Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/152.5/135 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 42%
Default Alternatives to Psyllium Husks

Okay so I have tried and I wretch EVERYTIME. I put a tablespoon in water. Is this essential, is there something else I can take or can I take this an alternate way - capsule form????? I can not stand this stuff.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 08:03
Registered Member

Plan: N/A
Stats: 127/127/127 Male 165cm
BF:
Progress:

I don't know about you, but I eat brown rice everyday and that keeps me pretty darn regular
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 10:29

Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I thought psyllium husks and brown rice were not allowed on this diet. Psyllium husks because they're fermented and brown rice because of all of the carbs. Am I wrong to believe this?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 10:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default SF metmucil

I've tried SF metamucil. Don't know if it slow down the weight loss, but it sure keeps the mail moving. I use about 3 tablespoons a day.

Rob
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 13:11
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom873
I thought psyllium husks and brown rice were not allowed on this diet. Psyllium husks because they're fermented and brown rice because of all of the carbs. Am I wrong to believe this?

I don't follow any low carb diet Tom. I still eat brown rice and fruits and some grains (like oats and museli).

I eat brown rice because it is healthier than white rice, plus the extra fiber content helps keep me regular (which is important if you are trying to beat Candida too). Also I live in Asia now, where rice is a staple of the diet. Over here it's either rice or noodles. I prefer rice so I opt for the brown rice.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 15:39

BF:
Progress:

I love rice too, KT12. Especially, brown basmati rice. In fact, I'm craving some right now. However, I just feel uncomfortable eating it at this time.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-09, 09:40
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I love rice too, KT12. Especially, brown basmati rice. In fact, I'm craving some right now. However, I just feel uncomfortable eating it at this time.

This is why I do not follow a Candida diet. There are just too many conflicting ones out there. I found these 4 websites that say brown rice is o.k. to eat.

http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/candida-diet.html

http://www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com/candidadiet.html

http://www.annecollins.com/foods-for-candida-diet.htm

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/foodstoeat.htm

I have been eating rice all my life Tom. Of course that was White Rice. I switched to brown rice about a year ago because it's more healthy. I was diagnosed with Candida 2 years ago. I haven't had a relapse since I was treated with the antifungals.

I say if you want to eat brown rice, then eat brown rice.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-09, 13:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/154.5/135 Female 5'5"
BF:38.8%
Progress: 51%

I was diagnosed with Candida 2 years ago. I haven't had a relapse since I was treated with the antifungals.

Which antifungasl did you take? I am on the 4th dayof the Candida Clear and most of my symptoms seem to have subsided. I have followed the diet pretty well for 1 1/2 weeks now and started the antifungasl (phase in approach) on Friday (1x3 days, 2x3 and then 3x3). You attribute the rice to keeping you regular then eh? I like rice and I find it difficult to get alot of grain that is allowed in on this thing. I'll try that as the pysullium husks is just awful.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-09, 14:54

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteranac
I'll try that as the pysullium husks is just awful.

Besides, aren't psyullium husks fermented?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-09, 20:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Which antifungasl did you take?

I didn't use natural antifungals. My doctor prescribed me Fluconazole 200mg for 14 days. Personally I believe if you have Candida overgrowth, the natural antifungals aren't strong enough to kill it off quickly or effectively. However, I do believe the natural antifungals are important to keeping your body clear of a Candida overgrowth once you come off the prescription antifungals. That's why I eat probiotics, yogurt with live active cultures, and virgin coconut oil on a regular basis.

Quote:
Besides, aren't psyullium husks fermented?
Fermented foods are good Tom, not bad. They contain beneficial bacteria that is necessary to keep our gut flora healthy (which in turn will keep the Candida from growing and proliferating.) Foods like kefir and sauerkraut are fermented and they are great to add to the diet if you are trying to keep Candida away.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 11:06

BF:
Progress:

Thanks KT12. I was under the impression that fermented foods weren't allowed due to all the vinegar and yogurt controversy.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 13:58
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Thanks KT12. I was under the impression that fermented foods weren't allowed due to all the vinegar and yogurt controversy.

Where did you hear that yogurt was bad? This is like one of the best foods to eat in order to get good probiotic bacteria in your gut. The only time they don't suggest eating it is if you have an intolerance to it, but most people who are lactose intolerant are able to handle yogurt because of the good bacteria in it.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-09, 09:48
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 185/173/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Anybody have good results with lemons? I've been eating 2 lemons a day and wow! I've been going to the bathroom 2 times a day since. To where I was only going once every 2 days. I could actually see yeast in my stool. Sorry but I had to look.

I figured since yeast likes sugar so much why not try some things that are sour. The first day I started eating lemons they were really sour but now I'm starting to get a taste for them. When I think about it I used to eat lemons all the time but in the past few years I haven't ate any.

Maybe it was my cravings for sugar all the time. Who knows. I'm almost 2 weeks into my diet and I feel pretty good. I'll be getting some antifungals here soon with the help of a friend to make sure I kill all the yeast. But in the meantime I'm staying clear away from all sugars. It's hard right here at Christmas but to me my health is more important than m&ms..lol!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-09, 09:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/154.5/135 Female 5'5"
BF:38.8%
Progress: 51%

Hey Justin1984

Glad to hear. I always use lemon on my salads and I put it into my water at night as well. I have added pure cranberry juice at night with my probiotic to help flush out my kidneys too. Very sour but drinkable. ANything but those husks!!! YUCK!!!

To comment on your movements I too have looked but am not able to see if it is the sunflowers seed or yeast. Who knows

I am feeling better though. I do notice that I did start to feel a little bit worse once I started the antifungals (Candida Clear by NOW) and on the second day of increasing the dose I feel a little off. I phased in so to not totally disrupt my life as I was very weak in the morning, headaches, shaky and tired.

Let us know how you do.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-09, 12:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I do notice that I did start to feel a little bit worse once I started the antifungals (Candida Clear by NOW) and on the second day of increasing the dose I feel a little off...
What are the ingredients in that Candida Clear by NOW? Is it a natural antifungal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1984
Anybody have good results with lemons? I've been eating 2 lemons a day and wow! I've been going to the bathroom 2 times a day since. To where I was only going once every 2 days. I could actually see yeast in my stool. Sorry but I had to look.
I've heard lemons are good but i've never tried them. The are quite acidic, but I have read they have an alkalizing effect on the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1984
I'm almost 2 weeks into my diet and I feel pretty good. I'll be getting some antifungals here soon with the help of a friend to make sure I kill all the yeast. But in the meantime I'm staying clear away from all sugars. It's hard right here at Christmas but to me my health is more important than m&ms..lol!
Glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm kinda glad I live in Thailand now. Since Christmas is not really celebrated here, I don't have to deal with all the tempting Christmas foods! LOL