Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 10:49

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Wanting To Excercise But No Energy

I have gotten off the LC track for a while and I am getting back on today. I would like to start excercising, but have found in the past that I don't have energy and will totally "drop" with exertion with any more than a calm walk. I have tried excercising and simply couldn't for more than a few minutes. When I eat Low Calorie, I can work out without loosing my energy.

Is this normal? I don't like the sudden "tired" feeling so I want to know if this will pass? Common problem? Supplements that would help?

My main goal is to loose 70 lbs, but I would like to look gook naked when all this is done too.

Any input would be welcome!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 13:00

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I have this problem and it comes from having adrenal fatigue. When your adrenals aren't working right complete exhaustion is just one of the problems but it is the most obvious.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 14:32

BF:

How do you fix the adrenal glands? How do you get a doctor to help?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 15:07

BF:

I looked up adrenal gland failure and it looked like were lacking vit B5 and sodium.

Vit B5 is needed to help metabolise fats, carbs and protiens and you need more if your stressed. People that eat processed foods are usually low.

As for the sodium, when we eat whole foods, we arn't getting as much, could play a part. Same with Potasium.

I will keep reading up.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 15:43

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I'm not sure how long you've been doing LC...are you in Induction? A lot of people in the past have noted an energy dip during the first several days of Induction followed by an energy surge and general feeling of well-being.

When I did induction 5+ years ago I had to take a nap every afternoon for the first 4 or 5 days. I was just whipped! But after that my energy level was higher than it had been in years. I didn't start doing any exercise for probably the first 3 or 4 months, though. I was so fat that my knees ached and I had a lot of back pain. Once I'd gotten down to a more comfortable weight, then I began with walking and worked up to doing the elliptical machine....eventually I ran in a 5K when I'd been LCing x 15 months.

Take your time...you'll get there if you remain consistent.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
How do you fix the adrenal glands? How do you get a doctor to help?
I had the saliva test and then took it to my doctor, a naturopath who treated me. If you experience the fatigue just when you are on induction then it is probably induction flu, like mammac said, and will go away but if it lasts longer then I would suspect your adrenals.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 15:52

Quote:
I looked up adrenal gland failure and it looked like were lacking vit B5 and sodium.
I don't know aboaut that. The Dr. put me on several adrenal supplements along with B complex and others plus gave me B12 shots for about a month. It really made a difference.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 20:53

BF:

The induction flu has hit!! This very well may have been the reason I couldn't excercise while in ketosis. I read that it could last several weeks (hope not) before I got relief and had lots of energy.

Thanks for your thoughts!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-10, 14:13

Plan: VLC
Stats: 208/202/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I was weak and unable to exercise for close to 4 weeks when I started Atkins. Before that I was running, doing a spin class and lifting weights, each a couple times a week. I thought something was seriously wrong with me. Thankfully as I got used to the change I was able to start back up. I think for some people it just takes longer to adjust.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-10, 23:38

BF:

Yesterday I couldn't even hold a book up much less chore the horses. Today is much better. HB took care of all the heavy lifting with chores, I got to go out there and pet them

This is the worst that I have had induction flu, I am actually doing really well in the fact that my cravings have been minimal. Hopefully, I can stick with LC this time, loose the weight and keep with LC the rest of my life.\

I am going to wait at least a month before I try excercising. No point in upsetting myself and getting off track again.

Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-10, 06:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/269/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Yesterday I couldn't even hold a book up much less chore the horses. Today is much better. HB took care of all the heavy lifting with chores, I got to go out there and pet them

This is the worst that I have had induction flu, I am actually doing really well in the fact that my cravings have been minimal. Hopefully, I can stick with LC this time, loose the weight and keep with LC the rest of my life.\

I am going to wait at least a month before I try excercising. No point in upsetting myself and getting off track again.

Thanks!

possible that it's not induction flu but the real thing? Take it easy, and maybe up your veggies. Eat some avocado filled with potassium, green beans with bacon or ham, home made chicken veggie soup.

I have days when I feel like I have "lead legs." Usually it is low potassium (I think) because an avocado (I eat the whole thing -- no portion control in my brain cells) will do the trick of deleading my legs
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-10, 08:56

BF:

It could have been the real flu bug, but besides lethargic, and mushy muscles, there were no other symptoms. That and my kids didn't get anything. We share everything around here!

My muscles still are jelloey if I push it to hard, I'm sure it will rectify itself one way or ether.

I did start taking my vitamins today, got them all put together for the week. That may help things also.

As for the Avacodo, thats a very nice suggestion, but I can't stand them. My son is sapposed to try new foods, its threw a school program. We have to try the Avacodo at least 2x a year. I still don't like the flavor, but thanks for the suggestion.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-10, 11:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/269/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
It could have been the real flu bug, but besides lethargic, and mushy muscles, there were no other symptoms. That and my kids didn't get anything. We share everything around here!

My muscles still are jelloey if I push it to hard, I'm sure it will rectify itself one way or ether.

I did start taking my vitamins today, got them all put together for the week. That may help things also.

As for the Avacodo, thats a very nice suggestion, but I can't stand them. My son is sapposed to try new foods, its threw a school program. We have to try the Avacodo at least 2x a year. I still don't like the flavor, but thanks for the suggestion.

have you tried making it into guacamole? you could dip pork rinds in it!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-10, 19:58

BF:

Guacamole, I can honestly say that I have never had it. I may look into a recipe, I do like pork rinds and a low carb dip is always a plus. Thanks

I'm far from lifting weights, but today I did venture out into the horse pen and shovel poop for an hour. I had to stop a few times and rest a bit, but I filled all the poop cans! I'm only 4 days behind, I hope to finish playing catch-up tomorrow and keep up with it after that. Oh, I always say that and get behind.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-10, 14:30

Plan: VLC
Stats: 208/202/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thought you might want to check out this discussion. I was having same problems and some of these suggestions really helped me out. I feel much better now - and actually got back to running today!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=406237