don't know a ton of people who even eat them, though. That's all I was basing my comment on :-D

I stand corrected! And I see where everyone's saying it isn't LC (WW that is) but it is nicer that they're focusing more on protein.

When I first started on these boards I noticed the same level of rudeness. I was scared to ask a question or make a comment for fear of getting ridiculed. I quit Atkins and these boards gained the weight back and returned. I find it very different now, most of the people that I found rude are not posting any longer. It is a really great place to come and chat now.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-11, 20:22

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I'm 56, have maintained for over eight years...all on lowcarb.

I just wanted to say to the OP that I am currently working on a degree in nutrition science. I'm really hoping that I can help those clients who are looking for 'the right way to eat'. I hope that I have the type of clients that know what 'suits them'....as you did.

I wouldn't 'push' lowcarb on anyone who isn't 'right for it'...but neither would I steer someone with PCOS (or almost any metabolic misfunction/endocrine related) to a lowerfat/higher carb type of program.

I hope you have wonderful success with your new way of life!

Pam