Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 12:23
mainecyn's Avatar
mainecyn mainecyn is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 6,011
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%
Location: Wyoming
Default

Still not smoking. Its getting easier, still don't like it, but doing it. Brian still smokes in the bedroom, not as often. The filtration system in our room really makes it so you can't smell it at all and I noticed that the two he had last night, I didn't want one when he did.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 13:57
gadge's Avatar
gadge gadge is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 504
 
Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%
Location: LA Metro
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
Still not smoking. Its getting easier, still don't like it, but doing it. Brian still smokes in the bedroom, not as often. The filtration system in our room really makes it so you can't smell it at all and I noticed that the two he had last night, I didn't want one when he did.


That is awesome! You are doing really well. Congratulations!
Reply With Quote
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 05:07
Krystin's Avatar
Krystin Krystin is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 26
 
Plan: the zone
Stats: 242/241.8/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Location: Roquemaure, Abitibi, QC
Default

Yes you are doing great!! Don't give up!! Still haven't touched it either and it's still hard sometime but I know we can do it!! Congratulations!!!
Reply With Quote
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 08:04
magic76's Avatar
magic76 magic76 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 130
 
Plan: Modified Low-Carb
Stats: 155/148/142 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:28%/23.6%/18%
Progress: 46%
Location: USA
Default

I wish I had your willpower. My goal is to quit starting November 1. Hopefully I can be as successful as you. Last time I tried, I made it 12 hours, yelled at my husband and went and bought a pack.
Reply With Quote
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 10:58
LMMS's Avatar
LMMS LMMS is offline
What a good girl!!!
Posts: 2,852
 
Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%
Location: Chicago suburbs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic76
I wish I had your willpower. My goal is to quit starting November 1. Hopefully I can be as successful as you. Last time I tried, I made it 12 hours, yelled at my husband and went and bought a pack.


It took you 12 hours to yell at your husband?? I usually try to do that on a regular basis. LOL. I never had the willpower to quit. I tried once and made it 2 months but I constantly wanted one and went back. I tried the patch, didn't work. But I read a book that got me to quit forever after 22 years and had no side effects. I never wanted one or missed them ever. The book I read was The Easyway to stop smoking by Allen Carr. I am a very skeptical person but it worked. Don't know if it will help you but I had no cravings for cigarettes again. In fact, I can't stand to be around people smoking now. It's been over 2 years never wanted a cigarette ever.

Good luck with November 1st. When you haven't smoked for a couple years, the only thing that happens is you wish you did it earlier because it feels so great.

Lisa
Reply With Quote
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-09, 06:46
magic76's Avatar
magic76 magic76 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 130
 
Plan: Modified Low-Carb
Stats: 155/148/142 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:28%/23.6%/18%
Progress: 46%
Location: USA
Default

I think I'm going to have to get that book. I've tried everything else and nothing worked. I've smoked about a pack a day for 19 years. I really do want to quit. I've seen that book mentioned several times.

Oh, by the way, the reason it took me 12 hours to yell at my husband is that I hadn't seen him for the first 11 hours. It really only took me an hour to yell at him.
Reply With Quote
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-09, 07:49
LMMS's Avatar
LMMS LMMS is offline
What a good girl!!!
Posts: 2,852
 
Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%
Location: Chicago suburbs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic76
I think I'm going to have to get that book. I've tried everything else and nothing worked. I've smoked about a pack a day for 19 years. I really do want to quit. I've seen that book mentioned several times.

Oh, by the way, the reason it took me 12 hours to yell at my husband is that I hadn't seen him for the first 11 hours. It really only took me an hour to yell at him.


Now that's more like it. Sometimes my DH doesn't even get through the front door before I am yelling at him to walk the dog or take out the trash. Gotta keep him guessing. LOL.

I say go for it with the book. Let me know if it works for you. I have never had anyone that wanted to read it, really, that I know. They just want to hold on to their cigarettes more. I just know that I have such an addictive personality, there was no way a book was going to help me but it did. Crazy. I don't believe in anything really but this book. Hey, if it doesn't work, you hardly spent anything. You can smoke while you are reading it but I already quit when I found it because I thought I was going to light up. Never even heard of this guy but found the book in Barnes and Noble and it was awesome. Fun to read too. He's not preachy. He doesn't insult your intelligence by saying smoking is bad for you. DUH, everyone already knows that and it doesn't help to know that.

But if it works for you, please let me know. It would be great to talk to someone who tried it. But really, you should just leave your willpower at home because you don't need any. I never think about smoking and that used to be all I thought about. Like, when can I have another one. Going outside in the winter in Chicago to smoke is a pain. But I was out there. I quit before they passed the law here banning smoking in restaurants and bars which normally I am against those types of laws. Live and let live is more me. But, I have to tell you it has made life easier for me because the smell not makes me sick. I hate to be near it. Went to Vegas and almost died with the smell of the smoke in the casinos. I don't know if the book did that to me or what but it was the the best thing that happened to me.

Either way, good luck. It is nice to get rid of that habit. It really is.

Lisa
Reply With Quote
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-09, 08:40
magic76's Avatar
magic76 magic76 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 130
 
Plan: Modified Low-Carb
Stats: 155/148/142 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:28%/23.6%/18%
Progress: 46%
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMMS
Now that's more like it. Sometimes my DH doesn't even get through the front door before I am yelling at him to walk the dog or take out the trash. Gotta keep him guessing. LOL.

I say go for it with the book. Let me know if it works for you. I have never had anyone that wanted to read it, really, that I know. They just want to hold on to their cigarettes more. I just know that I have such an addictive personality, there was no way a book was going to help me but it did. Crazy. I don't believe in anything really but this book. Hey, if it doesn't work, you hardly spent anything. You can smoke while you are reading it but I already quit when I found it because I thought I was going to light up. Never even heard of this guy but found the book in Barnes and Noble and it was awesome. Fun to read too. He's not preachy. He doesn't insult your intelligence by saying smoking is bad for you. DUH, everyone already knows that and it doesn't help to know that.

But if it works for you, please let me know. It would be great to talk to someone who tried it. But really, you should just leave your willpower at home because you don't need any. I never think about smoking and that used to be all I thought about. Like, when can I have another one. Going outside in the winter in Chicago to smoke is a pain. But I was out there. I quit before they passed the law here banning smoking in restaurants and bars which normally I am against those types of laws. Live and let live is more me. But, I have to tell you it has made life easier for me because the smell not makes me sick. I hate to be near it. Went to Vegas and almost died with the smell of the smoke in the casinos. I don't know if the book did that to me or what but it was the the best thing that happened to me.

Either way, good luck. It is nice to get rid of that habit. It really is.

Lisa


I ordered two copies today. One for me and one for my friend who is going to try and quit with me. So, I am buying my last carton today (going to a party this weekend and know that I will smoke), and I figure by the time I smoke most of it, the book will be here and I'll start reading. Hopefully, by the time I get near the end, I will never have to buy another carton again. I'll keep you posted.
Reply With Quote
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Oct-24-09, 17:38
mainecyn's Avatar
mainecyn mainecyn is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 6,011
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%
Location: Wyoming
Default

Still hanging in there. Its getting tough. Last night I kept reaching for my pack, over and over. I was pacing and today, just ticked and edgy. I would sell my soul for a cigarette, which is why i can't cheat. I haven't, not once. So, day 16.
Reply With Quote
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Oct-24-09, 17:43
mainecyn's Avatar
mainecyn mainecyn is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 6,011
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%
Location: Wyoming
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystin
Yes you are doing great!! Don't give up!! Still haven't touched it either and it's still hard sometime but I know we can do it!! Congratulations!!!


How are you doing. i looked around trying to find a journal for you, couldn't. Hope you are doing ok on your quest to be smoke free too!
Reply With Quote
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Oct-25-09, 14:33
gadge's Avatar
gadge gadge is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 504
 
Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%
Location: LA Metro
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
So, day 16.


You are in CONTROL! That's awesome! Well done.
Reply With Quote
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Oct-25-09, 17:10
LMMS's Avatar
LMMS LMMS is offline
What a good girl!!!
Posts: 2,852
 
Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%
Location: Chicago suburbs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic76
I ordered two copies today. One for me and one for my friend who is going to try and quit with me. So, I am buying my last carton today (going to a party this weekend and know that I will smoke), and I figure by the time I smoke most of it, the book will be here and I'll start reading. Hopefully, by the time I get near the end, I will never have to buy another carton again. I'll keep you posted.



That's awesome you are doing it with a friend. When you are reading the book you will have someone to talk to about it. I just forced DH to listen to me read parts to him. Maybe that's why he quit 4 months after I did, who knows. Please give me feedback on what you think about the book. I TOTALLY want to know how it works for you because it saved my life. It was the best thing that ever happened for me and believe me, I am a skeptic of everything but this totally worked for me. Let me know how you are doing and good luck to you and your friend.

Lisa
Reply With Quote
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 13:32
mainecyn's Avatar
mainecyn mainecyn is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 6,011
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%
Location: Wyoming
Default

I know that smoking isn't going to make it all go away, just it makes it easier to deal with. I never knew what a crutch smoking was for me in times of stress etc. Ouch, I am still forgetting things, feeling lost, up and down emotionally. But, haven't relapsed. Almost, but not. I started walking into the 7-11 during my break, was trying to fight the urge to buy a pack..well, got half way..then stopped. I know if i smoke just one there will be no turning back. Brian was texting me this morning tell me to be strong, how proud he is of me, how i can fight this. Helped. It was nice to know he was thinking of me and that he has faith in me and that i can do this or anything else i put my mind to (thats what he tells me).
Reply With Quote
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 10:14
mainecyn's Avatar
mainecyn mainecyn is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 6,011
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%
Location: Wyoming
Default

I made it thru Monday and Tuesday..Thursday is the start of week 3! Still no cheats.
Reply With Quote
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 14:29
tiredangel tiredangel is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,110
 
Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default

I started smoking when I was 12 and quit when I was 24. My husband actually quit a few weeks before I did -- as soon as he quit I first stopped smoking in the house and in the car. He took down the pictures in our home and I saw just how yellow and nasty the walls were -- and pictured that's how my mouth and tongue and lungs must look. Once I got it into my head that I had to quit, since I was no longer smoking in the house or car so I broke a lot of my psychological addiction first, I just did it. It was 3 days of hell, but then easy.

Then again, I've had a few friends who quit quite easily taking welbutrin. I'm glad I went the route I did because I never and I mean NEVER want to feel the way I did those three days. I still occasionally have dreams where I smoke and am addicted to cigarettes -- I'm glad I do because it's a good reminder of how miserable being addicted to them really is.

Find something new for your "me" time. Save the money you spent on cigarette and get your hair and nails done once a week or every other week. Use that money to buy books or whatever. No reason you still can't treat yourself to something special.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54.


Copyright © 2000-2018 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.