Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-09, 16:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Sources of protein even vegans can't quibble over?

Giant Snails Could Address Malnutrition
Eh? I mean, snails are in direct competition with vegans for vegetables. Surely they could see their way towards letting people eat them.

And kids preferred the Snail pie to Beef pie!
Quote:
A nutritionist in Nigeria says that malnutrition and iron deficiency in schoolchildren could be reduced in her country by baking up snail pie. In a research paper to be published in the International Journal of Food Safety, Nutrition and Public Health, she explains snail is not only cheaper and more readily available than beef but contains more protein.

Ukpong Udofia of the Department of Home Economics, at the University of Uyo, has looked at the moisture levels, protein content, and iron composition of the flesh of the giant West African land snail and compared it to beef steak. Snail pie is much more nutritious than a beef pie, she says.

Udofia and her research team baked pies of both varieties and asked young mothers and their children to try the tasty meal. Most of them preferred the taste and texture of the pies baked with the snail Archachatina marginata to those made with beef. The kids and their mothers judged the snail pies to have a better appearance, texture, and flavor.

I would eat 'em! I've had escargot before, thought it was very tasty. Might take me awhile to get used to it but I'd definitely do it.
Quote:
Snail meat contains protein, fat (mainly polyunsaturated fatty acid), iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, zinc, vitamins A, B6, B12, K and folate. It also contains the amino acids arginine and lysine at higher levels than in whole egg. It also contains healthy essential fatty acids such as linoleic and linolenic acids. The high-protein, low-fat content of snail meat makes it a healthy alternative food.

Maybe I should raise giant snails. It might satisfy the itch I have for animal husbandry.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-09, 21:00

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Nothing wrong with snail. It's a bit like a land shrimp.

Although, I would hazard to say that a lot of vegan would object strenously. I knew a vegan once that wouldn't eat popcorn because the dye used in some popcorn was made from the crushed shells of insects.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-09, 21:49

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Mmmmm, cochineal extract. I saw some guy on PBS talking about traditional weaving and he tossed some dried cochineals in a mortar & pestle to show his class. They've been used in dyes for centuries.

I'm not buying the "healthy" angle. Sounds like they think snails are healthy because they're low in fat but high in PUFAs. No thanks. Linoleic acid is the problem, not the solution.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-09, 21:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wonder if they'd be higher in omega-3 if they were fed on grass. Grass-fed, free range snails.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-09, 22:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/193/170 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I wonder if they'd be higher in omega-3 if they were fed on grass. Grass-fed, free range snails.

Over 100 years ago, we had grass fed free range cattle tended by grown men called "cowboys".

Can you imagine herds of free range snail, tended by "snailboys".

Maybe in the spirit of sexual equality, there could be "snailgirls" too.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-09, 22:21

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Really, the only thing I could taste in Escargot was the garlic butter. Everything tastes better with garlic butter!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-09, 23:57
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I have an idea. You know all those animals that PETA kills every year, to "save them" from the horror of becoming someone's beloved pet? How about the vegans eat THEM? After all, the ultimate vegan organization is killing them anyway, so it's not like they are dying for food! In fact it would be a great respect to make their otherwise pointless deaths go to SOME good use. Quick visit to chinatown probably has no end of great recipes for cat and dog (at least so one of my chinese friends once assured me!).

PJ
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-21-09, 00:20

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I have an idea. You know all those animals that PETA kills every year, to "save them" from the horror of becoming someone's beloved pet? PJ

WHAT!!! PJ, I missed that chapter! PETA is killing animals to "save" them from becoming someone's pet? Are they all totally mad??? (well, don't answer that one! )
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-21-09, 08:19

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
The high-protein, low-fat content of snail meat makes it a healthy alternative food.
The dogma is transparent. I guess that's why snail is traditionally served with melted butter. But that's escargots, you say. What's the difference, I say. They're both slugs. The point is, every recipe I know of made of lean meats almost always include some form of fat, and lots of it, in which we dip, lather on, cook, bake, broil, etc, the meat. Every recipe that tastes good, I mean.

I have to wonder just how warped our view of food is when the emphasis is put on protein and away from fat.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-09, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: _Protein Power
Stats: 295/280/225 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Be sure to cook them properly. Check out the Lighter side of Death episode of 1000 Ways to Die. Apparently eating them raw can be a wee bit dangerous.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-09, 15:46

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Maybe snails are a safer or more nutritious protein alternative to what I've heard some impoverished Africans have to eat--rodents. Easier to catch, at least.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-09, 16:03

I dunno, I'd rather have hyrax than snail.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=404116
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-09, 17:35

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

I used to catch and purge snails. I'd fed them only carrots for a week or so, then wrap those suckers in bacon I've been trying to start a snail husbandry project in NYC, but most of the experts are in Europe. It's easy enough to catch wild ones, but raising and breeding them yourself is much harder. I put that I was interested in them in one of my social networking NYC profiles and I get emails about it more than I expected. There is lots of interest in these sorts of things....maybe it's the recession?

BTW there are a bunch of other cool small animal husbandry things going on in urban areas of the US. It's not just chickens and bees....rabbits and tilapia are getting some serious attention. They are the perfect companions for urban gardens...they eat waste quite efficiently and poop out manure.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-09, 19:38

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I prefer to take snails, slugs and other creepy crawly things and feed them to my ducks. They then convert these icky things in to eggs and meat. One of the advantages of being higher on the food chain....I DON'T HAVE TO EAT SLUGS!!! LOL
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-09, 20:00

By the way, every time I see the title of this thread I want to argue with it. I know quite a few vegans, and none of them would consider slugs a morally acceptable food. Some of them won't even eat honey.

But you were probably joking, weren't you?