Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 18:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default The "I am so bored with Low Carb Food" thread

Ok, I thought maybe those of us who have tackled this subject over and over could put together a thread of ideas and suggestions for the hoards who find they're bored with low carb eating. Clearly they just need inspiration and we got it for them, what say you?

First off let me say I have dietary restrictions that probably make most people's look very liberal. I can't eat anything with gluten period. I avoid dairy and legumes and all other grains, sugar, excesses starch. I loosely follow a "paleo" diet.

I've got quite a few recipes and what-not in my blog "Mostly Paleo".

This time of the year I like making stew and chili. I have a recipe book called "300 Stew Recipes". I also have Karen Barnaby's low carb cook book (amazing recipes!)

I'll post more later!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 19:04

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Oh, I am glad u started this thread. I am not bored per se, but recently bought a box of flax meal and have no damn idea what to do with it. Anyone got any good recipes? I'm pretty lenient w carbs...

As far as being bored w this woe, a big help for me has been protein shakes. They provide what I miss from carby snacks: convenience and sweetness. If any of u r up the carb ladder lc tortillas are great.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 20:02
Experimenter

BF:

One thing it seems like a lot of people miss out on the fact we have an enormous conpendium of low carb recipes that are amazing! Just go to the main forum screen and scroll down a bit.

You'll find tons of flax bread recipes in the breads section. You might want to try oopsie rolls, very popular!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sun, Dec-06-09 at 20:07.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 20:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/198/165 Female 5'10"
BF:single ;)
Progress: 0%

i can't wait to look at all of the recipes......i wish there was something chewy, or something for my chocolate cravings....
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 20:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 374/297/168 Female 5ft 2in
BF:Um yes
Progress: 37%

Nancy another great thread idea! What I try to do for boredom or the crazy cravings is to go to the recipe forums and look for either something close to what I'm craving at the moment or something that is totally different from my regular rut food. Sometimes just browesing the recipes is enough to tell me that I am bored because of some other reason, like I'm feeling reckless and I am using boredom as an exuse to eat off plan. I want to add to anyone who hasn't been to the recipe boards that there are tons of simple 2-5 min recipes and lots of microwave in a bowl type recipes too.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 20:11
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

I really like Linda's recipe site as well - lots of excellent main dish and other ideas as well chocolate yummies on there!

But ALC still has loads of great recipes...I'm always browsing our forum.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 20:19
Experimenter

BF:

Here is another thread that someone posted with lots of good replies.

I think a very common theme is that we can chose to take control of our situation or we can give up control and be bitter and depressed instead.

Low Carb success is so depressing....

Some great advice in this thread too

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sun, Dec-06-09 at 21:31.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 20:21
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Is this more menu ideas or recipes?

or what we had for dinner/lunch type posts?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 20:23
Experimenter

BF:

Here's something from my blog about my own experience with "boredom" (which isn't really boredom).

Quote:
I don't get bored on a limited selection of food, or at least on the set of foods I currently eat. I have a suspicion that what people usually identify as boredom really isn't boredom. At least that was true for me. I get a kind of restlessness sometimes where I will want something I can't have, like salted nuts or peanut butter or worse.

I know I have plenty of foods I like, but they're not the foods I'm presently craving. If you asked me previously to identify what the source of my discontent is, I'd say "I'm bored with these foods". But on further reflection, I know that isn't right. I love the foods I have available to eat and at meal times I eat them happily. But I'm hungry and hunger is good sauce. Everything tastes wonderful, I'm fully satisfied and contented after a meal and food is far from my mind. Absolutely no boredom with mealtimes.

But come the snacking hour (between bed time and dinner time) that restlessness sends me scurrying to the pantry looking for forbidden eats. That is not boredom... it is cravings.

I think really people normally eat very limited diets. But they're not aware of the limitations so they don't pay them any mind. However when they go on a diet, they're suddenly quite aware of their new limitations and mentally that makes them uncomfortable and they look for escape clauses.

I've given up foods for 2 reasons. One is that some make me ill like gluten, chocolate, nuts, seeds (*cry*) and dairy. The other list is ones that make me fat. The fat ones seem to set off binges so bringing them back "in moderation" just isn't going to happen.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 20:24
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Is this more menu ideas or recipes?

or what we had for dinner/lunch type posts?

I think your posts about what you're eating are truly inspiring and you could definitely help people by posting stuff like that!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 20:54
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think your posts about what you're eating are truly inspiring and you could definitely help people by posting stuff like that!

ahhhh...you are too sweet.

My problem is I hate fast food, I refuse to eat frozen already prepared food, and I hate crappy food. I would have to say that everything I cook usually takes 1/2 hour or less.

The unfortunate thing is that if you're going to eat well on low carb with good variety....

YOU WILL HAVE TO COOK.

YOU WILL HAVE TO GO GROCERY SHOPPING.

By cooking and preparing your own food, not only will you know exactly what you're eating--no sneaky hidden carbs--but you will also get the variety, which lately has been a huge issue with this LC WOE as seen by all the new threads relating lack of variety.

Soooo.... Let's get started.

Tonights dinner:

Pan roasted chiken breast (bone in with skin) with fresh cranberry relish--30 minutes.

Green Beans--blanched then cooked in the chicken fat that was cooked off the breast. A big sprinkle of Penzy's Fox Point seasoning.

Glass of Ironstone white wine. Lemon cheesecake mousse.

Entire time--30 minutes.

Penzy's Fox Point Seasoning
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penz...ysfoxpoint.html

Lisa

Progress not perfection.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 21:18
Experimenter

BF:

Ooh, the seasoning sounds good. I always liked Penzey's Sunny Paris mix.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 22:17

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I recall reading something, I don't recall where, a few years back about boredom with foods on low-carb plans. The author pretty much took a different view: think back to when you ate high-carb. Think about how much (i.e., little) variety you had in those meals. Chances are, you ate the same things, week after week, with very little variety and change. If you want something else, you are free to eat it.

So, now you've shifted to a different eating plan, one that prohibits certain foods. You fix meals and, surprise, you gravitate toward the same recipes/menus week after week. Except now, you realize, your plan prohibits you from eating other things. So you decide you are "bored" when in reality, you just want something you'd already made a conscious decision to do without.

The difference before "meals while not eating low carb" and "meals while eating low carb" is one of wanting something you can't have (something YOU decided you can't have). It's not boredom with your current menus/recipes. It just feels like boredom because you think you want something you've made a decision to not eat.

Analyze how you really feel, IF you truly are "bored" with what you are eating, make a menu - with different recipes each day. The base of each recipe may be the same (chicken, beef, pork, seafood) but you can change up the sauces, spices, methods of cooking, etc.

All that aside, I have to say, I had better success sticking to low carb when I ate a VERY limited menu. I'm talking: rotisserie chicken, mayo and shredded cheese or tuna, mayo and shredded cheese every single day for lunch and dinner, with a turkey leg or steak or eggs/bacon once or twice per week. I did that menu for months on end. I did not get bored. But, at the time, I was an over-the-road trucker and that worked for me. Every few days, I'd stop at a Wal-Mart Supercenter and pick up a chicken. The mayo, cheese and tuna I stocked up on once a month. The turkey legs, steaks, eggs/bacon, I had when I felt like being sociable and ate a restaurant/truck stop. I was able to cook in the truck (butane burner) so once in a while (especially if I was laid over or on a short trip with lots of time) I cooked in the truck. But that was rare. Anyway, I did not get bored.

Just my two cents ...

Last edited by Gypsybyrd : Mon, Dec-07-09 at 17:27. Reason: Typed "port" instead of "pork"
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 00:09
Every day is day one

BF:

Gypsy--Great post.

I really like the part about boredom and choice.

So maybe it really isn't boredom, but boredom with the choice to LC and not have <insert food here>?

I also find that I eat the same 6-7 meals over and over. I like them. My favorites that I can think of over the past month usually--pan seared scallops, bone in roasted chicken breast, steak either plain or with some type of topping, ground bison portabello burgers with BBQ sauce and cheese, scrambled eggs & lox lunch, sometime of fish like salmon or halibut usally pan seared.

I find it inspiration that you did it day to day while trucking.

Last edited by cnmLisa : Mon, Dec-07-09 at 00:17.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 08:35

Plan: general LC
Stats: 202/144/135 Female 62 inches
BF:grr, no i FF
Progress: 87%

ok the flax thing. i got a recipe ~ here ~ for a pumpkin cream cheese roll. i forgot the pumpkin (der) and used chocolate syrup instead of maple, and it tasted like a choc cake.

as far as chocolatey chewy, i make ~ these ~ protein bars and get a little liberal with my syrup. this allows the bars to be a fudge like consistency. that's how i get by