Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 23:02
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Default Full list of Hypothyroid symptoms -- in a 'range'

This is the best site I've found that lists all Hypo symptoms but more importantly, puts them within a range that's easy to see and understand.

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C20313.html

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 07:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
This is the best site I've found that lists all Hypo symptoms but more importantly, puts them within a range that's easy to see and understand.
http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C20313.html
Lisa

Interesting list. There is also an interesting quiz at http://thyroid.about.com/library/hypoquiz that goes through a lot of symptoms above plus some others. I took the quiz and the answer it gave me was:

Quote:
You answered 6 items out of 41 in a way that indicates hypothyroidism risks and symptoms.

Your score is 15%. You have a few risks and symptoms for hypothyroidism, but not many. You should, however, have your thyroid checked out.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 08:02

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Interesting list. There is also an interesting quiz at http://thyroid.about.com/library/hypoquiz that goes through a lot of symptoms above plus some others. I took the quiz and the answer it gave me was:

My guess is that your body has found a way to palliate around most of the hypo symptoms.

Patrick
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 09:18
Registered Member

Quote:
Your score is 15%. You have a few risks and symptoms for hypothyroidism, but not many. You should, however, have your thyroid checked out.

And when you did check it out the answer came back loud and clear: Even with 'few symptoms' you turned out to be very hypo anyway. This is why using online 'lists' instead of getting the actual blood tests you need is extremely unreliable and maybe even dangerous. Imagine if you hadn't had the blood tests -- you would have read that list and said 'That's not me' -- when in fact, it is. Imagine taking medicine to 'fix' the problem without taking all of the tests you'll now need to find out exactly WHY and HOW your thyroid is dysfunctional.

I agree with Patrick that our bodies have a way of coping with illness in ways that can fool us into thinking everything is okay. Given the amazing efforts you've undertaken to lose weight, which should have been 100% successful long, long ago -- your inability to do so was the real clue you had (and those of us like you should have) that despite the lack of other symptoms, something was seriously wrong. I'm glad you now have the indisputable truth that it's your thyroid, not any particular way of eating or not eating you may have tried.

Lisa
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 10:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sometimes it's the pituitary gland that can screw up. Rare, but not unheard of.

TSH also doesn't necessarily correspond to the severity of the symptoms. http://www.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/326/7384/311.pdf
Quote:
Primary hypothyroidism is a graded phenomenon
with a wide spectrum of severity between subclinical
hypothyroidism and overt hypothyroidism. Patients
with biochemically severe hypothyroidism may present
with only mild clinical manifestations, whereas some
patients with moderate changes in thyroid hormones
may present with severe signs of tissue hypothyroid~
ism.
The measurement of pituitary thyroid stimulating
hormone (TSH) is the most sensitive test for early
diagnosis of primary hypothyroidism. The magnitude
of elevation of TSH is commonly believed to
correspond to the severity of tissue hypothyroidism.
We aimed to evaluate the value of measuring serum
TSH in assessing the severity of tissue hypothyroidism
in patients with overt hypothyroidism...

...TSH is a poor measure for estimating the clinical
and metabolic severity of primary overt thyroid
failure. This is in sharp contrast to the high diagnostic
accuracy of TSH measurement for early diagnosis of
hypothyroidism.
We found no correlations between the different
parameters of target tissues and serum TSH. Our find~
ings are in accordance with a cross sectional study
showing only a modest correlation between TSH and
the percentage of positive hypothyroid symptoms
and
data showing discordant responses between the
pituitary and peripheral target tissues in patients
treated with l~triiodothyronine.
We assume that secre~
tion of TSH is driven by maximal stimulation, with no
further increase occurring with greater severity of
hypothyroidism. Therefore, the biological effects of
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 10:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
T4 works great for a lot of folks...Anyway, if you don't like how you feel that'd be a good time to explore taking T3 too.

It does make me wonder a lot about percentages of folks. I mean it's the people who fall outside the box that get involved more online to find out the reasons why. People who *don't* feel better on T4, people who *don't* find it easy to lose weight following "approved" methods etc.

But are there any numbers on what percentages we are talking about? As for diet it seems to me that probably 98% or better can't lose weight by conventional means.

But how about thyroid? Clearly Synthroid seems to be the most common treatment of choice these days. Every single person I know in "real life" who has thyroid problems is on Synthroid (or generic). And all of them say it has turned their lives around! I find it hard to believe it works for no one.

But who *does* it work for? New information about the diabetes drug Byetta that I've been reading said that for those it works for it works spectacularly well - but that it only works for about a third of the people who try it. 33% success rate for a drug does not seem so high, but if it is a wonderful success for those 33% then I can see why it is worth continuing to market it, and to give it to patients.

So does T4 work for 33% who take it? 75% 98%? What percentage of the patients need alternative treatments?

I don't have answers to any of those questions. Just lots of questions.

Interesting that there are lots of medical tests you can self-order at https://sttm.mymedlab.com for thyroid and all sorts of other things. Just print out the DLO (Digital Lab Order) and take it with you to the nearest LabCorp.

You can do this in 47 states of the union, every single state *except* New York, Rhode Island and *New Jersey* (my home state, ).

I called and spoke to MyMedLab about it. They said that NJ residents can still sign up for and pay for the tests - they just have to go to a LabCorp in either Delaware, Connecticut or Pennsylvania to have the blood drawn. So I can still do it. It just means a 2+ hour round-trip drive instead of a 10-minute round-trip (the round trip to my closest Labcorp). <sigh> I suppose the laws are still trying to protect us from ourselves and instead screwing us.

Last edited by Merpig : Wed, Nov-04-09 at 10:29.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 10:38

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

The other question I have with Synthroid is, why is it considered a chronic condition so that you have to take the drug forever?

There are doctors out there who advise healing the underlying condition and so you don't have to take chronic medicine. Byron Richards is a CCN for example who sells supplements to heal, not just to treat.

But the standard of care says that low thyroid is "chronic" = guaranteed forever income stream for medical treatment.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 10:53
Experimenter

BF:

Well, Hashimoto's and Graves disease are autoimmune disease and I know eventually in Hashi's, unless it goes into remission, it can eventually cause the thyroid gland to stop working altogether. It's autoimmune, so presumably the antibodies are attacking the thyroid gland.

I guess when they figure out how to make autoimmune diseases stop attacking the body (which is what they do) then that'll be the cure.

Hypothyroid caused by iodine deficiency is easy to cure obviously.

As far as the T3/T4 debate goes. Here's what I think. Based on my own experience. I wasn't on an optimal doses of synthroid so I felt poopy. However, I fell within the normal range. So I looked for answers and stumble on T3 and how it helped some people. I tried it. I felt really good for a couple of weeks, then I started feeling awful. But I stuck it out for a few months. I quietly fell off the band wagon and went back to T4. However, I was very enthusiastic about it when I first encountered it.

I believe there are people too that do need some T3 and feel better with it and they're very, very enthusiastic about it. Also, the newly converted tend to be pretty excited. I know I was.

I would actually like to try T3 again, but in a much, much smaller dose than you can get in natural thyroid. The issue is though that it doesn't come time released so it wears off pretty quickly.

Quote:
There are doctors out there who advise healing the underlying condition and so you don't have to take chronic medicine. Byron Richards is a CCN for example who sells supplements to heal, not just to treat.
Or so they claim...
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 12:30

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
I guess when they figure out how to make autoimmune diseases stop attacking the body (which is what they do) then that'll be the cure.
I know several groups of "let food be your medicine" advocates who have seen auto-immune diseases regress with diet, including thyroid. One is the reports of Kwasniewski - if the disease isn't gone too far it can regress. Another is the community at Yahoo "soilandhealth". Another is the community at Yahoo "native-nutrition."

Of course these communities' experience aren't confirmed by science yet but the anecdotes are there.

rant on!!!
And to those who say anecdotes aren't science, I say, yes they are. They are the very beginnings - anecdotes are almost always what starts the scientific investigation... "hmm that is interesting, why is that"?
rant off.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 12:32
Registered Member

Quote:
I wasn't on an optimal doses of synthroid so I felt poopy. However, I fell within the normal range.

Your first and second clue you should not be taking T4.

Quote:
So I looked for answers and stumble on T3 and how it helped some people. I tried it. I felt really good for a couple of weeks, then I started feeling awful. But I stuck it out for a few months.

You should not have taken it that way. It's not meant to be taken that way -- 'sticking it out for months'. There are specific protocols for T3 treatment, and that's not one of them.

Quote:
I would actually like to try T3 again, but in a much, much smaller dose than you can get in natural thyroid. The issue is though that it doesn't come time released so...

It does. It's called SRT3 and is compounded by a compounding pharmacy to your doctor's specification for YOUR thyroid problem, which can only be determined by blood tests. Trial and error rarely works, as you've already seen firsthand.

Lisa
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 13:11
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I know several groups of "let food be your medicine" advocates who have seen auto-immune diseases regress with diet, including thyroid. One is the reports of Kwasniewski - if the disease isn't gone too far it can regress. Another is the community at Yahoo "soilandhealth". Another is the community at Yahoo "native-nutrition."

I agree that diet is very helpful with autoimmune disease. I have personal experience with that. In fact, going gluten free seems to help a lot of people with thyroid illness.

But I think anyone who is claiming they can cure Hashimoto's with supplements is just looking to turn a quick buck. Of course because there is a rather highish remission rate with thyroid disease all they need to do is find a couple of people who go into remission to write up some testimonials. They won't even know they've been duped.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 13:41
Registered Member

Exclamation Your Thyroid 'problem' -- Type 1 or Type 2?

Quote:
Clearly Synthroid seems to be the most common treatment of choice these days. Every single person I know in "real life" who has thyroid problems is on Synthroid (or generic). And all of them say it has turned their lives around! I find it hard to believe it works for no one. So does T4 work for 33% who take it? 75% 98%?

Deb, your question made me laugh. When I explain why, you're going to laugh too. It's the equivalent of someone who's been told they are diabetic (without being told if they have Type 1 or Type 2) -- saying "Well, why can't I just inject insulin? It works for every Type 1 diabetic I know!"

You've leapt to a very logical (but incorrect) conclusion: that "the thyroid" is a monolithic object rather than an entire metabolic system, and that "treating it" means treating the organ (the gland) rather than the hormones that support the gland.

The diabetes analogy is a good one, because it will hopefully help me to write about this in a way that will clarify the issue for you in a concrete way.

If it turns out that you have the thyroid equivalent of Type 1 diabetes (that is, you have a goiter, which means that there's a problem with the gland itself, or you are converting food into insufficient T4 in the gland) -- then you will indeed be put on Synthroid, and you will have to take it for life. As with Type 1 diabetes, there is currently no cure for a non-working Thyroid GLAND. And T4 is to a large extent, but not exclusively, made in the gland itself.

However, if you have the Type 2 diabetes thyroid equivalent -- it means you have a problem with the T1 or T2 or (in 99.9% of the cases) T3 hormones that support the gland.

But guess what? T1, T2 and T3 -- unlike T4 -- are not made in the gland!

T4 is NOT the physiologically active hormone. Instead it needs to be converted by an enzyme called 5'-deiodinase (the ' after the five means "prime") in order to become the active hormone T3 (liothyronine). At least 80% of the body's daily production of T3 is produced not in the thyroid gland, but in the tissues of your body (liver, kidney, etc.).

T3 IS the physiologically active thyroid hormone and is 4 times more potent, and 3 times shorter acting than T4. T3 is what goes to all the cells in the body and tells them how fast to operate, which determines the body temperature.

5' deiodinase has two jobs. It converts T4 to T3, and it converts RT3 to T2.

5 deiodinase (note, no "prime") is the enzyme that converts T4 to RT3.

The specific route by which this conversion happens:

5' deiodinase (5 "prime" deiodinase) plucks the iodine atom off the 5' position of T4 to make T3. It also converts RT3 to T2. T3 is 4 times more potent than T4 and is the primary agonist (stimulator) at the cell level.

But if the 5' deiodinase gets blocked at the cell receptor level, T4 gets converted by 5 (no prime) deiodinase into rT3 instead of T3.

It's exactly like becoming insulin resistant. Instead of glucose being taken up by insulin to the cells for food, the cells have blocked their insulin receptors and the insulin must then carry the glucose to the liver to be converted to adipose fat for storage.

The pancreas just thinks it's not producing enough insulin and makes even more, creating more blocked cell receptors. Would you tell someone in this condition to take insulin to fix the problem because after all, insulin works great for lots of diabetic folks? No, of course not. You would tell this person to begin making the dietary changes needed to slow down insulin production and increase insulin sensitivity.

If they don't listen, what will happen? Even the fat cells will become insulin resistant and then the pancreas will burn out, turning them from a Type 2 to a Type 1 diabetic. Then they'll be able to use insulin all right!

Well, having blocked T3 cell receptors because your T4 is converting not into T3 but into rT3 (not glucose into food, but into adipose fat storage) and pouring MORE T4 into your system will do the same thing: burn out your entire thyroid system. Then sure, you'll be on T4 forever, and T3 too.

"Under stress (and this can take many forms, including calorie and/or carbohydrate restriction over an extended period of time) the body converts T4 less to T3 and more to RT3 to conserve energy. With less T3, the cells of the body slow down. This makes it clear that there is a peripheral auto-regulatory mechanism as well as the glandular one that regulates T4 production. And there is a glandular auto-regulatory mechanism (negative feedback inhibition), that regulates the thyroid gland's T4 production. The amount of T4 that is converted peripherally to the active T3 can drop by 50%. And at the same time, the amount of T4 converted to the inactive RT3 can increase by 50%."

This understanding of the glandular problem (goiter, not enough T4 production in the gland) vs. the peripheral T4 to rT3 problem also answers SeeJay's question about why people stay on Synthroid forever, whereas that is not the case (or should not be the case) for Cytomel.

In the case of a Type 1 diabetes thyroid equivalent, the nature of the glandular problem is likely chronic and incurable (now, anyway), so synthetic T4 must, like insulin, be taken daily and forever.

In the case of a Type 2 diabetes thyroid equivalent, the problem lies in the peripheral tissue and organs, and a short course of the right amount of T3, given in the correct protocol, can drain the rT3 reservoir, unblock the T3 cell receptors and 'fix' the problem -- just as a change from a sugar and fructose-laden high carb diet to a sugar and fructose-free low carb, high fat diet can restore insulin sensitivity to cells. Unless one reverts back to old behavior and/or eating patterns, the fix should be permanent.

This also explains, btw, one noted 'marker' for an rT3 problem and what happens when you fix it: Total Cholesterol level changes.

People who eat a high fat, low carb diet should have very normal TC after one year. But because the 5' deiodinase -- in the liver, remember -- is one of the signals given to the liver that cholesterol levels are fine, and that signal is replaced by the inactive 5 (no prime) deiodinase molecule, the liver keeps churning out what it believes is missing but needed. Cholesterol. That's why mine has increased dramatically in the last two years (as my rT3 problem increased) despite extremely low risk markers for heart disease otherwise. Mine went from 200 to 381 in just 24 months. You didn't answer my question about whether yours was over 200, but I'm guessing it is.

Cytomel therapy has another 'side-effect' and you can probably guess now what it it: dramatic lowering of TC. And now you know why, and exactly how that works, and why every Medical Journal article on the subject specifically states that high TC caused by peripheral thyroid hormone problems be treated by thyroid medication (which you also now know must be T3, and not T4), and not statins. It's the only time I've ever seen statins not suggested by the statinators for curing anything. With my T3 therapy, I expect my TC to, in the words of the Medical Journals -- drop like a rock.

So to answer your original question that made me laugh: "Does T4 work for 33% who take it? 75% 98%?" -- T4 therapy given to patients with a thyroid glandular problem (that is, the Type 1's of the thyroid world) should be 100% effective, 100% of the time.

Otoh, giving T4 therapy to patients who have peripheral thyroid hormone problems (the Type 2's of the thyroid world) is the same as giving them cotton candy, in ever increasing doses. It might make them feel better (high on the excess glucose) for a short while, and then it will, if not stopped, cause severe damage throughout the body.

At this moment you have no idea if you are Type 1 or Type 2 and speculating about what drug or drugs you will need is futile. You need to get the tests done -- all the tests -- that will tell you which type of thyroid problem you have, and that will tell you what specific drug you need, and in what dose and protocol, to take to help it.

Lisa
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 14:28
Registered Member

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 196.2/137/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Outer third, heck! My ENTIRE browline is barely there, and when something does come in, I enjoy it for five minutes before it falls right out. I've had to become an expert with the brow pencil (I'm sure other people don't see it as so 'expert' though) lol Also, haven't been able to keep eyelashes for about 7 years (I'm 47 now).
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 14:58
Experimenter

BF:

Have you ever gotten your thyroid checked, Mindful2? My eyebrows get very sparse when I'm hypothyroid.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Nov-05-09, 11:15

BF:

Quote:
Deb, your question made me laugh. When I explain why, you're going to laugh too. It's the equivalent of someone who's been told they are diabetic (without being told if they have Type 1 or Type 2) -- saying "Well, why can't I just inject insulin? It works for every Type 1 diabetic I know!"

Well it doesn't really make me laugh without knowing what percentage of people with thyroid problems fall into which categories. Ditto with diabetes. What percentage are Type 1 and which percentage are Type 2? Again, I don't know the percentages. I'm just making up numbers. But suppose 90% are Type 1 (which I'm sure is not the case, I'm just making this up!). Then finding out you have diabetes and wondering if taking insulin is the correct course for you, as everyone you know takes it, would actually *be* correct in 9 cases out of 10. Knowing percentages helps you to "guess" how likely a certain therapy is to help you.

Ditto with the thyroid. Obviously I know that one protocol does not help all. But asking percentages is still a valid question. If I ask what percentage are helped by synthroid - it is 25% or 50% of 98% percent - is still useful, even without knowing what "type" thyroid problem you have. If 98% of thyroid patients are helped by synthroid then the odds are pretty good that you too will be helped by synthroid. Odds are much more likely that you must have the sort of thyroid problem that responds to synthroid - as *most* people do.

But if only 25% of patients are helped by synthroid then clearly there is a much larger number of people who have different thyroid issues. So I still think my question is reasonably valid without worrying about the actual sort of issues people have. I mean I'm just looking for numbers, not diagnoses. But that's a number I have not seen.
Quote:
You didn't answer my question about whether yours was over 200, but I'm guessing it is.

It is though not excessively so. My standard cholesterol numbers were:
TC - 229
HDL - 52
LDL - 165
TG - 65

In fact TC is only one point away from that of my 6-foot-tall and 122-pound sister. (her TC is 228)