Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 22:06

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Amber just had a baby- maybe she is?

Congrats BTW Amber!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 22:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodg4kat
I posted this in my journal but thought you all would appreciate the information.

After spending most of yesterday and today (at work) reading about zero carb....and nearly two months of not being able to be successful for any length of time on any other LC plan...I have decided to start ZC tomorrow.

Wish me luck and send me whatever info about the plan you think may be helpful.

Good Luck! I had the same problem with low carb. The cravings would get the best of me. ZC fixed that for me. If you have not been to ZIOH, there is alot of info there. There are some carnivores on the Paleo forum here too.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 22:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
No, I wasn't doing LC at the time. I'd been eating junk for a few weeks. Thanks for the potassium tip.

Amber is right about the fat too. I forget that because I tend to eat fatty meat.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 05:27

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

It took my body several months to get over being tired all the time. But, I was nursing when I switched, so that could have factored into the situation.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 06:07

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoulia
Inside or out, the baby will steal what it needs from you

Wait till they get to college - it's even worse!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 06:11

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

A new thread... glad to see this is going strong
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 06:19

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 315/197/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

I've been doing this for about a month and in the beginning, I was exhausted. My energy has improved, but it's still not where it was when I was carbing. Give it time, it will get better.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 06:44

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Someone on the old thread asked about thyroid. I was hypothyroid and went off my medication when zc. It was rough for a while there, but all balanced out. I was on a very low dose of Synthoid before.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 08:09

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Cool to see this morphing now into a new thread. I was down in NC visiting my dad and sister for Thanksgiving week. I didn't fall face-down into the nasty carbage (no grains, no sugar) but did eat some of the veggies, and I have to say they tasted *damn good* to me. I enjoyed every single bite. My son made a yam dish for Thanksgiving that was one of the tastiest things I've had in years.

I have to confess that I do enjoy some veggies, and they never cause me any sorts of cravings. I ate like a *pig* the whole time I was down in NC - plenty of cheese and eggs and meat, but also plenty of veggies, including SF pumpkin soufflé with freshly whipped heavy cream. Also some plain, unsweetened sliced apples baked with cinnamon, butter and chopped pecans, and also topped with plenty of whipped cream! I loved it all and no hint of any cravings. Still came home a half pound lighter than when I had gone down there. Now I'm back to basically ZC as I enjoy that, and it's so darn easy when I'm cooking just for me. I went to Whole Foods when I came home - primarily to get my *favorite* bacon, and damned if they didn't have any of it! But they had London Broil and stewing chuck steak chunks on sale for $3.99/pound, so I bought some and cooked it up in the crockpot. Yum, my favorite way to cook it. Down some more this morning to hit a new low. That halfway mark is right around the corner.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 08:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMiller26
I've been doing this for about a month and in the beginning, I was exhausted. My energy has improved, but it's still not where it was when I was carbing. Give it time, it will get better.

Thanks, MMiller. I'm not quite so dragged out this morning - we'll see what happens once I get going today. I'm starting to think that sleep may be part of the problem. In the beginning of ketosis I'm usually really wired and have trouble sleeping. From what I've read, sleep improves dramatically for a lot of ZCers. I did sleep longer last night than usual, so maybe I'm almost there. *fingers crossed*

Glad your energy is up. Good luck!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: Pure Carnivore (+salt :-)
Stats: 289/240/00 Male 5'9"
BF:35?%/?%/10%?
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
No, I wasn't doing LC at the time. I'd been eating junk for a few weeks. Thanks for the potassium tip.
I didn't have much adaptation time at all and felt good quickly, but was coming from VLC so was used to ketosis. Three weeks is usually enough time though. The one thing I'd think of is fat calories. If you're not eating fatty meat (or have concentrated fat like butter, lard, tallow, cream, etc.) you could be getting too little fat.

Please let us know how it goes, as I don't know many folks who sent from SAD to ZC.

joe
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 08:37
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Welcome aboard, Dodg4kat! I think you'll experience great things eating ZC; I certainly have.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 08:37
Registered Member

Plan: Zero carb
Stats: 214/205/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'm on my 5th day of ZC and it's so much easier to do while journaling and reading more of the boards.

I have my tired days and my not so tired days.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 09:00
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

this is as strong as an AA meeting.
the more you come, the more inspired you get.
take what you need and leave the rest.

subscribe to the thread.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 09:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB2
I didn't have much adaptation time at all and felt good quickly, but was coming from VLC so was used to ketosis. Three weeks is usually enough time though. The one thing I'd think of is fat calories. If you're not eating fatty meat (or have concentrated fat like butter, lard, tallow, cream, etc.) you could be getting too little fat.

Please let us know how it goes, as I don't know many folks who sent from SAD to ZC.

joe

Hey, Joe! I've been on and off lowcarb for five (!) years, and this time - on ZC - is the longest I've lasted. I'm shocked that I've gone over three weeks with no trouble at all. I've been in ketosis hundreds of times (no kidding), but never for more than a few days. The first day or two, usually 3 or 4 days into lc, I get a tremendous burst of energy and feel fantastic. Then after about 2 or 3 days my heart starts pounding and racing at odd times, often in the middle of the night. This always scared me and I would either quit the diet, or eat more carbs to alleviate the problem. The carbs would apparently cause cravings and I would go back to eating SAD once again. (Of course, in the second situation, I didn't know the carbs were causing my cravings - I just always blamed myself for not having enough willpower.)

I searched for an answer for years, and got lots of suggestions, but nothing helped. I finally found out (on the PaNu website, I think) that the heart pounding is caused by the body producing epinephrine to help the liver switch over to glucose production and is a normal part of keto-adaptation. Most people aren't bothered by it, but some are more sensitive, like me. Anyway, once I knew my heart wasn't about to explode I just determined to push through it, because adding carbs just starts the whole process over again and you never get adapted. (Sorry if I'm going on and on about something you already know...I just figured there might be someone out there reading this with the same problem. )

As to the fat - yes, I'm eating plenty. I eat fatty meat, and when I'm not sure, I add butter and some heavy cream to my diet.

Thank you - I'll keep you posted.
Closed Thread