Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 17:35

Plan: Pimentel for IBS
Stats: 107/156/168 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default About to return to Low-Carb after 7 months of Zero-Carb

Hello. I am new to this forum, though not new to LC.

I am a 54-year-old male. Starting sometime in my late childhood I developed chronic diarrhea and, slowly, found it accompanied with lots of burping.

In the late 1970s and onwards, I followed the latest "knowledge" and avoided meat. My symptoms slowly got worse.

Sometime in the mid- or late-80s I heard Elaine Gottschall, the creator of the so-called Specific Carbohydrate Diet on the radio. I bought her book (then titled Food and the Gut Reaction) and tried her diet.

She was not anti-carb. But she was anti-grain and anti-legume. In order to survive on her diet, I had to learn how to cook and eat meat daily. Her diet failed me miserably. I was pigging out on nuts and nut butters and fruits and vegetables. But I could sense that it was good to eat meat.

So, I went off on my own to experiment. At that time, I thought that the only reason to eat low-carb was to lose weight. I had been underweight my entire life, so I ignored the low-carb gurus.

I started experimenting with meat-based eating and noticed an immediate improvement in my diarrhea, though not in the burping. I also gained weight, and by "weight," I mean muscle. I looked much, much healthier once I started eating low-carb.

After going low-carb, I tried for a few months eating only meat and low-carb vegetables. But, if anything, my diarrhea increased.

Fast forward to about 2006. I read a book by Mark Pimentel called A New IBS Solution. His thesis is that people with digestive symptoms similar to mine have a bacterial infection in their small intestines. His theory is the same as Elaine Gottschall's. But his prescription was quite different.

First, I tried the antibiotic he recommends. And there was no help. Then, twice in 2 years I tried the artificial, factory-made "elemental diet" he recommends (Vivonex Plus). Again, no help.

He also recommends a diet that gave me significant benefit. The big insight I got from his diet was to stay away from whole grains. OK, I had done that before, and it didn't help. But, he said, refined grains, in amounts of 1/2 - 1 cup/meal can be good. And, lo and behold, he was right.

This diet, combined with the newly released probiotic called Align, by Procter and Gamble, completely ended my diarrhea. Though my burping remained.

Ever desirous to fix the burping, I decided in November 2007 to try once more to eat no refined grains, dairy, or legumes. For more than 6 months, my diarrhea and cramping got worse. I figured that my symptoms had to have been caused by the remaining carbs in my diet. So, on June 6, 2009, I went zero carb (ZC). I ate only meat. I had eggs a few times in the first 6 months, but, other than that, it was only meat and water.

After 6 months were up, I tried adding coconut oil. No help. I decided to take some very strong antibiotics--Flagyl (500 mg 3/day for 9.3 days and Cipro 500 mg 2/day for 7 days). Again, no help. It appears that for me LC with limited quantities of refined grain is far superior to ZC, VLC, or Paleo-type diets.

In the coming days, I will have completed 7 months of ZC. I just bought a blood glucose meter. I want to stay on ZC for a few more days so I can take frequent glucose readings and establish some data points for ZC. (I have to wait till the Flagyl clears my system before I can swab my fingers with alcohol.) After I am satisfied that I have some data, I am planning on leaving ZC and going back to LC with not much other than meat and fat with white flour or rice or potatoes.

Since I have had no grains for more than a year, I will introduce them very slowly and in tiny amounts.

I know that this was quite long-winded, but I wanted to give a thorough account of where I stand and what brought me to this forum.

I have learned an enormous amount from forums like this. I think it is important that I document my own experiences for others who might be able to learn something from them.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 18:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 374/297/168 Female 5ft 2in
BF:Um yes
Progress: 37%

Welcome, Moises it is good that you are documenting for others, might I suggest you start a journal also. The instructions are on a sticky on this board. You have had quite a time, I have psoriasis and I have also gotten the diet run around in attempting to find a solution. I have read somewhere on here about others who have quit various LC plans because of excessive burping. There must be something going on there. Good luck on LC.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 20:30

BF:

Hi LC Mermaid. Thanks for the welcome.

This site is great. The numbers of people on it are vast. I am not used to having other people acknowledge burping as a problem, since, even among IBSers, it is uncommon as a symptom, and most treat it as trivial.

I will take up your advice and start a journal.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

My condolences on adding the carbs . I still like you anyway, Moises!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 21:39
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Why would you need to finish your Flagyl prior to taking your BS.

It's alcohol such as ETOH not rubbing alcohol that you shouldn't use while on Flagyl. ETOH use while taking Flagyl will cause an antibuse type reaction---nausea, vomiting etc. You're pretty safe using an alcohol swab for your fingers--unless you're using Jack Daniels

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 07:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowcarb
My condolences on adding the carbs . I still like you anyway, Moises!

Well, it'll be a while before I actually start eating them. But that day will come, inevitably.

I am glad to know that you'll still be my friend.

I would have much preferred to have continued ZC. But my body was screaming to me to stop.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 07:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Why would you need to finish your Flagyl prior to taking your BS.

It's alcohol such as ETOH not rubbing alcohol that you shouldn't use while on Flagyl. ETOH use while taking Flagyl will cause an antibuse type reaction---nausea, vomiting etc. You're pretty safe using an alcohol swab for your fingers--unless you're using Jack Daniels

Lisa

Hey Lisa,

Thanks for helping me out with this alcohol question.

Is hand sanitizer ETOH? I have read of reactions from that. My knowledge of chemistry, as you can tell, is extremely limited. And perhaps the hand sanitizers reactions were exaggerated. But I'd rather not find out by personal experience. After 7 months, what's a few more days?

Last edited by moises : Mon, Jan-04-10 at 07:41.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 09:29
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moises
Hey Lisa,

Thanks for helping me out with this alcohol question.

Is hand sanitizer ETOH? I have read of reactions from that. My knowledge of chemistry, as you can tell, is extremely limited. And perhaps the hand sanitizers reactions were exaggerated. But I'd rather not find out by personal experience. After 7 months, what's a few more days?

ETOH=
Jack
Jim
Stoli
Tanq
Malibu
Myers

You get the idea.....

Alcohol in your wipes or in your medicine cabinet=
Isopropyl

I prescribe Flagyl for patients all the time. I have NEVER heard of staying away from Isopropyl--unless you're drinking it, then that will make you blind
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 09:30
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Well, it'll be a while before I actually start eating them. But that day will come, inevitably.

I would have much preferred to have continued ZC. But my body was screaming to me to stop.

Sometimes our smarter than we are. Listen to your body.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 10:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
ETOH=
Jack
Jim
Stoli
Tanq
Malibu
Myers

You get the idea.....

Alcohol in your wipes or in your medicine cabinet=
Isopropyl

I prescribe Flagyl for patients all the time. I have NEVER heard of staying away from Isopropyl--unless you're drinking it, then that will make you blind

OK. I am convinced. I am whipping out the hidden hand sanitizer. Now I have to read the instructions on how to take blood glucose. Never did this before. Never really cared. But my 5.9% A1C got me curious.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 12:29

BF:

I measured my blood glucose and am very confused. But I'll continue this thread in my journal.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 15:27
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
I measured my blood glucose and am very confused. But I'll continue this thread in my journal.

Noooooo.....continue......

What was it???
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 16:13

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Hi Moises!

I too have had a lot of problems with burping and diarrhea. The diarrhea comes and goes - sometimes I think I've got it figured out and then it comes back. But oddly, even when it comes back, I still have only one BM per day most times.

The burping got significantly worse in the fall of 2008, concident with a meal of spaghetti squash, tomato sauce and meatballs. That was the last time I had squash or tomatoes. Also at that time I started a desk job, which I suspect has contributed to the problem.

Right now I'm doing IF and nearly-carnivore. I still use spices, lemon juice and occasionally sauerkraut. I avoid dairy and gluten pretty carefully, but I use ghee in some dishes for the rest of the family because I don't think it bothers me.

I'm grateful that I never tried any supplements or antibiotics or frankenfoods for the problem - I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with them.

No doubt we have SIBO or a stomach overgrowth. My GI doc suspects H. Pylori but I haven't taken the test. I'm willing to live with it for the time being until I think of another solution, because my body seems pretty happy otherwise. But I've been considering Dr. K's diet, which includes starch. I probably wouldn't eat wheat - because of my gluten sensitivity, rice - because my wife is allergic to it, or potatoes - because I think I react to nightshades, but sometimes I think I could add carrots, turnips and radishes to my diet, perhaps some of them fermented. I do love kimchi.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:

You have to do what is best for YOUR body, Moises. I hope you find something to aid your digestion.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 17:25

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%