Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 17:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/153/155 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 108%
Default Low Carb success is so depressing....

I never thought I would say this:

This way of eating is depressing the heck out of me. I have been eating this way for a couple years and I am quite happy with my weight management. I am not, however, happy with the eating choices. I eat within plan and I know what my body can tolerate and I eat as much variety as allowable...

Through the years, I have gone off plan with the typical results ---Wild cravings, the loss of a sense of portion size and, of course, weight gain. So I reel myself back in and get back on track.

The thing is, I don't really crave the pies and cakes, but the freewheeling desire of CHOICE -- or in other words, the ABILITY to eat the things I like rather than ACTUALLy eating the things I like.

I realized this during Thanksgiving. And it just summed up my life as a low carber. Depressing, but successful. So my only options are 1)at target weight and bored and bummed out or 2)overweight and stressed and bummed-out about it.... LOL --- I choose the former but, man, I wish there was a better third choice...

(just venting folks...I guess, the feeling is a little like getting old - it sucks, but it beats the alternative)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 17:59

Plan: Keto and IF
Stats: 181.3/180.6/160 Female 5' 6"
BF:-63.1/-21.3 to go
Progress: 3%

Venting....that's what we're here for, to listen. I think your only saying what others have thought as well. I myself have thought...omg to never be able to have______. But your so right when it comes to the alternative this way is much better. You have made great progress and sticking to it for 2 yrs, that's an even bigger accomplishment Hang in there and Thanks for sharing
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 18:24

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I've been maintaining for years too, and the main thing that has kept me on track is trying my darndest to cook as much of a variety of food as I can, and still stay within my own dietary restrictions. Sometimes this involves a little bit more time and money than is convenient, but it keeps my mind and body happier.

Abreviated version: If you dont already know how to cook well, learn. and if you are already a good cook, make some extra effort to learn new recipes and maybe more exotic low carb foods so your mind doesnt feel so left out.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 18:27
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmaxmax
I never thought I would say this:

This way of eating is depressing the heck out of me. I have been eating this way for a couple years and I am quite happy with my weight management. I am not, however, happy with the eating choices. I eat within plan and I know what my body can tolerate and I eat as much variety as allowable...

Through the years, I have gone off plan with the typical results ---Wild cravings, the loss of a sense of portion size and, of course, weight gain. So I reel myself back in and get back on track.

The thing is, I don't really crave the pies and cakes, but the freewheeling desire of CHOICE -- or in other words, the ABILITY to eat the things I like rather than ACTUALLy eating the things I like.

I realized this during Thanksgiving. And it just summed up my life as a low carber. Depressing, but successful. So my only options are 1)at target weight and bored and bummed out or 2)overweight and stressed and bummed-out about it.... LOL --- I choose the former but, man, I wish there was a better third choice...

(just venting folks...I guess, the feeling is a little like getting old - it sucks, but it beats the alternative)

I'm sorry you're feeling like this....

But.....

I just don't get this. I've been a long time low carber--since 2002--and just don't get, "I don't like the food choices mantra" that I hear so often. I don't get why you're eating food that you don't like???!!! Geezz.. that's enough to make me want to go off plan if the thought is I have to eat food that I don't like for the rest of my life.

Sooooo.....

What's the problem??

Is it that you are not an adventurous cook and you're eating the same 5 1/2 dishes all the time???
If that's the issue, don't you think now is the time to think out of the box a bit???

Is it that you are now greiving for the foods that you know are unhealthful for your body and make you fat, bloated, not feeling well???

Well, my answer to that is why would you want to get fat again, feel bloated/unwell etc?

Is it that you went thru Thanksgiving and you wish you were a "normal" person and could eat like "normal" people?? and that your family members/friends/loved ones were either pushing food on you that you know isn't healthful for you, or were you lamenting the stuffing??

There are a lot of psychological issues that surround not only LCing but eating in general.

Personally, I can (hope) I have finally seen the light, and the "light" is not the standard american diet.

Can you tell us what is sooooo depressing about this WOE?? Perhaps it's something that could easily be remedied with a bit of outside the box thinking.

I just had a beautiful filet--medium rare, with carmelized red onion/mushroom/gorgonzola melange, 3 oz blackberries, 2 glasses of an ESSER carbernet, and a lemon cheesecake mousse for dinner. That's depressing???!

Talk to us.

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 18:31

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
I am not, however, happy with the eating choices. I eat within plan and I know what my body can tolerate and I eat as much variety as allowable...

Looking at your stats, you are below your goal weight - I don't know what your intolerances are but on Atkins maintenance level there are no limits to the allowable variety, although some things still have to be portion controlled.
Quote:

Have you checked out the recipes part of the forum? There are great low-carb adaptations of a lot of wonderful treats as well as a huge variety of veggie and meat dishes. I think the recipe section is my favourite part of the board!
Quote:

If you've got reasonable health, there's nothing about getting old that sucks! Trust me on that one!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 19:41

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:

I don't get it. What makes you think you can't eat the things you like? All you have to do is buy them, put them in your mouth, chew and swallow. Every day you chose not to eat them because they aren't good for you, but you can eat them. Unless you were required to eat lowcarb by law or restaurants and supermarkets were refusing to sell you food, it's your choice.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 19:54
Never Give Up!!

Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I think I can sort of relate to the original post. It's not that I don't like my day to day foods, its the realization you cannot just eat whatever you want. I'll never be able to sit down for morning donuts with my coworkers... I'll be eating salads for lunch everytime we get take out ... I'll never be able to eat a slice of birthday cake at parties... Low carb foods are great, but lets get real, there are restrictions.

But hey... that's life!! If I want to be skinny and healthier than most people I know, then that's my choice. I choose to be healthier and happier for it. When I get down about this way of eating, I just have to remind myself - my happiness is much more worth that donut or other forbidden food. I think some people just get stuck in the mentality that they want what they cannot have. And get down about it. I get it. Your human... and allowed to vent.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 20:18

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'm going to cut and paste from another post I wrote for the "Psychology of Deviant Eating" thread.

Quote:
Here is another reason why we shouldn't feel victimized. I don't have any hard facts to back it up, but I'd wager that nearly everyone who are on the standard, highly industrialized diet, is killing themselves. We are the ones who gain weight, but other people develop diabetes, gout, high blood pressure, cancer, heart disease. Maybe we are the lucky ones, because obesity isn't as bad as cancer and, what with our problem being visible and a social issue, we can't ignore it as easily as some can ignore high blood pressure and diabetes, which some people have and don't even know it. Or worse, people like my brother believe that they must be healthy since they are slim and stuff themselves with sweets and other junk food as if they were immune to it. We know exactly where our problem lies. Would any of you know anything about nutrition if you could stay at your ideal weight with no effort? Would you even know that low-fat is bad, that fat is not the enemy?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 190/150/140 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Isn't it funny that we can do without some things we like without any problem, and others not so well. I rather enjoy most any sports car, but it doesn't bother me that I drive a compact. Why should it be different with food I like, but don't eat anymore. I like the foods I do eat. In fact, I like them a lot.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 21:47

Stats: 276/234.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia Mae
I think I can sort of relate to the original post. It's not that I don't like my day to day foods, its the realization you cannot just eat whatever you want. I'll never be able to sit down for morning donuts with my coworkers... I'll be eating salads for lunch everytime we get take out ... I'll never be able to eat a slice of birthday cake at parties... Low carb foods are great, but lets get real, there are restrictions.

But hey... that's life!! If I want to be skinny and healthier than most people I know, then that's my choice. I choose to be healthier and happier for it. When I get down about this way of eating, I just have to remind myself - my happiness is much more worth that donut or other forbidden food. I think some people just get stuck in the mentality that they want what they cannot have. And get down about it. I get it. Your human... and allowed to vent.

Expressed my very thinking.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 23:28
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Max--

you might want to peruse this thread started by RightNow. It touches on some of the same issues are experiencing.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/newreply...ote=1&p=7961616
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 23:58
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

That link just leads to a 'reply' box.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 06:19

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

i can understand the op too. i think marcia put it very well. it is a choice, and i also, usually, choose to eat right for me. some days i also long to eat something that i know is terribly bad for me and unfortunately, sometimes i give in to that. for the most part, i'm very happy with what i eat and enjoy the way i feel. but i have those moments where i wish i could sit down and eat like 'normal' people without taking days to get over it.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 06:42

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I just had a beautiful filet--medium rare, with carmelized red onion/mushroom/gorgonzola melange, 3 oz blackberries, 2 glasses of an ESSER carbernet, and a lemon cheesecake mousse for dinner. That's depressing???!

Lisa

That sounds devine!!!!!! Care to cook for me someday?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 07:47
macabrem

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

So many great replies above. I especially like what Lisa said above.

It really is a psychological battle. I still struggle with it sometimes.

I remember in Atkins New Diet Revolution, Dr. A. really stressed how we have all kinds of food choices. Think how many people would be envious just knowing you can lose weight on steak, eggs, bacon, sausage, veggies smothered in butter & cream, etc. Those might not be the best examples, but keep in mind many people on the "other side" of dietary thinking feel deprived themselves. Or, if they don't feel deprived, they feel out of control because they can't control their food choices and what they put into their mouths.

Sometimes you have to remind yourself if the cup is half full or half empty. Do you want to be negative or positive? The negative way of thinking is "I can't have doughnuts, cookies, etc." or "I shouldn't eat that". The positive way is "I can have steak, hamburger, cheese, and many life giving nutrient rich veggies."

Try to focus on what you can have, not what you can't. Get creative in the kitchen if necessary. Re-read your Atkins book if necessary.